Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! 2 (KonoSuba 2) Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Episode 3

So that's one reason we haven't seen much dungeon exploring in this series. It's yet another thing in which Megumin is completely useless for with her lack of magic versatility. So she just waits outside and practices her incantations. I really love how much the music goes hand-in-hand with that, cutting out everytime she decides to redo it with a different line. But with that, it's nice to get some interactions with just the good ol' odd pair of Kazuma and Aqua with their misadventures throught the dungeon. Though I actually like the bit of depth to that with Aqua actually getting some opportunities to show herself useful and behaving like a real goddess in response to the Keele's request. Of course it's twisted back around when Kazuma realizes that there may be more too their high undead encounter rate.

They sure get to having one heck of a party with the adventurers afterwards. This also feels like a bit of a fun callback to the earlier times in a number of places, such as the Aqua/Megumin bath, Chris getting her panties stolen again, and Aqua's big hangover afterwards. It was cute, though, seeing Yunyun spy on them. It seems like she's envious of the camaraderie of that adventuring party. Like that she's not shy in trying to join in, even if she's met with the same bit misfortune as the rest.

And speaking of misfortune, I like how every episode without Darkness, they at least manage to sneak in a quick scene of her in distress. Or is she in "distress", as it seems like she would welcome that kind of thing?

Originally posted by GingaDaiuchuu View Post
    Wow, two my last two remaining Winter 2017 Wednesday Crunchyroll series both had chests that turned out to be mimics in their respective episodes for this week.
    I found that to be very amusing, too. Good thing Kazuma and Aqua didn't have to deal with a cursed dragon like Fafnir guarding this treasure. They're not high level enough for that...

Comment

Originally posted by EmperorBrandon View Post
      I really love how much the music goes hand-in-hand with that, cutting out everytime she decides to redo it with a different line.
      Yeah, that was good. At first I thought it was a glitch at the first cut, then immediately noticed what they did. Brilliant :D

And speaking of misfortune, I like how every episode without Darkness, they at least manage to sneak in a quick scene of her in distress. Or is she in "distress", as it seems like she would welcome that kind of thing?
      I don't know, but I guess it depends on the 'distress' involved. Or maybe we're only seeing half of her whole reaction, which she probably follows up with some sort of 'gasm the viewers aren't privy to

Comment

(So I really have been watching each episode twice... Easier to just watch the animation the second time. )

They sure get to having one heck of a party with the adventurers afterwards. This also feels like a bit of a fun callback to the earlier times in a number of places, such as the Aqua/Megumin bath, Chris getting her panties stolen again, and Aqua's big hangover afterwards. It was cute, though, seeing Yunyun spy on them. It seems like she's envious of the camaraderie of that adventuring party. Like that she's not shy in trying to join in, even if she's met with the same bit misfortune as the rest.
        Camaraderie is pretty much what the whole story is about. It's what makes the show click: The attention to detail for the same large group of adventurers and waitresses and guild employees at the guild hall; the whole dependent relationships of the main four; the meta joke of it all (expressed with Kazuma's emotional crisis about debt and daily repetition here) that, for a world of adventure, they have yet to leave this "beginner" town; the deliberate and wise limitation of regular set pieces, just the mansion and the guild hall, maybe Wiz's shop, so that it's easier to feel connected to the whole place, where the quest settings are demarcated strongly with the video game title screens so you know to take them lightly; even the deliberate design and focus of the OP/EDs of both seasons.

It's all about more than just companionship and place, it's all about home and the camaraderie of home. It's the charm and it makes you care about not only the characters but their setting, and few comedy series (or dramatic ones for that matter) have pulled it off as well as they have here. Or as quickly: if it were a standard on-the-road adventure, it would have taken twice as long to get that sense of camaraderie between the characters.

Originally posted by Sensuifu View Post
        I really love how much the music goes hand-in-hand with that, cutting out everytime she decides to redo it with a different line.
        Yeah, that was good. At first I thought it was a glitch at the first cut, then immediately noticed what they did. Brilliant :D
        Kind of a secret fan of sound design/editing here, and Konosuba's been creative about it from the beginning. All the spillovers of lines into the interstitials are always genius, and always doing those interstitials after dramatic scenes, of course. Megumin's "explosion!" being cut down each time in the beginning here is also sly fun.

But apart from editing that's also just great scripting--Kazuma's occasional "Yes, I'm Kazuma" lines in response to Aqua/Megumin/Darkness is a neat joke to the old anime habit of characters always calling out another's name in dramatic scenes. The comedy beat to it though is reproduced as well with Megumin in episode 2, in the bath with her sleepy "yes"s.
        Avatar: Tsumugi, Sweetness & Lightning
        Moderation: General Anime; English Track; Movie; TV | TFP Forum Rules
        Please Support The Fandom Post

Comment

Originally posted by bctaris View Post
          The attention to detail for the same large group of adventurers and waitresses and guild employees at the guild hall
          I was thinking the same seeing them this episode and remembering all the times I've see those same faces in the first series.

Comment

It's all about more than just companionship and place, it's all about home and the camaraderie of home. It's the charm and it makes you care about not only the characters but their setting, and few comedy series (or dramatic ones for that matter) have pulled it off as well as they have here. Or as quickly: if it were a standard on-the-road adventure, it would have taken twice as long to get that sense of camaraderie between the characters.
            So very true. Everyone from the guild members to the main group do share a meaningful camaraderie...it's instances like Yunyun and Megumin's flashback as well as the circumstances that led to Kazuma's death that kind of sheds an indirect perspective of what it means to be without that supporting person/people to lean on. The writing manages to evoke this sentimentality while staying comedic, yet not being heavy handed as a bitter satire. It's actually a highly layered show that goes beyond the gags and fanservice, into something more meaningful in regard to friendships- the way they start, develop, and are strengthened throughout. There aren't many shows that actually target multiple themes and excel at intertwining them to make it work.

Kind of a secret fan of sound design/editing here, and Konosuba's been creative about it from the beginning. All the spillovers of lines into the interstitials are always genius, and always doing those interstitials after dramatic scenes, of course. Megumin's "explosion!" being cut down each time in the beginning here is also sly fun.
            Yeah, loved the Megumin bit too. I've always like those successive cuts, whether to shorten a word or illustrate a scene.

But apart from editing that's also just great scripting--Kazuma's occasional "Yes, I'm Kazuma" lines in response to Aqua/Megumin/Darkness is a neat joke to the old anime habit of characters always calling out another's name in dramatic scenes. The comedy beat to it though is reproduced as well with Megumin in episode 2, in the bath with her sleepy "yes"s.
            Hah, definitely; qft. This was one thing I pointed out in the past, (though I forget which thread/topic that was) that nobody in real life calls out another person's name for every little sentence or remark. Or if they do, it's most likely due to a psychological issue. So seeing Kazuma react to 'the obvious' is always a riot. :D I always appreciate when the humor goes beyond meta and actually points out the absurdity of certain habits.

Comment

Episode 4

A match not made in heaven.

Darkness is back and while she was able to convince her royal family to help out, it comes with the condition that she marries Walther. So at the marriage meeting, Walther and Darkness have a duel and while she is no match, her persistence convinced Walther that she's happier with Kazuma. So the marriage is off.

Usually, arranged marriages involve a groom that's an absolute jerk, but not here as Walther is a nice guy who takes being a knight very seriously. He simply wants Darkness to be happy, and that's exactly what he does there by giving her to Kazuma. That was pretty lewd how things went down seeing that those fancy dresses just don't suit Darkness, but in the end everything is good. At least until Sena came in with something.
              MyAnimeList | Avatar: Rikka "Lily" Isurugi, Black Fox
              Watching: Gate, Mitsuboshi Colors, Snow White with the Red Hair, Ghost Hound, Toonami Stuff
              Simulcasts: FTL, KYB, FRB, MIX, FIL, MTI, DUN, ALS, COP, DRS, IDD, FSN-LE, VLS, MMZ, GIV, HES, HDB, AKO, NHG, RST, SND, PKC
              The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 4

I liked the bit at the beginning with Kazuma and Aqua fighting over her alcoholic habits, and then Megumin comforts Chomusuke as if it's the traumatized child of a dysfunctional family.

But soon we get the glorious return of Darkness, in the most cleavage-baring noblewoman's outfit as possible (Aqua makes such fun use of that cleavage rather quickly, seeking any comfort she can over Kazuma). Heh, and the fact they don't recognize her at first actually gets to pleasing Darkness's sensibilities (which then tips them off).

So now we have an arranged marriage (Kazuma's reaction to the handsomeness of the portrait is quite instinctive) to deal with. It was fun seeing them meet Darkness's father, and Aqua and Kazuma were trying to hold back laughter from her real name being said so casually. Lalatina! Of course the big problem with this arranged marriage for Darkness is that the person she's meeting is a perfectly good, upstanding dude, exactly what Darkness doesn't want in a partner. She only wants to partner with someone as vile as, well... Kazuma. Heh, Darkness is "hopeless" as ever in all she exclaims but that's why we love her.

Kazuma's self-servingly trying to work against Darkness sabotaging the meeting, though, because Dustiness has offered to reward him for that. So many great hilarious (and of course very sexy, with Darkness involved) hijinks follow as both of their efforts backfire in unexpected ways. In the end, though, after all that craziness, it seems things work out decently since Walther has actually been kind of charmed (corrupted?) by them. That can get Aldarp off their back and Darkness back to adventuring with them. Heh, and Lord Dustiness's reaction at the end to the pregnancy lie... Turns out that's why he was really set on this marriage thing from the start. Seems like the poor guy wants a grandchild and thinks he's never going to get one with his daughter being so eccentric.

Well, there was a little bit of a heartwarming note there hearing a bit about how happy Darkness was when she finally got to do some adventuring with a thief friend (I assume Chris: would be nice to have some more focus on her too at some point) after seemingly having failed in many attempts before then.

After cleverly manipulating Megumin into going off to deal with monsters Sena wanted them to take care of, they end up coming back for the cliffhanger. Guess I should have figured that was something that was not going to be wrapped up nicely off screen. Curious to see what's coming there next episode.
                Last edited by EmperorBrandon; 02-01-2017, 02:33 PM.

Comment

Darkness, in the most cleavage-baring noblewoman's outfit as possible
                  Something that was wonderfully present in every scene with her in. Very prominently. Covering at least half of the frame.

Oh god, I love this show sometimes.
                  Proudly Part of the Eli-chan Fanclub
                  Eardrums be damned, she's so cute!

Find me in the Blogs, on Youtube and occasionally Twitch.

Comment

After a few episodes of appearing to get tortured but for some reason not loving it, Darkness finally returns for her starring role! Megumin gets excluded for the episode to provide greater focus on the returning masochist and the main duo, mostly the lead himself. Ah, it's great to be reminded of just how fucked up Darkness is, admitting even more than ever before. Kazuma really would be the best fit for her, for all the wrong reasons. He is truly the only man who embodies irredeemable trash enough to fit Darkness's tastes.

And holy shit, those breasts. This show never fails to go over the top on every level.
                    My Top Anime | Manga
                    My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                    My FP Reviews | Twitter
                    FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

I.
                      Died.
                      Laughing.

Rezzed.

I.
                      Died.
                      Laughing.

Rezzed.

I...well, you get the picture.

That was just too funny. Ah, Darkness, how we've missed your perverted, masochistic self. This episode was just comedy platinum in so many ways. Darkness's cleavage, Kazuma first realizing his party might lose it's Crusader, then realizing his party might lose it's Crusader who can't hit ANYTHING, manipulating Megumin, hoping to also rid his party of the usually useless mage, how Darkness and Kazuma go back and forth with each other, trying to achieve opposite goals. So much more: Darkness about her prospective husband's flaws and what the perfect man means to her; Kazuma and Darkness's duel, and how he manipulates her to achieve victory. And then there's Darkness's "bombshell" announcement at the end of the show...though why anyone would believe it, LOL!

So we discover that Kazuma really is the perfect man for Lalatina, er, Darkness. So far we've had 2 of the funniest episodes I've seen in a while, in ep. 2 and 4 (and ep. 3 was darn good as well, with ep. 1 having good moments as well). I am so glad they decided on a 2nd season.
                      My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
                      1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
                      2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
                      3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

All the spillovers of lines into the interstitials are always genius
                        But apart from editing that's also just great scripting--Kazuma's occasional "Yes, I'm Kazuma" lines in response
                        Ha, and they managed to mesh the two together this time.

I liked the bit at the beginning with Kazuma and Aqua fighting over her alcoholic habits, and then Megumin comforts Chomusuke as if it's the traumatized child of a dysfunctional family.

...and Aqua and Kazuma were trying to hold back laughter from her real name being said so casually. Lalatina!
                        Both wonderful bits. Also check Aqua's expressions in the background of several scenes, and especially the end, desperate to spread the new rumor. She's a great ham. (Also notice her maid uniform, notably different from the main staff's, in her usual commando style.)

It was sweet to hear of Darkness's travails, and referencing Chris there, and by extension Kazuma and crew. Again, that camaraderie.

Comment

That was pretty hilarious; :D Loved that bit.

But soon we get the glorious return of Darkness, in the most cleavage-baring noblewoman's outfit as possible (Aqua makes such fun use of that cleavage rather quickly, seeking any comfort she can over Kazuma). Heh, and the fact they don't recognize her at first actually gets to pleasing Darkness's sensibilities (which then tips them off).
                          Lalati 'er Darkness was really unrecognizable. I can understand a change in appearance, but those breasts....yep, goes back to creator/director's intent. I'm pretty sure part of it is intentionally off-model for that extra 'wow...' factor.

Well, there was a little bit of a heartwarming note there hearing a bit about how happy Darkness was when she finally got to do some adventuring with a thief friend (I assume Chris: would be nice to have some more focus on her too at some point) after seemingly having failed in many attempts before then.
                          This pretty much affirms what I thought about earlier, that those prior scenes with Megumin and Yunyun's loneliness, not to mention Kazuma's has some thematic relevance. Now we can add Darkness's experience, which her father felt like he was to be blamed for that.

After cleverly manipulating Megumin into going off to deal with monsters Sena wanted them to take care of, they end up coming back for the cliffhanger. Guess I should have figured that was something that was not going to be wrapped up nicely off screen. Curious to see what's coming there next episode.
                          more Megumin's explosions causing collateral damage? Wouldn't be surprised. :D

Comment

I think what this show (and presumably the original novels) does well is to upend expectations in a way that's truly surprising, not predictable. It's very easy to go against what you would expect to happen by just doing the exact opposite thing. But Konosuba is a bit more subtle than that. Sending Megumin away on the pretext "that occasionally she's smart and talks sense" is funny because that's not exactly how Kazuma thinks of her most of the time…and yet it's slightly true. And while the joke of having the three of them not recognize Darkness when she's in full noblewoman mode is to be expected…the animators did such a good job disguising Darkness that I took a moment to think "Wait…who is this woman coming into the mansion?" The moment she opened her mouth, of course, it was Darkness, but they had done a very good job of completely redesigning her appearance that if a different voice had come through, you could have believed it was someone else.

I fear the Dustiness family line is coming to an end
                            Avatar: Craft Lawrence from Spice and Wolf.
                            Scratchy for Tama is angry.
                            Casually Reviewing: ???

Comment

This pretty much affirms what I thought about earlier, that those prior scenes with Megumin and Yunyun's loneliness, not to mention Kazuma's has some thematic relevance. Now we can add Darkness's experience, which her father felt like he was to be blamed for that.
                              I hadn't put those pieces together until now, so good point. Three of our four leads have loneliness or hardship in their pasts (Megumin maybe more the latter--but we don't know the fate of her sister) and so, naturally (and as the EDs of both seasons are at pains to express), it's all the familiar story of finding a family here. All we're waiting for is Aqua's background: she's very (co-)dependent on Kazuma, and insecure about Eris, and how people perceive her, and it probably hints at an also lonely existence. Right now, we know less about Aqua then anyone.

Comment

All we're waiting for is Aqua's background: she's very (co-)dependent on Kazuma, and insecure about Eris, and how people perceive her, and it probably hints at an also lonely existence. Right now, we know less about Aqua then anyone.
                                Yeah, had that in mind as well. Kind of saw it already...with her presumably being 'ousted' to help Kazuma until they defeat the Demon Lord. Oddly enough, she seems to be the only person in resurrecting in these kinds of cases, something she was reluctant about, yet understanding of it since nobody else would do the job. I suppose having to do something like that, knowing you're the only one assigned to them, would be lonesome. Lucky for her though (although at the time she wasn't grateful); Kazuma's case was special in that she actually was freed from straight out, monotonous resurrecting people. She actually got the opportunity to hang around a bunch of misfits like herself. :D

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine
                                Working...
                                X