X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Winter 2017] BanG Dream! Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    BanG Dream!(バンドリ!)

The anime piece of a multimedia project about a new girls' rock band.

Airs: Saturday, January 21

Studio: Xebec, Issen

MyAnimeList.net
    Anime News Network
    Official website
    Anime Network
    Crunchyroll

Since she was very young, Kasumi Toyama has always been searching for the "Star Beat", a sparkling and exciting sound she heard while looking up at the night sky. Just after getting into high school, Kasumi comes across a "star-shaped guitar" in the storage area of an old pawn shop. Feeling a rush and excitement she has never felt before, Kasumi teams up with four other girls and embarks on a journey to seek out the shiny place. We promise to perform a live here!

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    Last edited by GingaDaiuchuu; 01-23-2017, 07:24 PM.
    My Top Anime | Manga
    My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
    My FP Reviews | Twitter
    FPR Episodes | iTunes

Episode 1

Follow the stars.

That was a rather generic start there, but nevertheless this show has some interesting music. I have seen this time and again where a girl is searching for a club to join, and after being impressed by a band performance, to the music club she goes. Kasumi starts school, meets some friends in Saya and Arisa, and after trying out for several clubs (and this coming a day after something similar happened in Minami Kamakura), she finds the one right for her.

So with that, I'll probably give it another episode, but given its generic start and the need for another subscription that it has a long way to go.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Nanako Yukishiro, Senryu Girl
    Watching: Ingress, Ancient Magus' Bride, Pokemon Sun and Moon, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, DRO, CQK, RSH, AOT, BSD, FRB, OPM, KYB, FGN, SKS, MLA, SMT, HBS, KOT, MIX, WNL, KMA, FIL, IDM, ISQ, SRG, STW
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

With a structure that only introduces the main theme at the very end of the first episode like this, it's hard to judge how the rest of the series will be, but at least I like this look at Kasumi's life before music. It's all very intentionally lovable, but that doesn't make it bad in this case.
      My Top Anime | Manga
      My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
      My FP Reviews | Twitter
      FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Re: BanG Dream! Discussion Thread

I wonder if this will be on Anime Strike?
        Avatar: Shimarin from Laid Back Camo.

Comment

This episode was pretty much what I expected. I wasn't looking for a mind-blowing introduction, but it was a nice, gradual intro with the climax being Kasumi getting awe-stucked by Green*Glitter's performance. There are some similarities to this episode with how Love Live! started with the climax (similar to how Honoka was inspired to create u's after watching A-RISE perform at UTX) and how the girls that will eventually form the band Poppin Party were casually introduced during the episode. I feel that this show could potentially be the next Love Live!.
          Currently Watching | MAL Profile
          Let's make anime great again!

Comment

She averted being woken up by the alarm! Heh, that kind of thing is more relatable to me. No matter when I set an alarm, I always seem to have an uncanny ability to wake up before it goes off anyway.

Kasumi definitely has a rather typical personality for a high school girl music anime lead, though that's not necessarily something I dislike or am too tired with. I am curious to see more of the other girls and how they all come together. Saaya seems playfully fun already. Ah, and Kasumi gets introduced to her by smelling her out... (bakery working friends are always handy for the best food) I wonder how much yuri-goggling potential we will get with this series. With Ayana Yuniko writing it, might be a good amount...

Comment

There were some decent moments, but the first episode felt like it (and in some ways this is true of Kasumi herself) was trying too hard. Or it could be that the whole "Star Beat" line got painful fast. Still there is some potential if the show can settle down in episode 2-3+ and the other girls can balance things out.
              "So be it you have control of the world, but I will rule the universe! The power of Sword and Axe!"
              Avatar: Tatyana of Romancing SaGa 3

Comment

Re: BanG Dream! Discussion Thread

Originally posted by Library-chan View Post
                I wonder if this will be on Anime Strike?

It might be, but Crunchyroll has it now:

http://www.crunchyroll.com/bang-dream

Comment

Generic first episode, except for Kasumi stealing the guitar from someone's shed. WTF girl? The promo art for this is yuritastic, so I hope it will make it into this show.

Comment

Episode 2

A guitar to call her own.

Kasumi sure was really annoying here going to great lengths and bugging Arisa like crazy to get that star-shaped guitar that Arisa had put up for auction. But in the end, she did manage to get it after she broke it due to a faulty case. That was pretty irritating to watch Kasumi being such a pest to Arisa, but at the very least she got Arisa to think about the situation seeing that she's so fixated on certain things.

So with that, I guess one more episode, but chances are it's not going to stick.
                    Simulcasts: FTL, DRO, CQK, RSH, AOT, BSD, FRB, OPM, KYB, FGN, SKS, MLA, SMT, HBS, KOT, MIX, WNL, KMA, FIL, IDM, ISQ, SRG, STW
                    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 2

It's still developing slowly, but that's fine in my book. I rather have the story develop in a consistent pace that trying to rush everything in the first 2-3 episodes.

Anyway the Kasumi-Arisa pairing is a lot of fun. I like how Kasumi was basically "stalking" Arisa in her attempt to get the star-shaped guitar.
                      Last edited by Sabure; 01-28-2017, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Saaya is so dependable. She tries to help Rimi get to be more comfortable and speak for herself when Kasumi enthusiastically drags her along and keeps answering for her. Rimi and Kasumi are such complete opposites in personality types.

Though the clash of personalities this was most focused on with Kasumi and Arisa. Kasumi seems to have the tacit support of Arisa's grandmother, who was also happy to be hospitable when she was over. Wonder if it was because Arisa wasn't ever the type to bring friends home and was happy she mad one. In any case, Arisa the tsundere of course eventually breaks down as she recognizes Kasumi's softer side in addition the ridiculously persistent side.

Mokocchi voice! Of course Mokocchi wouldn't be able to staff a music shop so naturally... love recognizing Kitta Izumi's quirky voices. It looks like, as with all girls in this show voiced by the Milky Holmes VA's, that that character was in the Glitter Green band at the start. Bushiroad promoting their musical talent, though I do like the seiyuu of that group (even though I never got into the Milky Holmes franchise itself).

Interesting to see what we get of the Rimi focus next episode. Her sister seemed kind of happy for her when she thought she might actually be trying out the band thing, even though came yet again from Kasumi answering for her.
                        Last edited by EmperorBrandon; 01-28-2017, 11:38 AM.

Comment

Episode 3

Better late than never.

Kasumi really went overboard there as she went on stage to perform Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star to keep the audience from leaving when Glitter Green was late to arrive to the venue, but by performing live and getting Arisa and Rimi to join her that it convinced Rimi to join the band as stage fright was getting the best of her. That part where Rimi bumped into some English-speaking foreigners is pretty amusing and while Kasumi knows some English, letting them know she's a guitarist wasn't really necessary. In any case, the band now has Rimi on board, but Kasumi's attitude continues to really irritate me.

So with that, this show had been on the outside looking in for this season and I was just bored for the first half of this episode, so I think that will be it for me with this show as far as this season goes.

Comment

Re: Episode 3

Hah, Kasumi gets her guitar confiscated right away. But in this case, it doesn't look like the student council is against what she's doing. It seemed like the president was a member of Glitter Green, and that fact was confirmed later when we see her hanging out with the group later in her regular appearance. It's amusing to see how she changes up her image when she's on stage as keyboardist.

"She's so annoying". Hey, Arisa doesn't step around the obvious here, though she's gotten used to Kasumi's antics by this point. I love how she takes the more comfortable spot next to Saaya when she can. They all can rely on Saaya. I liked the bit later on when she prepared Rimi for having her food dropped by giving her a more appropriate bag. Heh, and Rimi sure has a lot of that pushiness to deal with this episode. It's interesting to see her take the headshaking denial gag (on Kasumi asking if it was her fault) so far that she passed out from the dizziness. Kasumi eventually gets to backing off when she sees Rimi is quite emotional in her reasons for not wanting to go on stage. Rimi gets to be a bit more open about that after Kasumi gets to helping with the foreigners asking for directions ("Hello. I'm Kasumi. I'm guitarist" Was so fun hearing the very appropriate "What?" in response. No one knows what to think of her at first.)

Kasumi is just so danged spontaneous. I figured they were going to go out and perform something to pass some time. "Twinkle Twinkle Little Star" is not something you would expect in that venue at all. But that was a pretty neat opportunity for Rimi-rin to gather her courage and overcome her shyness by doing something pretty neat with that impromptu performance. I like how even Glitter Green does something with that (before their "real performance") when they finally get to showing up. Kasumi sure made for a unique night for the attendees, and now the band really is underway. But they have two more recruitments left for the full band. I'm interested to see how Saaya and the other girl are roped in.

Comment

Arisa, you got befriended. I love the Kasumi/Arisa pairing.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X