X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EmperorBrandon
    replied
    Re: Episode 10 (Finale)

One more thing I forgot to mention (that I was going to) was the part where they had to use Darkness's Eris-sect nobility to get past the guards (funny there too how Kazuma patiently waited out Aqua's attempts, which failed as he expected). They had to get Wiz to join them to force the pendant, and I liked that Wiz was so sweetly reluctant to do it. I like the bond we've gotten of Darkness and Wiz in the past few eps as Wiz has been hit by collateral purification and Darkness has been the one really looking after her in that regard (even offering up her life force). It's kind of heartwarming how that relationship has developed since it's probably not a common thing among crusaders to show any kindness to an undead. After their encounter in volume one of the novel,

Spoiler ->it is said "Darkness and Megumin, who'd at first resisted the idea of letting a monster off the hook, relented when they learned that Wiz had never actually attacked anyone." Of course it helped there that Kazuma being unaffected by any of the world's native social values had nothing blocking him from recognizing immediately she was a truly good person, one of the first of them he had met in this world.

And here it all ties around since Kazuma being unbound to the social hierarchy keeps being admitted by Darkness, both in the bath in the previous episode and after here with the pendant grabbing, as something she likes about him.

Ah, and there was that music I pointed out back in episode 8 in the "chicken race" that I thought sounded like RPG boss battle music. I really love how I thought that, and then they end up using the same piece for exactly that purpose this episode by bringing it out right as Hans reveals his true form and they start to battle him.

Leave a comment:

• EmperorBrandon
    replied

Originally posted by bctaris View Post
    So, speaking of, this is what? Four bosses now either defeated, befriended, or neutralized. Was there ever a hard count for how many total? Because it's two a season so far.
    I seemed to remember there was a specific number mentioned, but forgotten what it was. Went back and watched the first episode Wiz appeared (first season, episode 8), and she does indeed specifically say that she's one of eight. So we've seen exactly half of them so far. Also funny to get a bit of foreshadowing there about the Axis cult. Wiz was terrified when Aqua admitted she was the goddess of Axis, since she knew about their reputation for craziness. I do wonder about the barrier thing that got mentioned there and came up here again with Hans taking to Wiz in the second season finale. Does this mean that they will (likely with much sadness and reluctance) have to defeat Wiz at some point to allow entry to Devil King's castle? Aqua acts like it will be simple for her to deal with the barrier regardless, but she always talks big. No doubt it won't actually be simple.

Leave a comment:

• bctaris
    replied

I keep stressing the serious foundation of this story--home--and how it benefits the camaraderie of the characters, which makes the comedy what it is. And that's just the note the season (also first season, for that matter) ends. I was slightly leery about the group's first adventure away from home (expressed by my thoughts on the second episode of the arc) but it all ends up following and expressing that sage philosophy about home: you don't appreciate it until you leave it, and come back. This world's even more nuts than their home town. And as long as the Demon King's generals keep coming to them, probably best to just stay there.

So, speaking of, this is what? Four bosses now either defeated, befriended, or neutralized. Was there ever a hard count for how many total? Because it's two a season so far.

More kudos to the animation--the simplistic Aqua-balloon, as Sensuifu notes, was genius. Also add Kazuma's skull rolling away after Aqua's final blow. And once again, they do save some high-frame action stuff for the big moments. Aqua benefited very well, in fact, this whole finale. I guess she finally deserved it.

Different rhythm to this season--this arc, more or less--so it had a little different rhythm to its humor as well. It's hard to say which season is funnier. Let's just say it's a wonderful show. And deserves more...

Leave a comment:

• EmperorBrandon
    replied
    Re: Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! 2 (KonoSuba 2) Discussion Thread

Originally posted by zaldar View Post
    Don't think this would work in light novel form for me but if it is ever translated might pick one up to find out.
    The first volume has already been officially released.

Leave a comment:

• zaldar
    replied
    Re: Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! 2 (KonoSuba 2) Discussion Thread

Hmm replying by quoteing seems to be off - the game mentioned where the big boss is doing things in the name of an individual fighting her in your party - I would love to find that sounds super interesting and definitely a philosophical plot twist you wouldn't get in a Western game. This show man - this was HILARIOUS. The bit where they were trying to get darkness to show she was noble WIz being SCARY AS *(&^^. Holy hell remind me to never make her angry and Aqua showing REAL power. I mean the end it became a shonen almost and amazingly a GOOD one. All the while still staying super hilarious. Very well done! Funny funny show. No one else seemed to comment on it but the fact the slime went from super scary and terrible to CUTE AS (*&( and the main characters went at several points (wiz first) from loveable loosers to SCARY AS *(&& was hilarious. Anime comedy I have found can either be incredibly hilarious or not work for me at all. This has been incredibly hilarious and I NEED another season of this.

Don't think this would work in light novel form for me but if it is ever translated might pick one up to find out.

Oh and to comment on the Axis followers prayers when Aqua was fighting ... so when you screw up it is society's fault... sooo aqua's followers are the US Democratic party now?

Leave a comment:

• Yamada2
    replied

Man this ended way too quickly. Needs more episodes. That finale was something. Deen going all out with the visuals. Their explosions here were already top-notch anyway, but those God Blow and God Requeim punches were sugoi as well. The entire sequence starting with Kazuma luring Hans into his trap was sugoi. I was expecting some more time with Eris, but what time can she spend with a skeleton. And poor Aqua still got deemed as an imposter and wasn't thanked. In this show, I'm really not sure if I'm supposed to feel sorry for these scumbags or not. Aqua should have had something which could prove that she's a goddess. Oh well, serves those retarded followers right. No more hot springs for them.

Just like the first season, this one was pretty god damn hilarious. Loved this show. The visuals were more inconsistent than the prequel, but I didn't really mind it that much. They cut Kazuma off when he was saying that their journey's just beginning lol. Need more KonoSuba greatness.

Leave a comment:

• EmperorBrandon
    replied

Originally posted by Sensuifu View Post
    Aqua's raiment-balloon escape scene was too precious. :D
    Yeah, that was fun, just like how she uses it in the OP.

Leave a comment:

• Sensuifu
    replied

Aqua's raiment-balloon escape scene was too precious. :D
    Loved Kazuma's cool and collective self at the end, enjoying the days he's had with his friends, unfazed, despite having just arrived home, with Aqua screaming for his help, like all one big family.
    Sad to see the end to yet another great season of this. Best comedy of the season, and it'll be tough to match its hilarity in the near future, no doubt. Hopefully there's a continuation, with more fresh comedy and fun from this loveable group of losers.

Leave a comment:

• General Hentai
    replied

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
    Hans, whose true form is that of a poisonous slimeball.
    Hans is a poisonous slime. Otherwise, you've just described Joe Pesci in Goodfellas and 3/4ths of the cast of The Sopranos. :D

I thought the humor in the first episode was a bit of a step back...but this show was just getting setup for a running start, because after that episode, it took off on a humor bullet train of excellence. Damn it, I want more! And now!!

Some thoughts:

- After that first episode, it hit humor homeruns in every episode; it's just a matter whether they were 1-run, 2-run, 3-run or grandslam homers.
    - All the girls shine this season, but it was not until the return of Darkness that we realized just how vital Miss Lalatina is to the show. Darkness stole ever scene she was in, and her absence proved:
    - Darkness is best girl. She was the true show stealer, taking the crown away from Aqua, who was easily last season's best girl. Darkness's masochism just knows no bounds, and the interplay between her and Kazuma was absolutely priceless. The creativity about it just kept on rolling, and that well still seems to be nowhere neat bottom. But as a result:
    - Megumin got short-changed. Although there was some nice focus at the start with the ridiculous and pathetic rivalry between her and Yunyun, we kind of lost track of Megumin, although she still had some good bits here and there. The bath battle between her and Kazuma early in the season, however: Priceless.
    - Wiz. We learned a lot more about her, including that she was apparently a fearless mage when she was still alive, and very much an enemy of the Demon King back then. Also, Wiz + cat = Jiggly giggles. She's almost moving to full harem status, though not quite there.

All-in-all, a great season and a great comedy. The weak points are that10 episodes a season is too damn few, but hopefully there's more where this came from, and the animation quality wasn't as good as the first season.

Highly recommended, I give it an "A".

Leave a comment:

• GingaDaiuchuu
    replied

Oh right, this series gets entirely too short seasons. I'll have another!

The initial excitement of being back inevitably only lasted for the beginning, but otherwise this season managed to stay absolutely top-notch all the way through. A huge improvement over the first season which already got to be far better than I would've expected. I know from the beginning that it would be a fun show that didn't take itself seriously, but this season made me genuinely laugh more consistently than most anime comedies with no relationship to Gintama. Brilliant humor all around.

Leave a comment:

• EmperorBrandon
    replied

So that's why he was trying to escape Wiz's notice. She'd know Hans since he was a fellow demon king commander (4th one we've come across now). Funny how Wiz outs his identity pleasantly greeting him. Kazuma's relying too much on his video game knowledge again, though, thinking a slime is within his capability to deal with and acting so confident and heroic. He quickly drops that act upon being informed of how terrifyingly powerful Hans is. And they get to seeing it quickly. Of course they're going to have to beat him, whether they're all up to it or not...

And it certainly helps that he immediately runs foul of Wiz's neutrality in killing a civilian, since she's undoubtedly the most powerful there. So adorably badass, and we get to see more high-powered magic from her, ice apparently actually being a specialty of hers. But Wiz is not so powerful to take him alone at full size. As usual, they get to hatching a plan where they all have a role to play. Kazuma gets such an ignominious one, being dispatched as bait (love seeing Eris's reaction later seeing him in that state) before the fireworks of awesomeness even begin. Aqua in the end does get to be powered by the devotion of her followers. Love how they're still rather ethically dubious in what they say to empower her, though, and of course poor Aqua can't really catch a break of appreciation once it's all over. They kind of accomplished Hans' goals of ruining Arcanretia anyway. The cult will live on I guess... would be curious if we end up finding out how they manage without their tourist trap later.

And so that ends this season, but their battle has only just beg... Hopefully we will get another season at some point since they cut off Kazuma before he could jinx it. I definitely want more. At the very least looking forward to catching up to this point in the novels.

Leave a comment:

• Buckeye
    replied
    Episode 10 (Finale)

God save this hot springs town.

The party escapes, and they go over to the hot springs source to figure out the culprit behind the polluted waters, and the one responsible is that pissed off tourist, who is actually one of the Devil King's leaders, Hans, whose true form is that of a poisonous slimeball. While Wiz can freeze him, he's just way too big for it to work. So Kazuma puts his plan into action using himself as bait and drawing him off a cliff while dying in the process, where Megumin uses explosion, and Wiz freezes him. Then with a purification punch Aqua finishes him off. But despite their deeds, they are chased back to down while Kazuma is revived again.

Pretty much, it ended the way it's supposed to end with a boss battle as Hans sure is one tough customer there. But in the end, Kazuma knew that he could be revived in this world, all while those cultists just don't take their heroic deeds well. The battle is great, all while it continues to be silly through the end. So with that, the adventure ends, and while a third season was teased there at the end, nothing in that regard has been announced at this time.

Overall, this show continues to be great as it picks up right where it leaves off. The comedy is better in this season, but on the flipside the animation quality takes a hit. Everything else is pretty much on par with the first season as this show sticks to what it does best, and as such the end result is another fun-filled season of adventure and crazy antics that is done better than many other shows of this type. The enjoyment factor is greater than the first season, so for that I'm quite happy with the way things turned out.

MAL Rating: *********-

Leave a comment:

• EmperorBrandon
    replied
    Re: Episode 9

That's probably true. I just saw it a bit differently (as if Wiz was more in a dream state in surviving) instead of losing to death, knowing with the last instance, the near-death vision of Dullahan was clear and defined with him actually beckoning/urging her to cross that line. And if I'm reading the translation and characters' gestures right, it seemed like they were discouraging Wiz from dying off, urging her to turn back, which coincides with their blurred figures, opposite of Dullahan's scene. If the contrast between the two incidents have meaning, it's probably that Wiz was recalling memories of them (uncertain whether they're dead or not) and not that they were part of a death vision, assuming she knows they've already died too. Though I'm likely wrong since Kazuma's reaction soon after was more of a shocked expression of her boderlining death than anything else...
    Yeah, there are interesting contrasts there. The Dullahan scene has a darker river and sky, and he's encouraging her to come on over. The adventurers are trying to wave her away. The latter still gives me the feeling the adventurers don't want her to join them in death (probably out of caring concern), and I think the contrasts are to show different aspects of her life as her "life is flashing before her eyes". Just cute speculation on my part, but maybe even the differing emotions behind Aqua's exorcisms (the first was with her mercilessly exorcising undead attackers of their wagon party, while the latter was with her crying over her troubles) led to the vision being different.

Leave a comment:

• Momoka Kibi
    replied

Poor Aqua, at least we now know why in JRPGs, the God is often the final boss or alternative in others we're reminded the God is not the problem, the problem is his followers. Or her in the case of Goddesses.

Seriously, I wouldn't mind if all of those "fakes" were killed off. I know this supposed to be a comedy, but I never liked such people. People who claim to idolize, worship, etc someone, but will lash out at the actual person they claim to worship. Hence to me they are fakes.

Granted that may be the point. It's easy to claim "I follow this person", but do you actually mean it? Or are you nothing, but hot air.

Heck in one game the final boss of a path makes a speech about how she's doing her actions in the name of someone else. Said someone else is in your very party helping you to defeat her and fight against her. Whoops.

On a side note, I can't help but feel this entire series is a secretly a prank on Aqua. She's stuck with Kazuma. No one believes her. She can do no right. Maybe she upset one of the other Gods or Goddesses?

Leave a comment:

• Sensuifu
    replied

Originally posted by EmperorBrandon View Post
    Did Wiz imply something about him (and the elf girl?) during her recovery? The two silhouettes might've been referencing the two..and it would make sense if it is them from Wiz's earlier days as an adventurer. If the two really have a connection to Wiz, the guy probably feels guilty over something that happened in their past, thus his avoidance to face her. Should be interesting to see what plays out.
    I think the implication is those two silhouetted adventurers are dead, since it's a similar scene to her near-death vision of Dullahan. Perhaps even long since dead too. I'm not sure if it has been said how long ago Wiz's days as a human were.
    That's probably true. I just saw it a bit differently (as if Wiz was more in a dream state in surviving) instead of losing to death, knowing with the last instance, the near-death vision of Dullahan was clear and defined with him actually beckoning/urging her to cross that line. And if I'm reading the translation and characters' gestures right, it seemed like they were discouraging Wiz from dying off, urging her to turn back, which coincides with their blurred figures, opposite of Dullahan's scene. If the contrast between the two incidents have meaning, it's probably that Wiz was recalling memories of them (uncertain whether they're dead or not) and not that they were part of a death vision, assuming she knows they've already died too. Though I'm likely wrong since Kazuma's reaction soon after was more of a shocked expression of her boderlining death than anything else...

Leave a comment:

Widgets Magazine
Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
Widgets Magazine
Working...
X