X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Fall 2016] Girlish Number Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    ガーリッシュナンバー

A show about a girl aiming to be a seiyuu.

Airs: Thursday, October 6

Studio: Diomedea

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Anime Network / Hulu

The series follows Chitose Karasuma, a university student who aims to become a voice actress (seiyuu). The stage event listing further indicates that it focuses on the profession of idol seiyuu.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Asirpa, Golden Kamuy
    Watching: Utawarerumono: The False Faces, Golden Wind
    Simulcasts: HZG, DKD, FRB, KGY, TOA-R, OGF, 8NT, ART, BNA, GLP. KKG, LSN, SKT, SBA, YFM, TOG, WLN, A3A, PCR, SHV
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

It's more than she bargained for.

And so it begins with Chitose beginning her seiyuu career as a minor character, and the business is not exactly what she had envisioned having to attend events and to potentially become an idol. Not to mention having to put up with Shibasaki, who just wants to act and doesn't care for all of these publicity stuff, and Chitose's brother and manager Gojo. But an opportunity presents itself when a new light novel adaptation is created and the directors want her to voice the heroine. That was a nice way to look at the industry through the perspective of a newbie much like with Seiyu's Life, except that it takes a more realistic approach. Anyway, this show has started off well enough that I'll be continuing on for the time being as I need to sit down and sort through everything to decide what stays and what goes, much like how production companies do when it comes to figuring out who to keep and who to cut.
    Simulcasts: HZG, DKD, FRB, KGY, TOA-R, OGF, 8NT, ART, BNA, GLP. KKG, LSN, SKT, SBA, YFM, TOG, WLN, A3A, PCR, SHV
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

Heh, I was really amused how merciless they were towards light novel authors here. Though the creator of this (Wataru Watari, author of Oregairu) is himself a light novel author, so I guess he's more free to be critical there since it can be seen as being self-deprecatory. Did like how sharp the girls were towards each other, particularly with mama's girl Sonou, and Shibasaki's difference in philosophy from the way the industry is going currently. I wonder how often it happens (if much at all) in reality that a family member is a manager?

Comment

In theory I really should like everything about this series, so I'm not quite sure what rubs me the wrong way about it. Maybe it's just that I find all of the characters generally unlikable in one way or another. Maybe if I hear it's gets especially good I'll check it out some more, but it's not inspiring me to stay for now.
        My Top Anime | Manga
        My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
        My FP Reviews | Twitter
        FPR Episodes | Apple

Comment

I guess this is a more realistic take on the seriyuu industry. The characters are really unlikable though.
          Avatar: Shimarin from Laid Back Camo.

Comment

Originally posted by GingaDaiuchuu View Post
            Maybe it's just that I find all of the characters generally unlikable in one way or another.
            Oddly, that worked as a selling point in its favor for me. If this is going to be a no-holds-bar satire on the industry, I don't want to like these people and…I don't. They shouldn't be likable and the whole sausage-making truth to it all works better this way.

I'm sure we'll find someone likable at some point since, yeah, the audience has to sympathize with someone.
            Avatar: Craft Lawrence from Spice and Wolf.
            Scratchy for Tama is angry.
            Casually Reviewing: ???

Comment

Lol this was good. I think I'm going to end up liking Chitose quite a lot. She's real fun. I couldn't tell whether Momoka was really a nice girl or if she was putting up an act. Her interaction with that other girl made me feel like she was putting up an act, but then she helped Chitose escape too. I liked how she said such cruel things with a smile on her face lol. I also liked how they were making fun of the industry as a whole. The characters are all fun and the comedy is great. Chitose is pretty and cute so that's a plus. I'll be sticking with this one.
              My ReviewsMy MAL ProfileMy Anime List

Comment

Originally posted by Hitsugi Amachi View Post
                Originally posted by GingaDaiuchuu View Post
                Maybe it's just that I find all of the characters generally unlikable in one way or another.
                Oddly, that worked as a selling point in its favor for me. If this is going to be a no-holds-bar satire on the industry, I don't want to like these people and…I don't. They shouldn't be likable and the whole sausage-making truth to it all works better this way.

I'm sure we'll find someone likable at some point since, yeah, the audience has to sympathize with someone.
                The general cynicism that's being represented here is interesting to say the least. Looks like they're really calling out all the people in the industry, including the entertainers, that this is how a lot, if not most people are behind the stage. The truth might hurt, but I'm willing to believe it. This is almost like the evil-stepsister to WUG, in a good way, at least from what I've seen so far.

Comment

Episode 2

Paid to act, not to sing.

It's no wonder why Chitose managed to land the lead heroine role in the show Millennium Princess x Kowloon Overlord despite her inexperience as this show is being produced on a shoestring budget, and while there are prolific seiyuus in it, they are mostly for one-shot characters. Not to mention, the producers are asking Chitose, Yae, and Koto to form an idol unit to sing the ending theme song as another cost-cutting measure, while the animation quality of the PV is atrocious all accurately reflecting the reality of the industry, especially for shows without a large budget. And now, there are even more problems ahead on the production side of things. Diomedea did a great job in making that PV look so bad like how low budget shows typically are supposed to be.

So with that, I'll give it another episode before deciding what I want to do with this show. While I have been enjoying it, this show hasn't exactly won me over yet, and Wednesdays are pretty loaded as is.
                  Last edited by Buckeye; 10-19-2016, 03:20 PM.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

Chitose's head sure swells so quickly. All wrapped up in her heroine part so much that she doesn't even realize that he has a lot of co-stars (not in the know about anime at all, if she doesn't realize this light novel adaptation is going to feature a harem). Speaking of being in the know about anime... we've got quite the (somewhat dissonant to start out with) mix of personalities. Chitose seems to only have sarcastic admiration of Koto's knowledge of anime, and basks in Yae's confidence issue by pretending she's on a higher level. All the backtalking from Chitose, and yet she then later finds out rather awkwardly from Yae that the newbies of the same class as her had taken to avoiding her fairly quickly. It all comes around.

Sonou actually seems a little restrained in comparison this episode. Interesting seeing her reaction to Shibasaki's remarks about Sonou not having to worry about anything. I like how the difference in Shibasaki's voice in presenting the PV is so stark. Stands out so much that Sonou has to get a jab in at that.

And the impending train wreck with the anime project itself is getting markedly pronounced from the very beginning. Our P is funny story'ing his way through any questions on the critical issues facing the production, and they seem to have a director with a rather hands-off kind of personality. Going to be interesting to see how it affects the budding seiyuu as the problems start to trickle down and affect them. They seem to be rather blissfully unaware now, but maybe not for too much longer.

Comment

You see, this is what happens when you let Tarou from Shirobako take charge of the production of a series...

Loving the girls though. Chitose has that blunt but infinitely sharp edge to her, and with Yae and Koto... the perfect threesome!
                      Proudly Part of the Eli-chan Fanclub
                      Eardrums be damned, she's so cute!

Find me in the Blogs, on Youtube and occasionally Twitch.

Comment

I am seriously loving that arrogant little cocky Chitose. She looks cute and her personality is so bad. Can't not love this girl.

Lol how they're treating this LN adaptation. Chitose didn't even bother to see what the LN was about to the point that she didn't know that it's gonna be a harem anime lol. And the staff behind the anime didn't care about it either. They changed the character designs a bit too much and the visuals are like crap. Diomedea did a good job showing the whole PV and making it look like shit. Good job in making crap lol. And the audience buys that shit lol. Look at that applause for that crappie PV. I was expecting Chitose or someone else to say that the PV looks like shit but no one did. And the future of this anime looks bleak lol. They don't have a key visual yet, the PV looks like shit, the staff and cast couldn't care less about the source material and the anime, especially the staff who are treating it like a joke. This is gonna fail so bad.

Chitose and Yae's interactions are fun. Lol how Chitose straightforwardly says that Yae's heart is black and her words are empty. Chitose really doesn't like Yae lol. The Kansai girl was okay too.

I am loving this anime even more now. Everyone is such a fun bunch. And I love the poking fun and things here. Now to see how Chitose's first major role anime flops. Or maybe they're gonna show how everyone will buy it even though it's crap.
                        My ReviewsMy MAL ProfileMy Anime List

Comment

Originally posted by Jun Kuga View Post
                          You see, this is what happens when you let Tarou from Shirobako take charge of the production of a series...
                          That PV was done for only 1,600. I wonder who they got to animate it, Studio Taitannic?

While the audience thought it was amazing, was it me or did it look like the characters were off-model at several times? Or was that just the artist's personal style, which was…sometimes a little ill-defined?
                          Avatar: Craft Lawrence from Spice and Wolf.
                          Scratchy for Tama is angry.
                          Casually Reviewing: ???

Comment

Originally posted by Hitsugi Amachi View Post
                            Originally posted by Jun Kuga View Post
                            That PV was done for only 1,600. I wonder who they got to animate it, Studio Taitannic?

While the audience thought it was amazing, was it me or did it look like the characters were off-model at several times? Or was that just the artist's personal style, which was…sometimes a little ill-defined?
                            Is this in reference to the characters in the PV or the actual characters? If the former, I think that was intentional. Which I would think is somewhat accurate in depicting the real reaction of otaku (since a lot of the hype the audience has for PVs like this tends to be solely for the seiyuu involved) even though the quality of the production is kind of crappy. So this continues the satirical look at the industry, including us audience, in how some of the fandom hypes certain releases. I got a laugh at how having a PV was such a big deal. Who are these people? :D

Comment

Originally posted by Sensuifu View Post
                              Which I would think is somewhat accurate in depicting the real reaction of otaku (since a lot of the hype the audience has for PVs like this tends to be solely for the seiyuu involved) even though the quality of the production is kind of crappy. So this continues the satirical look at the industry, including us audience, in how some of the fandom hypes certain releases. I got a laugh at how having a PV was such a big deal. Who are these people? :D
                              I was wondering if it had to do with fervent fans of the source material being overrepresented, happy to see their favorite characters being animated and about the fanservice scenes with them near the end. The seiyuu here are newbies apart from Sonou and Shibasaki. Not sure how popular those two are supposed at this point in the setting, though yeah, that could be part of the enthusiasm too. If there were some in the crowd turned off by the quality of the PV, they probably held back reacting there, waiting to get to their devices or computers to blast their opinions on 2ch and Twitter.
                              Last edited by EmperorBrandon; 10-20-2016, 12:45 PM.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X