Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Episode 4

Originally posted by Sensuifu View Post
    Lucky for her though (although at the time she wasn't grateful); Kazuma's case was special in that she actually was freed from straight out, monotonous resurrecting people. She actually got the opportunity to hang around a bunch of misfits like herself. :D
    Very true. She's fun in that she's enjoying things almost more than anyone else. And probably because, yes, it's her sort of people. Despite understanding a lot about how these worlds tick, and her whole area of divine magic (not to mention her 'reports' in the first season's post-credit preview-sort-of-things whining about going back home) she's seen as the most curious about things, always poking about, eager to go on adventures.

She, not Kazuma, is the "ordinary" person--the Bilbao Baggins, etc.--in this tale, dragged reluctantly into an adventure that proves the most important thing in her life.
    Avatar: Tsumugi, Sweetness & Lightning
    Moderation: General Anime; English Track; Movie; TV | TFP Forum Rules
    Please Support The Fandom Post

Comment

Episode 5

Here comes the boom!

The crisis at hand by Sena is that a bunch of monsters from Keele's dungeon have come out and are causing widespread explosions, and the one behind it is the Demon King's general Vanir, who has created monsters that explode upon defeat and is looking to die in style having followed the magic circle placed by Aqua. Just when it looked like Darkness and Kazuma took care of him, Vanir's mask possesses Darkness. After changing personalities, Darkness agrees to get blasted by Megumin's explosion, and that defeats Vanir, while giving Kazuma and company a huge reward enough to repay the debt.

I just knew that Vanir made a foolish decision in possessing Darkness there knowing that she's a masochist who enjoys getting whacked, and that's what it came down to as he sure did choose a fine way to be vanquished. Seeing Darkness and Vanir changing personalities is pretty hilarious, and in the end everything works out seeing that defeating a Demon King general fetches quite a huge reward. Now that Kazuma is out of the red that it will be interesting to see what happens next.
      MyAnimeList | Avatar: Violet Evergarden of KyoAni's Violet Evergarden
      Watching: Kyo Kara Maoh, Pokemon Sun and Moon, Toonami Stuff
      Simulcasts: FTL, FRB, KYB, FGN, MIX, FIL
      The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 5

It's always fun how one thing leads to another in this show. I wouldn't have thought that Keele's dungeon would be playing a part again, but the next big happening is all due to what Aqua did when they left. The next demon king commander was wanting to squat there, but can't because of Aqua's magic circle.

I'm guessing all of the demon king's subordinates are going to be really eccentric (if this is what they're like, what about the main one? I shudder to think what absolute silliness is ahead :D ). Vanir was amusing in how he was most thrilled about his own defeat, wanting so badly to troll adventurers who had fought so hard to take him out with a dummy treasure. And when it comes time to use his trump card against this adventuring party, it ends up being the most unfortunate target for him. Darkness is in so much ecstacy at having her body taken over painfully that her personality keeps coming out and frustrating the heck out of Vanir. Was a mistake for him indeed. When it comes time for the final confrontation, Darkness is so noble and sacrificial yet again. I figured her unfaltering resilience would win out, even against Megumin's supposedly much-upgraded explosion magic.

And for once, Kazuma ends a big quest without some crap getting turned around on him before the episode break. It's as hard to believe for Kazuma as is it is for the audience. But I do think the ruffian is right. Even these misfits need a day like this for once. How long will it last, though?
        Last edited by EmperorBrandon; 02-08-2017, 01:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bctaris View Post
          But apart from editing that's also just great scripting--Kazuma's occasional "Yes, I'm Kazuma" lines in response to Aqua/Megumin/Darkness is a neat joke to the old anime habit of characters always calling out another's name in dramatic scenes. The comedy beat to it though is reproduced as well with Megumin in episode 2, in the bath with her sleepy "yes"s.
          Hah, definitely; qft. This was one thing I pointed out in the past, (though I forget which thread/topic that was) that nobody in real life calls out another person's name for every little sentence or remark. Or if they do, it's most likely due to a psychological issue. So seeing Kazuma react to 'the obvious' is always a riot. :D I always appreciate when the humor goes beyond meta and actually points out the absurdity of certain habits.
          On that note again, I was amused to see Kazuma do it with his family name too (can't remember if that's happened before) this episode being called "Satou-san" by Sena. Sounded like he didn't even let her finish her "san". Haha.

Comment

Kazuma's responses to being called by name have definitely been a standout that makes this show so hilarious even beyond the actual content. The timing and his seiyuu's performance are both spot-on.

And more Darkness is always fun.
            My Top Anime | Manga
            My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
            My FP Reviews | Twitter
            FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Originally posted by EmperorBrandon View Post
              And for once, Kazuma ends a big quest without some crap getting turned around on him before the episode break. It's as hard to believe for Kazuma as is it is for the audience. But I do think the ruffian is right. Even these misfits need a day like this for once. How long will it last, though?
              I knew what kind of reaction he was going to make as soon as I saw him heading out the door while everyone else was partying. Truly an emotional moment. Though awesome and relieving as it was, you really kind of pity the poor sap since it's been so long since he was 'free'. :D Still, with the 'luck' he's had still looming on the horizon to flush that success down the drain, also makes it kind of bittersweet.

Comment

Episode 6

Don't go dying on them.

Vanir is still alive, but now he's just an assistant at Wiz's shop rather than the Dark King's general, and he's in charge of making stuff from Kazuma's world with one of them being a kotatsu table. It's onto the next quest to round up and slay lizard runners, and thanks to Aqua's incompetence, the lizards end up charging straight towards the party. While Kazuma shoots the princess, he gets knocked off the tree and trampled by the rest of the pack sending him to see Eris once again. While he was resigned to leaving this world for good, Megumin does something that convinces him to come back.

That was pretty crazy what went down, and Kazuma doesn't seem to realize that the party needs him more than he needs the party, and that led to some hilarious exchanges there. Anyway, poor Kazuma just couldn't catch a break there whether it be because Megumin gave such a stupid name for his blade that ended up being shorter than he wanted, or have stuff scribbled on him while he was out cold.
                The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 6

Heh, of course Kazuma doesn't catch a break for long. The birth of a new hero with his awesome equipment... armor that he can't move around in at all and a sword that is too inconveniently long to carry. Heh, love how the aura of awesomeness quickly fades away to being pathetic every time. And then with his final (shortened) weapon in hand he can't save it from being branded with the crimson demons' naming sense. :D

Oh, and Vanir is sticking around too, and supposedly harmless now in his second incarnation. More silliness ahead with him probably (love how Darkness got embarrassed about what she said with him being right there). Wonder if he'll end up being an ally in a crisis as happened with Wiz.

All their carefully-laid plans on their next quest quickly fall apart. Not just from Aqua being their Leeroy Jenkins, but also Kazuma being a jerk earlier backfires on them at the moment Megumin needed to use her forte (I knew they were going to flash back to that scene where he drained her). Ultimately Kazuma takes a tumble and ends up dying yet again and seeing Eris. I love how she gets to gently chiding him over it happening at this point. When Aqua is ready to bring him back, he has already getting the contrast in what he's actually looking for in his "heroine" back in mind and really wanting to change course this time on his resurrection. Love how his crazy companions get to being desperate when they realize that and ultimately drag him back (reluctantly on his part, with the Demon King quest seemingly only to look like even more of a difficult burden as time in the world goes on) as things are meant to be.

Eris lets Kazuma know of an interesting secret, that she sneaks off to the surface to have some fun. Some indirect hints I've noticed since the first season (including something that made me wonder only two episodes ago) had me already thinking about something in that regard... Definitely interested to see if we get any more related to Eris over the course of the season.

Comment

Hah, Kazuma doesn't respond with his usual line when called by name; instead, being disgruntled for all that went down, literally, he screams "What!" in disgust. :D Can't remember if that was the first, but it stood out considering his habit for answering 'normally'.

And Aqua demanding Kazuma to return to life was hilariously adorable. :D She's really intent in keeping Kazuma to herself, if not their clique.

I do wonder about Eris, and this 'hidden' secret about her, and I'm suspecting it's really something that could affect Kazuma's perception given what's been alluded to; but we'll see.

and Kazuma's business seemed to be a nod to Outbreak Company, or least had similar intentions.

always such a fun series, and love the irony at the end card...sorry Yunyun; pot dear, pot.

Comment

always such a fun series, and love the irony at the end card...sorry Yunyun; pot dear, pot.
                      Poor Yunyun. Deep down it looks like she really covets Megumin's bond with her adventuring friends.

Comment

and Kazuma's business seemed to be a nod to Outbreak Company, or least had similar intentions.
                        I didn't really think about that, but now that you mention it, I got that feeling for a brief moment. Of course, there are no government officials there to make anything happen.

Comment

his final (shortened) weapon
                          That's a cruel way to talk about Excalibur.
                          Proudly Part of the Eli-chan Fanclub
                          Eardrums be damned, she's so cute!

Find me in the Blogs, on Youtube and occasionally Twitch.

Comment

Originally posted by Jun Kuga View Post
                            his final (shortened) weapon
                            That's a cruel way to talk about Excalibur.
                            I love it when my words are unexpectedly twisted into something hilarious. Though there's no need for me to be cruel about "Excalibur" when Aqua already does it with her reaction face.

Comment

Kazuma is the most pathetic hero out there. Poor bastard wants so badly to look cool, but that is such an impossibility for him.

Vanir's idea is a pretty good one, and Kazuma does make some great contributions like the magic of a kotatsu, but the part of Kazuma who isn't trying to look cool and failing spectacularly is a gloriously lazy bastard who doesn't care what anyone thinks, so even the best of ideas won't amount to much in his hands.

Of course, in combat, Kazuma is downright brilliant compared to Aqua, who just needs to lure all the monsters to everyone, resulting in Kazuma dying... again. But hey, he'd rather stay dead and get to chat with Good Aqua, a character entirely too good to be in this show for long without some hidden issues. Either way, Aqua drags Kazuma back, so he can't appreciate her apparent perfection anyway.
                              My Top Anime | Manga
                              My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                              My FP Reviews | Twitter
                              FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Love this show. Coming off KyoAni's intricately drawn Dragon Maid, the seemingly casual, almost random approach here always seems especially engaging. It's the silly rough drawn stuff like the kotatsu being thrown--laterally--out the window, or the spastic hysterics of Aqua, both making way for the few surprisingly dynamic scenes, like Kazuma turning in the tree and the archery shots.

The energy and clownishness of the cast was in fine form here, again, one of those times where I really have to give group recording the credit its due. I bring it up often in the series, but the looseness and silliness they express really is unique. Parodies and satires are common these days, but most are acted as straight and generically as anything else--this cast and crew are very much instead in the spirit of things.

Best ensemble seiyuu cast I've heard in years.

Glad others pay attention to those. (Have to pause to read them, of course. ) Usually they're just quirky or weird (Darkness or Megumin expressing their philosophies) but this one got a good laugh. Poor Yunyun.

Eris there, about the secret--that's the second time she's left him with that request to keep one. It was never quite clear what she meant the first time (letting him go back, presumably), but now it just seems like she enjoys playing that sort of game...

Now, where did Megumin's dirty tricky mind come from, I wonder? But either way, Aqua's face at the end is one for the ages.
                                Last edited by bctaris; 02-23-2017, 12:34 AM.
                                Avatar: Tsumugi, Sweetness & Lightning
                                Moderation: General Anime; English Track; Movie; TV | TFP Forum Rules
                                Please Support The Fandom Post

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine
                                Working...
                                X