X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Winter 2017] Blue Exorcist: Kyoto Saga Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    青の祓魔師 京都不浄王篇

The sequel to Blue Exorcist as the scene shifts to Kyoto for the next battle.

Airs: Friday, Jan. 6

Studio: A-1 Pictures

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

Assiah, the realm of humans, and Gehenna, the realm of demons. Normally, these two dimensions would never intersect, but having possessed all material substances, the demons are now intruding on the material world. But among the human race, there are those who can exorcise such demons—the exorcists.

Rin Okumura kept the fact that he was Satan's offspring a secret from everyone and decided to become an exorcist. He began his training at True Cross Academy but following the incidents involving Amaimon's raid, his lineage became apparent. Fearing his true nature and the blue flames marking his connection to Gehenna, Rin's classmates all distanced themselves from him. Meanwhile, the academy was on high alert when they realized that the “Left Eye of the Impure King” had been stolen! What lies ahead for Rin and his classmates?”

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Nene Yoshiro, Toilet-bound Hanako-kun
    Watching: Luck & Logic, Soul Link, Happiness, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FGO, MHA, MJN, CHF, HIQ, TOA-R, ISQ, YUC, YKN, IIV, EIZ, SET, IBG, SML, OBD, JSH, RKO, SRW, PMM, INS
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Keep an eye out on Kyoto.

This show didn't waste any time getting back to being what Blue Exorcists is all about as the Impure King's left eye is stolen and a miasma outbreak has True Cross in a panic. The action is great while things are nicely set up for something really big to go down as everybody heads over to Kyoto. It's great to be back after such a long time away from this show, as well as being back to something that follows the manga after the first season ended with fillers that left me feeling so underwhelmed.
    Simulcasts: FGO, MHA, MJN, CHF, HIQ, TOA-R, ISQ, YUC, YKN, IIV, EIZ, SET, IBG, SML, OBD, JSH, RKO, SRW, PMM, INS
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

It's always a little awkward when a sequel starts partway through the previous series, but it's good to have the series back and on track. It looks lovely.
      My Top Anime | Manga
      My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
      My FP Reviews | Twitter
      FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 2

It's his homecoming.

Bon and Konekomaru are back home in Kyoto, and Bon's background story is told here as he was a prodigy in the making. The part with Rin and Shima is pretty amusing, especially the part where Rin tells Shima that he's off the charts at the bottom. Anyway, that was a nice way to set things up for some big things to go down as the guy who stole the left eye has made his appearance and is ready to strike. There's a traitor among the exorcists, so it will be interesting to see who it is.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

After having heard so much about the backstory of Bon and the others, it is really nice to finally jump right into that as soon as this season begins. Shima's dad is kind of an asshole to his son, but at least the relationships with Rin are starting to repair, even if aided by accidental underage drinking. Very curious to see where this plot is going. It sure is nice to be back to the real story compared to that anime-original ending of the first season.
          My Top Anime | Manga
          My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
          My FP Reviews | Twitter
          FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 3

Whodunnit?

Now that everybody is aware that there is a traitor on the loose that everybody is now on high alert. Suspicion falls on Bon's father, and there's something about Mamushi that just doesn't add up as there's something not quite right. It will be interesting to find out the truth, but nevertheless this was all just buildup for the big battle ahead. Shiema is still unsure as ever while Rin is hard at work with that candle exercise as he mastered it in the filler arc IIRC, but he still learning it at this point in the canon material.

Comment

Re: Episode 3

Everyone's a suspect, hurling accusations at each other. If the preview is to be trusted, it likely won't remain a mystery for much longer. The question is whether or not all parties but one are completely innocent. At any rate, Bon and maybe others will learn the shocking truth, and things are on the verge of exploding once the revelations are out in the open and potential silencing is in order.

In the meantime, Rin works on mending more of his friendships. Bon is naturally the final boss of that trio, with the relatively easy-go-lucky Shima already treating him just like they did in the old days and trying to convince Konekomaru to do the same. Rin makes some more progress on the latter, although he certainly isn't fully won over just yet. There's also a bit of time spent with the girls, with Kamiki trying to help Shiemi out.
              My Top Anime | Manga
              My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
              My FP Reviews | Twitter
              FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 4

It takes a traitor to defeat a traitor.

It was strongly hinted that Mamushi is the traitor, and indeed that's who it ends up being as she is working with Todo to revive the Impure King. But in all actuality, Tatsuma is the one who let all this happen as he wouldn't even tell Bon the whole story about what's happening. Mamushi's motivation is to take down the traitors Tatsuma and Mephisto for keeping Satan's spawn for themselves, so Rin being alive was what led to all this. Rin really lost his cool there, but luckily he was stopped before became an enemy of the exorcists. That was quite a thrilling episode there all going to show that there's a lot of secrets being kept that led to all this happening.

Comment

Re: Episode 4

That was as eventful as the preview implied. We still don't have the full story, but it certainly appears that Todo is the one to watch out for the most at this point. And of course, Rin totally loses it. Not so smart, kid.
                  My Top Anime | Manga
                  My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                  My FP Reviews | Twitter
                  FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 5

Live by the sword, unless it's stolen.

And now the reason why Tatsuma won't let out all the secrets to Bon is explained as it turns out that Fujimoto stole Myoda's object of worship, the kome sword, from Tatsuma, which would then make Rin an enemy of Bon and lead to all sorts of ugly fighting. While Tatsuma is a shady guy, at least it was all because of his wife Torako falling ill to the miasma produced by those eyes. In any case, there was a lot of tension that was waiting to erupt, and after something like this everything is soon to swell up like crazy. Next time, Todo is going to backstab Mamushi to the eye for himself and unleash the terror of the Impure King.

Comment

Re: Episode 5

Haha, now this is a flashback I want to see. A bold-ass Shiro busting into this super serious and depressing Myoda Sect to steal their main object of worship. That guy was a class act. I get the feeling I'm going to appreciate him a lot more after this.

Looks like Mamushi will be learning the truth soon. Todo really does make it too obvious for her to still believe in him.
                      My Top Anime | Manga
                      My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                      My FP Reviews | Twitter
                      FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 6

What lies beneath.

It turns out that Tatsuma and Shiro are actually on great terms as there's more to that story as Shiro helped cure everybody of the miasma, and it got Tatsuma to think outside the box to do what's right as opposed to his father who was all about keeping everything a secret. As it turns out, the Impure King was sealed away underground, and Todo revived him in order to steal Karura for himself as he knew that Tatsuma would form a pact and use a spell to contain him leaving him wide open for Todo. Things sure have gotten bad, but at the very least it Tatsuma's heart was in the right place even if it went against the Myoda Sect's rules. Next time, things are really looking bad for Rin as he is the only hope to defeating the Impure King and a death sentence is coming.

Comment

Re: Episode 6

Damn, Todo fucked shit up real bad all in the remainder of this episode after that flashback. Bon's papa was a good guy. And things are not looking great for Rin, either.
                          My Top Anime | Manga
                          My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                          My FP Reviews | Twitter
                          FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 7

Kindness is the best weapon.

Things have gotten really bad with the Impure King on the loose and their only hope of defeating it has been sentenced to death by the Vatican. But Shura's gamble pays off as all it took was some kindness from Shiemi and Rin was able to break out of that inescapable prison where anybody with hostile intent was frozen in their tracks. That was a great way to get through this problem, so now with Rin back it's time to take down the Impure King and Todo after that.

Comment

Re: Episode 7

Things are getting a little too serious here, so it's time for Mephisto to show up and inject the situation with his signature weirdness. And now the team is ready to go!
                              My Top Anime | Manga
                              My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                              My FP Reviews | Twitter
                              FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...