X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Fall 2016] Kiss Him, Not Me Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    私がモテてどうすんだ

A show about a fujoshi who wants to see the bishounen at her school kissing each other to create the BL atmosphere that she lives for rather than herself.

Airs: Thursday, October 6

Studio: Brain's Base

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

Kae Serinuma is a second year high schooler and an avid fujoshi who secretly ships her classmates, Igarashi-kun and Nanashima-kun. The death of her favorite anime character causes her to become stressed—and loses weight rapidly. Now that Serinuma has become an attractive girl to her classmates, her snarky kouhai Shinomiya-kun, and her senpai Mutsumi, how is she going to deal with them ...with her constant BL-filled, fujoshi mind?!

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Rikka "Lily" Isurugi, Black Fox
    Watching: Gate, Mitsuboshi Colors, Snow White with the Red Hair, Ghost Hound, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, KYB, FRB, MIX, FIL, MTI, DUN, ALS, COP, DRS, IDD, FSN-LE, VLS, MMZ, GIV, HES, HDB, AKO, NHG, RST, SND, PKC
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Don't just play the heroine, be the heroine.

Kae underwent such a huge transformation going from fat and chubby to slender and pretty, and all of that happened because her favorite guy in anime died in the show. But one thing that hasn't changed is her otaku self as she just couldn't resist that hug pillow when it was about to sell out to the point that she ended up having to out the fact that she is an otaku to those boys. That was very funny seeing Kae doing all of these crazy fangirl things. So I'll watch some more of this for the time being as it made a solid first impression.
    Watching: Gate, Mitsuboshi Colors, Snow White with the Red Hair, Ghost Hound, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, KYB, FRB, MIX, FIL, MTI, DUN, ALS, COP, DRS, IDD, FSN-LE, VLS, MMZ, GIV, HES, HDB, AKO, NHG, RST, SND, PKC
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

Haha, Kobayashi Yuu at her absolute dorkiest. Varies quite a bit before and after her "transformation", but pretty danged dorky either way, and that seems quite suitable for the character.

Interesting to see out of her "harem", two of them were somewhat friendly with her even as she originally appeared. The other two were more taken aback. At this point I wonder what development the latter two guys will get as it feels better to root for the ones who weren't as superficial in the first place.

So we get Serinuma coming out as an otaku here, and that was of course fine with no drama from the guys (I love how her meter breaks, though ), though I do wonder about her fujoshi comrade who mentions keeping it secret from her boyfriend. Could be some drama with that later.

And I'm rather curious what role the handsome girl from the OP will end up playing.

Comment

That was…much funnier than I was expecting it to be. While the premise strains credibility a lot (fasting for a week will result in weight loss, obviously, but that it turns a girl who looks quite obese into a model-thin hottie is pure fantasy), the jokes playing off of it were well done: "Mom! The mirror's broken!"

Originally posted by EmperorBrandon View Post
        So we get Serinuma coming out as an otaku here, and that was of course fine with no drama from the guys (I love how her meter breaks, though ), though I do wonder about her fujoshi comrade who mentions keeping it secret from her boyfriend. Could be some drama with that later.
        It will be interesting to see, though I somewhat suspect that her friend's boyfriend, if he's really into the friend, is not going to dump her over that. Of course, the current group of 4 Hot Boys might pay less attention to Kae if she were to gain her weight back (which is quite likely to happen in the real world). That might be a greater challenge than that she's an otaku.
        Avatar: Craft Lawrence from Spice and Wolf.
        Scratchy for Tama is angry.
        Casually Reviewing: ???

Comment

Even as the gag to start off this gag series, the highly overweight protagonist permanently obtaining an ideal petite body by starving herself for a few days pisses me off. And of course everything about her changes. She doesn't even wear glasses anymore.

The actual point of the series is really funny, though.
          My Top Anime | Manga
          My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
          My FP Reviews | Twitter
          FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 2

Getting a kick out of this.

The first half has Kae playing soccer as a replacement for one of the players, and while she's athletic, she knows nothing about soccer and can only kick the ball backwards, which she uses in the match to score. Then she has the boys over to her house to study for an exam as her grades have tanked ever since she lost weight, and she has to cover up the fact that she's into BL, and that fails when her brother opens the closet. But she did pass her exam. That was another hilarious episode, and certainly it's funny to see Kae relying on stuff she picked up from anime to approach things in life. Next time, it's onto the culture festival.

So with that, this show remains in contention and I'll give it its full trial period before saying for sure what I want to do about this show, whether it be to watch this show and not that show, or something like that.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

Heh, I just knew what was fueling Kae's enthusiasm towards trying out soccer. It had to be all those fujoshi-bait sports anime. :D Though it does figure that even having lost weight, she's not really much a fit person, and athletic efforts still turn out rather awkwardly for her. I liked how she ended up using both of those things to her advantage in the end. It seemed like her method of encouraging the team came from a sports anime. And then she used the unusual trajectory of her soccer kicks to get a surprise goal. Oh, and...
              At this point I wonder what development the latter two guys will get as it feels better to root for the ones who weren't as superficial in the first place.
              Now we get right to it rather nicely with Nanashima. It was sweet to see him react in a way even he didn't expect when the soccer girls were getting weary with Kae behind her back. And Nanashima gets to falling for some other positive traits of Kae's, in how she wants to keep going at it and not quitting despite the difficulties.

Oh no... Kae's summer full of fujoshi fun is under threat from the dreaded supplementary classes. The next-ep preview spoiled that the boys would be coming to her house, though I like how they tried with the usual places like a library and a restaurant. But Nanashima and Shinomiya's squabbling got them in trouble with everyone around them each time... Having to go to Kae's room provided some amusing antics with her having to put away some mountains of the more "embarassing" items. Love how the Nanashima kept getting spooked by the ones he unwitting came across. Mutsumi's niceness is just so overwhelming, not just for Kae, but the other guys can't help but be in awe every time too. First they're compelled to go along with praying to the fictional character's altar, and then everyone gets the pencil gift. Kae of course passes and gets her happy summer end... not the riaju stuff the guys are thinking of course... but much drooling with A-chan at the otaku events. :D

Comment

Re: Episode 2

So the boys are still a little put-off by the otaku stuff, but they're learning. They'll get there eventually, and hopefully not just for their vain motivations. Nana is clearly the one most meant for her.
                My Top Anime | Manga
                My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                My FP Reviews | Twitter
                FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 3

This world is just a crappy game.

Gotta love those references in this episode with Attack on Titan and Snow White, as well as Kae saying that quote that made Sora of No Game, No Life famous. when those boys were picking fights. So Kae's class does a cosplay cafe with Shinomiya going trap, while Igarashi and Amane cosplaying as soldiers from the 104th Training Corp (as indicated by their badges) in Attack on Titan, and things get out of hand before Kae broke up the commotion. Kae sure did get what she wanted in this culture festival, and that was very funny to see.

So with that, I'll give it another episode, and while this show is in a pretty strong position, it hasn't quite locked in its spot yet.

Comment

Re: Episode 3

Kae always lets her enthusiasm get ahead of her. I figured she was going to wear herself taking on so many costumes. But she does it, and does it well. Being a Kodansha title, they of course always have to squeeze Attack on Titan wherever possible, but rather fitting for this setting since it has a strong fujoshi fanbase. And extra points putting Kae in the costume with a potato for the eyecatch, considering her voice actress. :D

I just knew what Shinomiya's role was going to be in his play right away, before he mentioned it: of course, the princess. Heh, Shinomiya's dilemma this episode makes me think of Momo-kun from Momokuri. But while Kae is always quick to fawn over his cuteness, it is nice that she got in some compliments he was looking for at one point. Oh, and when they're having their alone time later in the episode, Nanashima thinks Shinomiya is going to be completely "harmless". And he may have got it partly correct. But Shinomiya probably gets the closest moment due to being accident prone.

Was interesting what we got with Igarashi. He did seem to be the one who was least comfortable and impatient with the relationship the whole group had settled into over the first few episodes. Shaking things up here, though, eventually to lead to a range of upsetting situations for Kae, though. I like that after the dust settles, he gets to acknowledging his faults in the matter and not considering Kae's feelings.

Heh, the festival dance dilemma is resolved in a manner that brings maximum satisfaction to Kae and A-chan (those two often get a good note to end on)

Comment

Gotta love the eyecatch referencing Kobayashi's role as Potato-chan.

Everyone is doing their best to progress this otome game setting to a real relationship, but Kae is so not ready for real-life romantic contact. Poor Shinomiya is more moe than any girl in the show, but even through that he gets arguably the "furthest" with her, although it was the worst thing for making Kae feel comfortable.

Looks like the real contenders are Nana and, particularly in this episode, Igarashi.
                      My Top Anime | Manga
                      My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                      My FP Reviews | Twitter
                      FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Heh, the festival dance dilemma is resolved in a manner that brings maximum satisfaction to Kae and A-chan (those two often get a good note to end on)
                        We know who is really driving the narrative here, no matter how much Kae might seem, visually, like a type created to draw a mainly male demographic

It was funny how Kae, at the limit of her tolerance for it, ended up quoting, sort of, Keima Katsuragi: "Reality is just a crappy game!"
                        Avatar: Craft Lawrence from Spice and Wolf.
                        Scratchy for Tama is angry.
                        Casually Reviewing: ???

Comment

Originally posted by Hitsugi Amachi View Post
                          It was funny how Kae, at the limit of her tolerance for it, ended up quoting, sort of, Keima Katsuragi: "Reality is just a crappy game!"
                          Heh, I immediately thought of Keima too. Loved that bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Hitsugi Amachi View Post
                            Heh, I immediately thought of Keima too. Loved that bit.
                            That sort of immediately came to mind, but instead I thought about Sora before he and his sister became gamers in another world in No Game, No Life. I didn't realize that Keima also said it. Nevertheless, I love all those references.

Comment

Episode 4

She's simply one hell of a doujin artist.

Here comes a new characters as Kae meets Shima at Comiket cosplaying as the Black Butler, or in this case Gray Butler, and as Sebastian always does, she gets rude attendee to scram. It turns out that she also goes to Kae's school and has a huge room full of otaku culture stuff. On top of that, she's an artist who has her own doujin circle. And now, she kisses Kae leading to all sorts of trouble. Shima sure did make a big splash there as she has taking an instant liking to Kae, all while he just couldn't resist the opportunity to use those boys for her model.

So with that, this show is into my watchlist for the season as this is another strong episode that pretty much seals the deal. So far it has been great, and I look forward to seeing what crazy things happen next.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X