Studio: Trigger

Original movie discussion

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Netflix

Fandom Post News & Reviews

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    Last edited by EmperorBrandon; 03-29-2017, 08:26 PM.

Episode 1

Shiny Chariot is so danged cool and awesome. It's easy for me to see how Akko got so enamored with her.

As someone who originally saw this with the movies, it's nice that we get to start at the beginning of Akko coming to school and getting to meet the girls who will be her friends. Funny that the first person she runs into is Sucy and that of course doesn't really go that nicely. And Lotte... she's such a sweetheart, even if she felt a little bit reluctant to get involved. Little did she know... Heh, but Sucy seems to know right away: "You are the very definition of trouble." Might be an understatement. Only the first episode and it seems like she's already gotten those two into a whole world of trouble with her and will only continue to do so. :D But Lotte gets a good dose of how kind and courageous Akko too, and even the somewhat sketchy Sucy (using them as disposable bait for her magical item gathering. Hehe) comes around to offering them a broom after seeing that.

Feels right to start off the Year of the Chicken with a danged gigantic monstrous one. I loved the way it first appeared. There's so many fun visual gags with the LWA franchise.

Lots of familiar faces from the movies when they finally make it to the academy. I am curious to see what more we'll get of some characters with a lot more time to spend with them in a TV series.

Comment

Re: Episode 1

Well this was pretty darn good. I really felt sorry for Akko there. Those girls were so mean to her. Then Sucy was nekoing evil. And Akko with her sad face almost made me cry... Making a cute girl like that sad...

The part about the magic staff was pretty different here as compared to the OVA, the part where Akko finds it.

The visuals were overall quite good. The Chariot part in particular. The ending sequence was also good looking and the ED song was nice too.

Akko will have to put in way more effort than the others here given her "muggle" background. She will also be the target of everyone else's meanness since she'll be considered lower than the other thoroughbred witches. There will be quite a lot of mean arrogant girls here looking down on poor Akko. I feel sorry for her already.
      My ReviewsMy MAL ProfileMy Anime List

Comment

Wow, I didn't expect the great Sucy to be such a jerk. She'll warm up to Akko and Lotte soon enough.
        Avatar: Shimarin from Laid Back Camo.

Comment

Originally posted by Library-chan View Post
          Wow, I didn't expect the great Sucy to be such a jerk. She'll warm up to Akko and Lotte soon enough.
          Sucy is hilarious.

Kinda still pissed about the KS for the 2nd movie, but knew where the money was eventually going. Hopefully the series finishes off stronger, and at least as good as the original movie.

Comment

Episode 2

Akko hasn't let up on her enthusiasm over having attained the Shiny Rod. I love how Sucy makes note of how she's talked about it over 100 times already. Though of course it's not making her as much of an immiediate omnipotent magic user as she thinks it's going to do. She has to put her heart into it.

It's interesting how Sucy is not really here for schooling at all. It's all about the rare creepy collectibles for her. And when we get to the classes, it's easy to see which one she's most interested. Love how she starts inhaling. :D

Feels like there's some callbacks to the first movie here in how the class sequences go with Diana, and Diana's confrontation with Akko over Shiny Chariot. I love how one of the teachers' names is "Badcock"...

I kept wondering what was going to happen with Sucy's prank as Akko kept on without noticing it at all. Never would have expected what they were going to do with it: part of Diana's rather frightening exhibition of power to Akko.

Little card collector Akko was so danged adorable. I do wonder when the issue of the limited card she couldn't get will come up. But the knowledge she's gleaned from that youthful obsession actually turns out quite useful, and ends up understanding the crisis with the tree better than Diana. Like how we are already getting to see a bit of a softer side to Diana. She's very concerned about Akko after she jumps in front of her magic, and gets to see what Akko can do with the appearance of acknowledgement (even if she doesn't talk to the teachers forcefully about it: they're probably going to be kept in the dark about Akko's potential for a little while longer).

I really like the illustration style for the ED sequence.
            Last edited by EmperorBrandon; 01-15-2017, 11:18 PM.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

Originally posted by EmperorBrandon View Post
              It's interesting how Sucy is not really here for schooling at all. It's all about the rare creepy collectibles for her. And when we get to the classes, it's easy to see which one she's most interested. Love how she starts inhaling. :D
              Yeah, that was pretty hilarious, especially when everyone else was trying to avoid it. Funny how Lotte remains studious in every class, taking notes, but eventually becomes bored and sleepy right when Sucy drops the prank on Akko.
              I kept wondering what was going to happen with Sucy's prank as Akko kept on without noticing it at all. Never would have expected what they were going to do with it: part of Diana's rather frightening exhibition of power to Akko.
              yeah, pretty fun seeing how the prank was actually carried into that whole Diana sequence. I thought it wasn't going to go beyond the classroom scene, but I'm surprised no one actually commented on it before it was removed.

Little card collector Akko was so danged adorable. I do wonder when the issue of the limited card she couldn't get will come up. But the knowledge she's gleaned from that youthful obsession actually turns out quite useful, and ends up understanding the crisis with the tree better than Diana.
              Interesting too, because apparently nobody knew about it (aside from Akko with her cards) and since it only happens every 120 years, it must've been coincidence that Diana happened to trigger the event. Seems like it's one of those superfluous things that their studies don't focus too much on considering Akko was the only one really in the know, not to mention that knowledge gained from a trading card game for that matter.

Like how we are already getting to see a bit of a softer side to Diana. She's very concerned about Akko after she jumps in front of her magic, and gets to see what Akko can do with the appearance of acknowledgement (even if she doesn't talk to the teachers forcefully about it: they're probably going to be kept in the dark about Akko's potential for a little while longer).
              It'll be interesting to see how Diana will interact with Akko around as well, or more amusingly, what her lackeys will think of her if she starts showing respect toward Akko.

Comment

Originally posted by Sensuifu View Post
                what her lackeys will think of her if she starts showing respect toward Akko.
                Yeah, I would be curious to see that too.

Comment

I like Diana. She isn't a haughty girl who looks down on everyone and thinks she's the best. She's a nice girl. It's just that those two girls by her side give the impression that Diana is an arrogant girl. She should stop those two from praising every single thing she does.

Ursula either has some link with Shiny Chariot, or she's a big fan of hers, or she has a muggle background. She most likely has a reason to want to help out Akko other than just wanting to help her because of her background.

Akko's card collecting was of use here as she figured out that the parasite looking thing isn't something bad but is the super rare magical butterfly. And these magical butterflies look like glowing naked girls with wings...

Comment

Episode 3

So now we officially have Ursula as Akko's mentor. Really quite interested in what we get to find out about her past, and if Akko will eventually get to herself.

We're getting to broom training, and even a big broom riding relay race. Akko of course continues to be hopeless in that regard, but still optimistically aims even to win the race because she really wants to be up on the wall with Chariot. And there's much antics over her varying attempts to get herself to fly. I like Sucy turns around real quickly on her lack of interest as soon as the prize from the occult teacher comes up, though Sucy's newfound enthusiasm is a double-edged sword as she has a really harsh training regimen.

Happy to see Amanda and co. get a prominent part for the first time. I like Amanda's wild, tomboyish self, looking forward to showing off her awesomeness by taking that sealed broom and taming it. Though that thing was so crazy I knew it wasn't going to work out well for her. Fits that it eventually goes to Akko, so the only broom Akko can actually fly on is the broom that's already determined to fly away with absolutely no one on it.

Ah, and we have a newspaper club. I like the unique look (as with many characters in the series) of the president who's announcing for the race. I love the jab she gets in at Constanze's name, and that's not even her complete name. :D And Sucy playing dirty in a number of ways is a lot of fun too.

Akko is not able to pull off an upset, though it is interesting to see how Diana and Ursula feel about her coming so close in their conversation afterwards.

Comment

Re: Episode 3

Hah, some of the hijinks and gags seem to come straight out of western cartoons, including the sound effects. Really liking the seiyuu performance of Akko in this series. Her enthusiasm and delivery really matches the spunkiness of Akko's character, which kind of felt a bit restrained in the OVA/movie. Practice makes perfect though, so it's nice to hear a more lively and convincing Akko.

Sucy is still awesome as ever; loved her tactical cheats in helping the team. Pretty hilarious seeing Lotte almost always trying to make space when the hyperactive Akko gets into her face. Would've been brilliant if it was a 'say it not spray it' reaction, which I'm pretty sure Trigger could animate in spades.

Comment

Re: Episode 3

Akko is running on pure luck, both good and bad luck. She can't fly a broom but wants to take part in the broom relay race anyway and have her picture next to Chariot's. Really not liking those two Diana lackeys and that's the point with them.

Akko is the kind of character I really want to root for. She's so cute and so determined in many ways that she's willing to grab onto the wild metal broom too because it's a chance to fly. She put herself through Sucy's uselessly harsh training too to try and fly, though that kinda makes her a bit too gullible but I don't mind that much. But I really like her character as whole and I really want to see her become the kind of witch she wants to.

Ursula interests me since she's so supportive of Akko and she seems to know something about the rod. She isn't Chariot herself though, because that would be too much. Was/is she her friend? Or is she also a big fan of Chariot?

Pretty good episode overall. Liked those Trigger visuals. Neat stuff.

Comment

Episode 4

Poor Lotte. After she's so excited for the big event, her companions gets into their usual mischief and she crushed to pieces over having to miss out on it as punishment. Of course when Akko finds out what's up, then they sneak out together as I expected. Lotte is the most wonderfully enthusiastic fangirl of "night fall" (title and some of the main plot points seeming to be a Twilight parody). The series sounds like a sprawling mess covering every genre (love some of the parodies in there when she's explaining it like the Gendou pose signaling "conspiracy) and weird twist imaginable, for as much as she can talk about over the course of the entire episode. But I can't help but love her sincere appreciation. She had such a heartwarming story about how she got into it in the first place.

I like that we get a bit more, even if a small bit, of Diana's lackeys Hannah and Barbara on their own. Barbara was pretty cute in trying to keep hide her interest from Hannah who thought the whole thing was stupid.

Ah, and this was a setup by Annabel herself, or the most recent "Annabel" (Annabel the Twelfth...), to give up writing the story she was constantly flamed over and hand it off to someone else completely unannounced. But I'm not surprised Lotte didn't want to write it herself. It suits her character to see how her form of admiration differs from Akko's for Shiny Chariot, but it's sweet all the same. Nice to see her get Annabel back on her feet. Oh, though I like how Lotte hid one of her reasons until near the end... writing it herself means she's going to be SPOILED! Haha. Can't have that. Must be in suspense for the next volume! (of which there are going to be more than there are days of the year)

Comment

Re: Episode 4

Originally posted by EmperorBrandon View Post
                            Poor Lotte. After she's so excited for the big event, her companions gets into their usual mischief and she crushed to pieces over having to miss out on it as punishment. Of course when Akko finds out what's up, then they sneak out together as I expected. Lotte is the most wonderfully enthusiastic fangirl of "night fall" (title and some of the main plot points seeming to be a Twilight parody). The series sounds like a sprawling mess covering every genre (love some of the parodies in there when she's explaining it like the Gendou pose signaling "conspiracy) and weird twist imaginable, for as much as she can talk about over the course of the entire episode. But I can't help but love her sincere appreciation. She had such a heartwarming story about how she got into it in the first place.
                            Hah, what a coincidence...just reminds me of all the recent talk in the Akiba Strip thread. :D But yeah, I got a good laugh at all those various plotlines and arcs.

I like that we get a bit more, even if a small bit, of Diana's lackeys Hannah and Barbara on their own. Barbara was pretty cute in trying to keep hide her interest from Hannah who thought the whole thing was stupid.
                            Ok, now I'm for sure certain the creators are fans of Hanna Barbera. I could be forgetting if there were previous references in the OVA/movie (or if I already mentioned it back then), but just recently they used familiar gags and sound clips straight from those types of cartoons; and now seeing the lackeys names right next to each other, couldn't just be coincidence.

Oh, though I like how Lotte hid one of her reasons until near the end... writing it herself means she's going to be SPOILED! Haha. Can't have that. Must be in suspense for the next volume! (of which there are going to be more than there are days of the year)
                            that was a pretty hilarious, though smart reason. I guess she's the type that shares the same belief of some actors not wanting or having never seen any movies they were featured in; or people who don't consume the dishes they've prepared. Reasons for reasons

Loved how Lotte gets back in Akko's face (Too close!) though; and that chain reaction with poor Sucy get bumped was adorable. :D

Comment

Re: Episode 4

Hah, what a coincidence...just reminds me of all the recent talk in the Akiba Strip thread. :D But yeah, I got a good laugh at all those various plotlines and arcs.
                              Lotte, though, is the purest and sweetest of hardcore fans. She doesn't put people down who aren't on "her level" and happy about anyone who enjoys her beloved night fall.

Ok, now I'm for sure certain the creators are fans of Hanna Barbera. I could be forgetting if there were previous references in the OVA/movie (or if I already mentioned it back then), but just recently they used familiar gags and sound clips straight from those types of cartoons; and now seeing the lackeys names right next to each other, couldn't just be coincidence.
                              Oh, I've been aware of the connection there ever since I noticed their names in the original movie (though it doesn't seem I got to mentioning it there, bctaris did). In the first episode, they had a companion named エイブリー (Eiburii) who I think may also be an American animator reference (Tex Avery).

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X