X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Winter 2017] Gabriel DropOut Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    ガヴリールドロップアウト

A show about an angel girl who has decided to drop out of school to play online games.

Airs: Monday, January 9

Studio: Dogakoba

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

Chief Angel has come to Earth! However, she became so used to the life on Earth that she skips school and keeps playing online games, thus into self-destruction. It's a school comedy that Gabriel turns into a lazy angel!

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Violet Evergarden of KyoAni's Violet Evergarden
    Watching: Kyo Kara Maoh, Pokemon Sun and Moon, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, FRB, KYB, FGN, MIX, FIL
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

She's faillen and she won't get up.

That was pretty funny to see these girls doing all sorts of crazy things that aren't exactly angelic for Gab and Raphiel, or demonic for Vigne and Satania. Gab has gotten addicted to online games to the point where she's just saying "Screw it!" with being an angel, Vigne is actually being more of an angel than Gab until she destroys her apartment over a cockroach, Satania throwing tantrums when small things don't go her way such as the lack of toilet paper in the bathroom, and Raphiel demanding Satania to lick her foot over some melon bread. While shows like these are dime a dozen, it still is a solid start as it is really funny.

So with the way things are shaping up, it will either be GabDrop or Onihei that I'll watch and not both seeing that I need a Monday show on my watchlist.
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

Hah, well that's quite the endorsement of MMOs: they can corrupt even the purest of angels. But Gabriel insists that her new lazy game playing self is just how she's always been deep inside. There's no returning to her previous "perfect" self (so quite unlike Umaru-chan in that regard) and is comfortable in showing what she now considers her true self to others. I wonder if we'll start the see the consequences of her "falling" in the wider angel world, particularly among all of the girls like Tapris that looked up to her so much, outside of her current little group (where the only other angel is twisted in her own way)

As it stands now, the only one trying to reign her in and set her right ironically ends up being a demon. The best part of Vigne fitting naturally into this role is that she doesn't even realize how un-demonic she's being and gets so adorably self-conscious over her righteousness being pointed out. :D And then we have Satanichia, aiming for the highest of demon heights by causing the most evil of... minor nuisances. She leaves herself wide open to becoming a plaything of a bored angel. And so Raphi awakens to a sadistic side. Is it like this for any angel? It seems the education of purity and goodness in heaven might be quite flawed, if they only build up fake selves that easily unravel in just a matter of hours in the human world. And though we seen nothing of it so far, we could wonder the opposite of hell. Fun to see how twisted around they get from the parts they're "supposed" to play.
      Last edited by EmperorBrandon; 01-09-2017, 01:13 PM.

Comment

After all of the "meh" premiers from last week, this was the one I was hoping for - hilarious, crazy, and most importantly very entertaining. At first I was afraid that Gab was going to be a carbon copy of Umaru-chan, but fortunately that's not the case. Shows like this are why Dogakoba is one of my favorite studios.

And Satanichia gets my early vote for Best Girl of 2017 .
        Currently Watching | MAL Profile
        Let's make anime great again!

Comment

So we have a bad angel, a good demon, a try hard demon and a sadistic angel. Wtf is up with these angels first of all? And why was there a game opened in her laptop for no reason? She wasn't even playing that game before that. Was that even her laptop? Lol Gabriel teleported her panties by accident and then thought of blowing the trumpet to end the world. That was too much lol. Lol Satania threw in the bottle with the cap on. So evil. And pulling someone's chair out from behind them is so evil it can get you kicked out of hell itself. And Gabriel's room was dirty as hell to the point that she was sending the roach to heaven by killing it lol. The comedy was pretty spot on consistently here.

Doga Kobo have always been inconsistent when it comes to comedy in my view. Gekkan Shojo, New Game, Love Lab were hilarious but then there was Gj Bu, Mikakunin, Sansha Sanyo, Yuru Yuri (height of inconsistent comedy). This episode was pretty hilarious which is a good start. And then there's the cuteness Doga Kobo rocks at. I think I might end staying here.
          My ReviewsMy MAL ProfileMy Anime List

Comment

Originally posted by Yamada2 View Post
            Doga Kobo have always been inconsistent when it comes to comedy in my view. Gekkan Shojo, New Game, Love Lab were hilarious but then there was Gj Bu, Mikakunin, Sansha Sanyo, Yuru Yuri (height of inconsistent comedy). This episode was pretty hilarious which is a good start. And then there's the cuteness Doga Kobo rocks at. I think I might end staying here.
            Really? I though YuruYuri was consistenty funny. So was Sansha Sanyo. But to each there own I guess .

Comment

This was actually quite funny. Even with a basic premise, a lack of plot in favor of largely standalone vignettes (Vigne-ttes if you will), and some jokes that would be likely to fall flat for me with lesser execution, the skill of the comedy works well enough for me to stick with it.
              My Top Anime | Manga
              My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
              My FP Reviews | Twitter
              FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Really cute show about angels and demons, who are not very good at being angels and demons. On the angelic side, we have Gabriel, a videogame addict and Raphiel, who loves to tease others. On the demon side, we Vigne, Gabriel's opposite and wife, and Satanchia, trying her best to be evil, but she's horrible at it.
                Avatar: Shimarin from Laid Back Camo.

Comment

Funny, I got Back to the Future vibes when Biff Tannen, 'er Raphiel, calls back Satania, essentially labeling her a chicken for not fighting. Pretty amusing series so far, and it'll be interesting to see where things go with Gabriel, who apparently wants to stay a hikikomori.

Comment

That was pretty funny. The gags are quick and they don't overstay their welcome. I look forward to more of this.
                    Avatar: Craft Lawrence from Spice and Wolf.
                    Scratchy for Tama is angry.
                    Casually Reviewing: ???

Comment

Episode 2

Here's some food for thought.

Satania continues to be so clueless, especially when it comes to food. She doesn't know how to order from a machine while thinking that thinking that kitsune and tanuki means the dish is made from those animals, and seeing that she is a demon that super-spicy dishes are no sweat for her. Then there's Satania bringing some live seafood from hell for the cooking class, and they are finding that they're not exactly easy to cook. That Satania sure has a lot to learn seeing that she's really bad at being bad, and that's pretty hilarious.

So with that, this show has locked in its spot on my watchlist seeing that it is the only Monday show that I can watch with the other not really holding my interest.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

I was wondering if we were going to see Satania go to eat in the bathroom. But, ah, it's the secluded stairway to the rooftop. I know all the loner spots well from Watamote and other anime. And Vigne is so full of sympathy for her, being such a danged good girl yet again. There's not really much hope for Vigne being demonic, that is, until the others get to really irritating her with her antics.

Gab, on the other hand, gets to taking her turn at trying to toy with Satania. These naughty angels... I think Raphiel is the only one who can really get to doing it, though, as Satania is impervious to food issues. Ignorance is bliss for her, even when they get to cooking up something that's predictably terrifying in home economics class. Speaking of the cooking scene, I like how we seet that even though Gab lazes around all the time, she's apparently quite dexterous in catching in falling objects.

Was also fun having a normal girl, this time a class rep, eavesdrop on heavenly/demonic conversation and being utterly confused over just what it's about. Gab is rather mercilessly apathetic to humanity as an angel. And of course this gets interpreted by the normal girl as being chuuni delusions.

For Raphiel, being in a different class from Satania is so hard. She wanted to revel in the cooking antics. But she does have a choice of barging into Satania's life outside of school, heh, and knows just what to say to keep Satania interested in her staying around. What to say that is, but Raphiel doesn't actually carry through in deed on being a servant. Even Satania wisens to that, but Raphiel still gets plenty of time to yank her around. Satania ends up getting what Raphi wants while still coming empty handed with her own melon bread. I think the dog is even worse than Raphiel. It's never going to let poor Satania have her melon bread. Liked how earlier Vigne joked at how the dog had gotten there when they were in the school.

Comment

Lol Gabriel is complaining that there are too many humans here. It's the human world. What did you expect? Poora Satania eats her lunch alone. I tend to feel sorry for loner characters like her, but this all her fault. I mean, who would want to be with a girl who thinks everyone is a lesser being and acts like the most evil thing out there? Lol Gabriel was tricking Satania by having her put in a whole lot of spice in her udon. The plan backfired big time because Satania has got broken taste buds. Lol the cooking class. Satania brought a fish straight out of hell. "Prepare to meet your maker, fish" lol. You fighting the fish or something? Satania is the best character here lol. Lol when Vignette and Gabriel were talking about the survey form. Preferences of single males lol. Important stuff. And Gabriel wanted to blow the trumpet to end the world lol. Raphiel is one hell of a sadist lol. She became Satania's apprentice but didn't want to do anything lol. Some apprentice she is. Loving the comedy here.
                          My ReviewsMy MAL ProfileMy Anime List

Comment

Every angel loves to torture Satania. Of course, she doesn't realize it in any situation, and in Gabriel's case she's not even affected. Raphiel is still a master troll who knows how to entertain herself well.
                            My Top Anime | Manga
                            My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                            My FP Reviews | Twitter
                            FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Ah, poor Vigne. Paired off with those two buffoons in cooking class . I value her patience in dealing with Gab and Satanya.

Raphiel is turning into another great KanaHana character. Definitely enjoying her scenes and her budding relationship with Satanya.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X