X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Fall 2016] Magic of Stella Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    ステラのまほう

A show about a club at an all-girls high school dedicated to making doujin games.

Airs: Monday, October 3

Studio: Silver Link

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Daisuki

Tamaki Honda is a first-year high school girl who joins a somewhat peculiar "SNS-Bu" circle that makes dōjin (self-published) games.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Violet Evergarden of KyoAni's Violet Evergarden
    Watching: Kyo Kara Maoh, Pokemon Sun and Moon, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, FRB, KYB, FGN, MIX, FIL
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

SNS. It's in the game.

It begins with Tama and Yumine looking for a club and while Yumine quickly joined the Illustrators Club, Tama wasn't so sure. So after playing a puzzle game that the SNS Club made, she decides to join them seeing that they desperately need an artist with their previous one having graduated. That was a solid way to introduce the characters here, and while it has the feel of New Game!, this is in an amateur environment at school where everybody actually looks their age rather than a professional one at the workplace. The way the girls interact are pretty cute, especially between Aya and Shii as they are really passionate about doujin games. And seeing Tama drawing retro shounen style artwork is pretty funny as well.

And now onto the second episode that was also released today after the first episode came a week after its premiere in Japan.
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Episode 2

Where's my notebook?

Tama and Yumine have been friends for a long time, and it was pretty cute to see them in the past. And as it turns out, the reason for Tama's retro shounen style of drawing is because her house is littered with retro shounen manga, so naturally the artwork is stuck in her head as she tries to draw something that's closer to her predecessor's style. Kayo is such a hard worker there as in addition to composing the soundtrack, she's also a waitress, while it was funny to see Aya going crazy when her notebook ends up in Tama's bag. But above all, what stood out here is Yumine and her passion for BL is cute, as well as her commitment to Tama in her artwork even though she's not an official member of SNS.

So with that seeing that there are no Monday shows that have wowed me and scream instant lock that this show's position on my watchlist will depend on how it stacks up against Trickster and Ping Pong Girls as I will pick one, and only one of these three Monday shows. Unlike with Long Riders where it's a Daisuki exclusive where I need a subscription to watch (and I'm not sure if that's going to be the case moving forward as the first episode can be watched without a subscription despite being advertised as one-week exclusive), this show doesn't require one, so it will have the same leash as the other two Monday shows. I have been enjoying this show so far even if it didn't do anything to stand out from those typical moe shows, so it has a solid chance of being selected.

Comment

Re: Episode 1

This was as cute as I expected from Silver Link. They almost always deliver when it comes to cuteness. Tama-chan was too cute. Yumi was a fujo who will probably have no relation to the SNS club. Lol that name. Who the hell came up with this retarded name and why? I want to know that long story. The other girls were cute too except for Shi and Aya. The comedy was a bit towards the weak side here but I think it'll stay that way because this didn't feel like it'll have comedy like Anne Happy or whatever. It'll probably be somewhat less eventful. Or maybe it was just this episode. Lol Tama-chan's drawing. I expected as much but I still found it hilarious. It would be even more hilarious if the game they're making has character designs like that lol. Anyway, this show is this season's dosage of cuteness for me.
        My ReviewsMy MAL ProfileMy Anime List

Comment

Shii's design really reminds me so much of Hitoha from Mitsudomoe. And the voice Murakawa Rie uses sounds very close to her Ram. She does have a scary side too for a few moments. I like how she went off on Aya having goofed around and caused more work for her, and she seems to like her strange drink concoctions. But she's mostly pretty sweet in her subdued nature. The concerns she's showing to Tama over her knowing how hard and demanding it will be ahead of time seem like they might be indicative of trouble she's faced in the past. I'm curious what will be revealed if that is the case.

And Tama has such a sweetly supportive friend in Yumine. But not only that, I love how she describes her introduction to the Illustrating Club. The more amusing fujoshi this season, the better. Doesn't seem like her seiyuu Maekawa Ryouko has had many big roles before this point, but I'm hoping she gets more from her as I really liked her vocal mannerisms.

Comment

And with that, I think I can safely avoid touching Daisuki anymore this season. This had nice production values for its soft aesthetic, but ultimately it's just too unsurprisingly uninteresting.
            My Top Anime | Manga
            My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
            My FP Reviews | Twitter
            FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Re: Episode 2

Those girls I saw randomly walking by in the first segment seemed kind of important, then I think I spotted them in the OP. Heh, and speaking of the OP, it's amusing seeing their game-style job, equipment, and abilities. Yumine is a "Fujoshi Lv???" I think we can assume from the question marks that it's an extremely high level. I liked what we got of her this episode. She's rather defensive about Tama. Also love how she doesn't really think of the implications of Tama helping with her illustrator club artwork (in exchange for helping with Tama's SNS work). She's going to corrupt her poor friend.

We get to see a lot more of a cute side to Aya this time, as her and Tama are both rather mutually embarassed over revealing their work. I love how the sly attempt of Aya's to distract Tama and look anyway doesn't actually work. And seems like Aya really has a lot more to be embarrassed over with her work. And Shii is there to mercilessly rub it in. Those two are such a great pair. As far as Shii goes, poor girl really seems to have a hangup about people speaking ill of them. Again wondering if there's some incident behind stuff like that.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

Lol I did not expect these girls to be such an odd bunch. And I most certainly didn't expect Tama-chan to have a fetish for older men. But she's still pretty damn cute. Lol Shii was trying to ignore the two incoming girls but couldn't ignore them anymore since they came too close. And Ayame wrote ero stuff lol. Lol when Kayo was composing music and Yumi was getting weird background music.

I didn't expect this level of weirdness from these girls based on the first episode. And I'm really liking these girls now. The comedy is really hitting the right spots here. And Tama-chan's cuteness is a big bonus here. Thank you Silver Link for this cuteness.

Comment

Wow, another anime about cute girls making a video game? I'll take it. The buchou being stoic is an interesting change from the usual.
                  Avatar: Shimarin from Laid Back Camo.

Comment

Not much to say after New Game!, but hah, that ED. Someone remind me when was the last time an ED was so, 'er empty...this has to be the simplest, effortless ED I've seen in the longest time (though I can understand the reasoning that might be behind it). The song itself is mostly instrumental, other than a few lyrics at the beginning, though I'll guess the full-length is better since this music genre tends to have longer intro/lead-ins.

Comment

Episode 3

And that's how the story goes.

It's Golden Week, and the SNS Club decides to spend it at Tama's home in the countryside and work on the game's story. There, Tama learns how to use a drawing tablet seeing that she had been using her father's old desktop, and the story of how the SNS got started was explained. Then comes the story Aya wrote, and it's a rather quirky one, but nevertheless it got the stamp of approval. That was pretty funny to see how everybody reacted to the story as there were some pretty unconventional elements to it. Aya sure isn't afraid to go all out when it comes to storywriting.

So with that, the time is coming for me to pick which Monday show (although this change in airtime by Daisuki will make it no longer a Monday show) I keep for this season.
                      Last edited by Buckeye; 10-20-2016, 06:58 PM.

Comment

Re: Episode 3

Haha, I like how the demotivational image Shii conjures up is of her drunk adult self looking back on failures and commiserating. Shii takes no risks and prepares for everything. Not knowing if the wilderness awaits for her with Tama's house, she makes sure she has the equipment. Tama, self-conscious about her folksiness, seems to get a little defensive there. Nice to get a bit of a sweet side to Shii too, in addition to her quirks, with her explaining the surprise photo of Tama while she's working. Heartwarming to hear how her experience with the club evolved and how she wants everyone to have fun.

Grandma has seemed liked the sweet, friendly type from the start, and her friends get that as their initial impression too. But don't screw around! Grandma quickly turns to wrathful mode when she thinks the bamboo clacker is being played with.

I love how meta and weird Aya gets with her storytelling. So that was Kosugi Juurouta as the voice of the selection screen. It had to be one of those iconic commanding voices like him, "Erabe!" Nakata Jouji, Wakamoto Norio, Hayami Shou, etc.

I do tend to like when shows forego the ending credit sequence to give us more scenes. I think of that kind of thing more with a story-heavy show like Re:Zero, but even here it can be very nice. I started to wonder if Yumine was going be hypocritical in her objection to shipping Tama. Nah... she just wanted to take things further of course. :D
                        Last edited by EmperorBrandon; 10-20-2016, 07:09 PM.

Comment

This was amusing. They all go to Tama-chan's house for golden week so that Seki can finish the story for their game. And that was one seriously weird story lol. The characters are upset because the player left the game for too long lol. The girl suddenly reveals she has an incurable disease that lets her hear what other things are feeling. Lol that ending was so weird. And the personification of the select screen was lol. Tama-chan is happy at least lol.

Lol the granny. She is scary when she's pissed off. And Tama-chan has been introduced to the drawing tablet and she's having trouble drawing straight lines with it. Lol when she was fooling around. That was cute. And in the end, Seki shipping Shiina and Tama-chan lol.

Comment

Episode 4

Need some inspiration?

Several characters are introduced as Tama's classmates Marika and Natsu are close friends with her, while the former club president Teru drops by when Tama was feeling down. Then there are Aya's brothers Nobuhito and Haruma as the club drops by her house when Tama gets soaked in the rain fetching her sketchbook. Those new characters sure are enthusiastic, especially with Teru putting on the cat ears. And then seeing her drawings digitalized sure did get Tama fired up after she had been having a rough time. That was nice to see Tama meeting all these people who are pushing her forward in their own ways seeing that things haven't exactly been going well for her.

So with that, the time has come to make a decision on this show and I'm leaning towards keeping it.

Comment

Originally posted by EmperorBrandon View Post
                              I do tend to like when shows forego the ending credit sequence to give us more scenes. I think of that kind of thing more with a story-heavy show like Re:Zero, but even here it can be very nice.
                              I hope they continue to do it too, since it works better as a whole. The ED by itself seems so misplaced with a show like this, and for being so bland, it works better as a trailing sequence with the credits playing along with the last scenes. Would be funny if they decided to do that

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X