X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Winter 2017] Schoolgirl Strikers Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    スクールガールストライカーズ Animation Channel

A show about high school girls who happen to attend what appears to be a normal private academy that's actually a secret base for a fighting force that is tasked with defeating alien invaders.

Airs: Friday, Jan. 6

Studio: J.C. Staff

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

The newly established private high school for girls, Goryoukan Academy, has a hidden face that people on the outside don't know about...

Mysterious apparitions called "Oburi" have appeared from a rift in space-time. The only ones capable of fighting this enemy of mankind are girls known as "Strikers," who have the ability to sense the fifth dimension. Goryoukan Academy is actually an organization that seeks out girls who are more than meets the eye and trains them up for the "Fifth Force," a combat force created to subjugate the Oburi. The story of the battles and friendships of five girls who comprise the newly assembled team "Altair Torte" is about to begin!

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Haru, My Roommate is a Cat
    Watching: And Yet the Town Moves, Super Sonico, Hayate the Combat Butler season 2, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, TOA-I, TSL, SAO, KTF, CQK, KMF, DAL, TSH, PNL, More TBD
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

This is no ordinary school.

That was a pretty generic girls kicking ass type of show with the way this show started. The action looked great, especially the part where Coconut Vega came in to defeat that O'bli monster at the end, but there just isn't much in the way of a story as it just introduced the main characters, gave a crash course about the school, and then action with the main unit having a tough time against the enemy. I'll give it another episode to see if the story gets better or not. At least some of the characters look interesting, but seeing that my expectations weren't high on this show that I'm not getting into this show just yet.
    Watching: And Yet the Town Moves, Super Sonico, Hayate the Combat Butler season 2, Toonami Stuff
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Episode 1

As I was watching this, I thought to myself "I bet this is based on a mobile game," and lo and behold it is. It reminds me very strongly of Ange Vierge, except that the characters weren't as interesting. I didn't dislike it, though. It's just really paint-by-numbers, which is sometimes fun and sometimes falls to the bottom of the pile. This has the feeling of one of those bubble shows that I won't keep watching if more things I like premiere. I did enjoy Yuuki trying to get something mysterious going at the school (and, her being a bit of a chuuni being openly delighted during her transformation sequence, which is especially endearing when you consider this is not new for her. I think the fact that her team hasn't seen much action might play a role in her enthusiasm. And I did laugh at the moe-Roomba.

Comment

Re: Episode 1

It's amazing that this show can't manage to do anything interesting with the characters as cute high school girls or with the action plot. It's all completely formulaic at best, sometimes actually seeming to try to be as dull as possible. Just add in some silly quirks and it's all good, right? Yeah, not at all.
        My Top Anime | Manga
        My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
        My FP Reviews | Twitter
        FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

This one really didn't inspire much interest in seeing more, on a day of the week when I'll probably have several other things to watch. It was a bit of a snooze fest of cute faces and cute voices.

Comment

Well, that was bland.
            Avatar: Shimarin from Laid Back Camo.

Comment

Originally posted by Library-chan View Post
              Well, that was bland.
              Everyone kept nailing this with descriptions, and then this was the cherry on top. Yes, there are paint by number shows that I've seen people complain of, but this is makes many of those shows seem like Renoir masterpieces in comparison. No real connection to any of these characters, or the weird Roomba/loli/mascot/whateverdafuqthatthingis. Visually this was impressive, but this show was boring, but did prove something worth knowing: The skimpier the outfit, the more powerful the magical/fighting girls are. This will likely be on the early drop list, and not so I can marathon it in a day or two.
              My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
              1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
              2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
              3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

Pretty boring stuff. Felt like the return of Ange Vierge. What was up with those outfits though? One group was in maid uniforms and one was in bikinis. Why? There's probably some reason behind it and I'm not that curious to find out. There was a general use of dull colors which is there if a story will get dark later on. But I don't see that happening here. The animation had probably a couple of nice moments, but overall was pretty average.
                This episode didn't leave a good enough impression. Too boring to continue.
                My ReviewsMy MAL ProfileMy Anime List

Comment

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Oh outfits.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Oh same voice as another character that made me drop a shop.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Oh wearing less increases your stats.

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Sorry, having trouble staying awake while watching this.
                  "So be it you have control of the world, but I will rule the universe! The power of Sword and Axe!"
                  Avatar: Tatyana of Romancing SaGa 3

Comment

Episode 2

Off to training.

The girls realize that they have lots of training they need to do, so that's exactly what happens and they are able to manifest a power they never had previously as their low aptitude made them unable to use weapons from another dimension. And they finally were able to defeat some of those O'bli that they couldn't handle previously. Well, that was really bland and boring, and it's a shame because at least the artwork looks cool. Nevertheless, I had enough of this as I slept through most of this episode. At least the ending is a nice parting shot with the girls in an 8-bit RPG environment, but in any case this show is nothing but a big snoozefest, so to the drop pile it goes.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                    Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                    Widgets Magazine
                    Working...
                    X