Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Episode 8

Faith runs deep in this town.

To defeat this pack of ostriches that are jumping over Darkness due to Aqua's blessing, Darkness is dragged like a ragged doll into a cave where Megumin's explosion makes fried chicken out of those birds, and then they encounter zombies drawn to Aqua that are quickly dispatched. Next day, they arrive in the town where they are approached by the members of the Axis Church demanding them to convert to Axisism, but being with the Eris faith, things get out of hand as the Axis faith totally despises Eris. Then Kazuma sees a child that has some strange contract she wants him to sign.

That was another crazy adventure there, first with the ostriches, then with the zombies, and now the religious nutjobs in town as all Kazuma and company want to do is relax. But all this religious stuff going on are making it tough for them to enjoy their trip. So much for rest and relaxation when everybody is in a place that treats religious outsiders so badly.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Violet Evergarden of KyoAni's Violet Evergarden
    Watching: Kyo Kara Maoh, Pokemon Sun and Moon, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, FRB, KYB, FGN, MIX, FIL
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 8

Geez...my lord was that beyond gold. :D:D I know KonoSuba is brilliant comedy, but it somehow finds a way to keep topping itself. I think I laughed the most at this episode and I'm still laughing at all its comedic excellence. From Darkness's crazy dragging/avoidance of the hawk kites to Wiz getting fried along with the other undead (and how it was revealed) was already too much, and then the hilarity keeps compounding with the religious cult trying to recruit Kazuma and Darkness.

Easily my aots if only for this episode alone. Just so damn entertaining and amusing all around. So good. And yet again, poor Yunyun...finding a way to avoid being caught alone by discouraging her penpals to come over.

Comment

Originally posted by Sensuifu View Post
        Geez...my lord was that beyond gold. :D:D I know KonoSuba is brilliant comedy, but it somehow finds a way to keep topping itself. I think I laughed the most at this episode and I'm still laughing at all its comedic excellence. From Darkness's crazy dragging/avoidance of the hawk kites to Wiz getting fried along with the other undead (and how it was revealed) was already too much, and then the hilarity keeps compounding with the religious cult trying to recruit Kazuma and Darkness.

Easily my aots if only for this episode alone. Just so damn entertaining and amusing all around. So good. And yet again, poor Yunyun...finding a way to avoid being caught alone by discouraging her penpals to come over.
        The opening half, ending the bird situation, was amusing, but that second half when they reached Arcanretia, I could not stop laughing every few minutes as the next cultist and their sales pitch happened. That was probably one of the funniest halves of an anime episode I've seen in the past several years.

Ahh, a hot springs town filled with fanatical cultists who worship Aqua. It can't get any better than that…
        …except for having Darkness along and the treatment she gets as a devotee of the rival Eris cult.
        Avatar: Craft Lawrence from Spice and Wolf.
        Scratchy for Tama is angry.
        Casually Reviewing: ???

Comment

Heh, their predicament carrying over from the previous episode continues to be such a blessing for a Darkness. Even though the monsters ends up avoiding running straight into her, she gets turned on by that denial. And she's all too willing to be used as bait in the lowest means possible. Poor Kazuma, his reputation being what it is at this point, ends up being glared at scornfully by the others (even Wiz!) as if it was his idea. Kazuma's team actually has gotten to the point of doing some rather impressive feats (I like how the music sounds rather appropriately like a RPG boss battle), but he just can't take the gratitude being foisted on them knowing how his party member's eccentricities spark all of these incidents.

Originally posted by EmperorBrandon View Post
          It's interesting how we get religious criticism from our demon king commanders.
          Heh, what do you know. It seems like this the religious criticism element is going to be a bit of a running theme of this little arc, as we get to know why Aqua is so excited about this Arcanretia place. It's ground zero of cultish fanaticism for her own religion. The crafty, unrelenting proselytism of all the members here knows no bounds, and Kazuma is stuck dealing with them at every corner in hilarious ways. I love how he almost falls for it with the innocent little girl at the end. Darkness is proud of her faith in Eris, which causes all of the members of the fiercely-opposing sect to look down on her. Well, not a problem for her... Hah (my favorite bit was how the waitress treated her).

Poor Wiz. Again we had Aqua again looking rather hilariously not-holy in how she looked when exorcising the undead, and no thought (as usual) of Wiz being caught up in that. Wiz still looked really out of it when they came in to town, and yeah, she was actually about "dead". Love how we get a Dullahan cameo out of that with her about to cross on. Darkness helps out with her life force yet again, this time rather heartwarmingly rather than being snuck up on by Kazuma... It's interesting how everything is so nice and sweet with our supposed undead boss (Wiz gets me to thinking of some similarities with Vigne) as a contrast to the scary fanaticism of the supposedly holy cult. Wonder what we'll get of Wiz's role going forward, being in a place that should on the surface be even more antagonistic to her than it is to Eris followers. Well, for now, we wait to see what Aqua and Megumin got embroiled in after they went off. Can't wait to see what kind of hijinks we're going to get.

Comment

Aqua's worshipers are insane. Even the little girl is one of them. Genius comedy all the way through.
            My Top Anime | Manga
            My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
            My FP Reviews | Twitter
            FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

You guys know I love this show...

But while the first half was fine continuation, I'm more subdued on the second half. It's just a tired gag to me, the crazy cult thing. That and it was just predictable, which isn't something comedy in this tends to be very often. But I kind of know why it felt that way: when comedy in Konosuba does get routine, the characters always save the day. But the cult stuff and the Eris abuse were carried on the Kazuma/Darkness pair that had just received a lot of attention in the whole caravan sequence. Darkness is awesome, but there's only so much of the masochism routine (and Kazuma's reaction) that the show can carry, just like any other character trait. Usually it's only half an episode, balancing one extreme oddball with another, Kazuma the scale betwixt.

This felt like just a transition episode to whatever mess Aqua will probably get them into next time. So that explains the imbalance...

Maybe I'll appreciate it more on a rewatch.

*runs away from konosuba cultists in thread*
              Avatar: Tsumugi, Sweetness & Lightning
              Moderation: General Anime; English Track; Movie; TV | TFP Forum Rules
              Please Support The Fandom Post

Comment

Originally posted by bctaris View Post

But while the first half was fine continuation, I'm more subdued on the second half. It's just a tired gag to me, the crazy cult thing. That and it was just predictable, which isn't something comedy in this tends to be very often. But I kind of know why it felt that way: when comedy in Konosuba does get routine, the characters always save the day. But the cult stuff and the Eris abuse were carried on the Kazuma/Darkness pair that had just received a lot of attention in the whole caravan sequence. Darkness is awesome, but there's only so much of the masochism routine (and Kazuma's reaction) that the show can carry, just like any other character trait. Usually it's only half an episode, balancing one extreme oddball with another, Kazuma the scale betwixt.
                They have relied on the Darkness loves abuse gag a lot, but I think it still has some legs yet, but mileage here will vary. But the crazy cult was more amusing for Kazuma's reactions to the pathetically bad sales pitches (which was matched by very good "bad" acting by the Japanese voice actors; you could hear them sounding deliberately strained or flat, like regular people who are bad actors and sound stilted and false on camera) than for anything else.

This felt like just a transition episode to whatever mess Aqua will probably get them into next time. So that explains the imbalance...
                There may well be something to that, that this is mainly a setup to what Aqua and Megumin did while at the "Church"'s headquarters. We'll have too see next week.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitsugi Amachi View Post
                  Originally posted by bctaris View Post

They have relied on the Darkness loves abuse gag a lot, but I think it still has some legs yet, but mileage here will vary. But the crazy cult was more amusing for Kazuma's reactions to the pathetically bad sales pitches (which was matched by very good "bad" acting by the Japanese voice actors; you could hear them sounding deliberately strained or flat, like regular people who are bad actors and sound stilted and false on camera) than for anything else.
                  The cultists' 'bad acting' was definitely the highlight for that segment. The gag was overplayed, true, but for every instance it always got a laugh from me because of the voice actors intentionally sounding terrible. And Kazuma's reactions in avoiding all the cultists' attempts was amusing, especially since he was relying on his useless comrade in Darkness to save him. Another point to consider- Take it from a larger perspective that during this entire time of their journey, Aqua and Darkness attracted trouble. Aqua with the undead, etc. and Darkness with the runners. It's only fitting that Kazuma, with his unfortunate karma, attracted the religious fanatics. How that played out actually did, as mentioned, balance the misfortunes that befall them. I won't be surprised if the hotsprings will feature Megumin attracting her own set of trouble.

I also got a few good laughs from the visual juxtapositions, notably with the aforementioned Wiz/undead spell. Also loved when Megumin (and Chomusuke) and Darkness stare in amazement at Kazuma as he fixes the embossed nipple kink in Darkness breast armor. "You guys are making this awkward", followed by 'My smithing skills for product development'. Product development? Wat? :D Stupid, trivial things like that always manage to get me to smirk.

There have been some misses with the comedy in previous episodes, but I found this one to be particularly strong and the highlight so far for the series.

Comment

Episode 9

She's in a lot of hot water now.

With Aqua having been taken in by the Axis church, Kazuma sees Aqua to confess. Then he takes a dip in the hot springs meeting a guy who is totally upset about the town, all while Kazuma goes peeping and pays for it. With the water quality diminishing because of Aqua that she has been labeled a witch by the townspeople and they have come over to the inn to execute her.

Pretty much that says it all about this place as while the setting is great, the people are the problem going overboard with their faith like that. That was funny to see that those townspeople accuse Aqua of being a fraud even though she is the water goddess, and her thickheadedness has gotten everybody into trouble. Once again, another funny episode there and there's just one more left this season as it will end with Kazuma and company having to fend off a witch hunt.
                    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Violet Evergarden of KyoAni's Violet Evergarden
                    Watching: Kyo Kara Maoh, Pokemon Sun and Moon, Toonami Stuff
                    Simulcasts: FTL, FRB, KYB, FGN, MIX, FIL
                    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 9

Heh, Aqua will never let go of demeaning Eris over her padding. Just what I was thinking when that follower with such a specific "evil temptation" showed up.

It seems Megumin has had just as much of a tough time with these crazies off-screen as Kazuma and Darkness already had (though "tough time" being relative in Darkness's case). They all take some time to enjoy the bath. And Kazuma has a particularly slimy interest in the mixed bath. Funny how Megumin and Darkness go back and forth on their commentary about Kazuma as he's listening in the adjacent bath. They ultimately get him with his guard down.

Aqua's honeymoon doesn't last long. Her innate purification abilities ironically start to causing problems with her Axis followers. Her method of trying to come out with her identity and whip them up into a frenzy gets turned back on her in rather dire fashion. I do wonder what role the other tormented outsider guy we saw will play as this arc gets wrapped up.

And poor Wiz, yet again. Aqua latching onto her for comfort is not good when her constant tears has an exorcising effect. Wiz is starting to get waved at not only by Dullahan, but going as far back as her old adventuring friends. Makes me a little curious of what her story on becoming a Lich was (since we got it with Keele).
                      Last edited by EmperorBrandon; 03-09-2017, 01:50 AM.

Comment

I do wonder what role the other tormented outsider guy we saw will play as this arc gets wrapped up.
                        The back and forth about laundry detergent and eating it between the Frazzled Man and Megumin was priceless. Megumin has been traumatized by this town, most certainly. And I have a feeling that this guy will play some further role, not just because he appears in the backgrounds scenes in the Preview but also so it appears that he recognized Wiz when he saw her. He's not just some ordinary Background Character A.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitsugi Amachi View Post
                          And I have a feeling that this guy will play some further role, not just because he appears in the backgrounds scenes in the Preview but also so it appears that he recognized Wiz when he saw her. He's not just some ordinary Background Character A.
                          Yeah, I'm rather intrigued by that part with him reacting to Wiz too. In any case, I certainly don't think he'll be a background character. I noticed he is named and appears on first page of cast credits. There is another new named character on that page too, who I assume is the elf girl he was talking to in the bath.

Comment

It was pretty much a given, but Aqua's followers finally turn on her, and her revelation of being their goddess only makes them more upset, eventually turning to treat her as a witch. Ah, so inevitable. So hilarious. All the confession-related scenes were brilliant.
                            My Top Anime | Manga
                            My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                            My FP Reviews | Twitter
                            FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Best part is Rie Takahashi just screaming during an interstitial after all the evangelizing. Once again love the editing there.

OK, back in the swing of things. Darkness getting stoned by children, even, was a neat little gag to cap last time off.

And why didn't Aqua call up her raiment at the fountain? I also forget Megumin and Darkness still don't know who she really is...

Wiz is starting to get waved at not only by Dullahan, but going as far back as her old adventuring friends. Makes me a little curious of what story on becoming a Lich was (since we got it with Keele).
                              That was interesting and a sudden fun bit of character story I hadn't thought of before.
                              Avatar: Tsumugi, Sweetness & Lightning
                              Moderation: General Anime; English Track; Movie; TV | TFP Forum Rules
                              Please Support The Fandom Post

Comment

Curious whether Aqua's onsen scenes were detailed in the LN; a bit unexpected that she's absent from the rest of the group. Definitely loved her little priestly roleplaying in the confessional; though much to her expense when Kazuma decides to pull her legs with some truth. Loved that guy's honest confession about Eris though and Aqua's advice to such infidelity :D

Still very much enjoying all the technical details that the sound/art design staff put into this show- from the water trickling down the wet lens, to the leimotives of the awesome choral track (reminiscent of Susumu Hirasawa's use of vocal synths) during the hilarious scenes of the crazed pot seller and the Axis cultists condemning Aqua...makes everything more entertaining. I mean really, the attention to detail on many scenes is something to admire, i.e. the moment that pot seller enters the scene, her pupils constrict from normal to loony just as the song (and her crazy shouting) kicks in.

And it looks like the crazy girl was intended to be a running gag (with recycled animation to boot ), since this time it's 'Liar!' instead of 'Oniichan!'

Poor Wiz, as much as she wants to console Aqua, it's like an early death sentence.

As far as the downtrodden guy goes, it seems like he does have some connection to Wiz. Did Wiz imply something about him (and the elf girl?) during her recovery? The two silhouettes might've been referencing the two..and it would make sense if it is them from Wiz's earlier days as an adventurer. If the two really have a connection to Wiz, the guy probably feels guilty over something that happened in their past, thus his avoidance to face her. Should be interesting to see what plays out.
                                Last edited by Sensuifu; 03-09-2017, 02:47 AM.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine
                                Working...
                                X