X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Winter 2017] Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    小林さんちのメイドラゴン

A show about an office lady living with a dragon girl. This dragon girl was saved and feels obligated to return the favor, though not everything goes as planned.

Airs: Wednesday, January 10

Studio: Kyoto Animation

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

Kobayashi lives alone in an apartment, until one day, Tooru appeared and they ended up living together. Tooru looks down on humans as inferior and foolish, but having been saved by Kobayashi-san, she does everything she can to repay the debt and help her with various things, although not everything goes according to plan.

A mythical everyday life comedy about a hard working office lady living with a dragon girl.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Latina, If It's For My Daughter, I'd Even Defeat a Demon Lord
    Watching: Princess Principal, Darling in the FranXX, Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, KYB, FRB, MIX, FIL, MTI, DUN, ALS, COP, DRS, IDD, FSN-LE, VLS, MMZ, GIV, HES, HDB, AKO, NHG, RST, SND, PKC
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

She doesn't have it maid.

Tohru sure is over her head there as she easily misunderstands things and just doesn't know what being a maid is all about. Cleaning means burning everything (and luckily, she can restore them), laundry means using her saliva to get stains out, and she uses ingredients unfit for human consumption for her meals. Then her way of dealing with burglars is to transform into a dragon to scare them off under Fafnir's advice. While Kobayashi has to put up with quite a lot, at least she enjoys her company.

This show is off to a good start and in a weak season that this is shaping up to be, it certainly has what it takes to earn its spot on my watchlist. It's cute and KyoAni certainly made this show look good seeing that this doesn't exactly feel like something they would do.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Latina, If It's For My Daughter, I'd Even Defeat a Demon Lord
    Watching: Princess Principal, Darling in the FranXX, Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, KYB, FRB, MIX, FIL, MTI, DUN, ALS, COP, DRS, IDD, FSN-LE, VLS, MMZ, GIV, HES, HDB, AKO, NHG, RST, SND, PKC
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

Heh, yet another cute, funny comedy where casually threatening to bring about the end of the world is part of the equation. Tohru is a lot of fun in how she mixes her sweet devotion with Kobayashi with her nature as a brutal, awe-inspiring dragon seeping into her interactions with her and others (problems with the weather for drying clothes? Just fire a big dragon beam on those clouds :D ). Kobayashi herself has quite the interesting duality. Of course being the overworked office worker, her aggressive side comes out under the influence of drinks. It was that side of her that got her entangled with Tohru, but it was all from doing a good deed (that ending scene was wonderful in coming back to that: Kobayashi is helping Tohru to overcome her painful past in both the physical and mental scene). And Kobayashi is quite the Victorian maid purist. It's funny that comes up just as we have a "hardcore vs. casuals" theme to today's Akiba's Trip episode.

Comment

I didn't find this quite as funny, but it definitely had its moments, so it's on the slate for now. We'll see how things develop with other dragons. Not the most amazing animation for KyoAni, but that's not too surprising given its content.
        My Top Anime | Manga
        My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
        My FP Reviews | Twitter
        FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

I wasn't sure what to expect with this series, but it was a lot of fun, with a side of sweetness, and a threat of seriousness to come. Very positive impression of this first episode.
          My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
          1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
          2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
          3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

Pretty amusing. Tohru is somewhat cute. Kobayashi told her to come over when she was drunk and so Tohru came as a maid because Kobayashi likes maids lol. Lol Tohru started to clean clothes with her saliva and cooked her own tail. Lol Kobayashi can be scary when drunk. She stripped Tohru while trying to tell her to act more maid like and less dragon like. Lol when those burglars broke into the apartment and were greeted by a big ass dragon. Based on how Kobayashi treated Tohru's past, they might not go too much into those things. The animation was average but had some cool moments from time to time. The comedy was nice. Gonna stick around some more.
            My ReviewsMy MAL ProfileMy Anime List

Comment

Awww yeah, KyoAni doing a yuri show. Gotta to love it. Tohru is adorable, and the deadpan humor is on spot.
              Avatar: Shimarin from Laid Back Camo.

Comment

Episode 2

Trust must be earned.

Just when Kobayashi had all she could handle with one dragon, here comes another one as Kanna has come wanting Tohru for herself thinking that they have yuriized. It turns out that Kanna is a prankster and one of her pranks went too far and got her exiled and following Tohru, that's how she ended up with Kobayashi, while it is revealed that Tohru is dead according to almost everybody back in her home and only a few know that she's still alive. Seeing Tohru and Kanna interact there is pretty amusing. Kobayashi sure has a handful to deal with seeing that next time, there's another dragon knocking at her door. Tohru sure did become popular really quickly nabbing that thief with her superhuman abilities.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

It's interesting to get Tohru's train of thought in picking the shopping district over the department store, in that she sees what's she's more comfortable with based on her past experiences in the medieval fantasy setting. It's nice how Kobayashi really wants to know more about it, but is considerate in breaching the subject since she gets the feeling that Tohru doesn't want to talk about it. Funny how she brings up the "Thor" thing because I was actually thinking the same thing with the first episode, given some of the Norse terminology used in connection with the dragons (like with the Lucoa phone call). But that's not it. I wonder who the author that inspired her name is. And wait... parents? I wonder if they're still alive and if they'll be seen at some point...

So much sweetness this episode. Kobayashi was rushing in all worried that Tohru had been revealed after she used her powers. No surprise to see how the crowd really reacted. That feeling of anxiety was mutual with Tohru, and nice to see how they bond afterwards. And then we have Kanna showing up. Once she's fully aware of Kanna's situation, Kobayashi ends up looking out for her in a way that really sparks Tohru's love for her further. Even though Kanna was a little hostile at first, Kobayashi wins her over rather quickly.

Heh, and the dragons' idea of "playing outside" of course is too intense for Kobayashi. Not getting much relaxation from "roughhousing" on the level that could devastate a city if they were not in a wide-open deserted field in another country. I really liked the socket detail with Kanna's tail. I had kind of figured when it first appeared that it might be her recharging her power. So that issue was dealt with rather quickly. And she has Tohru out to teach her about human society common sense, though unsurprisingly it looks like there's a lot of common sense that Tohru herself still needs to be taught, so there were mixed results of that. Ah, and we get an explanation on how the dragons are able to fly around without causing massive panic. Tohru has a skill for that, that Kanna apparently can't use on her own just yet. Heh, and Tohru still hasn't given up on trying to feed her tail on Kobayashi.

Comment

Kanna is super adorable, and it's now like the Kobayashi household is a sweet little family. A weird two-dragon family, but a family all the same.
                    Proudly Part of the Eli-chan Fanclub
                    Eardrums be damned, she's so cute!

Find me in the Blogs, on Youtube and occasionally Twitch.

Comment

Maybe not quite as funny this episode, but they definitely showed off that KyoAni animation more this time. With the addition of Kanna, there's some pretty overwhelming cuteness to be had, as well as some more tender moments overall.
                      My Top Anime | Manga
                      My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                      My FP Reviews | Twitter
                      FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

I'll never look at a seesaw the same way again. :D

Another really solid episode, building on everything in the past episode. One of the (very) bright spots of this season.
                        My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
                        1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
                        2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
                        3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

KyoAni going all out with that animation. Tohru smacking down the purse snatcher and then Tohru "playing around" with the loli dragon. That looked sugoi.

While this looks like it'll only be a comedy show, there are those moments about Tohru's past. Like how she felt scared when everyone was staring at her after she smacked down the purse snatcher. She thought that everyone thinks that she's a monster and all those who were nice to her will want nothing to do with her and she would end up being lonely or something. It is possible that Tohru was about to be killed by humans with whom she wanted to be friends with. Or something along those lines. Kobayashi doesn't want to ask Tohru about that because it's a sensitive topic and she's not sure if Tohru would want to remember those memories or something.

The comedy was pretty nice overall. There were some meh moments in between but I think they're doing nicely overall with being funny. Lol when Tohru was giving the dragon loli a tour of the town and told her that cars run on magic and that seesaws are used for training kids to use catapults to kill dragons. Lol that hard-core see-sawing in the end.
                          My ReviewsMy MAL ProfileMy Anime List

Comment

Episode 3

On the move.

Now that Kobayashi is living with two dragon girls that she needs a bigger place to live, and things don't exactly start out well with the neighbors being noisy. But everybody gets settled in and it helps that there's a communal roof for the dragons to hand out. Then there's a welcoming party where the dragons Fafnir and Lucoa are invited. Fafnir is so into VGs but always falls for the mimics, while Lucoa is busty. Those two sure made a nice entrance all while things just continue to get more chaotic for Kobayashi, but at least she's adapting very well.

Comment

Re: Episode 3

Heh, I love how they showed it was getting really cramped in there. All the stepping on and bumping into others in the middle of the night. So now it's on to trying to get a more spacious apartment. A lot of fun scenes with them moving everything and getting adjusted (I know the feeling of needing something just as it's all packed up and hard to get to...). Tohru is really starting to get on to Kobayashi about her messy habits. It felt like she's the nagging wife of a married couple (and even the second time this week I've thought that, since Gab and Vigne in Gabriel DropOut are settling into that routine cutely), so it amused me more that Kobayashi herself pointed it out. But Kobayashi knows too well how to easily sweeten Tohru at this point. :D While cleaning out their books, Tohru comes across the treasure trove of young photos of Kobayashi. While Kobayashi gets them back to work, the distraction ends up going both ways when stuff relevant to Kobayashi's maid interests come up.

And now we have got problems with noisy neighbors, and they're all people we see from the OP. I wonder how much we get of them going forward since they seem like an amusing bunch. It's funny how the first neighbor was really noisy with something you wouldn't expect. I wonder if we'll ever see how her cooking gets so loud, or if that will be left a mystery. The second guy is more of what I expected the source of noise would be, a headbanging music lover. I like how he thinks it's cool that Tohru talks in mythological references. They're all actually a pretty nice bunch and get to arguing with each other over the noise they cause, and Kobayashi gets to having a nice diplomatic solution. Some more really heartwarming moments from Kobayashi as she reflects on Tohru asking about the noise (it's interesting to see that she still kind of looks down on humans (besides Kobayashi) in general in a way), and her saying that she likes that it's not too quiet. It reflects how things are not as lonely as they used to be for her now.

Now we get a meetup at the apartment (love that it's an excuse for avoiding the company sponsored flower viewing) of Kobayashi and her friend with Tohru and some of her dragon friends. Nice to get introduced to them. Kobayashi keeps her envy at manageable levels with Tohru's dragon D's, but with Lucoa there's no ignoring it... Haha. Though in all honestly, her hair (love the gradients) and eyes caught my attention. She's got a really striking appearance in a number of ways. I figured even the dark, brooding cursed dragon Fafnir was going to mellow out in some way. Love how Takiya gets him hooked on games, and knew what was coming when that treasure box popped up in the game (given the history we got on him). Heh, fun. Also like how Kobayashi and Takiya's drunk otaku session ends up shifting to butlers now when he's there. Kobayashi sees things other than the older, gentlemanly type as a heresy. No acceptance of the Black Butler fad that Fafnir represents.

Oh, so for next episode we get Kanna goes to school. That should be good, too. This has me thinking of R.O.D the TV a bit. I wonder if Kobayashi is making sure Kanna goes to school for similar reasons as came up in that series.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X