X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Fall 2016] Drifters Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    ドリフターズ

From the creators of Hellsing comes a show about historical figures drifting into an alternative world. You can expect there to be quite a lot of bloodshed in this show.

Airs: Friday, October 7

Studio: Hoods Entertainment

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

Shimazu Toyohisa, whilst involved at the Battle of Sekigahara, manages to mortally wound Ii Naomasa, but is critically wounded in the process. As he walks from the field broken and bleeding, Toyohisa finds himself transported to a corridor of doors, where a bespectacled man at a desk waits for him. This man, Murasaki, sends Toyohisa into the nearest door where he wakes up in another world. There, Toyohisa meets other great warriors like him who have been transported as well, to be part of a group known as "Drifters."

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Main, Ascendance of a Bookworm
    Watching: Gundam 00, Dorohedoro, Medaka Box, Golden Wind
    Simulcasts: HZG, DKD, FRB, KGY, TOA-R, OGF, 8NT, ART, BNA, GLP. KKG, LSN, SKT, SBA, YFM, TOG, WLN, A3A, PCR, SHV
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Drifting away to another world.

So it begins with Shimazu Toyohisa taking down Naomasa, and getting skewered in the process just before using his last ounce of strength to deliver the fatal shot. But what awaits him is an afterlife trip to an alternative world where he meets up with the Lord Nobunaga, as well as the archer Yoichi, as well as the elves that live there. The beginning was pretty bloody, which is exactly what Hellsing is known for, and then things got relatively lighthearted there when Toyohisa met Nobunaga. Anyway, that was quite impressive, and I'm always reminded that this is Kouta Hirano doing what he is known for. Toyohisa looks like Alucard, while one of the characters that shows up at the end looks like Seras. It's off to a great start so far, so I'll keep watching at least through its trial period.
    Simulcasts: HZG, DKD, FRB, KGY, TOA-R, OGF, 8NT, ART, BNA, GLP. KKG, LSN, SKT, SBA, YFM, TOG, WLN, A3A, PCR, SHV
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

So this is about historical figures which didn't die but were sent to this world or whatever and are now called Drifters. Possibly because they can move from one world to another like drifting souls or something. The visuals felt a bit weird. The colors were cool but the animation wasn't really stellar or anything. And it had a seemingly grim serious overall environment because of those colors which made that comedy feel weird and out of place and less funny. They're in a serious talk with them suspicious of each other, the environment is serious, the colors are dull, and next thing you know they're plucking feathers off a duck ponytail guy just caught. The transition between comedy and seriousness is kinda off here. I kinda expected as much from the latest PV, but this really isn't good at all. Kinda feels like they wanted to be a serious show about whatever but still wanted to try and be funny. I'm not sure about the former, but they certainly aren't doing well in the latter. I'll see how the story progresses. I'm a bit interested in these Drifters and those people who were spying on them for whatever reason.
      My ReviewsMy MAL ProfileMy Anime List

Comment

Definitely clear that they're trying to adapt this as similarly as Hellsing Ultimate as possible. I don't see it being anywhere as good, but it's certainly entertaining and interesting enough to keep watching, and I am of course curious to learn more about what is actually going on.
        My Top Anime | Manga
        My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
        My FP Reviews | Twitter
        FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Originally posted by Yamada2 View Post
          The colors were cool but the animation wasn't really stellar or anything. And it had a seemingly grim serious overall environment because of those colors which made that comedy feel weird and out of place and less funny. They're in a serious talk with them suspicious of each other, the environment is serious, the colors are dull, and next thing you know they're plucking feathers off a duck ponytail guy just caught. The transition between comedy and seriousness is kinda off here. I kinda expected as much from the latest PV, but this really isn't good at all. Kinda feels like they wanted to be a serious show about whatever but still wanted to try and be funny. I'm not sure about the former, but they certainly aren't doing well in the latter.
          Yeah, the comedy was quite jarring, felt so out of place. Probably the worse part of the first episode especially when you had all those bloody and gruesome scenes along with a tense moment.

Comment

Episode 2

Saving goes two ways.

The elves helped Toyohisa, and now it is his turn to help the elves as they are under attack by Aram and his army administering punishment on the elves for those children helping a Drifter. In comes Toyohisa, who slaughters everybody like they are nothing, and then beats up Aram himself leaving him barely alive for the elves to take their revenge on. With that, Toyohisa has seized the village and now has the elves under his command. What a brutal world this is seeing that it's a crime to help Drifters in this world and no such violation goes unpunished even if it was children who did it.

So with that, I'll give it the rest of its trial period before deciding what to do about this show. It's in solid position, but it still has to earn its spot.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

Ah, there's Hirano's signature ultraviolence. Turn the innocent elves bloodthirsty, why don't you?

Very unusual opening.
              My Top Anime | Manga
              My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
              My FP Reviews | Twitter
              FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Re: Episode 2

Okay I think I'm going to like this for all that gore and violence. These guys are pretty brutal. The elves were under attack and Toyohisa sliced apart all those attackers. I liked how he threw his sword at the commander and then threw himself at him and then started to hit his head with the sheath of his sword. That last part was pretty brutal. And then he had the elves finish him off because it was their revenge. And the Octoberists are the one who maintain the Drifters sent in by the weird glasses guy and are working for Easy. And it's a fight between Easy and that glasses guy for whatever reason. The comedy felt a bit better here because it was more well placed than in the last episode. If anything, I think all that violence might keep me here.

Comment

Episode 3

Means to the Ends.

The Ends are introduced here led by the Black King, and they are out to destroy the world and the Drifters along with it. They totally wiped the floor with Hannibal's army at the northern wall making their presence known to everybody. With the situation hopeless, Hannibal, Butch Cassidy, and the Sundance Kid all manage to escape the carnage, but to do so they had to get past a dragon that a pilot took down. That was a nicely done fight sequence there and while it breaks away from Toyohisa and company, it is doing a nice job in building up for big things to go down.

Comment

Re: Episode 3

The comedy is really bad here and they shouldn't try being funny at all. The war was cool and pretty brutal. We're getting more than only Japanese historical figures here with Joan of Arc and Hannibal and some others. The October people are going to search for Toyohisa and the other two to seek their help to defeat the illuminati. And Those guys have found out about the big boob woman spying on them. The episode had some coolness but wasn't really much interesting as a whole. Should get better now I think since Toyohisa, Nobunaga and the other dude will be getting more focus I think.

Comment

I'm glad this series has improved so much from the first episode. It's really showing promise now. Hirano definitely does chaotic war well, and fortunately Hellsing Ultimate established how to adapt his style, which transfers to this nicely, even if naturally not quite as pretty.
                      My Top Anime | Manga
                      My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                      My FP Reviews | Twitter
                      FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Originally posted by GingaDaiuchuu View Post
                        I'm glad this series has improved so much from the first episode. It's really showing promise now. Hirano definitely does chaotic war well, and fortunately Hellsing Ultimate established how to adapt his style, which transfers to this nicely, even if naturally not quite as pretty.
                        It's gotten to the Plot quickly enough, and the unrelenting ultra-violence keeps things from ever bogging down so that we'd have to think too much about it. Such camp violence like this--and now absurd fun like Anastasia Romanov and Joan of Arc gaining superpowers in obviously bitter death--I like the lame bits of comedy (which also serve, also amusingly, as ways to soften the animation budget) to connect things together. (I admit I never really got into Hellsing, though I know the style well enough.)

I've avoided much in this vein in recent seasons, but this has been a surprisingly entertaining and over-the-top show, if even just to temper the comedy and character drama in other shows.
                        Avatar: Tsumugi, Sweetness & Lightning
                        TFP Forum Rules

Comment

Episode 4

It's their world. Save it.

So Nobunaga is rallying the troops just like how he unified Japan and now the elves are taking up arms to save their village. Olminu comes in to tell everybody about the Ends and how they are out to destroy the world. This is pretty much all setup for big things to go down considering that there was an awful lot of comedy here for a dark and bloody show that this is, but if it had to happen, this is the place to do it. Hellsing was like that, but with much less comedy and there wasn't any of it during the second half IIRC. Anyway, this episode does its job and now it's onto war to save the world starting with the village that has been emptied out in advance of an attack.

Comment

Re: Episode 4

I like Nobunaga. His idea to take the army by force if they aren't responding to requests was cool. And despite having actual experience in ruling, he prefers to stay back and puts Toyohisa forward so that he can control things from behind the scenes. He's a cool guy. And now they're starting things off by reclaiming the elven lands which were taken over by the humans .

The Ends are those who don't have any humanity in them and are working to erase humankind from this place wherever it is. And they're probably like that because they were heroes who weren't treated as such and were betrayed by humanity or something. I don't know the stories of those people, but oppai megane's story kinda gives this conclusion. The Drifters are those who were probably revered as heroes by all or something so they still have their humanity and are therefore most likely to try and save humans or whatever in opposition to the Ends.

Things get pretty cool when Toyohisa and the others are involved since they're all badasses, but things also get incredibly unfunny. Toyohisa and the others will be gathering their army while the illuminati will be tracking down the escaped Drifters and stop them from meeting the Japanese friends. Expecting a bloodbath next week as Toyohisa will be taking heads off.

Comment

Re: Episode 4

Nobunaga insisting on someone else being the leader did seem out of character, but the explanation that he saw his son, whose death he recently learned of, in Toyohisa is acceptable enough. He has accepted the end of this reign and wished for his son to continue on, so he's pushing that onto Toyohisa here.

And what an anime thing to have a convenient charm that makes the wearer fluent in whatever language they need.
                              My Top Anime | Manga
                              My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                              My FP Reviews | Twitter
                              FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...