Akiba's Trip Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Episode 12

Haha, Arisa never fails to amuse. "After getting my MBA...." juxtaposed with her appearing no older than 8 years old, riding a horse in front of an American Eagle Outfitters store...wait, Sandy McDougal, is that you? :D

And interestingly enough she actually dressed like a Southern belle (had a feeling she wasn't just forcing that accent for nothing ) Amazing how accomplished she is, only to follow her desires in saving Akihabara. Haha, never change Arisa.

Happy for Mayo finally acknowledging her true feelings for Tamotsu. Though still wondering what's up with Urame and their 'grandmother' and why they need to get rid of Mayo. Is Mayo hiding some secret from the rest? Seems like the 'bugged ones' might actually be from the Hazoku clan that Mayo and Urame hail from. Curious to why they need to rid of the 'people' from the city. If this is some sort of satirical, 'puritanical' idealism to rid Japan of dirty influences (ala Shimoneta), very interesting...

Comment

• Re: Episode 11

Originally posted by Sensuifu View Post
      Maybe it's not all that uncommon though. The same thought could be applied to almost anything...as they say "beauty is in the eye of the beholder". Kind of like how people marvel engineering feats like dam construction, wind turbines, freeways. All utilities, but the vast majority of people wouldn't think twice or admire the ingenuity/innovation behind them.
      A famous example is 'A Personal View On Japanese Culture', an article by Sakaguchi Ango. The title is borrowed from A Personal View On Japanese Culture by Bruno Taut. In 'A Personal View On Japanese Culture', Ango talked about the beauty of a prison, a factory, and a destroyer.
      Since Bones produced Un-Go, Western anime fans, too, may come to know about Sakaguchi Ango.

I think part of the charm of railways and the railfandom includes trainspotting. Just like people who tour airports; it's likely they're also planespotters. Though I doubt you'll find traffic junkies staring out a window of a building or car, just to 'carspot'. Then again, I guess you can never tell.
      I have seen children at the roadside watching cars and talking about 'boring' saloons and 'cool' sports cars. So there may be children who are motor-car otaku and do 'carspotting'. 'Carspotting' may be too childish for grown-ups, though. (And 'Normal' people may also regard adult trainspotters as childish.)

I worded that wrong. Instead of 'fan', I meant to say 'viewers'. In other words, I was implying that some viewers, might want to experience the charm and 'idealism' behind a particular hobby. But when they try to imitate what they learned/saw in a show, that person might not exactly feel/envision the same thing that author/creator's idealistic view portrayed. Simply put, they're subjectivity and opinion of the place/thing/event doesn't match that of the author's once they've discovered what the appeal was.
      Thank you for the explanation.
      Certainly, when a 'layman' reads a manga or something about an otacky hobby, it is probable that it is difficult for the layman to fully and from the bottom of his heart appreciate/'feel' the joy of the otacky hobby. If there is a manga or anime which can make a layman feel the joy of an otacky hobby from the bottom of his heart, that manga/anime is a masterpiece in a sense.
      On 2ch, I have read a story that an anime otaku was influenced by Bakuon!! and got a licence to ride a motorcycle (and tragically had a traffic accident). Is this an example that an anime about a hobby drove a person to be into the hobby?
      In Genshiken, there is a line, 'Otaku is not what you try to become and then can become. One day you find you to be an otaku.' 'How and When does a person become an otaku?' is an interesting and related question.

To put things into perspective- Mayo's reaction to the card battles. That's as blunt as it comes. :D
      Oh, yes, in comparison to the participants' highly romanticised view of the card battle, Mayonaka Matome's view is very cold. Maybe that scene is the anime staff's satire on maniacs' enthusiasm.

Comment

Originally posted by kijakusai View Post
        On 2ch, I have read a story that an anime otaku was influenced by Bakuon!! and got a licence to ride a motorcycle (and tragically had a traffic accident). Is this an example that an anime about a hobby drove a person to be into the hobby?
        Yeah, I think that qualifies as a good example despite the tragedy behind it. Definitely not something anyone would want to be victim to, but I suppose there are tons of stories similar to this. I'm sure there are a people who've picked up stuff like airsoft/paintball; biking; band/music; shogi; etc. after being influenced with the associated anime. Though to an extent, driving interest outside the show itself is inherent to the promotional nature of some shows, especially ones with depiction/representation of actual brands.

Bakuon!! is one example; MinaKama is another obvious example with its live action cycling tips and touring of Kamakura. But really though, I believe licensing authentic branding has a lot to do with helping the show's image/appeal and may not exactly be done to solely promote brand awareness. In the case of Bakuon!!, I feel a huge percentage of the comedy is reliant on the real manufacturers actually being referred to; and they even had fun with them while singing バイク部勧誘の歌 ~もうこんな乗り物いやだ~ Had they given the brands generic/fake names, I doubt the show would've been as big as it was. People wouldn't feel the 'real connection' to the characters/show if the main appeal of real world bikes were made generic. What would Rin refer her Suzuki as? Or Raimu with her Kawasaki? Ruzuki? Lawazaki? Bonda instead of Honda? When the characters say a brand by its real name, the viewers/fans can instantly relate to them in some way and take the context more personally.

Same case with BanG Dream!; K-On!; and Dagashi Kashi. All these shows don't exactly promote/'sell' the brands; they're likely licensed to make the show's portrayal and connection to its viewers as authentic as possible, which is easier to do when actual brands are used. Though in the case of Tiger and Bunny, to almost all viewers, it was a blatant plug for all the sponsors involved- not exactly in the same definition that Bakuon!!/MinaKama/Dagashi Kashi likely intended. That series got a lot of criticism for its product placement, though understandably so as many felt it appeared more like an advertisement considering the context in which the companies were presented.

btw, is there a promo meal featuring Akiba's Trip in the Japanese Carl's Jr.?

In Genshiken, there is a line, 'Otaku is not what you try to become and then can become. One day you find you to be an otaku.' 'How and When does a person become an otaku?' is an interesting and related question.
        I believe you'll realize you're an otaku when it's too late.

To put things into perspective- Mayo's reaction to the card battles. That's as blunt as it comes. :D
        Oh, yes, in comparison to the participants' highly romanticised view of the card battle, Mayonaka Matome's view is very cold. Maybe that scene is the anime staff's satire on maniacs' enthusiasm.
        I think it really was. :D Some people have various reactions, maybe appalled, or disgusted by it, but Mayo's seems like the typical reaction- not interested or enthused by the scene. I admit, I thought the same way about 'Magic the Gathering' so many years ago. But on an interesting note, some people who've kept up with it/held those cards for so long, may be sitting on treasure.
        Last edited by Sensuifu; 03-27-2017, 03:12 AM.

Comment

• Episode 13 (Finale)

Hah! Pyuko lives! Nice to see her back again.

So we find out the reason behind the Bugged Ones and why Mayo's grandmother was so antagonistic about the Akiba culture and its filthy humans. Looks like living under a rock for the past 50 years does warp your perception of things. Funny how Mayo admits being 78, which is relatively young to the Hazoku, but even funnier when she reveals the truth to Tamotsu about her secret/background. Wasn't really expecting a thorough exposition of the sort, but nonetheless was amused they answered exactly what I suspected last episode.

The ensuing battle and simultaneous Manias concert with the songs arranged to Chopin's 'Nocturne Op.9 No. 2' and Mozart's 'Ode to Joy', as the denizens of Akiba cheer on Mayo and Tamotsu, was brilliantly designed. Even then, like many times in the show, there's a lot of random quirks thrown in the episodes themselves; this time - seeing Mayo (during her flashback) experiencing Akiba for the first time, unknowing she had already crossed paths with Tamotsu, Niwaka, and Tatsujin; the in-show advertising for the Blu-ray release; and of course; the Earphones promo with Manias mirroring their performance. Oh, and that Back to the Future/Steins;Gate spoof at the end.

Sad to see the ride come to an end though. Like with similar shows of the genre, the humor really shines if you can reference the parodies; but even with the unfamiliar ones, it was still an entertaining show. It's not even close to being ecchi as some might've expected or what its title might imply, and it's definitely more self-aware of its context than some viewers might discredit. I can't really compare this with the source (never played it), but there's a tendency that anime adaptations fail to deliver in many cases. Seems like this show (according to some following the franchise) did justice, and perhaps surpassed the source in some ways. Definitely a gem if you can appreciate these kinds of comedy. Hard to tell if it's really widely appreciated though, but it's definitely nice to see it's generated the most views this season on the forum.

Comment

• Re: Episode 13 (Finale)

That was a lot of fun. Good, rollicking, ridiculous finale. Big battle, a concert to give them power, and everything.

Best character return in a finale since old man Matsuda, last week.

Capping off the fanservice theme, which was throughout always more tongue-in-cheek, and as a nod to the source, than salacious, Mayo may have had the line of the series:

"The fact that you only partially undressed them so that you can see them naked for a bit longer before they vaporized paid off!"

Mozart's 'Ode to Joy'
            "It was a bit from the glorious Ninth, by Ludwig van," not Wolfgang.
            Avatar: Tsumugi, Sweetness & Lightning
            TFP Forum Rules

Comment

I love the cliched evil lair tropes with Tamotsu and Mayo on their way to confront grandma, between the booby traps and the way grandma ruthlessly disposes of the subordinates that led them to her room.

Seems like a rather Macross franchise-esque finale with the concert in Akiba powering up Tamotsu and Mayo. Though I figure there's some other things being parodied there too.

Dangit all. I just knew an interruption was coming. They were such a nice couple and so I was a bit irritated that it was cut short when they finally got a peaceful mutually happy moment. Though was still a fun parody with the way the others showed up. I feel like there's something specific I'm trying to think of and forgetting with the nature of this time travel ending (the titles Sensuifu mentioned definitely came to my mind, though).

Comment

Originally posted by bctaris View Post
                That was a lot of fun. Good, rollicking, ridiculous finale. Big battle, a concert to give them power, and everything.

Best character return in a finale since old man Matsuda, last week.
                Was somewhat hopeful Matsuda's was going to happen, but Pyuko's was quite the surprise.
                Capping off the fanservice theme, which was throughout always more tongue-in-cheek, and as a nod to the source, than salacious, Mayo may have had the line of the series:

"The fact that you only partially undressed them so that you can see them naked for a bit longer before they vaporized paid off!"
                Hah, yeah. Plenty of good lines. Liked the anti-deus-ex machina bit too.

Mozart's 'Ode to Joy'
                "It was a bit from the glorious Ninth, by Ludwig van," not Wolfgang.
                Ah, had Beethoven in mind but fingers went astray with Mozart.

Comment

...When the characters say a brand by its real name, the viewers/fans can instantly relate to them in some way and take the context more personally...
                  As Kingsley Amis said in The James Bond Dossier, to make real-life proper names of brands and products appear in a work of fiction is an technique used also by Ian Fleming. Amis called the effect achieved by the technique the Fleming Effect. Certainy, Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki, etc being mentioned increases the feel of authenticity (and comicalness) in Bakuon!!.

btw, is there a promo meal featuring Akiba's Trip in the Japanese Carl's Jr.?
                  I have skimmed webpages on the Carl's Jr. site, and it seems that Carl's Jr. doesn't serve special meals related to Akiba's Trip.
                  Since Carl's Jr. Akibahara is the first and only Carl's Jr. restaurant in Tokyo as of writing this, the name 'Carl's Jr.' has almost automatically made people associate it with Akibahara. Carl's Jr. will open a restaurant in Jiyūgaoka, Tokyo in April, though. (Carl's Jr. had some restaurants in Osaka in the 80s and 90s, but they withdrew from Japan soon that time.)
                  Shake Shack has opened its 1st restaurant in Japan in Meiji Jingū Gaien, which is an area that is usually regarded as cool and fashionable, and many people think it is the standard way if a foreign company opens its restaurants in Japan. (McDonald's opened its 1st restaurant in Japan in the corner of an upmarket department store in Ginza.) But Carl's Jr. has opened its 1st restaurant in Tokyo in Akibahara, an area which is usually regarded as the Uncool Geeky Town.
                  As to the reasons why Carl's Jr. has opened its 1st restaurant in Tokyo in Akibahara, according to news media, the president of Carl's Jr. Japan and the PR section of Carl's Jr. Japan say:

・ There are many young people in Akibahara. Our foods are targeted at them.
                  ・ Also many tourists visit Akibahara.
                  ・ Akibahara is the epicenter of information.

┐(ยด~`)┌ ヤレヤレ ←shrug, a gaijin pose.
                  Do the suits of Carl's Jr. mistake the epicenter of geeky information for an epicenter of fashionable information?

Ned Lyerly, President of International Division at CKE Restaurants Inc., has said, 'We will be able to have 1000 Carl's Jr. restaurants in Japan.'

I believe you'll realize you're an otaku when it's too late.
                  That's a witty definition. Coincidentially, the Genshiken scene in question says, 'Therefore you cannot quit being an otaku.'
                  Being an otaku may be something like a way of no return.

I think it really was. :D Some people have various reactions, maybe appalled, or disgusted by it, but Mayo's seems like the typical reaction- not interested or enthused by the scene. I admit, I thought the same way about 'Magic the Gathering' so many years ago. But on an interesting note, some people who've kept up with it/held those cards for so long, may be sitting on treasure.
                  For people who know about card games like Magic the Gathering, probably the 'maniacs' enthusiasm vs. outsiders' cold reaction' scene would be easier to understand.
                  Last edited by kijakusai; 04-02-2017, 05:51 PM.

Comment

...it's generated the most views this season on the forum.
                    It probably reflects people who have visited the forum being interested not only in Akiba's Trip itself but also in otacky things which were depicted/mentioned in Akiba's Trip.

Comment

It probably reflects people who have visited the forum being interested not only in Akiba's Trip itself but also in otacky things which were depicted/mentioned in Akiba's Trip.
                      Or, lurkers appreciative of all the trivia and references you've highlighted in addition to the show itself. I think it wouldn't have half the views if it weren't for your insightful input, and afaik, it seems to be the most 'informative' thread this side of the Pacific as far as the referential commentary is concerned. No other English forum/site I've come across has the amount of trivia referenced/explained as done here, so perhaps the viewcount is reflective of that.

Comment

Shake Shack has opened its 1st restaurant in Japan in Meiji Jingū Gaien, which is an area that is usually regarded as cool and fashionable, and many people think it is the standard way if a foreign company opens its restaurants in Japan. (McDonald's opened its 1st restaurant in Japan in the corner of an upmarket department store in Ginza.) But Carl's Jr. has opened its 1st restaurant in Tokyo in Akibahara, an area which is usually regarded as the Uncool Geeky Town.
                        For Shake Shack, at least, that makes sense. It's slightly higher end, more "fast casual" (and intentionally a smaller) chain. (Their domestic competition are chains like Smashburger, Five Guys, Fatburger, or In-N-Out, among others. We have too many burger fast/casual burger chains in the US. )

For Carl's Jr. in Akihabara, perhaps, that isn't that bad a match, with how the company has marketed itself (until just this month, their ads for years featured half-dressed women and plenty of double-entendre), often aiming intentionally for a lower denominator of the mass market. Or just not giving a damn. They might be aiming for more respectability now, however, after their parent company's controversial CEO's recent departure. (I've never been much impressed with their food; again too much other competition. )
                        TFP Forum Rules

Comment

Or, lurkers appreciative of all the trivia and references you've highlighted in addition to the show itself. I think it wouldn't have half the views if it weren't for your insightful input, and afaik, it seems to be the most 'informative' thread this side of the Pacific as far as the referential commentary is concerned. No other English forum/site I've come across has the amount of trivia referenced/explained as done here, so perhaps the viewcount is reflective of that.
                          Yes, a grand thank you for all the extra details and background, kijakusai!
                          TFP Forum Rules

Comment

For Shake Shack, at least, that makes sense. It's slightly higher end, more "fast casual" (and intentionally a smaller) chain. (Their domestic competition are chains like Smashburger, Five Guys, Fatburger, or In-N-Out, among others. We have too many burger fast/casual burger chains in the US. )
                            Seriously, and this isn't counting all the other restaurants that have burgers in their menus despite not being burger chains.

For Carl's Jr. in Akihabara, perhaps, that isn't that bad a match, with how the company has marketed itself (until just this month, their ads for years featured half-dressed women and plenty of double-entendre), often aiming intentionally for a lower denominator of the mass market. Or just not giving a damn. They might be aiming for more respectability now, however, after their parent company's controversial CEO's recent departure. (I've never been much impressed with their food; again too much other competition. )
                            And that's the funny thing I was going to mention, that their crude and lewd image (ad-wise) was so fitting of the show's parody and tone. I'm not sure how they're perceived in Japan or whether they have as much 'exposure' within their ads there, but it was definitely an appropriate match. I guess it depends on the franchisees, but I have to admit their food is more palatable than the other options I have near me. Though Jack in the Box and In-N-Out are probably the best overall as far as the major chain goes.

Comment

We have too many burger fast/casual burger chains in the US.
                              Oh, it may reinforce the stereotyped view that Americans are people who munch tons of fast food.

And that's the funny thing I was going to mention, that their crude and lewd image (ad-wise) was so fitting of the show's parody and tone. I'm not sure how they're perceived in Japan or whether they have as much 'exposure' within their ads there, but it was definitely an appropriate match. I guess it depends on the franchisees, but I have to admit their food is more palatable than the other options I have near me. Though Jack in the Box and In-N-Out are probably the best overall as far as the major chain goes.
                              Thank you for providing info about social-class/cultural connotations of American hamburger brands.
                              Commercials like these?
                              As you said, Carl Hardee Sr. seems to want to say something about his son's way of business.
                              Carl's Jr. (wisely) didn't say, 'Yo, Japanese folks, we are a company that caters to lowbrows and puts lewd ads.' Since Carl's Jr. posted promotional models wearing midriff-baring outfits at the pre-opening event for media people in the Akibahara restaurant, they may have kinda showed their true colours, however.
                              Since Carl's Jr. plans to open restaurants also in Jiyūgaoka and Azabu Jūban, areas usually regarded as cool and fashionable, it seems that they want to present themselves as a company which caters to cool and fashionable people.
                              When a foreign company's social-class/cultural connotations are X and the company does business in Japan, it is possible that Japanese people don't know those connotations. While some Japanese media mentioned Carl's Jr's racy ads, I doubt that many people who crowd Carl's Jr. restaurants in Japan know its cultural connotations as much/exactly as American people know. It is an interesting thing which often happens when something is imported from Country X into Country Y.

Comment

Yes, a grand thank you for all the extra details and background, kijakusai!
                                It's a pleasure. Thank you for your compliment. I'm glad if what I have posted on this thread is useful to people who want to know about things that appear in the Akiba's Trip anime.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                                Widgets Magazine
                                Working...
                                X