Widgets Magazine

Currently Watching (Fall 2016 Edition)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Fall 2016] Currently Watching (Fall 2016 Edition)

Widgets Magazine
    The temperatures are cooling down, but the anime lineup is still sizzling as ever. Now that the season has turned to fall, it's time to start another Currently Watching thread, this one for the Fall 2016 season.

The link to the Summer 2016 Edition
    Fall 2016 Anime Chart
    Fall 2016 Anime Lineup Thread

Note
    - Change the title of your post to reflect the contents.
    - Do not use the Reply to Thread button; instead, click quote on the post you wish to reply to, or on this post if you're starting a new subthread.
    - Edit down the quoted section to the relevant bits, nobody needs to read someone's epic list of watched stuff twice.
    - Be nice to one another.
    - Please discuss only what you are watching this season in this thread. Stuff watched during other seasons should be discussed in their respective threads.

Also, I'd like to add the following. The Currently Watching Thread is mainly meant for a general overview of how you're currently feeling about shows. It is not supposed to be a replacement for actual discussion threads. Try to keep heavier discussion (if possible) in the more specific discussion threads.

In addition, try to be careful of spoilers here. It's one thing if it's properly tagged and such. However, I don't want people to have to worry about someone randomly posting "Wow, X died in episode 17 of Y". Just a randomly made up example, but you get the idea.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Nene Yoshiro, Toilet-bound Hanako-kun
    Watching: Luck & Logic, Soul Link, Happiness, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FGO, MHA, MJN, CHF, HIQ, TOA-R, ISQ, YUC, YKN, IIV, EIZ, SET, IBG, SML, OBD, JSH, RKO, SRW, PMM, INS
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Buckeye's Fall 2016 Anime Viewership Plan

It's time that I begin to plan out my season as far as watching anime goes. It took quite awhile to get organized, but nevertheless I now have a plan in place even though it's just tentative as not only will I obviously not get to everything on this list, but I'll also be watching stuff that wasn't on this list. So with that, here's what I'm looking to watch this season.

From the Beginning
    ^Soul Eater NOT!
    ^Tokyo Ghoul (and Root A)
    ^Code Geass
    ^Aldnoah.Zero
    ^Log Horizon 2
    High School DxD Born
    Jojo's Bizarre Adventure
    Knights of Sidonia: Battle for Planet Nine
    Hiiro no Kakera
    Legend of the Legendary Heroes
    One Piece
    Future Card Buddyfight DDD

Continuing Shows
    Dragon Ball Z Kai (from episode 89)
    Eyeshield 21 (from episode 41)
    Fairy Tail (from episode 252)
    Hunter x Hunter (from episode 22)
    Kuromukuro (from episode 14)
    ^Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans (from episode 5)
    Naruto Shippuden (from episode 113)
    ^One Punch Man (from episode 11)
    Pokemon XYZ (from episode 31)
    Rurouni Kenshin (from episode 63)
    ^Your Lie in April (from episode 13)

With that, here is the link to the post on the anime lineup page to assess the preseason chances that I will watch each show: LINK

To start things out, I'm in the middle of watching Your Lie in April, so that will be the first thing checked off this to-watch list.
    Simulcasts: FGO, MHA, MJN, CHF, HIQ, TOA-R, ISQ, YUC, YKN, IIV, EIZ, SET, IBG, SML, OBD, JSH, RKO, SRW, PMM, INS
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Fall 2016 First Impressions

Look at this! Completely on time!

I've watched every episode of everything I haven't dropped and the first episode of everything I have unless otherwise noted. For those who read the regular discussion threads as well as the posts in these threads, note that I may be reusing some of my posts from those that I feel express my thoughts on a series well enough that there's no reason for me to make a point of saying something completely different.

New For Fall 2016:

01. Haikyuu!!: Karasuno Koukou VS Shiratorizawa Gakuen Koukou (A) Just six months after the last masterpiece of a season wrapped up, we're right back into it, and it's at its finest from the beginning. Easily and unsurprisingly the best thing airing, even at a mere ten episodes it's the greatest gift to have this season, and I'll be right back to hoping it returns as soon as possible once it ends, unless we've somehow already gotten a fourth season confirmation by then.
      02. Natsume Yuujinchou Go (A) This seems like something that should've been just as much of a given, but with nearly half a decade between the previous season of the series and the reins being handed to Shuka, a studio that has decreased production quality of the Durarara!! sequels and had some arguably even bigger troubles with its first non-sequel 91 Days just last season, I didn't want to get my hopes too high up only to be crushed with disappointment. I'm knocking on wood, but so far, so good; while I honestly never expected to see more Natsume anime given how long it has been, this feels like it's continuing on just as naturally as any of the seasons with much less time in between and with the same studio behind them. Most importantly, the source material continues to get stronger, and there's so much emotion invested in Natsume's character from the past four seasons that knowing we'll keep delving more deeply into those themes is immensely exciting.
      03. Yuri!!! on Ice (B+) A completely new anime original by the lauded Sayo Yamamoto, this is her first work that has truly wowed me. MAPPA's animation for the skating sequences is phenomenal, and the choreography is especially impressive. The character designs are also very familiar due to coming from the same designer as Kiseijuu, who apparently has quite a distinctive style. As with any great sports anime, the only thing more important than the animation is the cast of characters and how much you care about watching them grow and succeed. The three leads of this series are greatly varied, creating entertaining dynamics within a somewhat tense environment that will inevitably be the best thing for all of them. And in case you had never heard of this series and are still confused, the two main characters are males named Yuri. If there are any undertones to speak of, they're of the yaoi variety.
      04. Bungou Stray Dogs 2nd Season (B+) The first season of Bungou Stray Dogs was fine but never anything more. With a second season planned from the beginning and some solid buildup to bigger things around the end of the first, the hope was certainly that the sequel would be where it got much better. That's true, but not at all in the way I would've expected. Without any transition, this season is thus far a flashback to when Dazai was working for the main villains. He stars alongside his former associates who we had never heard of, with the focus entirely on this criminal organization and no trace of any of the other protagonists from the first season, including the actual main character. The lack of any of that even in the OP implies that this may in fact be the case for the whole second season, which is beyond bizarre. But these characters, this plot, and the much richer atmosphere are all far better than anything from the first season, so I really don't care if the story doesn't technically progress in the anime, as strange an idea as it seems. Oh, and of course Iwasaki's music is on point, shifting its tone to match and benefit this very different season.
      05. Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans 2nd Season (B) Ah, so glad we get the full four cours I figured we would from the start. No Gundam universe feels fully realized without at least that much. This second season is showing definite improvement from the start, so it could be on the level of 00 if all goes well. I'm not going to even think it could match the UC OVAs of this decade, but 00 is a fine goal to aim for. The first OP song of the series is still such a memorable anthem that it's hard to top in some ways, but SPYAIR is one of my favorite anisong artists, so I'm glad to have them. GRANRODEO for the ED song is also welcome.
      06. 3-gatsu no Lion (B-) For a Shaft show, it's honestly a lot subtler than it could've been, but it definitely has its stylistic idiosyncrasies. Many minutes go by without any dialogue or action, just the protagonist floating through his life as a young shogi pro, and then there will be a drastic juxtaposition to that when the sisters he stays with are in the picture, with high energy and loud, fast talking chaotically coming in from all sides. How well the storytelling will really play out within this structure largely remains to be seen, but with slick Shaft animation and Umino's very recognizable artwork, it's worth checking out at least.
      07. Watashi ga Motete Dousunda (B-) Even though this is a silly comedy through and through, the premise does rub me the wrong way a bit. The protagonist accidentally transforms from an obese fujoshi to a model beauty who doesn't look remotely similar in any way from staying in her bed and refusing to eat anything for a few days, which inspires all of the hot guys in her class who would mock her for being fat to instantly treat her like a princess and try to get with her. However, while that is a little hard to get past, doing so leads to very funny comedy with the main theme being that our protagonist would rather these boys become intimate with each other than any of them do anything of the sort with her. I was also worried that she would be hiding her true passion from them longer than just the first episode because she didn't want them to know she was a nerd, but thankfully she's a die-hard who can't resist a great limited edition, so her secret is out and the boys are accepting, even if their reasons are as vain as their change of heart in the first place. Clearly most of this is not meant to be thought about this much and we're just supposed to appreciate the jokes, but it's not that simple. Still, the strength and majority of the rest of the humor makes up for these relatively minor misgivings to net a positive in the end.
      08. Drifters (B-) From the creator of the Hellsing series and much of the team behind its OVA adaptation Hellsing Ultimate, this has been one of the most hyped shows of the season, but first impressions aren't what one would hope. The use of famous warriors from all throughout history is an interesting concept especially if you're familiar with any of their backgrounds, but there hasn't been much to inspire more confidence so far. A lot of time is spent with comedy, in fact, which generally doesn't work with the serious nature of what's going on. Visually the similarities to Hellsing Ultimate feel welcoming (in that familiarly gruesome way), but the animation production is fairly average. There's a ton of potential lying in this, so I really hope it makes the most of it.
      09. Udon no Kuni no Kiniro Kemari (B-) With some similarities to some of the other series about men learning to raise little girls and the like, this is a bit different with its fantastical element. The balance between that and the focus on cooking udon will shape how well the series turns out, but at least it can be said that it's very cute.
      10. Shuumatsu no Izetta (B-) An alternate WWII in an alternate Europe is the setting of this series most notable for featuring its titular witch riding atop a giant flying... gun. The fetishistic implications of that imagery are not unfounded, as further evidenced by the general amount of nudity depicted for the character, but there are some chances of strong characterization for her and the other lead. The plot could lose my interest at any moment, but I suppose I'm remaining curious enough for right now. It's also quite pretty for a studio I've never heard of, and now that I've seen BUNBUN's character designs, I can certainly see why everyone is sure he is the same person as Sword Art Online artist abec despite claims to the contrary.

Dropped:

11. Flip Flappers (C+) Without a doubt, this show is full of spectacularly creative visuals. But after a full episode, I still have no idea what it's about or what happened at all. That doesn't mean it might not have a great story behind it all down the line, but without any kind of indication in all that colorful insanity, I'm not compelled to stick around.
      12. Gi(a)rlish Number (C+) Oregairu creator Watari is as cynical as ever, this time directing his attention to the seiyuu industry. It's a concept that really should grab me, but it turns out that hating every character doesn't really want to make me watch an entire series, even if that's the point. In theory I could really like such a show, so perhaps if I hear it gets a lot better I'll come back to it.
      13. Keijo!!!!!!!! (C+) It's that show where the girls fight with their butts! Yep, this is of those shamelessly ridiculous ecchi shows that is always laughing at itself along with you. That works for temporary novelty, but investing in an entire series about characters battling in this fanservice sport stops being a joke after a while and just becomes a waste of time.
      14. All Out!! (C+) Madhouse being involved is always an exciting prospect for a series, but being the secondary studio to TMS means it's not the animation quality that tops the industry. It still looks good enough, but the characters aren't interesting enough and the pacing doesn't move as naturally as it needs to for this to be a great sports anime.
      15. Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku (C) Every so often another dark, violent magical girl show has to pop up. This one does seem a little more thoughtful than most, although the first episode almost only shows the light, pleasant side of the magical girl world, but where it's heading is unlikely to be more than cute girls getting more brutal with each other than classic tropes would stand for, which isn't special anymore. I do like that a boy who loves magical girls got to be one as well, though.
      16. Nanbaka (C) It was nice to hear Tomokazu Seki as the main antagonist, but there's little more to this show than wacky comedy, and it becomes a little too overbearing in all its bright, sparkly glory. Some of it is admittedly funny, but not nearly enough to watch a show entirely comprised of goofiness.
      17. Trickster: Edogawa Ranpo "Shounen Tanteidan" yori (C) Edogawa has been used in anime quite a bit, this being the latest example. His stories seem to have the intrigue to make them worth using for anime like this and Ranpo Kitan, but both have problems with executing them and this comes across as fan fiction using elements from established stories that don't necessarily back up the original themes being introduced.
      18. Magic-Kyun! Renaissance (C) Sunrise's production quality gives some reasons to watch this, but all of these otome game adaptations are so impossible to take seriously. This one works with some of its inherent humor better than some, but it still ends up becoming cliche and over-dramatic even in its light moments.
      19. Stella no Mahou (C) Of the cute girls shows this season, this is one of the better ones for its potentially interesting plot of a video game-making club and solid production for its soft aesthetic, but as with the others, it's about the girls being cute far more than it's about anything else, and that becomes boring and disappointing quickly.
      20. Shakunetsu no Takkyuu Musume (C-) It's unfair to compare this to Ping Pong just for being about the same game since the styles and purposes are so different, but it does make me think about how much I can care about characters and results revolving around a game that isn't generally taken that seriously, and how much I didn't experience any of that watching this. Naturally the visuals are nowhere near as artistic, but that's not something that should be expected.
      21. Occultic;Nine (C-) It has been over five years since Steins;Gate ended and took its place as one of the greatest of all time (still sitting at that #2 position on my list), so every time something new comes along with some connection to it, I really want to believe it can at least be good. This one isn't technically part of the Science Adventure series, but that's only because it didn't start as a visual novel, so it's still as tangentially connected as any of the ones that are. The last one we got was Robotics;Notes four years ago, and that was disappointing enough but nearly watchable. After all this, we get another one, and it's by the same studio, director, and composer as Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso. Yet somehow it's as bad as Chaos;Head, which came before Steins;Gate gave the metaseries any reason to be cared about. Clearly this suffers from the same fate of desperately needing more time to adapt its material, because it's just as much of a rushed mess. And hey, that was by Madhouse of all studios, though you'd never guess it by looking at it. This is a somewhat similar situation; while the art style and fluidity of motion (mostly used for disgustingly enormous boobs bouncing) is plenty strong, the line art is so dull that it looks like a much lower resolution than it is. And as with Chaos;Head, the Kanako Itou OP is the best part. Just Chaos;Child next season left to see if there's any salvaging of this semicolon saga outside of Steins;Gate. Considering that's literally just the sequel to Chaos;Head, I'm just going to say I'm done with hoping.
      22. To Be Hero (C-) I've never been a fan of bathroom humor, so an anime about a guy who becomes an ugly "superhero" from being sucked into a toilet was never going to have much of a chance for me. The daughter character does provide some decent commentary to go along with it, but it's also a low-quality production and the protagonist is a general scumbag.
      23. Tiger Mask W (C-) I haven't seen any Tiger Mask prior to this one, but even without any existing relationship with the franchise, it's easy to see that this is another throwaway Toei show that wouldn't be inherently bad if treated with care but is instead slapped together to put something on TV and profit off a known title.
      24. Ninja Girl & Samurai Master (C-) For a three-minute show, this wasn't as terrible as the norm. There are some clever little jokes in there, but with essentially no time to do anything else and a budget that would allow for maybe a minute of solid animation, it can't operate as a series truly worth watching anyway.
      25. Soushin Shoujo Matoi (C-) White Fox's first original, it's neither original in any other sense of the word nor something with animation production worth referencing to represent a studio. The story isn't bad, just bland and generic, and the comedy occasionally deserves a light chuckle but more often than not flops and is occasionally even annoying or creepy.
      26. Long Riders! (C-) This is analogous to Yowamushi Pedal by the same superficial metric as this season's ping pong show is analogous to Ping Pong (I didn't set out to make a meta-analogy, but here we are). Honestly it reminded me a lot more of Bakuon!!, which is not something that makes me want to watch any more.
      27. Bloodivores (D+) If that title makes you think this is an embarrassing attempt at an edgy vampire anime, you're right on the money. We had a similar case with zombies recently in Hitori no Shita: The Outcast, and it's no shock that the same companies are behind both. It's another horror-themed story with sloppy execution both in storytelling and visual merit.
      28. Touken Ranbu: Hanamaru (D+) Based on a free-to-play collectible card browser video game and that's not too surprising. It's pretty clearly about "collecting" your bishounen versions of historical swords more than it's actually about exploring samurai history. The most interesting thing is that an unrelated adaptation of the property will be produced by ufotable next year, which at least implies that it will be entirely prettier than this has any right to be.
      29. Cheating Craft (D+) For a moment, it almost seemed like this might be a little more watchable, but when the first episode finally gets to its point (at the very end), it's just an extremely over-the-top comedy that destroys any chance of taking it seriously and doesn't have a premise capable of sustaining itself for a full series.
      30. Nyanbo! (D+) The first "anime" related to Yotsuba to! is a CG-over-live-action short about cat versions of the cardboard box a character from the manga wears to make the protagonist think she's a robot. What a world. The entertainment value is more or less equivalent to cat videos on YouTube, so if that's your thing, go for it.
      31. ClassicaLoid (D+) The idea of a Sunrise original dedicated to the greatest classical composers of history and their finest works sounds very appealing, but the music and some of the animation are the only good things in a series of just pure idiotic nonsense. And it's such a shame, because having all those classical masterpieces front and center is such a treat...
      32. Monster Hunter Stories: Ride On (D+) If anyone expected this to be more than a cheap, shallow commercial to get kids to make their parents buy them the new Monster Hunter game, they're going to be sorely let down. Perhaps there's a chance that franchise could be adapted into a decent anime, but they sure didn't make any effort here.
      33. Soul Buster (D) Probably the winner of "most generic-sounding fantasy anime title of the season" and its content isn't at odds with the assumptions based on that title. Magical warriors based on Romance of the Three Kingdoms coming out of cards and fighting with cut-rate animation. Yep, it's some real tepid schlock.
      34. Dream Festival! (D) There aren't any idol shows of either gender that I really love, but the male idol side seems to have a higher percentage of really awful shows. Somehow cute boy shows are almost invariably way more obnoxious and insipid when they're not just hanging out, but also idols. It doesn't help that you have to watch gross CG performances either.
      35. Kiitarou Shounen no Youkai Enikki (D) This appears to be a three-minute show that wasn't told it was a three-minute show, because it tries to have relatively normal pacing, and then just has to end without anything actually having happened. Which is a shame, because that pacing was okay, but it makes for a much more awkward aftertaste.
      36. Bernard-jou Iwaku. (D) Three minutes of main girl very quickly dropping references to a bunch of literature to hopefully make some people enjoy it just from being familiar with what's being mentioned. And I can understand falling for it on some level. But yeah, not much more to it.
      37. Gakuen Handsome (D-) I honestly have no idea what the point of this show is, even more than most shorts. It appears to literally just be the joke of all the characters who are supposed to be handsome having even more hideous designs than the rest of the characters in this ugly world. But it's not really a joke that's brought up in the series proper, so it's hard to say.
      38. Kaijuu Girls: Ultra Kaijuu Gijinka Keikaku (D-) Chibi moe anthropomorphized kaijuu. That's basically it. If you just can't get enough of famous kaijuu... probably still don't bother. It's pretty mindless no matter how you look at it.
      39. SENGOKUCHOJYUGIGA (D-) Apparently someone must think that anyone likes improv anime, or at least the people making it figure that someone will watch it and it sure beats writing a script. It's not the most painful out there, that's for sure. But man, that is not saying much.
      40. Time Bokan 24 (F) There are so many kids' shows out there that have some quality to their writing. There is no reasonable excuse for making "comedy" be so inane, so offensively unfunny. But that's what this is, and they're dragging Tatsunoko classics through this shit, just in case Peeping Life wasn't bad enough.
      41. Heybot! (F) The plot is literally about how asinine the characters can be. The endless fart jokes aren't even as bad as the places this goes. An even worse attempt to make kids' humor as stupid as possible. It's really quite disgusting to think about the amount of time and resources put into crafting such pure garbage.
      42. Nazotokine (F) For a moment this seemed like it actually wanted to have a plot, but I have no idea why it bothered, because once it abruptly turned into a nonsensical puzzle game it discarded all story connection it had as well as any attempts to appear to be legitimately animated. It's highly off-putting to see it so drastically cease to be a narrative in any fashion.
      43. Ao Oni The Animation (F) Apparently the monster is a character from some horror game, but the worst part of this isn't that it was made with four yen or that it has no plot. It's that it thinks it's being clever and funny just by having this weird creature kill the cast.

I knew that I'd have at least one sequel that would be top-tier, and the other one didn't disappoint either, so at least I have that going for me this season. There are some good possibilities in the new shows as well, so we'll see how that all plays out.

Everything I'm Watching:

Here's everything, including everything listed above. This is here to show the overall ranking (and movement for end-of-season posts) of everything in relation to everything else.

01. Haikyuu!!: Karasuno Koukou VS Shiratorizawa Gakuen Koukou (A)
      02. Natsume Yuujinchou Go (A)
      03. One Piece (A-)
      04. JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken: Diamond wa Kudakenai (A-)
      05. Detective Conan (B+)
      06. Dragon Ball Super (B+)
      07. Yuri!!! on Ice (B+)
      08. Bungou Stray Dogs 2nd Season (B+)
      09. Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans 2nd Season (B)
      10. Naruto: Shippuuden (B)
      11. 3-gatsu no Lion (B-)
      12. Watashi ga Motete Dousunda (B-)
      13. Drifters (B-)
      14. Udon no Kuni no Kiniro Kemari (B-)
      15. Shuumatsu no Izetta (B-)

Dropped:

16. Flip Flappers (C+)
      17. Gi(a)rlish Number (C+)
      18. Keijo!!!!!!!! (C+)
      19. All Out!! (C+)
      20. Mahou Shoujo Ikusei Keikaku (C)
      21. Nanbaka (C)
      22. Trickster: Edogawa Ranpo "Shounen Tanteidan" yori (C)
      23. Magic-Kyun! Renaissance (C)
      24. Stella no Mahou (C)
      25. Shakunetsu no Takkyuu Musume (C-)
      26. Occultic;Nine (C-)
      27. To Be Hero (C-)
      28. Tiger Mask W (C-)
      29. Ninja Girl & Samurai Master (C-)
      30. Soushin Shoujo Matoi (C-)
      31. Long Riders! (C-)
      32. Bloodivores (D+)
      33. Touken Ranbu: Hanamaru (D+)
      34. Cheating Craft (D+)
      35. Nyanbo! (D+)
      36. ClassicaLoid (D+)
      37. Monster Hunter Stories: Ride On (D+)
      38. Soul Buster (D)
      39. Dream Festival! (D)
      40. Kiitarou Shounen no Youkai Enikki (D)
      41. Bernard-jou Iwaku. (D)
      42. Gakuen Handsome (D-)
      43. Kaijuu Girls: Ultra Kaijuu Gijinka Keikaku (D-)
      44. SENGOKUCHOJYUGIGA (D-)
      45. Time Bokan 24 (F)
      46. Heybot! (F)
      47. Nazotokine (F)
      48. Ao Oni The Animation (F)

Weekly Schedule:

Sunday (2): Dragon Ball Super, Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans 2nd Season
      Monday (0):
      Tuesday (1): Natsume Yuujinchou Go
      Wednesday (3): Detective Conan, Yuri!!! on Ice, Bungou Stray Dogs 2nd Season
      Thursday (1): Naruto: Shippuuden
      Friday (3): Haikyuu!!: Karasuno Koukou VS Shiratorizawa Gakuen Koukou, JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken: Diamond wa Kudakenai, Drifters
      Saturday (5): One Piece, 3-gatsu no Lion, Watashi ga Motete Dousunda, Udon no Kuni no Kiniro Kemari, Shuumatsu no Izetta

Interestingly, this is the highest count of new shows for a new season for me, the highest count of total shows I watched at once, and also the lowest count of shows I'm sticking with at the beginning of a season. That works for me, especially since I managed to get this out on time.
      My Top Anime | Manga
      My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
      My FP Reviews | Twitter
      FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Re: Currently Watching (Fall 2016 Edition)

13. Keijo!!!!!!!! (C+) It's that show where the girls fight with their butts! Yep, this is of those shamelessly ridiculous ecchi shows that is always laughing at itself along with you. That works for temporary novelty, but investing in an entire series about characters battling in this fanservice sport stops being a joke after a while and just becomes a waste of time.
        Not even close to there for me. This is still silly, stupid (of the intelligent variety) fun. It keeps me laughing and/or smiling.
        My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
        1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
        2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
        3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

Buckeye's Fall 2016 Anime Viewership Plan: First Impressions

With the exception of one show (The Great Passage, which for some reason isn't up on Amazon at this time), I have watched at least two episodes of every show that has a realistic shot of making the cut for this season's watchlist. So with that, I do my first impressions once again. As usual, they are separated into three categories that denote the likelihood that I'll be watching this show. In the past, I have used Probable, Questionable, and Doubtful, but this time I decided to change that up. So instead, I'm replacing them with Red Zone, Midfield, and Own 20 to indicate how much further a show goes before getting into the end zone for a touchdown, and a spot on my watchlist. But the meanings are still the same as shows in the first list mean I have pretty much decided to watch them and unless the bottom falls out those shows will make the cut, the second list means I'm still deciding and I'm currently not strongly leaning one way or the other, and the third list means either I have dropped the show or if I haven't yet, it will have to blow me away in the next episode or two for me to consider watching it.

Red Zone
          [PSI] The Disastrous Life of Saiki K. - Continuing from the summer
          [R3S] Regalia: The Three Sacred Stars - Continuing from the summer
          [HIQ-3] Haikyuu!! Season 3 - This show picks up right where it left off, and continues to do what it has done so well during volleyball action as it's the golden standard of how sports anime is to be done.
          [MSG-IBO2] Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans season 2 - After ending the first season on such a high note, the second season so far has followed things up nicely in setting the stage for big things to go down. The one things this show does better than the traditional Gundam show is that the plot doesn't become overly complicated to the point where it becomes too hard to follow, and it starts of just like that.
          [EUP-2] Sound! Euphonium 2 - The character development and friendship bonds continue, and it's great to see the show continue to do what it has done best.
          [SBR-2] Show by Rock!! # - This show continues to be what made the first season so charming. The story and music is improved over the first season so far, so it's all good.
          [UPR-4] Uta no Prince-sama: Magi Love Legend Star - This is pretty much a continuation of the third season given the way it ended. The formula is essentially the same as the second and third seasons with two episodes to outline what will happen this season, then seven episodes to showcase an idol subgroup, and then the leadup to the big concert in the end. So far, it has done a nice job in setting the stage for the new band to get some great focus.
          [YOI] Yuri!!! on Ice - This show has been very impressive as it does everything right in setting the stage for a downtrodden figure skater to get over the hump. It utilizes all of the individual elements nicely from the comedy, the skating, the music, and the artwork to put together one of this season's best.
          [NBK] Nanbaka - This show is all about the comedy as it's very hilarious. It has me laughing pretty hard seeing those boys doing stupid things. While the story concept sets itself up to be repetitive, it still is nice to see all of the slapstick stuff going down.
          [3GL] March Comes in Like a Lion - While Shaft will always make their shows stand out, this one does just about everything right utilizing their signature style when the situation calls for it. But above all, this show has a well-constructed story so far, and I really like the chemistry buildup between Rei and the Kawamoto sisters, as well as other shogi players.
          [IZT] Izetta: The Last Witch - This show has a very strong foundation an interesting story and a great main cast . So far, this show has been nicely constructed with just the right amount of info dumping that leads to some pretty good drama to go down.
          [FLF] Flip Flappers - While this show as nothing of a story so far, the visuals and the thrills of the adventures have really been enjoyable. I hope that a good story comes later, but for now it's all of those attention-grabbing aspects that have stood out in a great way.
          [NYB] Nyanbo! (short) - It's a short about cats from another planet made from boxes, and it's cute and amusing. While it is not exactly an anime show as the real world is used as the background, it is an enjoyable short for its length.
          [NBS] Ninja Girl and Samurai Master (short) - The MC is cute and the interactions are pretty amusing, which is enough for me when it comes to shorts.
          [TEQ-8] Teekyu 8 (short) - Nothing has changed about this show, which is a good thing seeing that the fast-talking nature of this show is what stands out.
          [KYE] Kiitaro's Yokai Picture Diary (short) - The characters are a pretty interesting bunch, and while it messes around, at least it does so with some substance behind it.
          [MBS] Miss Bernard Said. (short) - I really like the comedy in these shorts with the references and the fast talking (though nowhere near Teekyu fast, but still faster than average). The characters themselves are pretty amusing to see interacting with each other, which makes for a nice way to spend a few minutes each week.

Midfield
          [TSX] Twin Star Exorcists - While I am inclined to continue watching this show having finished the first two out of four cours already, this show has been going downhill with some pretty badly written filler material. Still, I like the action and the chemistry of the leads, but at the same time the show is starting to get repetitive as it's in the middle of a filler arc.
          [MOS] Magic of Stella - While the whole concept of cute girls in a club to do a certain activity has been done time and again, this one does a solid job in building chemistry between the characters to make for what should be a fun show.
          [DRF] Drifters - As this is by the same person who did Hellsing that this show has been bloody great. The story has been engaging and nicely set up, but the artwork just feels a step down from what I got from Hellsing Ultimate. I enjoyed Hellsing, so it's something that's pretty high on my interest.
          [WIX-L] Lostorage Incited WIXOSS - This is a different take on the game of WIXOSS, and so far it has gotten straight to the psychological consequences with a few changes to the card game itself. The show is still in setup mode, but it figures to be interesting and mysterious much like with the Selector series.
          [WMD] Kiss Him, Not Me - This show has been really funny and entertaining as the comedy is great while a decent story is building up.
          [MRP] Magical Girl Raising Project - This whole concept of magical girls killing each other in a survival game is a concept that has lots of potential. The show's story moves really slow in its setup, but it figures to be really engaging once the show goes into a full-blown battle for survival.
          [UKK] Poco's Udon World - This is a nice, relaxing show that does a great job at being laid back focusing on the relationship between the MC and his adopted taunki son. Not much stands out of the ordinary for shows like this, but for what the show is about, it does everything right to that end.
          [TKR-H] Touken Ranbu: Hanamaru - The show has interesting characters and nice comedy, but the story and construction of each episode is simply repetitive and messy. Still, the boys are a fun bunch and the show is entertaining to watch.
          [GAN] Girlish Number - This show does a nice job in making the characters believable in the seiyuu industry all while the comedy is pretty good. Still, this show has some issues with the biggest one being the annoying characters.
          [STW-B] Brave Witches - It's pretty much like Strike Witches, except that it's more story-focused and so far has less blatant fanservice. While it is good that it made telling the story a bigger priority, the story concept is pretty cliched with the only the franchise's gimmick setting itself apart.
          [KEJ] Keijo!!!!!!!! - While this show has most stupid concept that I have come across, it does make use of its concept well to produce some great humor. But there's only so much I can handle as the show's gimmick is starting to become ridiculously overdone.
          [FNA] The Great Passage - I'm looking forward to checking this out, but at this time it's not up on Amazon (and after they came out and said that for some reason they don't have it, this looks like it will automatically be DQ'd).
          [CCF] Cheating Craft (half) - The show has an interesting concept at the very least, but overall it's pretty lackluster as I have come to expect out of shows with Chinese roots.

Own 20
          [OC9] Occultic;Nine - Despite being from the same line of shows that Steins;Gate is a part of, this show has just been all over the place. Add to it crappy animation quality and a story that makes little sense and it's shaping up to be much more on the level of Chaos;Head than Steins;Gate.
          [MQR] Magic-kyun! Renaissance - While better than the standard otome game adaptation, a genre that has a poor track record, it still suffers from cliched writing. That said, it does a solid job with character development and bringing a new concept to the table so far, but nowhere near the level needed to stand out.
          [TRX] Trickster - The show looks solid on a technical level with a well-intended story concept, but the plot has been boring and unimaginative. The story jumps into things way too quickly before the characters get sufficient development.
          [TQM] Scorching Ping Pong Girls - The gaming action is intense and nice to watch, but the other stuff is simply fluff that has been uused time and again not really bringing anything worth watching. The characters are a pretty uninetersting bunch as well.
          [MSS] Matoi the Sacred Slayer - The show has been entertaining and amusing with Matoi trying to deal with being a magical girl and the action, but the story just isn't clicking. There are just too much unnecessary sidetracks.
          [AOU] All Out!! - While the story is sound in structure, it's lagging in execution as the foundation wasn't exactly laid out well. It's pretty good stuff as it has potential to turn into something great, but for a sports anime I expected a lot more. Seeing that I have lots of other sports anime to watch that I'm just not feeling engaged enough.
          [CLL] Classicaloid - I'll give the creators credit for the concept to utilize classical music as the basis for this show, but it can only carry this show so far. The music has been nice and the humor has provided some nice moments, but overall I'm getting bored pretty quickly with the jokes starting to become stale.
          [MHR] Monster Hunter Stories: Ride On - It's a kid's show, and while the show has an interesting premise, I just don't really care much for it.
          [DRF] Dream Festival - Just another fujoshi bait show where the story is totally uninteresting and nothing really new is brought to the table aside from the use of cards to change outfits on stage.
          [BLV] Bloodivores - The story concept is interesting, but the animation is ugly and the story just has too many problems execution problems. Not to mention, the characters could have been interesting but have been presented in a way that I don't care much for.
          [TBK-24] Time Bokan 24 - This show had some entertainment value at the beginning, but this show has become repetitive and the humor has quickly worn off.
          [HEY] Heybot - It's just a kids show, and a boring one at that.
          [SLB] Soul Buster (half) - This show has some decent moments with the whole background about the generals and stuff, but overall it just fails to capture my interest. I am especially turned off by the style of artwork being used.
          [TBH] To Be Hero (half) - Totally gross and offensive. The humor just fails in a big way doing nothing but frustrate me to no end.
          [KJG] Kaiju Girls (short) - This short has a decent story concept, but overall it's just a gimmicky show, and the animation style just doesn't click for me.
          [NZT] Nazotokine (short) - This show has puzzles, a girl, and absolutely no substance. For a brief moment of amusement, there's just too much uninteresting stuff going on.
          [GKH] Gakuen Handsome (short) - Those pointy chins are pretty much a sign that this show wasn't for me, and indeed there was just nothing for me to watch in this short.
          [AOO] Ao Oni (short) - The animation is simply ugly and too much of an eye sore. There's not much to see in this.
          [SCG] Sengoku Chojyu Giga (short) - Totally ugly with that style of animation. Just not for me at all.

At this point, 12 out of 18 spots are accounted for if I do lock in those shows from the first list in with 6 more spots to fill among the shows with standard-length episodes between 11 shows with the possibility of adding up to two more if I can't decide. Since Saiki Kusuo is finishing up by the time I have my slate finalized that it won't count against the limit. I have one slot set aside for a Monday and a Tuesday show as those days don't really have much to offer, and in keeping with my routine of including at least one show a day that they will have just the minimum. Unless crazy things happen, Stella will get that Monday slot as I'm far more invested in that show than the other, while Nanbaka gets the Tuesday one due mostly to Matoi requiring another subscription to watch the same day, and with that show being the only reason to subscribe to TAN or Hulu that it gets a shorter leash than usual. As usual, the trial period is four episodes while I give up to two shows an extended trial period of six episode, and most of my decisions to drop stuff come after three episodes.
          Last edited by Buckeye; 10-24-2016, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Post-Simulcast Report: October 1-15

The first 15 days of the fall season have come and gone, so here is my first post-simulcast report for the season. Like always, I include everything that's past its broadcast period here, and it will include simulcasts that have concluded, but with its review coming at the end of the season simulcast review post. As usual, all shows are watched for the first time unless denoted by the ^ symbol to indicate a show being rewatched.

Completed

I've Always Liked You (movie): B
            While this movie is the typical high school romance seen an awful lot in anime, it does a nice job in building up the MC who is a tomboy and has been using boys as mere practice for her true romance, and that causes problems for everybody. The development is nothing too out of the ordinary, but it nevertheless does a great job making everybody better towards the end of the movie and doing so in a manner that doesn't leave many plot holes.

^Your Lie in April (13-22): A+
            This is just an amazing show from start to finish. The first half was a bit on the slow side and it didn't look like it would be the masterpiece it is. But the second half is where this show earns its masterpiece status as the problems hit much closer to the MC and he uses this opportunity to grow up in unimaginable ways. And the final episode is totally emotional and heartfelt, and nicely done to show how much a better person the MC has become. In all, everything is great about the show from the animation, the characters, the music, and especially the plot that's smartly constructed and brilliantly executed.

^One Punch Man (11-12): A+
            While the show starts out being a simple and gimmicky concept, it ends up being something that will make you wanting more. The characters are great, the comedy is really funny, the villains are a hilarious bunch, the action is awesome, the animation is top notch as expected out of Madhouse, and best of all it does an excellent job in handling OP characters as many shows tend to misuse them. It's always a treat to watch, and I look forward to the second season.

^Soul Eater NOT! (1-12): C+
            As this is a spinoff that's very different from the original Soul Eater series that expectations for this show are quite different as it's more of a slice-of-life than an action show. The characters are a fun, likable bunch, and the comedy is solid. However, this show's story is pretty non-existent as there's a problem going on and it really doesn't address it until it's too late where at that point, it was just a mad rush to the end. That said, it's a whole lot of fun that is satisfying for Soul Eater fans, but doesn't exactly offer much to everybody else.

Ongoing

[DBZ-K] Dragon Ball Z Kai (86-88)
            [E21] Eyeshield 21 (41-44)
            ^[MSG-IBO] Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans (5-8)
            ^[TGL] Tokyo Ghoul (1-9)

Dropped

Nothing

Comment

Post-Simulcast Report: October 16-31

Now that the calendar has turned to November, that means it's time for another post-simulcast report, this being the second of six such semi-monthly reports. Like always, I give my reviews for shows that I finish watching, while just reporting episode numbers for shows that are ongoing.

Completed

^Tokyo Ghoul (10-12): B+
              This show has a well thought-out story concept that makes for some really great psychological warfare in a show where ghouls must eat human flesh to survive, and the MC is caught in the middle of the conflict as he was born a human and became a ghoul due to a life-saving surgical procedure. The first eight episodes are just spot on and perfectly handling this emotional roller coaster that the MC struggles to deal with, and while this show is a horror, that aspect is generally deemphasized to allow for a quality story to develop. The one thing this season does terribly wrong is that the Aogiri arc to end this season was rushed and that led to an ending with an episode that shouldn't be ending a season, which keeps it from being among the elites.

^Tokyo Ghoul Root A (1-12): C+
              While the show continues to excel in the concept department, this season just doesn't leave much of an impact as the first. The MC's portrayal siding with the enemy to get stronger just is poorly thought-out, all while the story leaves much to be desired. That said, this show does a great job with the action and the storywriting for the other important characters, all while the show comes to a resolution of sorts. That said, it's the bad character development for the MC that totally ruins this season as this season is anime-original.

Ongoing

[DBZ-K] Dragon Ball Z Kai (89-90)
              ^[ESF] Escaflowne (1-8)
              [E21] Eyeshield 21 (45-70)
              [HXH] Hunter x Hunter 2011 (22-24)
              [JBA] Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (1-2)
              ^[MSG-IBO] Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans (9-10)
              [PKM-XYZ] Pokemon XYZ (31-33)

Dropped

Nothing

Comment

Fall 2016 Simulcast Rankings: October

It's more than a week late, but here is my first leader board for simulcasts this season. As I was only wavering on one slot between two shows that I decided to wait until I have finished putting together my watchlist for this season before doing this. But now that I know what I'll be watching this season that I'm now putting it out after being sidetracked by quite a lot of stuff.

Normally, I would use three colors, but with my schedule figured out that there's no blue for shows I'm still deciding on. Just black for shows that are in and red for shows that are dropped. Also, as this is now the fall season that means the tier names switch from baseball to football terminology. So Home Run is now Touchdown, Base Hit is now Field Goal, Walk is now First Down, Flyout is now Punt, and Strikeout is now Fumble. As usual, this leader board only reflects the episodes for the current season, meaning that the first two cours of Twin Star Exorcists and the first five episodes of Regalia are not considered in the rankings for these continuing shows.

Touchdown
                Haikyuu!! Karasuno High School vs. Shiratorizawa Academy
                Yuri!!! on Ice

Field Goal
                Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans
                Sound! Euphonium 2
                Drifters
                March Comes in Like a Lion
                The Great Passage
                Poco's Udon World
                Kiss Him, Not Me
                Flip Flappers

First Down
                Izetta: The Last Witch
                Magical Girl Raising Project
                Uta no Prince-sama: Magi Love Legend Star
                Show by Rock!! #
                Regalia: The Three Sacred Stars
                Nanbaka
                Girlish Number
                Lostorage Incited WIXOSS
                Keijo!!!!!!!!
                All Out!!

Magic of Stella
                Long Riders!
                Miss Bernard Said.
                Brave Witches
                Matoi the Sacred Slayer
                Touken Ranbu: Hanamaru
                Nyanbo!

Punt
                Ninja Girl and Samurai Master
                Twin Star Exorcists
                Magic-Kyun Renaissance
                Kiitaro's Yokai Picture Diary
                Classicaloid
                Occcultic;Nine
                Scorching Ping Pong Girls

Teekyu 8
                Trickster
                Monster Hunter Stories: Ride On
                Cheating Craft

Fumble
                Kaiju Girls
                Dream Festival
                Soul Buster
                Bloodivores
                Time Bokan 24
                Glass Mask Year 3 Class D
                Gakuen Heaven
                Heybot
                Nazotokine
                To Be Hero
                Sengoku Chojyu Giga
                Ao Oni

At this time, I only am putting the two sports shows in the top tier, but a number of shows are knocking on the TD tier door as Iron-Blooded Orphans, Euphonium, Drifters, and March Comes in Like a Lion all had strong debuts. It usually is my policy to keep things in the middle tier for the first month unless I have strong feelings about it in either direction. In any case, this season had quite a lot of duds and most of them were dropped before their trial periods expired, while some that made it through to the end I had to made a tough decision. While I would have liked to add The Great Passage to this season's slate, with Amazon getting exclusive streaming rights and not following through with streaming them that I had no choice but to drop it.

Comment

Buckeye's Fall 2016 Anime Viewership Plan: Finalized Slate

So after taking a long and hard look at the shows this season, I have now finalized my watchlist for the season. It was quite a difficult task as usual that was made even more so with the large number of Wednesday shows this season (and two more shows that air on different days in Japan are Wednesday shows in America) and the lack of quality shows on Mondays and Tuesdays (with the exception of Natsume's Book of Friends, which is a sequel to a show I have yet to watch). In any case, I have finalized my slate for the season and here it is.

Watching
                  Regalia: The Three Sacred Stars (continuing from summer)
                  The Disastrous Life of Saiki K. (continuing from summer)
                  Twin Star Exorcists (continuing from summer)
                  Uta no Prince-sama: Maji Love Legend Star
                  Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans season 2
                  Show by Rock!! #
                  Sound! Euphonium 2
                  Haikyuu!! season 3: Karasuno High School vs. Shiratorizawa Academy
                  Yuri!!! on Ice
                  Nanbaka
                  Flip Flappers
                  Magic of Stella
                  March Comes in Like a Lion
                  Drifters
                  Kiss Him, Not Me
                  Poco's Udon World
                  Lostorage Incited WIXOSS
                  Teekyu 8 (short)
                  Nyanbo! (short)
                  Ninja Girl and Samurai Master (short)
                  Miss Bernard Said. (short)
                  Kiitaro's Yokai Picture Diary (short)
                  Hagane Orchestra (short)

Dropped
                  Girlish Number
                  Brave Witches
                  Keijo!!!!!!!!
                  The Great Passage
                  Matoi the Sacred Slayer
                  Long Riders!
                  Scorching Ping Pong Girls
                  Trickster
                  Magic-kyun! Renaissance
                  Occultic;Nine
                  All Out!!
                  Cheating Craft
                  Classicaloid
                  Monster Hunter Stories: Ride On
                  Soul Buster
                  Bloodivores
                  Time Bokan 24
                  To Be Hero
                  Tawawa on Monday (short)
                  Kaiju Girls (short)
                  Glass Mask Year 3 Class D (short)
                  Gakuen Handsome (short)
                  Ao Oni (short)
                  Nazotokine (short)
                  Sengoku Choujuu Giga (short)

So in total, I have 20 standard-length shows (that includes Saiki K. as while they are shorts, there are five of them per week that is equivalent to a standard-length episode when added up) and five shorts (not including Saiki K.) that total 18 minutes per week. I am taking on more shows than originally intended, but with Regalia almost over that I decided to keep all of these shows and I had to make some really tough drops. Some of them were the result of me not wanting to get another subscription (Long Riders and Matoi), while two of them are the result of them not streaming anywhere legally (The Great Passage, which Amazon is supposed to have the rights to but they are not putting it out for some reason and their exclusive deal blocks Crunchyroll and others from getting it, and Hagane Orchestra). I'll skip the explanation for how I arrived at this slate for the time being and put it in a different post as the Captcha bug is really annoying and I would like to at least get this portion out now. Here's a breakdown of my viewing slate by day of the week (left number is total number of shows and right number is the number of shows with episodes that are at least half-length):

Sunday (5/3): MSG:IBO 2, Show by Rock 2, Touken Ranbu, Hagane Orchestra, Saiki K.
                  Monday (2/0): Nyanbo!, Saiki K.
                  Tuesday (3/1): Ninja Girl, Nanbaka, Saiki K.
                  Wednesday (7/4): Twin Star Exorcists, Teekyu 8, Kiitaro, Sound! Euphonium 2, Yuri on Ice, Magic of Stella, Saiki K.
                  Thursday (4/2): Flip Flappers, Regalia, Miss Bernard Said, Saiki K.
                  Friday (4/4): Drifters, Lostorage Incited WIXOSS, Haikyuu!! 3, Kiss Him Not Me
                  Saturday (5/5): Izetta, Raising Project, March Comes in Like a Lion, UtaPri 4, Poco's Udon World

So Wednesdays and Saturdays are really busy this season, and Mondays and Tuesdays are pretty empty. Monday would have had a standard-length show had Daisuki not made a sudden change to the schedule and put Magic of Stella on Wednesday nights instead. While Wednesdays have the most shows, Saturdays have the most standard-length shows.
                  Last edited by Buckeye; 11-20-2016, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Re: Buckeye's Fall 2016 Anime Viewership Plan: Finalized Slate

And now, I will explain how I arrived at my finalized viewing slate as there is quite a lot this time around that went into the process. First of all, I set my schedule to be 18 standard-length shows, give or take a couple, plus shorts as I do with every season in order to keep myself from burdening myself with all of these shows.

So to get things started, there are three continuing shows this season in Saiki Kusuo, Twin Star Exorcists, and Regalia (which was delayed to allow for improvements in animation quality), and while all three shows eventually made the cut, only Saiki Kusuo was guaranteed its spot. Twin Star Exorcists was in the middle of a filler arc that tested my patience as it just repeated itself, but in the end I decided to stick with it seeing that I already got this far. As for Regalia, it was a borderline show that I was on the edge before its broadcast got suspended, so I decided to give it two more episodes before making a decision on it, and they are a huge improvement over the first four, while the show only gets better from thereon out, so Regalia secured its spot. Then there were the sequels that were added from the start, so the sequels for UtaPri, Iron-Blooded Orphans, Show by Rock, Sound! Euphonium, and Haikyuu!! all made it without any chance of being dropped. So far, that's eight slots filled.

Before getting to the stuff that did make it into my list, I'll talk about the stuff that had no realistic shot of making it. Time Bokan 24 was just stupid but more importantly it had that feeling of being repetitive. Bloodivores is another bad showing for something adapted from Chinese source material and while it held my interest better than Hitori no Shita, it still is pretty pathetic. Monster Hunter Stories and Heybot are both generic kids shows that offered nothing for me. Classicaloid was fun, but the novelty wore off pretty quickly. While All Out!! seems to be going somewhere, I was quickly getting bored waiting for something to happen. Occultic;Nine is confusing as hell and if anything, my enjoyment would be much greater marathoning it. Magic-kyun! Renaissance was better than expected for a show from the otoge genre, but I already had another similar show that is a much better show than this. Long Riders is fun, but needing a Daisuki membership to watch it (and not to mention the tendency for delays from Actas shows) made it an easy decision to drop it. To Be Hero is easily one of the most offensive shows that I have come across. While I really like the concept that went into Cheating Craft reminding me of the first test in the Chunin Exam in Naruto, the execution came out pretty flat as I was expecting for a show adapted from Chinese source material. Lastly, Soul Busters just was tough on the eyes with that style of artwork.

Now onto the new stuff and the shows that didn't require its whole trial period to secure their spots. Yuri on Ice pretty much earned its spot from the get go as it is the best of the new shows this season and that was the only show this season that clinched after the first episode. Flip Flappers took a few episodes, but it was pretty much a certainty that it would earn its place on my watchlist due to its weird and wild nature that I really like. Given how bad the slate for Monday and Tuesday slate was this season that I decided that one, and only one, show from those two days made the watchlist. For Mondays, it was between Magic of Stella, Trickster, and Scorching Ping Pong Girls, and Magic of Stella was easily the most watchable of the three as I quickly lost interest for Trickster and Ping Pong Girls just was lacking in substance. While Stella would be moved to Wednesdays after I made the decision that now Mondays are empty again, I decided to uphold my decision. For Tuesdays, it was between Nanbaka and Matoi as I have yet to watch Natsume's Book of Friends, and that was a pretty easy decision as Matoi required another subscription, and seeing that Nanbaka is the slightly better show that it was an easy decision. Izetta and March Comes in Like a Lion took a few episodes, but their spots were never in danger. So that brings the total to 14 shows.

So to fill the last 4-6 slots, I had to make some really tough decisions as I had 10 shows in the running between Drifters, Kiss Him Not Me, Magical Girl Raising Project, Poco's Udon World, Touken Ranbu, Lostorage Incited WIXOSS, The Great Passage, Girlish Number, Keijo, and Brave Witches. The Great Passage pretty much got DQ'd from the start with Amazon somehow not streaming the show even though they had secured exclusive streaming rights and got streamed in all other countries they have streaming service for, and the exclusive deal meant Crunchyroll or any other streaming service couldn't pick it up. I wasn't really high on Keijo, and while I did watch out its trial period, I felt that it wasn't for me moving forward. So that left me with eight shows and pretty much Drifters made it because Hellsing Ultimate is so awesome and Kouta Hirano continues to remind me why it is in this show. Poco's Udon World was pretty enjoyable and with me missing Sweetness and Lightning that this filled in that hole very nicely. Magical Girl Raising Project was on the chopping block, but then a big twist happens that had me into this show, so that show got in. And then I decided that Kiss Him, Not Me got in as that show is pretty hilarious and always kept fresh. So with the 18 spots filled, I decided I could take on two more between the final four shows in Touken Ranbu, WIXOSS, Girlish Number, and Brave Witches with Regalia and Saiki Kusuo (which didn't turn out to be the case as the 85-episode count was wrong) finishing early. I felt that I had too many Wednesday shows, so it was obvious that Brave Witches was going as while I like that it's more story-focused compared to Strike Witches that was overloaded with fanservice, the show just focused too much on the MC and it doesn't give enough focus to the other characters so taht by the time they become relevant, I'm at a loss, and certainly I wasn't going to keep both this and WIXOSS, which are both spinoffs from their respective franchises. And then for the other show to get cut, it was Girlish Number as while I like the approach the show took, some things just didn't click in this show, so that would be the last show to get the ax. As for the two remaining shows, Touken Ranbu was pretty enjoyable even if the story was nonexistent, so I added that show. Last show to be added is WIXOSS as I decided that the drama is something I want to be around for and while its story isn't deep or impactful as the original series, I do enjoy the character designs and the psychological warfare that goes on in this show.

As for the shorts, once again I had the rule to not exceed 30 minutes a week as far as cumulative weekly run times go. Teekyu was in for being a sequel, while Miss Bernard Said and Ninja Girl didn't take long for their spot to be secured being very enjoyable for its run length. Kiitaro has interesting characters, so that show got in, while Nyanbo! filled in the void left by Bananya as this whole concept of using augmented reality animation is pretty neat, while the Nyanbos are really cute. I could have added more, but decided not to for various reasons. I would have included Hagane Orchestra and Tawawa on Monday if they were streaming legally on Crunchyroll, but because they are not that they are both out. Kaiju Girls just felt stupid and wrong, Glass Mask just put me off, while those pointy chins in Gakuen Handsome really disgusted me. Ao Oni and Sengoku Choujuu Giga just had animation styles that were too tough on my eyes, while Nazotokine just had no substance at all. So that's how I decided on the shorts for this season.
                    Last edited by Buckeye; 11-15-2016, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Post-Simulcast Report: November 1-15

It's now the second half of November, which means another post-simulcast report. And in the meantime, I need to get out my final report for the summer season soon.

Completed

High School DxD Born (10-12): B-
                      The first season was bad, the second season is great, and this one falls somewhere in between as while the intensity and the focus on storytelling for an ecchi show is remarkable, this season is let down by the introduction of too many new characters to keep track off and while some characters were developed nicely, others were just there not really clicking with the show. There's that, and the season ends with some big loose ends that are hopefully tied up with a fourth season coming.

Pokemon XY: Mega Evolution (1-4): B
                      This is a special that tells the story from Alain's point of view, and it's a great story about the secrets behind Mega Evolution. It's told in typical Pokemon fashion, but unlike the TV series episodes, this one is far more focused and the result is a nicely told story. There are things that don't quite click together, but seeing that it is Pokemon that it isn't always needed.

Knights of Sidonia Movie: B-
                      This is nothing more than a refresher as I prepare to watch the second season. It keeps all of the key moments, and seeing that it came with the PE for the second season that I felt obligated to watch it.

Kuromukuro (14-26): B-
                      This show has some great and not so great things going for it. The artwork from P.A. Works is gorgeous, the action is amazing, and the character interactions are nice. However, this show has a number of problems with the biggest one being the way the story flows trying to balance war and everyday life. Those two aspects are not handled in the best way possible and this is especially problematic at the beginning. It's great from a technical standpoint, but it was quite sloppy and uneven in the more important storywriting aspect with a lackluster first half and a strong second half.

Ongoing

[DBZ-K] Dragon Ball Z Kai (91-93)
                      ^[ESF] Escaflowne (9-13)
                      [E21] Eyeshield 21 (71-87)
                      [HXH] Hunter x Hunter 2011 (22-24)
                      [JBA] Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (3-4)
                      ^[MSG-IBO] Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans (11-21)
                      [NAR-2] Naruto Shippuden (113-120)
                      [PKM-XYZ] Pokemon XYZ (34-38)

Dropped

Nothing

Comment

Post-Simulcast Report: November 16-30

The fall season has flown by really quickly as now it is onto the final month of the season. As usual, here is my post-simulcast report for the second half of November.

Completed

Knights of Sidonia: Battle for Planet Nine (1-12): A-
                        This season does a great job in taking things to the next level as Tanikaze's character grows a great deal through the encounters with the Gauna and the gain of an unexpected friends. The story is far from conclusive, but this show does a great job in helping move the MC forward after what had happened in the events of the first episode. The battles are great, while the action utilizes CGI very well much like with the first season. Compared to the first season, this one has a better story and while it doesn't leave as big an emotional impact as the first, the storytelling is much better this season.

Aldnoah.Zero (1-24): B
                        This show had a great start with Gen Urobochi's writing setting the tone for this show to be about psychological warfare. But this show doesn't carry the momentum throughout the show as things become a big mess later on. This show has great action, an incredible soundtrack, amazing animation, and solid story concept that was well-executed in the first half. But things unravel in the second half as the story is just poorly written and character development is just a mess with Slaine's tranformation being the especially problematic. In any case, this show has all the style, and while it has the substance at the beginning, it totally loses it in the second half.

Ongoing

[DBZ-K] Dragon Ball Z Kai (94-95)
                        [E21] Eyeshield 21 (88-105)
                        ^[NZK] Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun (1-3)
                        [HXH] Hunter x Hunter 2011 (26-28)
                        [JBA] Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (3-4)
                        ^[MSG-IBO] Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans (11-21)
                        [NAR-2] Naruto Shippuden (113-120)
                        [PKM-XYZ] Pokemon XYZ (39-40)

Dropped

Nothing

Comment

Fall 2016 Simulcast Rankings: November

Alright, this is way late, but nevertheless here is the next leader board for this season, the second of three. As always, during the second and third months I exclude all dropped shows and I pick three shows that are rising and three shows that are falling. These reflect my feelings towards shows through the end of November. And like always, I indicate whether shows are trending upward (green) or downward (red) based on November's episodes.

Touchdown
                          Haikyuu!! Karasuno High School vs. Shiratorizawa Academy
                          Yuri!!! on Ice

March Comes in Like a Lion (Promoted)
                          Sound! Euphonium 2 (Promoted)

Field Goal
                          Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans 2
                          Drifters
                          Poco's Udon World
                          The Disastrous Life of Saiki K.
                          Kiss Him, Not Me
                          Flip Flappers
                          Uta no Prince-sama: Magi Love Legend Star (Promoted)

First Down
                          Show by Rock!! #
                          Nanbaka
                          Magic of Stella
                          Lostorage Incited WIXOSS
                          Ninja Girl and Samurai Master (Promoted)
                          Miss Bernard Said.
                          Nyanbo!

Punt
                          Regalia: The Three Sacred Stars (Demoted)
                          Hagane Orchestra
                          Kiitaro's Yokai Picture Diary
                          Twin Star Exorcists
                          Teekyu 8

Fumble
                          None

Rising

March Comes in Like a Lion - These episodes really dig deep into Rei's life and what troubles him. The effect is so unreal and character development really starts to take off thereafter. This show has cemented its spot among the best of the season. While the interactions with the sisters are always great, it is all about Rei's development that makes this show quite a sight to behold.

Sound! Euphonium 2 - Character development really steps up in these episodes, and to say the least it's great to see everybody building up their character at a time of uncertainty. That said, it's the concert that really brings this show into elite company.

Uta no Prince-sama: Maji Love Legend Star - This season has certainly done a much better job than season 3 during the individual idol episodes as the idols of Starish and Heavens come together to get to know each other better. While the Starish idols dominate the scene during these episodes, the Heavens partners get plenty of focus as well. Then there's the last of the idol pairs that really sets the tone for the series in a way the previous two seasons don't.

Falling

Izetta: The Last Witch - After a nice start, this show has started to fall by the wayside as the story just moves way too fast all while characters are being killed off with not much emotional impact. I would think this show would have been much better if it was two cours, but it is what it is. I feel that too much is being forced into the show, which is generally not a good thing.

Regalia: The Three Sacred Stars - This show had a strong second month, but it fails to build off the momentum that was given by one of the best episodes of the season with bland storywriting and an unexpected villain emerging. At least it's still better than the beginning, but nevertheless the way things went was just disappointing.

Twin Star Exorcists - More filler, more Kinako, and more unimaginative storywriting. I feel compelled to drop this show, but since I came this far that I might as well see through this to the end as this show is great when it follows the manga, not so much with the anime-original material.

Comment

Post-Simulcast Report: December 1-15

December is in its second half, which means it's time for another post-simulcast report for the first half as the end of the season, as well as 2016, quickly approaches. One of the completed shows includes a rewatch of something I completed not too long ago as I opted to watch the Kuromukuro dub shortly after finishing it in Japanese, so there will be no review for that in this report (check the previous one for it). Completed simulcasts are listed as there is one such show in this report, but the review will come once the season is finished.

^
                            indicates show being rewatched
                            * indicates show is a completed simulcast

Completed

^Kuromukuro (1-26): B-

^Monthly Girls' Nozaki-kun (4-12, Specials 1-6): A-
                            This show just hits on all the right notes as far as comedy goes as this show is insanely funny. But what sets this comedy higher than many others is that it offers a lot more than just the humor as this show does a solid job in character development, as well as be informative about the manga industry. The characters are great, and that alone makes it a show everybody must watch. About the only major problem this show has is that there's too much discord in the plot as it keeps jumping from one place to another without really connecting the parts together.

*Haikyuu!! Karasuno High School vs. Shiratorizawa Academy: A+

^Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans (22-25): B+
                            This show is a much welcomed change-of-pace from the typical Gundam shows as while it stays true to its core values with mecha action, political shenanigans, the Char figure, and strong story-telling from both sides of the conflict, this show does it in a way that's much easier to follow while sacrificing depth in the process. This show is a bit too laid back than I would have wanted that kind of kills the momentum of the story, but nevertheless the show accomplishes its objective.

Ongoing

[DBZ-K] Dragon Ball Z Kai (96-97)
                            [E21] Eyeshield 21 (106-124)
                            [FTL] Fairy Tail (252-256)
                            [HXH] Hunter x Hunter 2011 (29-30)
                            [JBA] Jojo's Bizarre Adventure (5-8)
                            [KHJ-2] Kamisama Kiss 2 (1-5)
                            [MSG-U96] Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn Re:0096 (1-11)
                            [PKM-XYZ] Pokemon XYZ (41-42)

Dropped

Nothing

Comment

Fall 2016 Final Thoughts

First Impressions

The end of the Fall season is always a nice change of pace from the end of other seasons, as there's a good week or two with pretty much nothing airing as well as no other major obligations, meaning I have plenty of time to do my Final Thoughts post long before the next season has even started (granted, there are a few early birds coming already, but there's no way to get around that). In fact, with so much more free time than usual, I'm getting this out just a few hours after the last show I'm watching ended, with several that I dropped not even done yet.

For those who read the regular discussion threads as well as the posts in these threads, note that I may be reusing some of my posts from those that I feel express my thoughts on a series well enough that there's no reason for me to make a point of saying something completely different.

New For Fall 2016:

The first number and icon is the number of spots and direction the series moved on the given ranking. The second is the number and direction of possible grades it moved. The former is obviously only relative to the other series around it, and the latter may show a movement of "00" even if my opinion of it did go up or down, if it wasn't enough to change the grade.

00► 00► 01. Haikyuu!!: Karasuno Koukou VS Shiratorizawa Gakuen Koukou (A) With as highly as the second season has ranked in my all-time favorites since it aired, it's pretty amazing that the next season can already unquestionably top that, especially considering not only is it 40% as long as the prior two seasons, it's all just one volleyball game. But despite that, not a second is wasted, every moment just ramping up the excitement and developing the phenomenal characters more and more. I watch and love a lot of sports anime, but no other one makes me want to scream alongside the characters in the show every time something impressive happens, to say nothing of Production I.G's lavish animation that no sports anime and few action anime period can lay a finger on. With each passing season, Haikyuu!! is establishing itself more and more as easily one of the greatest sports anime of all time in every way.
                              00► 01▼ 02. Natsume Yuujinchou Go (A-) The pattern of each season of Natsume being better than the last may have held consistent, although certainly not by the same margin as in previous cases. The fears that the production values would drop a bit in Shuka's hands were not as unfounded as I wished they were, but this is the first example that the studio does have its shit together in general; it was still beautiful, just not as much as it perhaps could be for this series. The content is still very strong, and we'll be following it up with another season soon, so the lack of an especially conclusive ending is acceptable for now.
                              00► 01▲ 03. Yuri!!! on Ice (A-) It's easy to joke about the ironic nature of the title from an anime perspective by calling it Yaoi!!! on Ice, but the best thing about the series is that it explores a gay relationship without any of the trappings of yaoi or BL ilk one could think of. It's the only anime I've seen that is this explicit, this realistic, and this respectful. It's not played for jokes or fetishism; it's simply treated just as so many heterosexual relationships have been up to now, which is wonderful to see. Oh right, and there's a bunch of ice skating! That really can't be underplayed, though, not only because figure skating is a rather intriguing blend of sports and performance arts that I don't believe anime has covered in such a way prior, but because the choreography and music used throughout the sequences is almost invariably incredible. Sometimes it does get a bit repetitive and I don't necessarily care about each story equally, but overall it's a hell of a show.
                              00► 00► 04. Bungou Stray Dogs 2nd Season (B+) After a few episodes of flashback, the story does return to the present, but along with the flashback perhaps hitting the highest peaks of the series, the rest of the series is greatly enriched by that added background, and in general everything is immensely improved over the first season. Suddenly, everything is extremely important, to the point that some episodes almost feel too packed with plot, and it delivers the promised climax with cliches all the way but expert execution that make that perfectly fine. In those moments in particular, the animation excels, and the music, already the strongest element of the series, steps it up a notch as well to accent the emotional weight of all the critical scenes.
                              00► 01▲ 05. Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans 2nd Season (B+) As this Gundam universe continues to expand, the connection with the cast of characters is strengthening well. As the season goes on, more intense threats are beginning to emerge, which also serves to give more background on the setting and bring things full circle, making the weight of the situation very real. With at least another cour remaining, it looks very likely to end up at least as good as any non-UC Gundam.
                              02▲ 01▲ 06. Drifters (B) While it doesn't reach Hellsing Ultimate levels by any stretch of the imagination, the disappointing first episode was not a remotely accurate indicator of the series as a whole. It soon settles into Hirano's mastery of brutality, which is more or less what one should be looking for in such a series. As it introduces more and more figures from throughout history, there's also a decent amount of historical pandering, which is generally at least interesting. There's not a lot of depth to be had here, but it has no pretensions of being more than popcorn entertainment that certain audiences can get a bit more out of.
                              01▼ 01▲ 07. 3-gatsu no Lion (B) The seemingly schizophrenic tone of the series still characterizes it in a major way, but as we get to know the protagonist and the other important characters, it becomes more appropriate and welcome. Each character is consumed by inner demons, making the character study often unpleasant but almost always slightly moving, occasionally achieving some poignancy or at least a fine catharsis. When a great deal of time is spent specifically in a character's mind, the Shaft imagery ends up being appreciated.
                              01▲ 00► 08. Udon no Kuni no Kiniro Kemari (B-) Perhaps still most notable merely for being so overwhelmingly cute, there's a good amount of depth to be had in the end as the protagonist journeys through two distinct but intersecting character arcs. As he learns to be a father, he also learns to love his roots that he had cast off and find a new respect for his late father. It's generally pretty light fare and gets a bit treacly at times, but on the whole it's a fine slice of life with a fantastical twist.
                              02▼ 00► 09. Watashi ga Motete Dousunda (B-) As the series settles into its formula, it turns out to be largely just a rote harem, albeit with the element of the protagonist's BL obsession always present and serving to inject surprisingly successful comedy into almost any situation. Interestingly, the series does go the opposite direction in a way by adding a girl to female protagonist's harem, and the fact that she's isn't nearly as shallow as the rest makes her a very welcome addition.

Dropped:

00► 01▼ 10. Shuumatsu no Izetta (C+) Any hope for political intrigue is lost as this series showed its hand and revealed that everything was, in fact, in service of otaku-pandering schlock. This is the kind of fetishistic treatment of homosexuality I was talking about, amidst a great deal of other out-of-place fanservice and reliance on the most basic tropes to tell any semblance of a story.

When a third of the new series I stick with from a season ends up not only near the top of the best of the year but in my all-time Top Anime, I'd say it's a pretty damn good season, especially coming off the heels of some underwhelming periods. While the top two are more or less expected, the first of those is still even better than could be conceived, and the non-sequel of the bunch (not an adaptation, either) is a great treat and one of the freshest series of the year on a variety of levels. The other sequels improve upon their predecessors significantly, and the rest of the new series, sans one notable dud, are entertaining at worst.

Everything that Ended:

01. Haikyuu!!: Karasuno Koukou VS Shiratorizawa Gakuen Koukou (A)
                              02. Natsume Yuujinchou Go (A-)
                              03. JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken: Diamond wa Kudakenai (A-) Managing to adapt the entirety of a story with 22 more chapters than Stardust Crusaders in 75% of the time, this is my new favorite JoJo season. Admittedly it did take longer to get to the point than I would've preferred, but once the main antagonist was introduced, it was a cleverly constructed and delightfully suspenseful thrill ride to the end. The focus on the setting and its colorful cast of inhabitants allowed for a much more involved system of collaborations than the world tour style of Stardust Crusaders, even if not every character necessarily warranted their initial focus in the end. It seems like the general consensus is that this is as good as JoJo gets until Steel Ball Run, which is apparently one of the greatest things ever, but who knows how many years it will be until the anime of that? The fact that we actually concluded Part 4 in 2016 is something I wouldn't have guessed, so I suppose there's no telling, but this is likely to stay on top for at least a while.
                              04. Yuri!!! on Ice (A-)
                              05. Bungou Stray Dogs 2nd Season (B+)
                              06. Drifters (B)
                              07. Udon no Kuni no Kiniro Kemari (B-)
                              08. Watashi ga Motete Dousunda (B-)

Dropped:

09. Shuumatsu no Izetta (C+)

Everything I'm Watching:

Here's everything, including everything listed above. This is here to show the overall ranking (and movement for end-of-season posts) of everything in relation to everything else.

As with the first section, the movement indicators show the movement in the ranking and the change in grade, respectively.

00► 00► 01. Haikyuu!!: Karasuno Koukou VS Shiratorizawa Gakuen Koukou (A)
                              00► 01▼ 02. Natsume Yuujinchou Go (A-)
                              01▲ 00► 03. JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken: Diamond wa Kudakenai (A-)
                              03▲ 01▲ 04. Yuri!!! on Ice (A-)
                              02▼ 00► 05. One Piece (A-)
                              04▲ 02▲ 06. Naruto: Shippuuden (A-)
                              01▲ 00► 07. Bungou Stray Dogs 2nd Season (B+)
                              03▼ 00► 08. Detective Conan (B+)
                              00► 01▲ 09. Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans 2nd Season (B+)
                              04▼ 00► 10. Dragon Ball Super (B+)
                              02▲ 01▲ 11. Drifters (B)
                              01▼ 01▲ 12. 3-gatsu no Lion (B)
                              01▲ 00► 13. Udon no Kuni no Kiniro Kemari (B-)
                              02▼ 00► 14. Watashi ga Motete Dousunda (B-)

Dropped:

00► 01▼ 15. Shuumatsu no Izetta (C+)

Weekly Schedule:

Sunday (1): Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans 2nd Season
                              Monday (0):
                              Tuesday (1): Natsume Yuujinchou Go
                              Wednesday (2): Yuri!!! on Ice, Detective Conan
                              Thursday (1): Naruto: Shippuuden
                              Friday (4): Haikyuu!!: Karasuno Koukou VS Shiratorizawa Gakuen Koukou, JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken: Diamond wa Kudakenai, Bungou Stray Dogs 2nd Season, Drifters
                              Saturday (5): One Piece, Dragon Ball Super, 3-gatsu no Lion, Udon no Kuni no Kiniro Kemari, Watashi ga Motete Dousunda

This was a pretty good slate. At least four top-tier series, a lot of stuff that was far better than I could've even hoped for, and a lower count than ever before, which decreased by one more partway through, making the percentage of quality much higher than usual. It's quite hilarious that, of 15 series I was watching before dropping one, 10 were just on Friday and Saturday. It's also worth noting that every single simulcast I watched more than one episode of in these three months is now on Crunchyroll, with Gundam being the only one I have to watch elsewhere (Hulu) due to the unfortunate week delay on Crunchyroll. So hopefully by Spring 2017, it will be 100% Crunchyroll, something I've been wanting for so many years. All four of the heavy hitters did end, so there could conceivably be a bit of a hole to fill, but I already know that next season has me covered in that department, so there's nothing to worry about. Before we get to any of that, the year will be ending and I'll be running down the best it had to offer, which will show just how much this last quarter contributed to the overall worth of 2016 in terms of anime series.
                              My Top Anime | Manga
                              My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                              My FP Reviews | Twitter
                              FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...