X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Fall 2016] Fate/Grand Order Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    フェイト/グランド オーダー

A futuristic and apocalyptic take on the Holy Grail War in the Fate franchise. It's up to a new master and a demi-servant to fight for the future of humanity as just when it looked like humanity will go on, the situation quickly changes due to Holy Grail Wars.

Airs: Saturday, December 31

Studio: Lay-Duce

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

The story is set in the year 2015, during the final era over which magic still held a strong influence. The humanity survival and security organization Chaldea was established to observe the world that can only be seen by magic and the world that can only be measured by science; as well as to prevent the final extinction of humanity.

Thanks to the efforts of many researchers, the path of human history has been ensured for 100 years into the future. However, without warning, the realm of the future that was under constant observation by Chaldea vanished. The extinction of humanity in 2017 was observed—no, confirmed.

The apparent cause of the extinction was in the Japanese city of Fuyuki in 2004. In that city, there was an "unobservable realm" which had never existed until now.

Chaldea issued the Grand Order for a "Holy Grail Expedition," to investigate, uncover, and possibly destroy the singularity that apparently will cause the extinction of humanity.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Nene Yoshiro, Toilet-bound Hanako-kun
    Watching: Luck & Logic, Soul Link, Happiness, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FGO, MHA, MJN, CHF, HIQ, TOA-R, ISQ, YUC, YKN, IIV, EIZ, SET, IBG, SML, OBD, JSH, RKO, SRW, PMM, INS
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

First Order

That was quite a big change from the Fate franchise that I am used to seeing. For a moment, I thought I was watching something that's not from this franchise as the show's main setting is more of a sci-fi thing, but it wouldn't be long before it became the Fate stuff that I knew.

Just like with FSN, the MC was struggling to find his way at the beginning as he was benched for his first mission for sleeping during Olga's lecture, but then things suddenly fell on his shoulders when Mash was on death's door and suddenly, he became a Master with Mash being his Servant Shielder, or more precisely a Demi-Servant as she's a living human rather than a legendary figure, and then they find themselves at Fuyuki City where in this timeline, the Holy Grail War ended with the Saber turning evil and Fuyuki being destroyed.

The fights are great, though Lay-duce's animation is nowhere near as amazing as Ufotable's. First, there's the battle against Rider as she beheads a stoned Shinji and Caster, who is the same guy as FSN's Lancer, comes in to break her chains. Then there's dark Archer as Caster channels his inner-Yamato revealing himself to be a mage of the woods. And finally, there's Ritsuka and Mash against dark Saber, and Mash's defense is so strong that it could withstand Excalibur.

Then came a big twist in the end as Leff has some evil scheme planned and for that, he kills Olga. That Leff guy sure is sinister first disappearing when all hell broke loose, and then showing up like that to torture Olga before sending her to her grave. So with that, while one singularity has been dealt with, seven more just appeared.

That was a nice first impression there as Fate shows from Aniplex have an extended length first episode, and certainly with this show being part of a big franchise that I'm expecting to see a TV series out of this, or at the very least a series of specials. In any case, I like what I saw and I'm down for more of this. While not as deep and impactful as Fate/Zero, nor as visually impressive like Unlimited Blade Works, it certainly is enjoyable and full of intrigue, so I'm hoping that there's more coming soon.
    Simulcasts: FGO, MHA, MJN, CHF, HIQ, TOA-R, ISQ, YUC, YKN, IIV, EIZ, SET, IBG, SML, OBD, JSH, RKO, SRW, PMM, INS
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: First Order

Heh, they had to get in their parody of the famous "Are you my master?" pose for the initial meeting.

Interesting seeing the FSN setting with some of the servants in different classes, opening up with Medusa as a Lancer and then Cْ Chulainn as a Caster. The latter is really badass, and he actually wins! Why the hell would he want to be summoned as a Lancer next time and doom himself to dying ingloriously?

I'm really sad about Olga Marie. Such a promising tsundere ojousama, but she's not meant to be a Rin here, but instead just fuel for hating the bad guy. What a tragically sucky position to get.

Comment

This was pretty interesting. This is kinda like a combination of all the Fate/whatevers. They're showing here that all those holy grail wars are happening in the same universe but at different times. And at each time there is that professor doing something to screw humanity to make sure everyone dies by December 2016. Looks like he failed because 2016 just ended lol.

Liked how they switched places with the FSN Caster and Lancer (yeah that wasn't the same woman, but she does look a lot like the FSN caster). Lol Lancer didn't have to kill himself or anything and he was actually the last one standing in front of Saber. He totally deserved it. Liked how he was saying that he's not used to being a caster. He was wrongly summoned as a caster; he was supposed to be summoned as a Lancer only to kill himself. Lancer sure doesn't like good ends lol. The battle between him and Archer looked like the continuation of the one in FSN in front of the church (I think).

Now the two have to time travel to different holy grail wars in different time periods and stop Leff.

The scene where Mash is getting crushed by a big ass piece of rubble and Ritsuka is just sitting there so calm was super weird. That was probably the most off-putting death I've ever seen. Ritsuka was acting all is well and was even nekoing asking Mash if she's okay. Like hell she's okay!

The animation was okayish I think. Obviously they weren't any match for the other recent Fate show, but they were passable I guess. The Archer vs Lancer turned Caster fight had some cool moments.

I like what they've got going here and I'd like to see more. I would play the game but I don't know Japanese and other methods are too much of a pain (the game's not even available here on Google play anyway).
        My ReviewsMy MAL ProfileMy Anime List

Comment

Originally posted by Yamada2 View Post
          Liked how they switched places with the FSN Caster and Lancer (yeah that wasn't the same woman, but she does look a lot like the FSN caster).
          Medusa was Rider in FSN. Both her and Medea/Caster have long purplish hair IIRC, so mixing them up is not surprising. Figured it was Medusa when we saw people turned to stone, though.

Comment

Originally posted by EmperorBrandon View Post
            Liked how they switched places with the FSN Caster and Lancer (yeah that wasn't the same woman, but she does look a lot like the FSN caster).
            Medusa was Rider in FSN. Both her and Medea/Caster have long purplish hair IIRC, so mixing them up is not surprising. Figured it was Medusa when we saw people turned to stone, though.
            I see. The clothing for this Lancer was way more similar to FSN Caster's than it was to FSN Rider's. But I did get that this new Lancer was Medusa.
            My ReviewsMy MAL ProfileMy Anime List

Comment

Originally posted by EmperorBrandon View Post
              Not to mention, her hair turning into chains was a dead giveaway. Medusa's hair turns into snakes in legend, so that meant that her hair is a dangerous weapon. Anyway, that was quite a scene there with Medusa killing Shinji while he's a statue all going to show that just how hated he is. Anyway, it will be interesting to see what the other singularities bring to the table, but that's something for another day as there are quite a lot of other Fate stuff coming out pretty soon.

Comment

For Fate fanservice, this was a fun fanfic, but otherwise I didn't really like it. Seeing our familiar faces, especially with some swapped to different classes and some of the traditionally "good" ones being "evil" here, was neat, as well as the implication that the structure of this story can potentially tie together all the different Fate universes. But yeah, I can't actually say much positive about the content.
                My Top Anime | Manga
                My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                My FP Reviews | Twitter
                FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                Widgets Magazine
                Working...