X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Winter 2017] Kemono Friends Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    けものフレンズ

A show about cute animal girls at a zoo, and a lost child who ends up becoming an explorer.

Airs: Tuesday, January 10

Studio: Yaoyorozu

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

The anime's story takes place in Japari Park, a "gigantic integrated zoo." In the zoo, due to the mysterious "sand star" substance, the animals start turning into human-shaped creatures called Animal Girls. Japari Park is a place where many people visit and have fun at, but one day a lost child wanders into the park. The lost child starts a journey to return, but because so many Animal Girls join in on the quest it becomes an unexpected grand adventure.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Rikka "Lily" Isurugi, Black Fox
    Watching: Gate, Mitsuboshi Colors, Snow White with the Red Hair, Ghost Hound, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, KYB, FRB, MIX, FIL, MTI, DUN, ALS, COP, DRS, IDD, FSN-LE, VLS, MMZ, GIV, HES, HDB, AKO, NHG, RST, SND, PKC
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

What's lost is a found opportunity.

I was expecting this to be a short as it appeared to be nothing more than an advertisement for a smartphone game and the animation quality suggested that as well with the CG usage, but it turns out to be standard length. This might have worked for a short, but most definitely not for a standard length show. In any case, it's cute and educational, while Serval is proving to be a great tour guide for Kaban. While it doesn't amount to much with the gimmicky nature of this show and the CG usage, the animal girls are still nice to look at, so I'll continue with this show for the time being. But at some point, I'm pretty sure I'll get tired of this show's stupidity.
    Last edited by Buckeye; 01-10-2017, 07:32 PM.
    Watching: Gate, Mitsuboshi Colors, Snow White with the Red Hair, Ghost Hound, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, KYB, FRB, MIX, FIL, MTI, DUN, ALS, COP, DRS, IDD, FSN-LE, VLS, MMZ, GIV, HES, HDB, AKO, NHG, RST, SND, PKC
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

Holy shit, why did this have to be full-length? That was extremely difficult to sit through. Such utter garbage on so many levels. Even for a dumb kids' show, even for a mindless smartphone game commercial, such hideous CG and inane writing are enough to make my brain bleed.
      My Top Anime | Manga
      My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
      My FP Reviews | Twitter
      FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 2

Welcome to the jungle.

And now, it's off to the jungle where Serval introduces Kaban to several other animal girls and along the way, they decide that they need to get to the library, which is quite far away. So they find a bus, but the battery needs to be recharged, which can only be done on mountain cafe. So pretty much, it's more of the same from the first episode as Serval serves as a tour guide and Kaban explores another part of the zoo, and it continues to show why this would have been better served as a short (ideally with half-length episodes) than a standard-length show as some parts were just needlessly stretched out in order to fill the time.

So with that, I guess I'll give it another episode. While this show continues to be woefully lacking in substance, the animals girls are at least cute to look at, so at least it's not a total loss.

Comment

Episode 3

Need a lift?

So now it's up the mountain to recharge the bus battery, and unfortunately for them, there's no cart at the bottom to utilize the lift, so they will have to climb. But luckily for the bag girl an ibis girl is there that can give her a lift. The cafe is run by the alpaca girl, which has been pretty quiet as there hasn't been any customers coming. But thanks to the bag girl's idea to make a sign using the lawn, that problem is fixed just like that, all while the bus is now up and running. The interaction between animal girls is pretty cute, but again this show takes its sweet time doing everything, which is the biggest problem this show has.

So with that, I'll give it one more episode as while this show continues to show why it would have been better served as a short seeing that those mid-episode eyecatches last a long time and here the ride up and down the mountain take much longer than necessary, I still enjoy this as a kids show.

Comment

Episode 4

It's getting hot in here.

So the bus trip begins venturing through the desert and picking up a cute sand cat that was dropped by the sudden sandstorm. And then it starts to really sizzle and off to the cave they go to cool off, as well as meet the tsuchinoko, which is a snake of legends. Trying to find a way out, Ceruleans attack, but the bag girl finds the exit signs and in the end it was built to be an entertainment place. The first half was yet another stretched-out scene, but the second half is quite amusing, especially when bag girl and Serval find out the truth about the cave they were just in.

With that, the trial period is over for this show, and at the moment I am wavering on what I want to do with this show seeing that this is an enjoyable show with the proper mindset, which I have, but it's pretty clear that this show has a specific audience in mind and is made that way not really trying to do anything else with it.

Comment

Episode 5

Build something great.

Next up on Bag girl's journey through Japari Park is the lake where through a bizarre sequence of events that started when Serval tried to drive the bus, she meets a beaver and prairie dog as they are trying to build a cabin from a bunch of trees, but the beaver can't quite get her idea off the ground. So after hearing what those two animals want with their building, Bag girl puts her plan into action and everybody is happy. Those two animals really are something, and certainly bag girl has what it takes to be an engineer after helping those two out like that.

So with that, I decided that I'll stick with this show as I have taken a great interest in this show even if it feels poorly planned. At least in this episode I didn't feel that there was anything that is just there to fill the run time unlike with the previous episodes, so I'm up for more of this.

Comment

Episode 6

It's all fun and games here.

Last time, bag girl and Serval were greeted with hostility when arriving at the plains, and what's happening is that the Lion and her pride is at "war" with the Moose's army, which is a game where the two armies go out and try and pop the leader's balloon, and every time Moose was defeated well short of the castle. So they end up training the Moose's army up and while the have quite a lot of skill, their tactics and strategy are just way too grassroots to stand a chance. So after some coaching by Bag girl and Serval, they go out to war and this time, the Moose reaches the castle to fight Lion for the first time, and the duel ends in a draw. That was pretty silly how all that went down, but it was amusing to see these animal armies fight.

Next time, the two reach their destination at the Japari Library, and it will be interesting to see what happens during their visit seeing that this is only the halfway mark of this show that for some bizarre reason, it's really popular in Japan.

Comment

Episode 7

And here we go, the truth is finally revealed. Bag-chan is a human, and humans are extinct(maybe?). This show has a I Am Legend vibe to it now, with instead of vampires, we get animal girls. I really hope this doesn't get depressing. If Bag-chan is the last human, maybe she can live with the rest of the girls.
                  Avatar: Shimarin from Laid Back Camo.

Comment

Re: Episode 7

Humanity has gone extinct.

So that explains why Bag girl doesn't know she's a human, and that's because she's the last one remaining. I would have to think that those Cerulean blobs are the reason why humans were wiped off this planet, but nevertheless that was quite a big reveal there. Bag girl had to do quite a lot in order to learn the truth navigating through the Quiz Forest, then cooking a dish to satisfy the palettes of two owl girls. So there it is, and the next order of business is to figure out just how it all went down, which I can see happening at the end. But for now, Bag girl will enjoy a concert featuring the ultra-popular penguin idols, as tickets were so hard to get. This show has certainly gotten much better ever since getting over the shock from the first episode as the amount of empty space is decreasing.

Comment

Episode 8

They're flightless, but not frightless.

So after Kaban learns that she's a human, the next order of business is to figure out just what happened that led to the extinction of humanity and the destination is a harbor where humans were spotted a long time ago. But before that, Kaban and Serval attend the PPP concert and there they meet the PPP superfan Margay in the tree, and the Princess Penguin is getting a bad case of stage fright threatening to spoil the concert, nothing that can't be beat with a little big of relaxation and encouragement. While that was quite a silly way for the concert to get off the ground, the performance was pretty good. Next it's onto a snowy mountain en route to the harbor.

So with this show gaining unexpected popularity in Japan that has sent visitor traffic at zoos up that there will be more of this after the winter season, but it hasn't been determined at this time if it is going to be continuing or if a sequel is coming (it's most likely going to be a sequel seeing that the decision was just made not too long ago and it is going to take time to prepare another season with standard-length episodes).

Comment

Episode 9

Starting off surprisingly dramatic and serious right off the bat, but when they get to that part, it's actually not that dire. Kaban's resourcefulness to the rescue again.

And Kaban has a feeling they're supposed to take their clothes off for the bath. I find it very amusing that this whole time the friends had no idea that they had on clothes that they could take off. I expect this fact will end up coming up in ero-doujins too.

Some really intriguing bits about the friends and Ceruleans this episode, particularly with the recording they heard. I've noticed how Lucky Beast has always had question marks for a VA in the credits, and it seems to be the same for Mirai and the other recorded voice ("????" on both sides) this time. I'm curious to see what's up with that eventually.

Comment

Re: Episode 9

There's snow way out.

On the way to the harbor, Kaban and Serval journey through a snowy mountain and it is quite a treacherous adventure. But thanks to Kaban's human intelligence, as well as befriending a couple of cute fox girls, everybody makes is through safely. Kaban sure did come through there building that ice cave for protection during a blizzard, making a makeshift sled to escape the Ceruleans, and to get undressed before taking a dip in the hot springs as apparently, those animals don't realize they are wearing clothes. Those foxes sure are great additions, especially the red one who is into video games, and the whole truth about the Sandstar turning animals into girls is quite a big reveal. There are still more mysteries to come, but nevertheless things are getting interesting.

Comment

Episode 10

Let's get to the bottom of this mystery.

Serval sure is a scaredy cat, while Gray Wolf sure loves to tease as she's a mangaka who is into ghost stories. So Kaban and Serval are staying at the treehouse lodge, and they meet three more friends with the innkeeper Flicker, the mangaka Wolf, and the aspiring detective Giraffe. While the place is not really haunted, the Cerulean outbreak has Kaban and Serval pretty convinced that it is, all while the ghost there is actually a projection of Mirai that Lucky turns on whenever Kaban is nearby. That was some pretty silly stuff going on there, but nevertheless more mysteries are revealed as Ceruleans are born when the Sandstar reacts with inorganic matter, and it turns out that humanity may have just left Japari Park rather than be wiped off the face of the planet based on what Mirai said. Not to mention, Mirai could very well be Kaban's mother given the striking resemblance, while she had been communicating with another Serval. It will be interesting to see where this goes as Kaban and Serval are at their destination and the next episode is all about the Ceruleans.

Comment

Re: Episode 10

Getting in thick with the Mirai and Cerulean stuff rather quickly, as Kaban gets an even more consistent stream of Mirai messages at this lodge. Turns out their ghost issue was a holographic projection of her. I figured as much when Kaban got her first view of it. It also seemed like the girl we kept hearing her with was a Friend of some sort, so interesting to see it was a Serval (so that's why the identity was obscured before in the credits). She's supposedly not the same as the Serval we've been with the whole time. She certainly has a different voice at least, but I do wonder what's up with the sudden emotional reaction from the current Serval. Very curious what we're going to get of the mystery that seems to be unraveling at an accelerated pace now with only two more episodes left to go.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X