X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Autumn 2011] Hunter x Hunter (2011) discussion thread

Widgets Magazine
    ハンター×ハンター

A remake of the 1998 adaptation of the intermittent but still ongoing shounen manga.

Airs Sunday, October 2 at 10:55 JST on Nihon TV.

Animation studio: Madhouse.

ANN Entry

Official Site

Note
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Post Reply" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Quote" to the post you want to reply to.
    My Top Anime | Manga
    My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
    My FP Reviews | Twitter
    FPR Episodes | Apple

Episode 1

This is the first experience I've had with Hunter x Hunter, but I've heard only great things about both the manga and the previous anime, and I love Yu Yu Hakusho in all forms. I really liked this first episode. The setting is interesting enough, the animation is great, and it moves along nice and quickly for its genre.
    My Top Anime | Manga
    My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
    My FP Reviews | Twitter
    FPR Episodes | Apple

Comment

Re: Episode 1

This is my first time with a show like this (I haven't seen so much as an episode of DBZ, Naruto, One Piece etc.) though I'm aware of the tropes by fandom osmosis. It was interesting enough. We'll see how long it can hold my interest.

Comment

Episode 2

The first episode set got us into the setting and we learned a little about the current 3 leads, although mostly just Gon, so this episode went much further into who each character is and their talents that will keep them going throughout the exam. It's funny that they keep having to pass all these tests before the exam itself even begins. Anyway, it's still lots of fun, moves along nice and quickly, and so far focuses mainly on how the characters actually think their way through problems.
        My Top Anime | Manga
        My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
        My FP Reviews | Twitter
        FPR Episodes | Apple

Comment

I haven't watched the original, but I've read all of the manga VIZ released so far. Besides a missing flashback that was rumored to be removed (which I wouldn't have remembered if it wasn't mention), it seems like a solid adaption from the first episode. One thing that bothered me was the anime didn't establish the fact that Mito is Gon's aunt.
          Avatar: Light Yagami (Death Note) in Nendoroid form.
          Watching: ERASED [Crunchyroll], Your Lie in April [Netflix], Dragon Ball Kai, Hunter x Hunter [Toonami]
          On Hiatus: Too much to list...

Comment

Originally posted by Zilch View Post
            I haven't watched the original, but I've read all of the manga VIZ released so far. Besides a missing flashback that was rumored to be removed (which I wouldn't have remembered if it wasn't mention), it seems like a solid adaption from the first episode. One thing that bothered me was the anime didn't establish the fact that Mito is Gon's aunt.
            It;s been stated that they will go back to mention the details about Kite and Mito a little later on. They most likely skipped it in the beginning because they didn;t want to be exactly like the first series.
            "All's the world has anger issues" - Alphanega

My Anime Planet List

Comment

Re: Episode 2

The best response is no response. I really liked how that scene played out. It's surprising how much faith Kurapika has in Leorio after such a short time.

Forgot to mention this before, but I really don't like the ending theme.
              Watching: ERASED [Crunchyroll], Your Lie in April [Netflix], Dragon Ball Kai, Hunter x Hunter [Toonami]

Comment

Re: Episode 2

Oh, I hate the ED.

This episode was decently interesting. I have no experience with this series or anything like it, so it's all new to me. It's actually nice to watch something different for a change.

(And I never would have realized that Mito wasn't his mother. I was actually wondering why he called his mother by her first name.)

Comment

Episode 3

Oh my god they spent way too much time introducing people. Even if all these characters are going to become relevant, they should be introduced when that time comes, not all at once when we have no reason to care about any of them, especially when it takes up so much of the episode that almost nothing else happens. The one guy doing the introducing is at least revealed to be a bad guy who only cares about getting rid of rookies by giving them laxative juice. You'd think he'd find a better use of his time, or that his game would be a little more well known after spending 35 years making everyone he can find crap their brains out when they're trying to take the exam. A major antagonist is introduced, who apparently... turns people's bodies into flower petals? Okay. That seemed kind of sudden and random. Also, the last of the main cast is introduced, but not much is revealed about him, except that he fits in with the other leads. The animation doesn't look as good in this episode, but I'm more surprised at how good it did look in the first 2, considering this is a potentially endless series that needs to spread its budget out thin.
                  My Top Anime | Manga
                  My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                  My FP Reviews | Twitter
                  FPR Episodes | Apple

Comment

Re: Episode 3

Originally posted by FUNiOP View Post
                    The one guy doing the introducing is at least revealed to be a bad guy who only cares about getting rid of rookies by giving them laxative juice. You'd think he'd find a better use of his time, or that his game would be a little more well known after spending 35 years making everyone he can find crap their brains out when they're trying to take the exam. A major antagonist is introduced, who apparently... turns people's bodies into flower petals? Okay. That seemed kind of sudden and random.
                    Er, Tonpa's reputation as a rookie killer was mentioned by the group of examinees. I highly doubt that someone in an life or death exam with a low passing rate taken by over 400 applicants would help a bunch of rookies before the test even begins if that's what you mean. As for Hisoka, that was more or less toning down the violence (though no blood was actually shown in the manga, only the missing arms).

Comment

Re: Episode 3

Originally posted by Zilch View Post
                      Er, Tonpa's reputation as a rookie killer was mentioned by the group of examinees. I highly doubt that someone in an life or death exam with a low passing rate taken by over 400 applicants would help a bunch of rookies before the test even begins if that's what you mean.
                      I didn't mean he should help rookies, just that another character mentioned that he never gets anywhere in the test because he spends all his time trying to make rookies drop out right off, and that it seems like even more people would know about him.
                      My Top Anime | Manga
                      My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                      My FP Reviews | Twitter
                      FPR Episodes | Apple

Comment

Episode 4

I liked the part where they were running. But seriously, I liked this episode quite a bit. Killua got introduced to the other leads, and now the main group is pretty much formed. Everyone else gets plenty of focus, too, though, with some of the first major glimpses into their pasts and motivations for taking the Hunter Exam. The number of contestants is cut down significantly, and Gon and Killua really show the people in charge what they're made of at the end of the first phase. It was a little silly that they were running the whole time, but it ended up being a lot better than I expected considering that.
                        My Top Anime | Manga
                        My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                        My FP Reviews | Twitter
                        FPR Episodes | Apple

Comment

Episode 7: Showdown x On The x Airship

- Hisoka have his own way to enjoying cards....
                          - Did they really believe they could won against Netero, well it was a good training.
                          - We witness another side of Killua. Advice of the day: Don't make him angry!

Comment

Episode 8: Decision X By X Majority

- Here we have the guy who laughs for no reason!
                            - One more nobody dead real fast!
                            - Key to be a good hunter: observe the others die, don’t make the same mistake!
                            - Should you really let Tonpa go first…I’m sure he has his reasons…
                            - So they lost the first match…but it was way too expected.
                            - Match 2: Gon! Of course it will be next week!

Good little episode…man this show really bring back memories…

Comment

Episode 9

Kurapika gets a good showing here. I'm starting to get more excited about the events of the exam now. It hasn't reached a point where I feel it's great yet, but for something as long as this, I can understand having to wait longer than this for that to happen. The phases are taking longer now, but that's to be expected, and I can see how they could stretch them out more, which I expect they did in the original series. It still feels a little slow sometimes, but since I know how slow these kinds of things can go sometimes, I can appreciate the relatively good pace.
                              My Top Anime | Manga
                              My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                              My FP Reviews | Twitter
                              FPR Episodes | Apple

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...