X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Winter 2017] Masamune-kun's Revenge Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    政宗くんのリベンジ

A show about a guy plotting to get revenge against a cute girl who once bullied him as a chubby little boy by falling in love and breaking her heart at the right moment, but he's second-guessing that decision.

Airs: Thursday, Jan. 5

Studio: Silver Link

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll / Funimation

As a child, Masamune Makabe once suffered greatly at the hands of a wealthy and beautiful girl named Aki Adagaki, who nicknamed him "Piggy" due to his chubby appearance. Seeking revenge against his tormentor, Masamune works hard to improve himself and returns as an incredibly handsome, albeit narcissistic, high school student. When he encounters Aki once again, he is prepared to exact vengeance.

With the aid of the rich girl's maid, Yoshino Koiwai, Masamune slowly begins to build his relationship with Aki, intending to break her heart when the time is right. However, as his friendship with Aki begins to grow, Masamune starts to question the objectives of his devious plans, and if bringing them to fruition is what his heart truly desires.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Kizuna Kazayama, The Rising of the Shield Hero
    Watching: Love Live!, Buddy Complex, Blue Period, Wonder Egg Priority
    Simulcasts: HZG, DAL, MMZ, KGS, KCC, LGH, RSH, RKO, SHE, TNB, SXF, KKD, KGN, YKN, AAS, DEA, ESL, SJC, PPK, MJS, AHA, WOM
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Revenge is a dish best served with low calories.

Aki sure does fit her nickname of being the Cruel Princess there giving every boy who approaches her embarrassing nicknames, and it's no wonder why Masamune won't put up with this and get his revenge by giving her the ultimate experience in heartbreak. So far, he is off to a great start at that by protecting her hair from the Pudding Prince. Anyway, this show is off to a solid start here as I certainly am intrigued with the way this show will go, and all of those jokes about Masamune resisting the temptation of eating those high calorie stuff is pretty funny. Aki sure does come across as being a such a bully, but if there's anybody who can soften her heart, it would be Masamune seeing that he worked so hard to shed his chubby image to put his plan into action. And I'm expecting to see Kojuurou to go into trap mode several times as Masamune's best friend is easily mistaken for a girl. Anyway, I'll keep on watching for the time being before deciding what to do with this.
    Simulcasts: HZG, DAL, MMZ, KGS, KCC, LGH, RSH, RKO, SHE, TNB, SXF, KKD, KGN, YKN, AAS, DEA, ESL, SJC, PPK, MJS, AHA, WOM
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

Heh, starting off with some Kanie-tier narcissism. At least his sister is there to call it out. And his mom is a loli who makes things hard for his food temptations. I wonder if that was part of the reason he was fat, though it seems like he's been apart from his mom and sister for a while (am curious to hear more specifics on what happened with his family situation in the past).

Trap seems nice. He makes me think of Saika. Iinchou seemed like she was shipping them in her head already. I do wonder what role we'll see those two play going forward. Iinchou seems like she may be one of the major girls.

Adagaki sure is harsh. She has a complex over stuffing her face, but that's not really much reason to show her sympathy. Though I figure we might end up getting something eventually. I wonder what twists and turns there will be as Masamune's plans at getting back at her get underway. There is much emphasis on Adagaki's rejection of guys, but she doesn't seem that nice to her closest girl lackey Yoshino either, the only one she will show her embarrassing side to. I would be concerned about her with that Swim Swim-esque demeanor and voice. Wonder if the letter may be from her. Curious what we'll get of that regardless.

Comment

Okay start I guess. By the looks of things, I might end up disliking Aki quite a lot. The way she treats those who confess to her, Tanabe's reaction was bound to happen sooner or later. Even though she has such a unlikable character, she roasts those who confess to her, why do guys still go after her? Why was that guy telling Makabe not to get full of himself? He should feel sorry for Makabe instead. I'll never understand this thing.

Makabe's sister was cute. And what was up with his mother? Lol. She didn't look like a mother lol.

The visuals were great. Love those Silver Link colors.

Okay stuff. I'll give it another episode or two, assuming next Thursday doesn't get filled with better stuff.
        My ReviewsMy MAL ProfileMy Anime List

Comment

I like this one. Characters are generally bad people so far, but in a likable way, and I think the comedy works quite well. Looking forward to seeing where it goes.
          My Top Anime | Manga
          My Collection 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
          My FP Reviews | Twitter
          Fandom Post Radio

Comment

The plot is a repeat from somewhere else but…the execution was pretty solid and it was entertaining, so I'm going to stick with this one for a while.

Originally posted by EmperorBrandon View Post
            Trap seems nice. He makes me think of Saika. Iinchou seemed like she was shipping them in her head already.
            I got the same kind of feeling, though the character hasn't been confirmed as a trap yet, yes? (Though if that is the case, it will not take much if anything to convince me).
            Avatar: Hinagiku Katsura from Hayate the Combat Butler.
            Scratchy for Tama is angry.
            I'm a little tired now...I want soda.
            Casual

Comment

So, we have a little sister who lounges around the house in a tank top and shorts eating junk food, a loli mother, a linchou who is not a bitch, an otoko no ko, a really, really unlikable girl who should be taught a lesson, and a quiet girl who follows her around for some reason. I have a feeling I know where this is going though.
              Avatar: Shimarin from Laid Back Camo.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitsugi Amachi View Post
                I got the same kind of feeling, though the character hasn't been confirmed as a trap yet, yes? (Though if that is the case, it will not take much if anything to convince me).
                I did wonder that as well, as besides Saika I also got reminded of a different androgynous romcom "male friend" who I'm pretty sure was actually a girl. I'm leaning towards thinking this is a guy as is initially presented, though. Wouldn't want to disappoint the in-show shippers. :D

Comment

Oh, a reversal of another show that follows a familiar premise. Nothing new, but it was off to a decent start, and mildly entertaining enough for me to continue. Can't remember when the last time I've seen hypoglycemia (or what I'd suspect is really diabetes) to be a characteristic for a character that is commonly distinguished by the anemic trope; so that's sort of different.

And I might be overthinking things a bit...but it seemed like there was a lot of focus on the dietary/fitness concerns... an imouto who's seemingly a glutton, but doesn't have the stereotypical physique of one; a mom who cooks high caloric foods; an ojousama who's apparently symptomatic like a diabetic, also eats big yet doesn't show it either; Haruyuki lookalike aka 'pig's foot' who's a gym rat, with targeted weight loss; a lackey that suffers from starvation; a trap that enjoys a cupcake.... it's all centered around food despite not being about food. :D Throw in some foodgasms, and then it's complete. What's this show about again?

Comment

Originally posted by EmperorBrandon View Post
                    Originally posted by Hitsugi Amachi View Post
                    I did wonder that as well, as besides Saika I also got reminded of a different androgynous romcom "male friend" who I'm pretty sure was actually a girl. I'm leaning towards thinking this is a guy as is initially presented, though. Wouldn't want to disappoint the in-show shippers. :D
                    I sure hope he's a guy! He's adorable (though not as much as Saika).

This is another show where I'm hanging on to see where it goes. Masamune is kind of... off-putting, but hopefully there's a character arc here, and I'm definitely curious about some of the others. Why is Aki the way she is? What's up with Yoshino? Where was Masamune living? (With his dad? They just kind of throw out him being the son of a rich man, but no dad is seen in the home scenes and it appears to be a modest suburban house so maybe there's something going on there?)

Also, yeah, this show is totally fixated on food, even beyond Little Miss Type 1.

Comment

When you want the female lead to be sealed into limbo and spend eternity by herself and want the male lead dunked in holy water so he'll scream and hopefully burn to dust, that's probably a good sign to drop a series.

Yeah, I was worried this would be bad when I read the premise, but when I actually watched the episode I was wrong. Why? Because it was even worse than that. I suppose for people who don't dislike the two leads, the show is awesome, but for me, they ruin it already.

Comment

Originally posted by Sensuifu View Post
                        Oh, a reversal of another show that follows a familiar premise. Nothing new, but it was off to a decent start, and mildly entertaining enough for me to continue. Can't remember when the last time I've seen hypoglycemia (or what I'd suspect is really diabetes) to be a characteristic for a character that is commonly distinguished by the anemic trope; so that's sort of different.
                        Or hypermetabolism. Someone hypoglycemic wouldn't be simply eating a lot every day--it's not a permanent state; and Yoshino would more likely be getting her juice, anyway. Any case, she didn't seem certain what her deal is, even suggesting being tested for a parasite, aka, tapeworm or the like(!).

Now, if she was shown going to the bathroom a lot... (Hmm, Japan has one of the lowest rates of Type 1 diabetes, by the way. What anime makes me look up on Google.)

Yeah, the eating theme of this story is peculiar. Michiko Yokote's running the writing on this one, so that explains intriguing characters in a run-of-the-mill plot. Worth a shot. Like others, have to see what's up with Yoshino.

And what food has to do with it all.
                        Avatar: Tsumugi, Sweetness & Lightning
                        TFP Forum Rules

Comment

Originally posted by bctaris View Post
                          Originally posted by Sensuifu View Post
                          Or hypermetabolism. Someone hypoglycemic wouldn't be simply eating a lot every day--it's not a permanent state; and Yoshino would more likely be getting her juice, anyway. Any case, she didn't seem certain what her deal is, even suggesting being tested for a parasite, aka, tapeworm or the like(!).

Now, if she was shown going to the bathroom a lot... (Hmm, Japan has one of the lowest rates of Type 1 diabetes, by the way. What anime makes me look up on Google.)
                          I'm no endocrinologist, but it could be related to that, which could also possibly link to hyperthyroidism. Doubt it could've been a parasite either, otherwise she would've seen the side effects of it in her stool. *excuse the mental image

Yeah, the eating theme of this story is peculiar. Michiko Yokote's running the writing on this one, so that explains intriguing characters in a run-of-the-mill plot. Worth a shot. Like others, have to see what's up with Yoshino.

And what food has to do with it all.
                          Which is interesting. She did an awesome job compositing that 'carbohydrates' sequence in Prison School, and was at the helm for pretty much all of No-Rin (agriculture/food), amusingly enough; a couple of Dagashi Kashi episodes...so yeah, I suppose the theme is one she's comfortable in relating with. Still, something about this episode seems to imply the show is really going to focus on food intake, or at least the dietary habits of the characters more frequently than I was expecting. Pretty quirky plot device for a premise as mundane as childhood vengeance. I'll continue watching, but meh, the Accel World similarities is a bit distracting.
                          Last edited by Sensuifu; 01-07-2017, 04:34 AM.

Comment

Episode 2

Can't get revenge like that.

So it turns out the person who wrote that letter is Aki's lackey Koiwai, whose family has served Aki's family for a long time, and unlike with Aki, Koiwai knows that Masamune is the same chubby kid from way back. Then Masamune asks Aki out on a date and her response? After looking in the drawer, inside the broom closet, under the desk, in the chicken coup, and outside the classroom window Aki declines. Masamune may have his heart in the right place, but his head is most definitely not after Aki turned him down in grand fashion. That was pretty funny to see all that go down, especially seeing Koiwai being all klutzy stumbling and showing her panties in the process, yet having another side of her that's in-line with Aki's mindset.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

Heh, "Bara no Hitomi no Steroid": like the weird shoujo title parody. Also, the characters in the manga are voiced by Kouda Mariko and Okiayu Ryoutarou, whom both voiced shoujo series leads in the 90s with Marmalade Boy.

And dang, I wasn't wrong about wondering if Yoshino had a scary side. I like the increasing appropriateness of having the Swim Swim voice. And she hasn't betrayed Masamune's secret because she wants to get back at her "ruler". Well, it's obvious she isn't treated very nicely right now at all, but seems like there could be much more to it with their long past. Could be complicated, and quite curious what backstory we will get there, as well as how their plans turn out going forward.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X