X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Fall 2016] Occultic;Nine Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    -オカルティック・ナイン-

A show from the creators of Steins;Gate about nine people who engage in paranormal activities that eventually leads to something that will change all common sense in the world.

Airs: Saturday, October 8

Studio: A-1 Pictures

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

The "paranormal science" story follows nine idiosyncratic individuals, linked by the "Chōjō Kagaku Kirikiri Basara" occult summary blog run by 17-year-old second-year high school student Yūta Gamon. Little incongruities that occur around these nine eventually lead to a larger, unimaginable event that may alter what is considered common sense in this world.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Violet Evergarden of KyoAni's Violet Evergarden
    Watching: Kyo Kara Maoh, Pokemon Sun and Moon, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, FRB, KYB, FGN, MIX, FIL
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Believe in the supernatural.

So far, it's mostly introductions with Yuta, Ryoka, and Miyuu getting most of the focus. Yuta is all about blogging, Ryoka has the big boobs, while Miyuu is a celebrity. Lots of things are just being thrown out there, and at the moment that's fine, but things better be connecting pretty soon or else it will be more like Chaos;Head than Steins;Gate. In any case, the characters are pretty interesting, and there's a lot to think about with all of this paranormal stuff, but at the same time the animation quality is pretty bad for something produced by A-1 and it could be a big problem down the road. Anyway, I'll keep watching for now and then evaluate its position as far as my watchlist goes after another episode or two.
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

Well so much for that one. Robotics;Notes was disappointing enough, but this was far worse, almost as bad as Chaos;Head. With the same studio, director, and composer as Shigatsu wa Kimi no Uso, I wanted to believe this one had a better chance, but I'm guessing this is going to be another one-cour adaptation of something that desperately needs two, which was a big part of what killed Chaos;Head. After all, that was by Madhouse of all studios, though you'd never guess it by looking at it. This is a somewhat similar situation; while the art style and fluidity of motion (mostly used for disgustingly enormous boobs bouncing) is plenty strong, the line art is so dull that it looks like a much lower resolution than it is. As with Chaos;Head, the Kanako Itou OP is the best part. Onto Chaos;Child next season...
      My Top Anime | Manga
      My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
      My FP Reviews | Twitter
      FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 2

The key is in the tooth.

The first episode was just all over the place as it just threw things out there without really making sense of anything, but this episode is a huge improvement as it was much more focused, albeit still on multiple things at once, as it didn't jump from character to character the way it happened in the first episode. Anyway, there are lots of questions and mysteries being raised due to some murders taking place, and then there's the golden tooth being pulled that is actually some sort of key, Aria doing fortune telling, and that sketchy picture. Lost of seemingly random things are being thrown out here and there's some sort of connection going on.

So with that, I'll give it one more episode, but I'm quickly losing interest in this show as it's just too hard to follow and the animation just looks like a total hack job. It's unlikely I'll be continuing with this show seeing that I need to trim down my crowded watchlist, but I'll at least see how things build off of this episode. I do realize that shows from this line tend to make no sense at all in the beginning, but I just get the feeling that it won't amount to much in the end.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

I think I see where this is going, being a Science Adventure and all - its channelling Kairo. With what the Professor says about souls being electromagnetic signals and Myu seeing a server room in the dying guys future...

Comment

Episode 3

Nobody takes big brother away.

That hint "CODE" from the crime scene is traced to the BL doujinshi artist Ririka as that word appears in her latest manga series. Then Aria's background is explained as her real name is Ria Minase and her big brother that she has some sort of incestual relationship with dropped dead one day due to some medical error, and she has been hauling her brother's dead body around. Then there's mass suicide going on all leading to something big going down. That was a pretty sad story for Ria and certainly it's tough on anybody when one's brother suddenly dies. That was a much better episode, but still not exactly holding my interest at this point.

So with that, I'm finished with this show for the time being. I think I would enjoy this series much better marathoning it than watching it weekly seeing that I'm having a hard time keeping everything straight. I'm starting to get more into this show, but with the season crowded as is right now that I don't feel up for continuing this show. That said, there are a few characters I'm very interested in, so I might revisit this show in the future seeing that shows from this line tend to start out slow and not really engaging until the middle of the series.

Comment

Episode 4

This is not a good season to be a "Chi-chan". I wonder if she is as dead and gone as it seems and as Miyuu fears.

Gamo had gotten back to enough of a calm state of mind to visit the oddballs again. Though then he's back to be being terrified as he's spotted by Hashigami's skeptic of a son. Seems like we may finally get to see what the tooth key is going to reveal next episode.

Comment

Episode 6

Back to dumping the ultra-confusing fast talk so much that I was about to really lower this in my priorities again, maybe dumping it without picking it back up. But then they managed to land quite a huge twist at the end as far as Gamon himself goes. Now I'm at least a little interested to see how they're going to follow up on that.

Comment

Re: Episode 6

Having been tipped off about shadows I've been rewatching the whole series and, as of encountering a demon at the end of episode 3 (something I forgot even happened), Gamotan has presumably been dead in the water. More than that, Touko was completely ignored at her office and had no reflection (which reminds me of the detective being similarly ignored in an episode I've not reached yet). However, Miyuu has been interacting normally with both of them, and Gamo with Ryotas and Izumin also.
                  And neither Gamo nor Sarai are casting shadows on the ground when they meet.
                  The conversation between the creepy boy and Ririka strongly implies she's one too (name in the news / gone to that side / drawing myself)
                  Right, Ryotas and Gamo are walking together and only she has a shadow, so it is definitely not accidental. While I'm waiting for confirmation on Aria and Miyuu, it's looking like she's the only one still alive out of the main players. Maybe those huge melons are anchoring her in this world?
                  Moritsuka confirmed shadowless. But can talk on the phone.
                  Aria can hear her "devil"'s voice more clearly.
                  Oh geez.... Miyuu saw a little bird (kotori) in Chi's future, and the "kotoriba" in her last message used the same characters (although on the internet Kotoribako always seems to be written in kana)

Comment

Re: Episode 6

Interesting to hear of those details. I have been wondering about just how long Gamo has been dead, and who else in the cast may be in a similar situation.

Comment

Episode 7

So Gamo does talk to a girl who seems to be carrying on normally, but she has no shadow... Yep, it seems like most in the circle of major characters we've known are dead. And there are a variety of reactions, from those who are strong in their disbelief, question things, or are now quite certain of it. Going to be interesting to see how Asuna plays in this going forward, particularly coming across Gamo right as he's there to see the proof of his death, and the reasons Moritsuka had forbidden her to get involved in cases for a while (I guess her powers have caused her a lot of grief before).

Comment

Re: Episode 7

Her powers are also clearly draining, and she definitely seems the type to put others above her own safety, at least where Moritsuka is concerned.
                        I'm wondering if the factory explosion mentioned has seeded scandium particles in the area and that is how they are manifesting.

Comment

Episode 8

Well, that is not only Ririka and Aria confirmed beyond any doubt, but also Miyuu.
                          Hang about, where did the last week go?
                          Whoa whoa slow down Asuna, stop gabbling your exposition!
                          Speaking of, here's that conspiracy guy with the same affliction.
                          We can only hope no idiot ever tries to make a PAL version of this.

Still no explanation of Ryotasu, and no appearance from Izumin at all.

Comment

Re: Episode 8

Asuna's meeting with Gamo got to such a sweet point... that I'm rather worried what's going to happen next with her. Among the apparent living who can see Gamo and co. is also Ryo-tas. Definitely curious what we're going to get with both of them.

At least now the goals of the babbling conspirators are getting to be a little more clear.

Hnnngg... Misaki Kurehito endcard! Miyuu looking her most wonderfully adorable.

Comment

Episode 9

Ryotasu's personality is starting to slip and Asuna can't see Miyuu, but can hear her through the radio.

If changes to their real bodies are reflected in their astral bodies once they are aware of them, how come they don't look all corpsified now?

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X