Widgets Magazine

TFP's Anime List Project #31: Summer et al (Plus Swimsuit Poll!)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: TFP's Anime List Project #31: Summer et al (Plus Swimsuit Poll!)

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
    Also, I would like to propose that the next Anime List Project to be a sports-themed one since today is the start of the Olympics.
    Hey, how about anime inspired events you'd like to see in the 2020 Olympics? For example...

Hunter x Hunter 16 day hunter exam
    Love, Chunibyou and other Delusions fight exercises - similar to gymnastic floor exercises, the chunibyou display their powers.

Comment

Lots of summertime stories to choose from as obviously, anime is trying to capitalize on opportunities for fanservice, which is something that's possible during the summer more so than any other time of year. Anyway, while I am thinking about which ones to nominate, I will go ahead and put these two in:

Free! Eternal Summer - As this show is about swimming, naturally takes place in the summer. While the first season does a great job in laying the foundation, the show's full potential is realized in this season as the characters overcome a lot of adversity and uncertainty.
      Summer Wars - This movie is so great with the drama and everything.
      And I would like to add one more nomination since this show does take place in the summer:

Steins;Gate - This is one of the best anime shows ever, and it just happens that it's a time travel show that ends up repeating the events of a short time period during the summer when something happens and the MC is trying so hard to change history.

Also, I would like to propose that the next Anime List Project to be a sports-themed one since today is the start of the Olympics.
      hate to be a harbinger of bubble bursting, but there are at least a couple nominations that don't exactly fit the criteria being asked: "things that are specific in referencing Summer themes, setting, symbols, etc. Not just anything that happens to have been set during summer months." I don't exactly see how Steins;Gate, Free!, nor Summer Wars fit this condition. Maybe I'm missing something, but none of these shows have any real significant aspects specifically tied to Summer-centric tropes, especially not Steins;Gate.

Comment

Originally posted by Sensuifu View Post
        Lots of summertime stories to choose from as obviously, anime is trying to capitalize on opportunities for fanservice, which is something that's possible during the summer more so than any other time of year. Anyway, while I am thinking about which ones to nominate, I will go ahead and put these two in:

Free! Eternal Summer - As this show is about swimming, naturally takes place in the summer. While the first season does a great job in laying the foundation, the show's full potential is realized in this season as the characters overcome a lot of adversity and uncertainty.
        Summer Wars - This movie is so great with the drama and everything.
        And I would like to add one more nomination since this show does take place in the summer:

Steins;Gate - This is one of the best anime shows ever, and it just happens that it's a time travel show that ends up repeating the events of a short time period during the summer when something happens and the MC is trying so hard to change history.

hate to be a harbinger of bubble bursting, but there are at least a couple nominations that don't exactly fit the criteria being asked: "things that are specific in referencing Summer themes, setting, symbols, etc. Not just anything that happens to have been set during summer months." I don't exactly see how Steins;Gate, Free!, nor Summer Wars fit this condition. Maybe I'm missing something, but none of these shows have any real significant aspects specifically tied to Summer-centric tropes, especially not Steins;Gate.
        I've been meaning, but unable, to get back to all this. Yeah, while I'm more forgiving for an entire series/movie if it certainly all takes place in Summer, it still has to mean something about Summer and make that clear. I don't know Steins;Gate or Free! that well (though swimming alone isn't specific to summer), but Summer Wars, despite its title, could have taken place during any time of year based on the story alone. Amagi Brilliant Park is another--I'd have to request specific episodes.

Any case, still soliciting nominations for the next day or so. I know there are hundreds of summer-specific stories out there.
        Avatar: Tsumugi, Sweetness & Lightning
        Moderation: General Anime; English Track; Movie; TV | TFP Forum Rules
        Please Support The Fandom Post

Comment

Originally posted by bctaris View Post

(snip) Summer Wars, despite its title, could have taken place during any time of year based on the story alone.
          I'll mount a defense for Summer Wars. Spoilers for Summer Wars if you want to watch it.

Spoiler ->After the matriarch's death, the first attempt to stop Love Machine was made. The fisherman used large ice blocks to cool the super computer that the dealer "borrowed". Shota, the police officer took those ice blocks to slow the decomposition of the Matriarch. Shota meant well, but the summer heat fried the super computer.

Also, one of the great grandchildren was in the High School baseball championship, and as he was having problems in his games, the rest of the family was having problems at the house. At the end of the film, he brought the pennant to the funeral/party. Koshien may be a brand name, but summer is the Japanese time for the nationwide high school championship

On a side note, I agree that the story could take place at any time of year with adjustments to the script. Say a Hollywood studio acquired Summer Wars' live action rights. The story could be rewritten for Thanksgiving.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
          Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
          Widgets Magazine
          Working...
          X