Widgets Magazine

Gabriel DropOut Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Episode 12 (Finale)

    She has seen the light again.

    Nothing ever gets past Zelel as she has clairvoyance and is fully aware of everything Gab has been up to. So it's back to heaven to be rehabbed and she's back to being the person she was when she first arrived, but her friends aren't exactly pleased. So instead Zelel decides to live with Gab so that she won't be distracted by online games, and then comes the dog to chase her away. That was pretty funny to see Gab's attempt to BS the situation, as well as Zelel's reaction to Satania's dog seeing that she's not exactly as almighty as she thinks she is. And it's back to life as usual, but first there's the final exams. That's a solid way to end this show with Gab conquering her sister by sheer luck.

    Overall, this is a show that's all about the comedy, and it is great. The characters are a fun bunch, the jokes hit the spot, and everything that goes on is amusing and never do I get tired of it. While this show doesn't need much of a story, the way the plot is constructed leaves much to be desired as there are a lot of gaps in the story with the most notable one being after episode 10 when the episode ended with Satania trying to break into heaven, but episode 11 begins when the school term resumes. So pretty much, this show excels in comedy and is weak in storytelling in a show where that is not a crucial element.

    MAL Rating: ********--
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Lecia Ivyred, The Rising of the Shield Hero
    Watching: Kyo Kara Maoh, Pokemon Sun and Moon, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, DRO, CQK, RSH, AOT, BSD, FRB, OPM, KYB, FGN, SKS, MLA, SMT, HBS, KOT, MIX, WNL, KMA, FIL, IDM, ISQ, SRG, STW
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

    Comment


    • #62
      Re: Episode 12 (Finale)

      Heh, they sure get to hyping up Zelel's final boss potential before she shows up. When the demons aren't sure, they just have to look over at Raphi's sadistic smile to know Gab is telling the truth, that the discipline could collaterally destroy the human world. Satania thinks she can take her on at first, but then backs away at the image of how powerful Zel is (taking on the chaos faction dragons from Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid :D ). Funny how Gab even ends up begging Satania back when she covers away. You can tell how desperate she is. And Zel makes quite the awe-inspiring angelic entrance in the human world. Sawashiro couldn't be more perfect for a part like this.

      Gab gets to regaining her confidence when she thinks she has the perfect plan to fool her sisters. And she uses what she knows from her games, playing up the little sister moe (like how we see how the female players fell for it too). Using a game-based plan worked well on her principal, but no luck here. She ends up just inflaming the situation with Zel by awkwardly dragging her friends into it.

      I kind of figured what we were going to get with a "re-educated" Gab. Since Satania never met this Gab, it's most interesting to see how she reacts to her. Despite her reaction back when this Gab was first described, she actually gets to liking this at first, living the high life off of Gab's limitless generosity. But then the nagging comes. I love how Gab can exorcise the hell shopping net pres through the screen. That was one addiction Satania really needed to be set free from... but Satania doesn't get to taking all of this well, and of course wants the old Gab back. Even though the model angel Gab was the one Vigne first met, and she seemed to feel bitter about how she changed, she can't get to think well of this either. She's missing out on some of the ways she's really gotten to bond with Gab even if it caused her some frustration. And Raphi is with them as well, since, well... it feels like she's long fallen harder than Gabriel ever did. She talks more like a demon in that regard than any of our demons ever have. I kind of have to wonder if it's Martiel's influence (coupled with the boredom of other aspects of her ojousama life) that she turned out so sadistic.

      And yet this was all just an act from Gab yet again. She mentioned back in the first episode that she thought the way she used to be was just a fake shell anyway. I feel like she was living by Zel's intimidating example for most of her life, seeing what we've had of her this episode. The act again fails when she comes out to her friends. Poor Satania has been a victim of these powers too: Raphi is always watching her (both technologically, as we saw in previous ep, and with her angel powers). Not wanting to be separated from her friends (portrayed as an act again, but I do feel there's some earnestness deep down) ends up being the thing that finally truly convinces Zel... but not to leave her alone. That we end up getting from Satania's melonpan-snatching dog. Given what we saw the previous episode (with Gab helping out Satania selflessly), it feels like is is karma that Gab is ultimately able to get her way in shaking off her big sis. I guess just about any angel has a weakness to a harmless human world animal.

      I loved how we got to end with the teleportation gag again. Having faced off with her sister, Gab thinks her powers have grown enough to where she won't teleport her panties. Instead she's only upgraded it to teleporting her skirt! :D And she leaves herself in an even more embarrassing state of undress back at home. I had a very fun time this season with this bunch of characters. Am wanting to see more, particularly how things go with Tapris when she comes to be a student in the human world. Unlikely we'll see another season anytime soon, as it seems like this is pretty much caught up with the manga. That manga has thankfully been recently licensed by Yen, so I'll be able to collect it though and be able to continue further eventually. Hopefully this series will get the dub treatment at some point too, as I'd love to hear how a dub cast does with this bunch.
      Last edited by EmperorBrandon; 03-27-2017, 02:15 PM.

      Comment


      • #63
        Re: Episode 12 (Finale)

        I will miss Satania and Vigne most of all. The demons were the highlight of the series, along with Raphi, the true devil. Gab hugging her friends tight while stepping on Satania at the end was hilarious. Contrary to what Vigne thinks, I think Gab really loves her friends and wasn't faking that part.

        Although, what happened with episode 10? OVA then?
        Avatar: Shimarin from Laid Back Camo.

        Comment


        • #64
          Re: Episode 12 (Finale)

          Originally posted by Library-chan View Post
          I will miss Satania and Vigne most of all. The demons were the highlight of the series, along with Raphi, the true devil. Gab hugging her friends tight while stepping on Satania at the end was hilarious. Contrary to what Vigne thinks, I think Gab really loves her friends and wasn't faking that part.

          Although, what happened with episode 10? OVA then?
          There are two OVA episodes coming out. The first one is a hot springs episode, while it has yet to be determined what the second one will be about.
          MyAnimeList | Avatar: Lecia Ivyred, The Rising of the Shield Hero
          Watching: Kyo Kara Maoh, Pokemon Sun and Moon, Toonami Stuff
          Simulcasts: FTL, DRO, CQK, RSH, AOT, BSD, FRB, OPM, KYB, FGN, SKS, MLA, SMT, HBS, KOT, MIX, WNL, KMA, FIL, IDM, ISQ, SRG, STW
          The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

          Comment


          • #65
            Re: Gabriel DropOut Discussion Thread

            Gab's little sister moe was pretty spectacular. And as it turns out, even Vigne isn't okay with her reverting back to being the ideal angel. She's a damn good actress, especially for the latter part, but it takes more than that to fool Zelel than that. Apparently just mentioning friends at all is enough, which means Zelel must value those relationships above all else, and while it was the weakest of Gab's acts and she had already lied to her sister multiple times, there is some definite truth to her claim. Satania is a lovely footrest, after all.

            A fun show. Nothing spectacular, but worth a good laugh throughout.
            My Top Anime | Manga
            My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
            My FP Reviews | Twitter
            FPR Episodes | iTunes

            Comment


            • #66
              Re: Episode 12 (Finale)

              Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
              She has seen the light again.

              Nothing ever gets past Zelel as she has clairvoyance and is fully aware of everything Gab has been up to. So it's back to heaven to be rehabbed and she's back to being the person she was when she first arrived, but her friends aren't exactly pleased. So instead Zelel decides to live with Gab so that she won't be distracted by online games, and then comes the dog to chase her away. That was pretty funny to see Gab's attempt to BS the situation, as well as Zelel's reaction to Satania's dog seeing that she's not exactly as almighty as she thinks she is. And it's back to life as usual, but first there's the final exams. That's a solid way to end this show with Gab conquering her sister by sheer luck.

              Overall, this is a show that's all about the comedy, and it is great. The characters are a fun bunch, the jokes hit the spot, and everything that goes on is amusing and never do I get tired of it. While this show doesn't need much of a story, the way the plot is constructed leaves much to be desired as there are a lot of gaps in the story with the most notable one being after episode 10 when the episode ended with Satania trying to break into heaven, but episode 11 begins when the school term resumes. So pretty much, this show excels in comedy and is weak in storytelling in a show where that is not a crucial element.

              MAL Rating: ********--
              Pretty much all of that. I think everyone's comments have been largely dead on. This was a fun series, though a few untied ends did hurt it. For instance, the Tenma we meet at the start was a complete novice to MMOs and PC gaming, yet she gets sucked in because her laptop has an MMO game running where she hears someone calling for help. Smacks of someone setting Gab up, but who and why? And of course, as I've previously mentioned, the setting and story shift without explanation between episodes 10 and 11.

              But despite those hiccups, this was always a slice of life show, so those flaws were of little consequence to the overall enjoyment of the show. This was a fun last episode, with Zelel being about everything expected, right to the point of seeing through all of Gab's plans, thanks to clairvoyance, which Raphi also has, and which, via excellent use of the Art of Ommission, causes Satania to get all flustered. This would easily be something that could be extended to another season, and it's nice to see we have OVAs on the way.

              Recommended.
              My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
              1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
              2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
              3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

              Comment


              • #67
                OVAs 1 + 2


                And we get more Gab-chan and friends! The first OVA has the girls going to a onsen, where Satania has something wicked for Gab planned. It was pretty funny to see Gab and Vigne think the same thing at the same time, where Raphiel has her own take on Satania's plans. Of course, Satania's plan blows up in her face with the giant slime liking the girls with boobs, where Gab doesn't have any and therefore won't attack her.

                The second OVAs takes a different tone than the show is used too, with the girls befriending a blind girl, who believes all of them are angels. Then the girl gets hit with a car, Gab saves her at great cost (not really). It was really heartening to see Satania flip out at the possible loss of her new friend and gave her some depth. It was depressing to see that the blind girl forgets all about the girls at the end (why???) giving the OVA a bittersweet ending.
                Avatar: Shimarin from Laid Back Camo.

                Comment


                • #68
                  Re: OVAs 1 + 2

                  First episode was fun fanservice antics (though Vigne's pure body must be thoroughly protected by the holiest of light :D ) But yeah, that second episode was quite the interestingly unusual tone for the series. But it's a rather sweet episode for what it is. I think of how the director and writer have done such shifts before with Kotoura-san.

                  Originally posted by Library-chan View Post
                  It was really heartening to see Satania flip out at the possible loss of her new friend and gave her some depth. It was depressing to see that the blind girl forgets all about the girls at the end (why???) giving the OVA a bittersweet ending.
                  As we saw with the dog near the end of the series, Satania is really as much a softie deep down as Vigne, despite all of her posturing about tying it to her archdemon plans. And she even goes as far as dropping that when things get critical. So cute that she doesn't want to admit to bawling her eyes out in happy tears in the end.

                  And as for forgetting, I assume that may be a part of Gab breaking the taboo.

                  Comment

                  Widgets Magazine
                  Widgets Magazine

                  Channels

                  Collapse

                  Widgets Magazine
                  Widgets Magazine
                  Working...
                  X