X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Winter 2017] ACCA: 13-Territory Inspection Dept. Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    ACCA 13区監察課

A show about an inspection agency in a 13-state kingdom tasked with making sure that a certain giant organization is not doing anything shady.

Airs: Tuesday, January 10

Studio: Madhouse

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll / Funimation

The kingdom of Dowa, which is subdivided into 13 states, is celebrating its monarch's 99th birthday. These 13 states have many agencies that are controlled by the giant organization known as ACCA. Within ACCA, Jean Otis is the second-in-command of the inspection agency. His agency has ten people placed in each of the 13 states, with a central office in the capital city. They keep track of all the activities of ACCA across the kingdom, and keep data on each state's ACCA office flowing toward the central office. Jean also often has business trips from the capital to the other districts to check on the situation and personnel there.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Nanako Yukishiro, Senryu Girl
    Watching: Ingress, Ancient Magus' Bride, Pokemon Sun and Moon, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, DRO, CQK, RSH, AOT, BSD, FRB, OPM, KYB, FGN, SKS, MLA, SMT, HBS, KOT, MIX, WNL, KMA, FIL, IDM, ISQ, SRG, STW
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Not going up in smoke.

It begins by explaining Jean and what he does as an inspector, as well as his lavish lifestyle seeing that smoking in this place is a luxury that only the rich can do. His inspection agency is threatening to be dissolved by Grossular, but Lillium was able to convince him to keep it seeing that they have an important job in making sure that there is nothing shady going on by ACCA. That was really slow and I was lost a few times trying to figure out what to make of things, but it figures to be an interesting story. Madhouse does a fine job in making this style of animation look good as it is fitting for what this show is all about. I'll give it a couple more episodes before making a decision on this.
    Simulcasts: FTL, DRO, CQK, RSH, AOT, BSD, FRB, OPM, KYB, FGN, SKS, MLA, SMT, HBS, KOT, MIX, WNL, KMA, FIL, IDM, ISQ, SRG, STW
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

The OP was pretty cool. And that animation in the ending sequence. Reminded me of Yuri on Ice's OP, except there wasn't any reused animation here.

So there's this federation with 13 autonomous districts overseen by ACCA. Then there's this investigation department here which oversees ACCA itself and catches corruption and other stuff going on within. This department was being shut down, but after Jean uncovered a scam regarding illegal cigarettes in one district, the decision was taken back and Jean told to make surprise visits in 6 months.

Things look like they might be like Kekkai Sensen with seemingly unrelated episodes, but there's an overarching plot here. Jean is under observation for whatever reason. There are quite some fires. There's this thing going on about cigarettes. Jean lost his lighter which is now in the hands of the guy who was tailing him. Grossler is saying something about a coup. Something big is going on while Jean roams around on his inspection trips. Gonna stay here for more.
      My ReviewsMy MAL ProfileMy Anime List

Comment

Re: Episode 1

Nice Madhouse animation, but not much else to keep me. I generally don't like Ono's designs, so adapting from that already hurts it for me. I liked Saraiya Goyou a good deal and at least found Ristorante Paradiso watchable, but this feels too much like it's just trying to be cool without focusing on real characterization. I don't care about anyone, and without anyone to cling to, the nebulous plot threads that have yet to be connected are of no interest.
        My Top Anime | Manga
        My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
        My FP Reviews | Twitter
        FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 2

Everything's bigger in Jumoku.

More of Jean's life is revealed as he also works as the landlord of his housing complex and he doesn't exactly like his job as an inspector. So his next inspection assignment takes him to Jumoku where all of the food is supersized, and he talks with Nino about his future. And some background info about how Dowa ended up with 13 self-governing territories as there was a coup that led to it. The setup is interesting, but in the end nothing really exciting happened.

So with that, I'll give it another episode or two before deciding what to do with this show as it's on the borderline of being one of the last shows in or first shows out.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

The plot seems interesting, but both the show's pacing and the development of the characters are moving too slowly in my view. It's a good show, but it's not really a grade-A show just yet. This looks like a series I'll watch one time and that'll be it.
            Currently Watching | MAL Profile
            Let's make anime great again!

Comment

Re: Episode 2

It looks like Grossler is trying to frame Jean for a coup and is using the guy's best friend and super awesome spy to keep tabs on him. Pretty fun seeing how Jean got so much info on that stalker dude and got him off his tail. Would be really cool if turns out that Jean really was planning a coup. The opening sequence does show something like that: Jean popping out with a crown on his head.

Pretty cool stuff. The coup thing is really intriguing. Someone wants to destroy this hundred year old nation's peace and quiet period. And Grossler is a big suspect. But then again, why would he want to frame Jean for it? Or maybe Nino has something to do with it. There are quite some mysteries here and I'm really looking forward to it all. Very kewl stuff.

Comment

Episode 3

Rise up to the throne.

Jean's next assignment is to attend the prince's coming of age ceremony as an undercover guest, and that is setting the stage for a lot of conflict to go down as the prince is up to something, all while Grossular is plotting a coup to go down and only Lilium seems to be onto something. Jean sure did stand out smoking a cigarette during the ceremony seeing that here, it's a luxury that only the rich can afford to do. There's a lot of plotting and scheming going on, and Jean has unknowingly been a pawn in all this, so it will be interesting to see what comes of this.

So with that, I'll give this show one more episode as things are starting to get pretty interesting after a rather bland start to this show.

Comment

Re: Episode 3

Things are getting so cool now. Mauve wants to investigate the coup rumour more but Grossler has taken her off the case. So she's having Jean do it in her stead since he's the one travelling across the districts so, in a way he is one of the most well-informed persons about what's going on in each district. That's also why everyone is watching him. Grossler has Nino keeping an eye on him, the privy council president also has his eye on him, the chiefs of the districts are also onto him.

Jean is the one incharge of keeping the country together, but his job is also perfect for planning a coup like Grossler suspects. Lilium is against Grossler wanting ACCA to have full powers over everything so he is also planning on using Jean for himself like Mauve is. The privy council president is onto something too. He was also acting pretty suspiciously. The King has something on his mind too with how he defied all expectations by not announcing his abdication like many were expecting.

Despite Jean acting like he doesn't know anything outside his job, he knows quite some stuff. Lilium saying that he can tell when someone is lying when Jean said he didn't know about his brothers was hinting at the amount of iinformation Jean has but claims not to have. Jean is seemingly being used over here by everyone. I'm waiting for when it turns out that it was Jean who was planning the coup all along and he succeeds and reveals himself after everyone else either fails or after people stop observing him. That would be pretty cool if it happens.

There are a lot of things going on and it looks like Jean is putting together everything to get the bigger picture.

Comment

Episode 4

The kingdom is at peace. Or so they say.

Jean's next assignment takes him to Suitsu, which has been cut off from the rest of Dowa and the citizens there are none too pleased about how their transportation and communication to the rest of the kingdom has been limited. So there's a coup planned to take down the corrupt government and Jean happens to get caught up in this mess when he apparently overheard about the plans. But the coup goes horribly wrong when the other protesters strike too soon and everybody gets rounded up, and in the end Warbler ends up staying while Jean agrees not to report this back to ACCA to release everybody. There's quite a lot of shady stuff going on, and this is one of them getting Warbler to open his eyes there. Quite a big eye-opener that was.

So with that, the trial period has expired and while it didn't look like it was going to stick with the way the show started, it definitely has gotten better and more intriguing, so chances are pretty good that I'll stick with this show. But I won't say for sure at the moment until after I complete the trial periods of all six shows that are in the running for the last three spots on my season's watchlist.

Comment

Re: Episode 4

So Jean has made contact with some coup people, though they aren't the coup people Grossler was talking about. These people want to change their district and open it up to the world. The district is so backward that the people don't have mobile phones or even cars, and they're being kept that way just because. Their representative promised to change the place but he never comes to the district anymore. Typical politician. And the ACCA representative of the place was part of the coup attempt. The higher ups of the district issued a gag order and in return for freeing those arrested Jean promises not to report this to HQ.

Liked how Nino came to rescue Jean. And I think Jean knows that it was Nino.

This cigarettes thing is very important here. Jean received a cigarette in an envelope. Grossler also knows that Jean is getting cigarettes for some reason. Jean is doing something in the shadows despite acting like he knows nothing.

Comment

Episode 5

It's cold outside.

After all the chaos he witnessed in Suitsu, Jean's next assignment takes him to the frozen tundra of Birra where things are peaceful and self-sufficient. So after checking on things and seeing nothing wrong there, he's back and his next assignment takes him to Rokkusu with Christmas just around the corner. There in Rokkusu, guys look just like Grossular. That was a pretty uneventful episode there, but it looks like that this is just setup for something big to go down next time as the way Jean approached that guy certainly means something quite big is about to go down.

Comment

Re: Episode 5

Lilium tells Jean about someone tailing him for a month. And that makes Jean realize some events where he ran into someone familiar. And he sees Nino. Boy was it a shock for Nino lol. But Jean doesn't care about the reasons behind why he was being observed.

Jean has to report to Mauve about what happened in Suitsu but he hasn't met her since then. And Nino telling him to go to the bakery was him trying to tell him to meet her. He will have to tell her about the coup stuff in Suitsu. And I don't think Nino told everything about all that to Grossler either. Or maybe he did.

Jean telling Nino to take his imouto out for dinner every night when he's out was him getting Nino off his tail and of course Nino couldn't refuse in front of her so he had to accept.

I'm really liking each district. The world here is pretty interesting. Each district is unique in its own way and Jean is traveling to these unique places but isn't enjoying their uniqueness.

Now he has arrived in Grossler's hometown and is meeting him. What conversation they will have will be interesting. Grossler will bring up the coup thing and probably ask for his opinion on the rumour. He'll try to get some info out of him so that he can confirm his suspicions.

Comment

Episode 6

He takes his job seriously.

So the deal is that Jean's parents died in a train accident on the border of Peshi and Rokkusu, and Rokkusu has shouldered all the blame for this accident. So after all that, the he's celebrating the new year and the 100th anniversary of ACCA, and is continuing his assignments trying to understand the coup and not getting many answers, all while there's a huge conspiracy going on in Dowa. There definitely is something fishy going on and ACCA is certainly hiding something, but in the meantime it's business as usual for Jean until he knows the full scope of the coup. It will be interesting to see what the deal is as Jean's next assignment is to the capital.

Comment

Episode 7

The royal truth is flushed out.

It's no wonder why Jean has been closely watched as it is revealed that he's a prince and the grandson of Dowa's king. Quite a big game-changer that was with the truth coming from Mauve and it's no wonder why he has been treated differently than the other inspectors at ACCA. It will be interesting to see what he and Lotta do now that the truth is out and there are coups going on all over the kingdom.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X