X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Fall 2016] Poco's Udon World Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    うどんの国の金色毛鞠

A show about the son of a noodle shop owner who ends up reopening his family's business after coming back home and finding a boy at the closed-down restaurant who happens to be a tanuki.

Airs: Saturday, October 8

Studio: Liden Films

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

Souta Tawara is a web designer working in Tokyo. When he visits his family's Udon place in his hometown Kagawa Prefecture, he discovers a young boy. Upon confronting the boy, Souta soon learns his secret and decides to quit his job in order to take care of the boy, Poko. The daily adventures of the two slowly enfold as Poco energetically navigates his way through Kagawa, the "Udon Kingdom," along with Souta.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Sitonai, Fate/Grand Order
    Watching: Utawarerumono: The False Faces, Galaxy Angel, Inou Battle
    Simulcasts: EES-2, HIQ-4, GKY-3, IMH-2, DUN-3, IOR-3, STW-3, A3A-2, INU-Y
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Use your noodles for once.

That was a fun way to start things off there as Poco is just acting so cute there. And it's easy to see why there's so much mischief in him as he happens to be a tanuki who can transform into a human. Souta's life has been pretty uneventful seeing that he grew up as the son of a restaurant owner, but the place has since closed down and the frequent customers miss his cooking. Thus, comes the opportunity for Souta to do something different to make others happy. It's off to a solid start so far, and that short at the end of the episode about Gaogao-chan is pretty amusing. Anyway, I'll keep on watching this, and I'll better know where it stands as far as my watchlist goes once I get another episode or two in as this show pretty much is a replacement for Sweetness and Lightning.
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

This was pretty good. It's the Amaama to Inazuma of Fall. Pretty similar stuff. The two will be bonding over food and Souta will give the kid the feeling of not being alone and loved by someone.

Souta's family runs and udon restaurant and they were pretty popular among the locals. But after his dad died they closed up and Souta is looking after the place for the time being. And he meets a mysterious kid who turns out to he a Tanuki. Souta sees himself in the kid as he was jumping around in his raincoat. And the thing the shrine guy said is going to have some effect on him as he'll be wanting to give the kid someone to make him not feel lonely. And apart from that, everyone was expecting some good udon but is getting disappointed one by one so he might consider opening up again especially considering he now has his father's recipe book.

The OP and ED were pretty cool. This was a pretty strong episode and I'm going to be continuing even though my Saturdays are looking quite full.
      My ReviewsMy MAL ProfileMy Anime List

Comment

Re: Episode 1

Has some similarities to some of the other series about men learning to raise little girls and the like, but it's a bit different with the girl not actually being human. Could still be okay depending on how things progress. We'll see how the balance is between the udon and the fantastical.
        My Top Anime | Manga
        My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
        My FP Reviews | Twitter
        FPR Episodes | Apple

Comment

Episode 2

His name is Poco.

Having been away from his hometown for so long that he decides to take a tour of the town with Poco, and he runs into his childhood friend Manabe, who is now a mother. Things sure have changed quite a lot with the AC in the light rail trains being the thing he notices the most. Poco and Nozomi sure are getting to know each other pretty well after they bumped into each other, and Manabe sees Poco as being Souta's son as well. Seeing those two kids interact is pretty cute.

So with that, I'll give this show the remainder of its trial period, and so far I have been really liking what I have seen so far. This certainly shaping up to be the feel-good show of the season.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

Heh, his place in the food chain is no consideration as far as Poco's love of Gaogao-chan is concerned. The old neighborhood woman is much more of a potential threat there.

I just love Nozomi's bratty annoyed facial expressions. But Poco was able to smooth things over with her so sweetly rather quickly. Hopefully there will be much more of them being a pair, as it's bound to bring more adorableness.

Comment

Even though the kid looks hardly cute as a tanuki, Souta still takes him in because he feels sorry for the kid who is all alone and is having a hard time just finding food. And he goes shopping for his clothes. I thought that he would find a friend of his in the city and he'd have to come up with an excuse for that. I didn't quite expect his first crush to be there with her kids lol. And he comes up with some random name right on the spot lol. And Nozomi immediately said that Poco's a weird name and sends the kid into depression lol. I liked how Poco was nice to Nozomi even though she wasn't at all. Poco is a good kid.

The time Souta is spending with Poco reminds him of his past. From good memories like those with his family to weird memories like those of his crush and how he got heartbroken after waving to her and then seeing her with her boyfriend, he is remembering quite some things. And people are, from time to time, mentioning his family's restaurant. I wonder when he'll start it up again if he will that is.

Comment

Adorable tanuki girl is adorable tanuki boy!

And it looks like it will mostly just be a story about raising a child and coming back to your hometown, with a bit of a twist. Poor Souta is sad enough just remembering his lost chance at love and then runs into her with his worst fears confirmed. Once he gets past that point, though, he can appreciate reuniting with old friends in adulthood and bonding with fellow parents, since that's essentially what he's become. Sure is cute. I wouldn't mind dispensing with the Gaogao-chan segments to get a little more content for the actual show, but it's fine. Still a good show.
                My Top Anime | Manga
                My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                My FP Reviews | Twitter
                FPR Episodes | Apple

Comment

Originally posted by GingaDaiuchuu View Post
                  I wouldn't mind dispensing with the Gaogao-chan segments to get a little more content for the actual show, but it's fine. Still a good show.
                  Mr. Hibbit all over again, eh?

It's a sweet show. But with some very assured stories in that similar vein this season of finding meaning at home or with adoptive family (Yuri on Ice, March...) this pales a little, or a lot, depending on the sequence. It has simpler aims than those shows, of course, or even than last season's Sweetness & Lightning, but it still feels a little more paint-by-number trying to establish Poco's presence, a progression of Poco & Rain Poncho!, Poco & Food!, Poco & Clothes Shopping! All fine, I like Yotsuba, too. But the weak link is Souta, too generic the prodigal son with no direction, still stuck on the past. He's not really anything, right now.

Maybe because this is also obviously a promotion Kagawa, it has that light weight feel of the Locodol version of "man returns home and is changed by a child" stories (for which there are more and more these days).
                  Avatar: Tsumugi, Sweetness & Lightning
                  TFP Forum Rules

Comment

Originally posted by bctaris View Post
                    Originally posted by GingaDaiuchuu View Post
                    I wouldn't mind dispensing with the Gaogao-chan segments to get a little more content for the actual show, but it's fine. Still a good show.
                    Mr. Hibbit all over again, eh?
                    Definitely my thought as well. And that was fun, but mostly because of its references to the story. This is fine, just a little less interesting so far.
                    My Top Anime | Manga
                    My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                    My FP Reviews | Twitter
                    FPR Episodes | Apple

Comment

Episode 3

Seek guidance from the lighthouse.

Souta meets up with another friend from his school days in Nakajima, who has gone on to be a doctor, as he comes to take Souta and Poco fishing in the middle of the night just like old times. They catch an octopus, while Nakajima is onto something about Poco. Then he is talking Souta into taking over the restaurant seeing that the house and restaurant hold quite a lot of memories. Seeing that the lighthouse is the focal point of this episode that I think that this is what convinces Souta to reopen the shop. Anyway, that was great to see Souta reconnecting with his friends like that seeing how crazy his life has become after meeting Poco.

So with that, I'm feeling pretty good about this show being in my watchlist for the season, but I have some sorting out to do before saying for sure if it does get in.

Comment

Re: Episode 3

This show definitely has more in common with Barakamon than any of the other similar shows. The major difference is of course that Souta is coming back home and remembering what this old life was like.

Fukuyama octopus definitely made me think of Koro-sensei. Could've been a reference or just a coincidence since he's already the narrator.
                        My Top Anime | Manga
                        My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                        My FP Reviews | Twitter
                        FPR Episodes | Apple

Comment

Re: Episode 3

Nakajima was a fun guy. "There's no patient at death's doorstep" lol. That's not what a doctor should be saying lol. But then again, it's a pretty valid reason to take things a bit lightly lol. I liked how he was swinging Poco around when he touched his car or whatever and then said that he would have swung him around if he had known Poco was a boy. How much would he have swung the kid around?

Thanks to Poco, Souta is coming to like his hometown again and is confused whether to sell the house and restaurant and go back to Tokyo or not. He is starting to remember all the good memories of his childhood and school days with being with Poco. And now I think that woman is Souta's sister who is now here and is seeing two grown men sleeping together with a kid.

That Gaogao thing was funny. A giant sunglasses wearing octopus shows out of nowhere and is about to use its slimy tentacles for something questionable lol. And the lighthouse fires an earth destroying cannon which is flicked away like it was nothing. And Gaogao is starting to like earth more.

Comment

Episode 4

As luck would have it...

Here comes Souta's sister Rinko and with Poco the three head out to Yashima shrine, a place where tanukis are worshipped. Souta drew a bad fortune, and it comes to fruition when Poco tried to cross that rickety bridge and got stuck in the middle of it. But Rinko was there for him, and disaster was averted. That was nice to get to know Rinko, and seeing that Souta has reconnected with a lot of people that it makes him question his life in Tokyo even more. He's almost convinced seeing he can't take Poco back with him to Tokyo, but he still has a lot to sort out.

So with that, this show has made the cut for the season. This is shaping up to be the feel-good show of the season that Sweetness and Lightning was last season.

Comment

Re: Episode 4

Heh, Aneki is a bit harder to convince with Souta's usual story than the others have been. She dug into it a little, asking just who the "friend" (Poco's supposed parent) is. Aneki is not good with kids, and it's something that kind of bothers her, and so rather moe about it. Interesting that point even played into the moment where the siblings reflect on their regrets over what they didn't do before dad passed away. It was sweet she did get to connect with Poco in a nice way after all in the end, even if I would have expected it.

Dang, the flashback and Souta's dad's voice had me realizing the Clannad voice connection goes so much deeper than I had figured. Souta is voiced by Nakamura Yuuichi, who immediately had me thinking of the parallels with Clannad and Sweetness and Lightning. Souta's sister has the voice of Nagisa. Their father has the same VA as Tomoya's father from Clannad, and their mother was voice of Nagisa's mother. Really wonder if they had thought of casting Koorogi Satomi as Poco. Heh. She is actually still active as of this season, with the new Chi's Sweet Home thing.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X