Widgets Magazine

Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! 2 (KonoSuba 2) Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Winter 2017] Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo! 2 (KonoSuba 2) Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    この素晴らしい世界に祝福を!2

Kazuma's quests with his dysfunctional party in a fantasy world continues.

Airs: Wednesday, January 11

Studio: Deen

ANN EntryMy Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

Season 1 Thread

Following a tragic accident, the game-loving shut-in Satou Kazuma was reborn in a parallel world. Though his dream of enjoying a new life as an adventurer in an RPG-inspired world and striving to be a hero didn't come true, he managed to get by in his new world. He was joined by Aqua, the goddess who accompanied him to the parallel world; Megumin, an arch wizard who can only use her magic once a day; and Darkness, a crusader whose attacks always miss. And so, along with his party of girls who have extremely advanced powers but unfortunately can't take full advantage of them, he managed to complete some quests here and there.

Then, one day, after Kazuma's party saved the town of Axel from the mobile fortress Destroyer, a messenger from the capital came to tell Kazuma that he was suspected of the crime of subversion to the state! Where will the ordinary adventurer Kazuma's life in a parallel world lead him tomorrow?!

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Rikka "Lily" Isurugi, Black Fox
    Watching: Gate, Mitsuboshi Colors, Snow White with the Red Hair, Ghost Hound, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, KYB, FRB, MIX, FIL, MTI, DUN, ALS, COP, DRS, IDD, FSN-LE, VLS, MMZ, GIV, HES, HDB, AKO, NHG, RST, SND, PKC
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Order in the court.

And so, the second season begins with Kazuma on trial for destroying that mansion during the last attack after teleporting the bomb to a random location. So after all sorts of interrogations and stuff, the trial is on where the guild members are all there to back up Kazuma's heroics. Kazuma has been given a stay with the judge honoring the request Darkness made to be given time to prove his innocence. As part of the plea, he is to repay for the damages to the mansion and will be under close surveillance.

It's great to be back with this show as the whole RPG-like setting definitely is a sight to behold once again. That pause screen is back in the first episode and that was really funny. So for now, Kazuma is off the hook but bigger adventures await now that he's in the doghouse in a big way.
    Watching: Gate, Mitsuboshi Colors, Snow White with the Red Hair, Ghost Hound, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, KYB, FRB, MIX, FIL, MTI, DUN, ALS, COP, DRS, IDD, FSN-LE, VLS, MMZ, GIV, HES, HDB, AKO, NHG, RST, SND, PKC
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

Hah, I love the Engrishy Star Wars opening parody: "and the pretty goddess willingly joined to the journey": I love how it's wrong in so many different ways. :D

So we pick up where we left off, with Kazuma not in a very good position here. Despite his flaws (and boy, does the trial present a lot of great opportunities to get them ALL out for everyone to see ), he's gained a lot of enthusiastic defenders. I love how the defense easily withers away at the slightest suggestion that those defending him would share in the guilt and be punished accordingly. Aqua and Megumin in particular keep having to back away at points on that regard, from their own misdeeds. The see-sawing situation with Kazuma is a lot of fun. Just when you think he might finally be cleared, he immediately gets tossed back in to hot water. And that goes all the way to the end, just when Kazuma thinks he can finally set off on the second chapter of his adventure with a clear mind... their assets are seized!

Aqua's complete failure at prison break assistance was fun. Kazuma keeps up having to giving up (realizing they won't work) and quickly going back to chilling in his cell. And there was ample view of Aqua's pantylessness during those scenes.

Stern prosecutor Sena is pretty interesting. She actually manages to go quite dere the first time Kazuma gets cleared. Kind of seems like the tables had sharply turned. I like that got twisted in perfect Konosuba fashion when Kazuma pushed a bit too hard and really hit a nerve. Hahaha... I wonder how much of a role she'll be playing going forward after Kazuma (sort of) got out of this crisis. Seems like she could be fun.

I had wondered if Wiz was possibly going to out herself (but that probably wouldn't have ended nicely for her and her associations with the adventurers given the medieval prejudice we see on full display this episode: wonder if that's an angle we may get later) Ultimately it's Darkness that's critical in coming through for Kazuma, though it means she has to leave them. I can't see Darkness being separated from them for long (she's still in the OP too). Maybe she will drive Aldarp crazy rather quickly with her eccentricities. Hehe.
      Last edited by EmperorBrandon; 01-11-2017, 01:37 PM.

Comment

Great to see the KonoSuba gang back doing what they do best.
        Currently Watching | MAL Profile
        Let's make anime great again!

Comment

God that was hilarious. Kazuma may not be a true criminal in all the ways he's been tried for, but he sure is a terrible person, and he has no choice but to readily admit that in a number of ways. Really, the entire trial process is unnecessary with that kind of infallible magic. Absolutely great stuff.
          My Top Anime | Manga
          My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
          My FP Reviews | Twitter
          FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

what's this? aots already?

Thank God KonoSuba is back; possibly the only show I'll anticipate each week.

Comment

As expected, a whole lot of fun, though it looks like they're skimping on the budget for the 2nd season. Heh, Phoenix Wright parody.
              My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
              1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
              2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
              3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

Lol these retards. Kazuma gets arrested on suspicion of having links to the demon King. Everyone tries to help him but then they all back off when the prosecutor says that she can imprison them all. Such friends. Lol that lie detection part. Kazuma was forced to tell the truth about everything and got trapped when he realized that Wiz was part of the demon king's army at some point. And the prosecutor brought up Kazuma's completely unrelated panty stealing to try and prove him guilty. He was also accused for all the stuff Megumin and Aqua did lol. Darkness saves the day but she could have done more given her family is close to the King. Obviously they were trying to convict a clearly innocent guy just to prevent that Lord from any embarrassment. She could have picked that thing up and wrapped things up peacefully. Oh well, they're all idiots after all. Now Kazuma has to repay the debt he now has due to the damages caused. Great hilarious episode.
                My ReviewsMy MAL ProfileMy Anime List

Comment

Maybe I'm reading too much into things, but I am starting to become highly suspect of the starting town in general. I mean I know part of the blame is on the protagonist party. However I am starting to think the whole starting town is a set up. Ie something is off to me.
                  "So be it you have control of the world, but I will rule the universe! The power of Sword and Axe!"
                  Avatar: Tatyana of Romancing SaGa 3

Comment

Originally posted by General Hentai View Post
                    though it looks like they're skimping on the budget for the 2nd season.
                    My first reaction, too, except I remembered the first season was just the same (link above): inconsistent modeling, giving way to very exaggerated and plastic expressions and reactions; the best animation saved for the most dynamic scenes; intentionally skimpy and goofy animation for the dumb stuff...

Yep, and like then I still think it adds more than a little charm to things; it helps it all (especially a gag comedy like this) feel loose. (But I'm not a stickler for consistent quality in TV animation anyway.) And the writing (and voice acting) are the real stars, of course.

Viva la Konosuba. This'll be fun, once again.
                    Avatar: Tsumugi, Sweetness & Lightning
                    Moderation: General Anime; English Track; Movie; TV | TFP Forum Rules
                    Please Support The Fandom Post

Comment

Originally posted by bctaris View Post
                      My first reaction, too, except I remembered the first season was just the same (link above): inconsistent modeling, giving way to very exaggerated and plastic expressions and reactions; the best animation saved for the most dynamic scenes; intentionally skimpy and goofy animation for the dumb stuff...

Yep, and like then I still think it adds more than a little charm to things; it helps it all (especially a gag comedy like this) feel loose. (But I'm not a stickler for consistent quality in TV animation anyway.) And the writing (and voice acting) are the real stars, of course.

adding to that note, specifically what's noted in image 2, the design and animation is indeed done this way for all intents and purposes you mentioned.

Comment

Originally posted by Sensuifu View Post

adding to that note, specifically what's noted in image 2, the design and animation is indeed done this way for all intents and purposes you mentioned.
                        My comment there had made me finally start rewatching season one, and the intent of all that is evident, absolutely. Where simplifying the character design (especially with the face; smiled at that interview translation of Megumin being described as "calmly cute") does allow for a more broad "composition" of the character--the design itself, how it sets and moves in the scene, how it's lit and colored, the expression, all of that. And if you pause random scenes, Konosuba does all of that in surprising ways, full of craft.

It's kind of a profound commentary on animation today, where you have KyoAni animators complaining about so much detail even in eyes that they're losing money to complete a simple static key frame. And where that hyper-detail has led the expectation of the moe aesthetic to rest more and more on character design alone. Moe, as Kikuta suggests, is a result of a character's composition, or it used to be. It gets to the point of this show: the reason Konosuba is so enjoyable is beyond just funny writing, or fanservice, or clever references--it's that its characters have a very accessible emotional connection with the audience. "Moe" is supposed to be an expression of just that, but I think it's become lost in the dazzle of too-perfect character design. Kazuma, Aqua, Darkness, and Megumin's imperfect, silly expressions draw our attention more than the slick doll-like realism of more perfect--more "cold"--designs.

(Though maybe an oddly happy result of budgets, as well, I can't help to have noticed that simplified and loosee character design, almost especially in still well designed and artistic shows, has been on the upswing in general lately. The pursuit of perfection when it comes to true to life CG is one thing, but in everything else it gets in the way of that ever cliched, but always true, human connection.)
                        Last edited by bctaris; 01-14-2017, 03:25 AM.
                        Avatar: Tsumugi, Sweetness & Lightning
                        Moderation: General Anime; English Track; Movie; TV | TFP Forum Rules
                        Please Support The Fandom Post

Comment

My comment there had made me finally start rewatching season one, and the intent of all that is evident, absolutely. Where simplifying the character design (especially with the face; smiled at that interview translation of Megumin being described as "calmly cute") does allow for a more broad "composition" of the character--the design itself, how it sets and moves in the scene, how it's lit and colored, the expression, all of that. And if you pause random scenes, Konosuba does all of that in surprising ways, full of craft.

It's kind of a profound commentary on animation today, where you have KyoAni animators complaining about so much detail even in eyes that they're losing money to complete a simple static key frame. And where that hyper-detail has led the expectation of the moe aesthetic to rest more and more on character design alone. Moe, as Kikuta suggests, is a result of a character's composition, or it used to be. It gets to the point of this show: the reason Konosuba is so enjoyable is beyond just funny writing, or fanservice, or clever references--it's that its characters have a very accessible emotional connection with the audience. "Moe" is supposed to be an expression of just that, but I think it's become lost in the dazzle of too-perfect character design. Kazuma, Aqua, Darkness, and Megumin's imperfect, silly expressions draw our attention more than the slick doll-like realism of more perfect--more "cold"--designs.

(Though maybe an oddly happy result of budgets, as well, I can't help to have noticed that simplified and loosee character design, almost especially in still well designed and artistic shows, has been on the upswing in general lately. The pursuit of perfection when it comes to true to life CG is one thing, but in everything else it gets in the way of that ever cliched, but always true, human connection.)
                          Yeah, ditto on all accounts. We've seen this for a while now too; that some beautifully rendered/animated shows fall victim to bland writing and characterless characters. There are few exceptions, but I think KyoAni is a good of example of a studio making a few aesthetically, technically beautiful works, yet the content and writing of some of those productions are a disservice to what the technical staff had to endure. Beyond the Boundary? Check. Myriad Colors Phantom World. double check. Sometimes simplicity and derpy-looking art works in favor in enhancing that specific theme and genre and vice-versa. It's obviously established KonoSuba's identity for one, and it definitely accentuates the characters' traits and personas in effect, whereas had they been spotlessly, laser-accurate-defined and polished to look like KyoAni renderings, that charisma/personality would be missing. Not saying something like Tamako Market would've been better had it looked like KonoSuba, but sometimes you wonder about the story, possibly considering the animation values being the only redeeming things about the show.

Comment

Episode 2

She's her only friend.

On a quest to slay some giant toads to pay off their massive debt, Megumin's rival Yunyun drops by to save the day. Yunyun gets close to Kazuma to the point where he is called a lolicon. The next day, they meet again at Wiz's shop and their past is revealed as Yunyun had been alone all this time as she's a Crimson Demon. Things get out of hand and the crystal ball breaks.

That was just a sad life that Yunyun had been living and it's no wonder she's so attached to Megumin. Anyway, it's great to see those giant toads back as seeing those girls getting grabbed by their mouths is really funny and a constant reminder of how dysfunctional this party is. The chemistry between Megumin and Yunyun really is something.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

Haha, those giant toads again. Sena doesn't know what she's getting into from having to "observe" these misfits. "A-Are you people always like this?" Haha, this is only a small taste. I wonder how much of the craziness we will continue to see her get mixed up in.

The need to deslimify leads to some bath antics with Kazuma and Megumin. Locking the door to the bath? This is anime: of course that's always forgotten (and just as Kazuma was talking down the tropes in his fight with Megumin earlier over who got to enter first) Heh, his attempts to prevent Aqua from entering backfire and the list of insults she can throw at him grows just as she feared.

Yunyun should really refrain from playing around with items in Wiz's shop. But she can never back down from a chance to challenge Megumin. Poor Yunyun and her friendlessness. No wonder she's clinging even to a pathetic eccentric who belittles her so tightly.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X