Widgets Magazine

TFP's Anime List Project #32: Favorite Sports Character (+ Summer Story Poll)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TFP's Anime List Project #32: Favorite Sports Character (+ Summer Story Poll)

Widgets Magazine
    Welcome to the 32nd edition of The Fandom Post Anime List Project. Where TFP readers can suggest and vote on lists for a wide array of anime-related topics, sometimes relating to the current anime season.

The poll for the last topic, Favorite Summer Story, is above. Please select up to but no more than five (5) options! Voting on this poll is open through afternoon Friday, September 2nd. (Hrld's argument for Summer Wars, by the way, swayed its inclusion. )

And next: Favorite Sports Anime Character. Fresh off the Olympics, it's the obligatory sports topic. First one on this subject, I think, but starting with a general angle to it. Couldn't do "favorite sports anime scene" really, because most would be, in the nature of the genre, spoilers. And "favorite sports anime" is too boring. Dig deep on this one though, I'd like to hear about some obscure ones!

Please reply to this root post with up to five (5) nominations. Nominations are open through Friday, September 2nd.

(If you have a topic suggestion, please feel free to post that here, as well.)

Thanks!

The poll is expired.

Last edited by bctaris; 08-24-2016, 02:18 PM.
    Avatar: Tsumugi, Sweetness & Lightning
    Moderation: General Anime; English Track; Movie; TV | TFP Forum Rules
    Please Support The Fandom Post

Re: TFP's Anime List Project #32: Favorite Sports Character (+ Summer Story Poll)

Makunouchi Ippo, Hajime no Ippo, boxing. Can't not like the guy who epitomizes everything about perseverance and good work ethic to make the most out of his sport, and beyond.

Celia Cumani Aintree, Walkure Romanze, jousting - because.

Kinjou Shingo, Yowamushi Pedal, cycling- The perfect example of a not-so-flawless competitor, yet strict and caring enough to squeeze the most out of his teammates.

Kaede Saitou, Yama no Susume, mountain climbing - Without her endurance, knowledge, foresight, and guidance, it would be really difficult for the other girls to accommodate themselves to the world of climbing. She's also humble enough and encouraging in setting a nice example for the others to follow.

Reizei Mako, Girls und Panzer, tank battle - almost a contradiction to the entire theme, but a sleepyhead who's responsible for operating the Anglerfish team's tank. Though she's smart without really trying and is relatively lazy, she makes up for it by having the strength and endurance in driving a heavy weapon. That's a stressful and strenuous exercise in of itself.
    Last edited by Sensuifu; 08-24-2016, 04:17 PM.

Comment

Re: TFP's Anime List Project #32: Favorite Sports Character (+ Summer Story Poll)

Originally posted by bctaris View Post
      Favorite Sports Anime Character
      Oooh, here's a topic to get me digging...

In no particular order.

Mao Daidoji (Princess Nine)
      The gentle giant of the field, and one of the nicest girls in the series. Being catcher, she forms a real bond with Ryo, and despite her stature, she comes off as the nicest, and most lovable member of the team.

Momoko Toyoko (Saki)
      Don't ignore this entry just because it's not a physical sport. Mahjong is played for sport, especially in the world of Saki. Also don't ignore this entry because there's nobody named, because you're being mean to Stealth Momo. Other than being friggin' adorable, Momo's story is one of the most heartwarming in the series. A girl who was literally invisible because she didn't stand out, finding friends and finding a way to stand out, through sport.

Ringo Seto (Angelic Layer)
      If mahjong is included, then why not fighting dolls? It's a sport, a competitive game, played nationwide. It's more of an e-sport really, but still a sport! Anyway - Ringo Seto, the weird idol of the layer, but she's really a fierce fighter who grows herself through the sport.

Aila Jyrkiainen (Gundam Build Fighters)
      If fighting dolls are included, then why not fighting Gunpla? It's basicly the same thing, and even more, it's actually international! Aila may be a bit of an antagonist throughout the series, but her story is one of the deepest in the series. A homeless orphan from Finland, she's adopted by the Fiana institute, and is used by her team for ill deeds before learning the true nature of sportsmanship. I wont spoil any more, but don't ever steal her meat buns!

Eva "Molly" Wei (Oban Star Racers)
      Probably the most interesting choice, not so much because of the character, but because of the series. A Franco-Japanese co-pro, it's most definitely anime, despite being produced for a global audience. Molly is another rags to riches sporting story, going from a boarding-school runaway, to a mechanic, to being a race-star. Of course I'd pick a character from a driving background!
      Proudly Part of the Eli-chan Fanclub
      Eardrums be damned, she's so cute!

Find me in the Blogs, on Youtube and occasionally Twitch.

Comment

First off, I'll nominate my current avatar - You Watanabe from Love Live! Sunshine!!, who's a swimmer/diver good enough to make the national team.

Since Mao Daidoji got nominated, might as well go ahead and nominate her battery mate Ryo Hayakawa .

My other nominations:

3. Sena Kobayakawa (Eyeshield 21)
        4. Akiko Ogasawara (Taisho Baseball Girls)
        5. Rin Natsume (Little Busters)
        Currently Watching | MAL Profile
        Let's make anime great again!

Comment

Sports characters, eh? I can easily nominate these:

Akari Kanzaki (Battle Athletes/BAV)-The daughter of the great Cosmic Beauty Tomoe Midoh who becomes a top athlete in her own right.

Kanako Mita (Princess Nine)-The Kisaragi Princesses' star shortstop. Our having a shared birthday also plays into her being a favorite character.

Yawara Inokuma (Yawara! a fashionable judo girl!)-A cute & fashionable judo prodigy who ironically doesn't want any more of the sport (But gets more & more involved with it anyway as the Barcelona Olympics draws near).

Tatsumi Takeshi (Giant Killing)-The manager of the East Japan United football (Soccer) club. IMO EJU couldn't have picked a better man to turn their fortunes around.

Seconding Sena Kobayakawa (Eyeshield 21)-Daimon High's star running back as Eyeshield & the football team's manager the rest of the time.
          Last edited by Jimmie M; 08-24-2016, 06:24 PM.
          Avatar: Apollo 11 Insignia (50th Anniversary of the Moon mission)
          FilmAF / MAL /Games / Figures
          Moderator Patrol Route: Movie & TV Discussions, Questioning Fandom

Comment

Originally posted by Sabure View Post
            First off, I'll nominate my current avatar - You Watanabe from Love Live! Sunshine!!, who's a swimmer/diver good enough to make the national team.
            Is Love Live Sunshine really a sports anime though? And we've not really seen enough of her swimming to consider her to be a sports swimmer.
            Proudly Part of the Eli-chan Fanclub
            Eardrums be damned, she's so cute!

Find me in the Blogs, on Youtube and occasionally Twitch.

Comment

Originally posted by Jun Kuga View Post
              Originally posted by Sabure View Post
              Is Love Live Sunshine really a sports anime though? And we've not really seen enough of her swimming to consider her to be a sports swimmer.
              Yeah, I don't know. Technically it could pass...but let's keep it to characters from specific "sports anime," not just any athletic character. (In the broad sense of sports anime, of course: traditional and non-traditional stuff, like mech racing--but not idol competition, which though certainly athletic and running on similar themes and dynamics, is good for its own series of topics.

Originally posted by Jun Kuga View Post
              Eva "Molly" Wei (Oban Star Racers)
              Probably the most interesting choice, not so much because of the character, but because of the series. A Franco-Japanese co-pro, it's most definitely anime, despite being produced for a global audience. Molly is another rags to riches sporting story, going from a boarding-school runaway, to a mechanic, to being a race-star. Of course I'd pick a character from a driving background!
              Speaking of. Sweet.

Comment

...but let's keep it to characters from specific "sports anime," not just any athletic character. (In the broad sense of sports anime, of course: traditional and non-traditional stuff, like mech racing--but not idol competition, which though certainly athletic and running on similar themes and dynamics, is good for its own series of topics.
                I was contemplating whether 'cooking' would fall into this category; though like idol shows (..'er, unless it's Wanna Be The Strongest in the World) , that's probably stretching it a bit.

Comment

Hisa Takei Saki–So, mahjong told in the style of a sports story, Hisa has the role of player-coach for her team. She is a great tactician (read: manipulator) but also has her quirks (her preferred playing style of the game can raise the hackles of more traditional and conventional players like Nodoka Hanamura).

Kazuya Miyuki Ace of Diamond–A very traditional baseball story, Ace of Diamond has the regular kinds of characters you find on the team, including a catcher whose specialty is dealing with talented pitchers who almost always are head cases of one form or another (seems to be a stereotype in the real world too). Miyuki's role is to play psychologist and guide his team to victory. Of course, he turns out to be a master manipulator who likes to tease and play with his pitchers as if they are his toys.

Originally posted by Sensuifu View Post
                  Kinjou Shingo, Yowamushi Pedal, cycling- The perfect example of a not-so-flawless competitor, yet strict and caring enough to squeeze the most out of his teammates.
                  Because one must simply bow before perfection. *Bows*

Nana Mishima The Knight in the Area (Area no Kishi)–A mediocre show with a mediocre protagonist best ignored, the part of the show worth watching is the sub-story of Nana who is a very talented female soccer player, good enough to be recruited to the national team. Probably would have been better to have a manga/show focused on her than the fairly lame main plot-line.

Miyako Miyazaki Bamboo Blade–While all the members of the Muroe High School Girls' Kendo Team are interesting, nothing can beat the very pretty and very cute "Miya-Miya," who might seem to be unsuited for such a demanding sport as kendo, but has another side to to her that makes her perhaps a little too willing to dish out damage. She's completely nuts and we all love her for it.
                  Avatar: Craft Lawrence from Spice and Wolf.
                  Scratchy for Tama is angry.
                  Casually Reviewing: ???

Comment

I'll have to think about this as there are a lot of great athletes here. But I'll go ahead and nominate these two:

Rin Matsuoka, Free!
                    Rin is a swimming prodigy who is not only a great athlete, but a guy with a lot of character as well. Of all the characters in that show, he grew the most as the first season was all about him hitting the wall and finding ways to get over the hump. Then in the second season, he's the one who is helping others get over that hump that includes a teammate who had been trying to tough out an injury, and a rival whose mindset was totally in the wrong place. It's what he did in the second season that earns the shark the nomination as his maturity is on full display.

Chihaya Ayase, Chihayafuru
                    If mahjong is considered a sport, then so is karuta even more so as this is a game that requires quick reflexes and a lot of coaching up. Chihayafuru presents itself as a sports show, and as such that makes Chihaya a sports character. Chihaya is such a dedicated karuta player who is the morale setter of the team. She can be pretty stubborn at times like during the individual tournament at the end of the second season, but there's no doubt that the karuta club rallies around her and that she's a contender to be the queen someday.
                    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Lecia Ivyred, The Rising of the Shield Hero
                    Watching: Kyo Kara Maoh, Pokemon Sun and Moon, Toonami Stuff
                    Simulcasts: FTL, DRO, CQK, RSH, AOT, BSD, FRB, OPM, KYB, FGN, SKS, MLA, SMT, HBS, KOT, MIX, WNL, KMA, FIL, IDM, ISQ, SRG, STW
                    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Not really that into sports anime that much (although I do support the choice of Akari from Battle Athletes). However, there's one name that I feel needs to be included in this list:

Takumi Fujiwara (Initial D) - Street racing
                      Joseph Klemm
                      "Neco-san desu-o!! meeeeowww!"

Spring 2015 Plans
                      Friday: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
                      Saturday: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
                      Sunday: Hello!! Kiniro Mosaic

Comment

Originally posted by Sensuifu View Post
                        ...but let's keep it to characters from specific "sports anime," not just any athletic character. (In the broad sense of sports anime, of course: traditional and non-traditional stuff, like mech racing--but not idol competition, which though certainly athletic and running on similar themes and dynamics, is good for its own series of topics.
                        I was contemplating whether 'cooking' would fall into this category; though like idol shows (..'er, unless it's Wanna Be The Strongest in the World) , that's probably stretching it a bit.
                        Food Wars does complicate things. Food show, sports show, or that cousin of sports shows, a shounen tournament-style show? I guess more the first and last, for this purpose.

Comment

Wow, like, first time in awhile there are five clear winners of the poll. Thanks for voting.

Nominations for current topic are still open...I guess into Saturday.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                          Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                          Widgets Magazine
                          Working...
                          X