Widgets Magazine

TFP's Anime List Project #31: Summer et al (Plus Swimsuit Poll!)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TFP's Anime List Project #31: Summer et al (Plus Swimsuit Poll!)

Widgets Magazine
    Welcome to the 31st edition of The Fandom Post Anime List Project. Where TFP readers can suggest and vote on lists for a wide array of anime-related topics, sometimes relating to the current anime season.

The poll for the last topic, Best Swimwear, is above. Please select up to but no more than five (5) options! Voting on this poll is open through Sunday, July 31st.

And the winners of the last poll, Favorite Summer Festivals:

5.) Cardcaptor Sakura, ep. 18 "Sakura, Yukito, and the Summer Festival"
    4.) Encouragement of Climb (Season 2), ep. 24 "Farewell to Our Summer"
    3.) Monthly Girls Nozaki-kun, ep. 12 "If This Feeling Isn't Love, Then There Is No Love In The World"
    2.) Sound of the Sky, ep. 7 "The Song of Cicadas - Spirits Down the River"
    1.) K-On!! (Season 2), ep. 13 "Late Summer Postcard!"

And next: Favorite Summer Stories. Simple, lazy last Summer-themed topic, for a lazy (hot) Summer: your favorite summer-themed episode, set of episodes, series, movie, whatever.

Please reply to this root post with up to five (5) nominations. Nominations are open through Sunday, July 31st.

(If you have a topic suggestion, please feel free to post that here, as well.)

Thanks!
    Urd (Ah! My Goddess)
    3.33%
    Isuzu Sento (Amagi Brilliant Park)
    13.33%
    President Aria (Aria)
    3.33%
    Yamada (B Gata H Kei)
    1.67%
    Mikoto Misaka (A Certain Scientific Railgun)
    3.33%
    Suzuno Kamazuki (The Devil is a Part-Timer!)
    6.67%
    Miho Amakata (Free!)
    1.67%
    Ranpha Franboise (Galaxy Angel)
    1.67%
    Yuzu Koyama (Girls und Panzer)
    1.67%
    Sena Kashiwazaki (Haganai)
    1.67%
    Ms. Yoshinoya (Hidamari Sketch)
    5.00%
    Rias Gremory (High School DxD)
    3.33%
    Akeno Himejima (High School DxD)
    5.00%
    Sylphynford Tachibana (Himouto! Umaru-chan)
    0.00%
    Rikka Takanashi (Love, Chunibyo and Other Delusions)
    3.33%
    Akane Aikawa (Magic Users Club)
    3.33%
    Yuzuka Hanami (Mahou Shoujo Nante Mouiidesukara)
    3.33%
    Mikuru Asahina (The Melancholy of Haruhi Susumiya)
    3.33%
    Sakura Chiyo (Monthly Girls Nozaki-kun)
    3.33%
    Aki Muroto (Photo Kano)
    1.67%
    Galko (Please Tell Me! Galko-chan)
    3.33%
    Aria Shichijo (Seitokai Yakuindomo)
    0.00%
    Naga the White Serpent (Slayers)
    0.00%
    Scarlet (Space Dandy)
    3.33%
    Ayako Hanabishi (Tenamonya Voyagers)
    1.67%
    Lum (Urusei Yatsura)
    5.00%
    Celia Cumani Aintree (Walkure Romanze)
    3.33%
    Minami Ikoma (The World God Only Knows)
    3.33%
    Aoi Futaba (You're Under Arrest!)
    1.67%
    Miyuki Kobayakawa (You're Under Arrest!)
    3.33%
    Natsumi Tsujimoto (You're Under Arrest!)
    3.33%
    Yuushibu girls (Yuushibu)
    1.67%

The poll is expired.

Avatar: Tsumugi, Sweetness & Lightning
    Moderation: General Anime; English Track; Movie; TV | TFP Forum Rules
    Please Support The Fandom Post

Re: TFP's Anime List Project #31: Summer et al (Plus Swimsuit Poll!)

By the way, this is for things that are specific in referencing Summer themes, setting, symbols, etc. Not just anything that happens to have been set during summer months.

So, for instance, I'll nominate:

Niea_7 - The whole series takes place in Summer (during lead character's Mayuko's summer cram school) and is drenched in everything about it: the heat, anxiety, boredom, food, games, and nostalgia for Summer's past.
    K-On!! (season 2) episodes 11-14 - The Summer Episodes, natch.

Comment

Tenchi Muyo!:Manatsu no Eve - Christmas in July, but it's predominantly 'Summerish' with fireworks, Startica/Tanabata festivals, cold soba, watermelon, 'lazing around and doing nothing'. :D
      Aria The Natural ep. 12 Poor Akari... shouldn't really be staying out too long in the intense heatwave. At least she finds a nice windchime.
      The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Endless Eight.. self explanatory
      Non Non Biyori ep 4-6 The country bumpkins enjoying the Summer- from Renge's heartbreak over Honoka's departure to Komari's ghostcapades...'tis the easy life.
      Arakawa Under The Bridge x Bridge ep.11 Bon festival + Amazoness + surfing Nino = Win
      Last edited by Sensuifu; 07-26-2016, 12:45 PM.

Comment

An obvious one, from the title, is Air in Summer from the Air TV series.

The Devil is a Part-Timer! Ep. 9 features Tanabata and Ep. 10 has a trip to a water park, so it's very much a strong Summer pair.

If I think of more, I'll add them later.
        Avatar: Craft Lawrence from Spice and Wolf.
        Scratchy for Tama is angry.
        Casually Reviewing: ???

Comment

My two contributions to the poll:

Kiniro Mosaic ep. 6: Photos of Karen's trip to Hawaii + Camping Trip + Summer Festival + the horrors of having to get Summer homework done.
          Mahou Sensei Negima! ~ Shiroki Tsubasa~ ALA ALBA: AKA Ken Akamatsu getting all the main summer stuff out of the way before the trip the Magic World.
          Joseph Klemm
          "Neco-san desu-o!! meeeeowww!"

Spring 2015 Plans
          Friday: JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
          Saturday: My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
          Sunday: Hello!! Kiniro Mosaic

Comment

Too many to choose from! Here are two I can think of right now:
            Waiting in the Summer
            Hidamari Sketch ep 2 21st August: Japan's Summer

Comment

Lots of summertime stories to choose from as obviously, anime is trying to capitalize on opportunities for fanservice, which is something that's possible during the summer more so than any other time of year. Anyway, while I am thinking about which ones to nominate, I will go ahead and put these two in:

Free! Eternal Summer - As this show is about swimming, naturally takes place in the summer. While the first season does a great job in laying the foundation, the show's full potential is realized in this season as the characters overcome a lot of adversity and uncertainty.
              Summer Wars - This movie is so great with the drama and everything.
              MyAnimeList | Avatar: Nanako Yukishiro, Senryu Girl
              Watching: Stellvia, Baki, Toonami Stuff
              Simulcasts: FTL, TOA-I, TSL, SAO, KTF, CQK, KMF, DAL, TSH, PNL, More TBD
              The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Two episodes from Season 1 of You're Under Arrest! are my noms:

File 45, "A Summer's Day Together": Miyuki, Natsumi & Toukairin run an errand for Oshou by taking a scroll to his mother who lives out in the country. This centers mostly on Natsumi & Toukairin (Still rivals at this point) but a visit to the grave of Toukarin's sempai plus being caught in a summer shower while returning with groceries for lunch starts bringing them both closer together. It culminates two episodes later with what is without a doubt my favorite episode of the series:

File 48, "The End of Summer": Toukairin's been reassigned to his home station in Toyama Prefecture & after his going-away party at Bokuto Precinct (Which Natsumi was late for but with good reason-She revisited the grave of Toukairin's sempai before going to the party) he & Natsumi spend one last night together drinking beer & talking. The next day, a misunderstanding about a tendo point & their arm-wrestling for the last beer has Natsumi heading to the airport & catching Toukairin before he got on his flight home-A short argument ensues with it ending with them finally...Well, let's just say that they got there long before Ken & Miyuki ever did or ever will (There's still hope for them though, right? ).

I'll post more if I think of some.
                Avatar: The 2018 NL East Champion Atlanta Braves
                FilmAF / MAL /Games / Figures
                Moderator Patrol Route: Movie & TV Discussions, Questioning Fandom

Comment

Bctaris forgot one summer episode, so I will nominate…

K-on!! episode 27, “Plan!”

Waiting in line for a passport has never been more entertaining. Also, an intersting display of self defense by Azunyan and Mugi. This episode takes place after episode 13 and during episode 14. Our summer portion takes place in the park where an impractical lessons on self defense and English take place. Also Azusa Nakano, unofficial spokswoman for Macchu Picchu.

Strayberry Marshmallow Episode 6, “Hot Summer Day”

Air conditioning, a must have item. Install a unit in a place like Chiuka’s room, it’s nothing special. Add Miu Matsuoka, and it makes for 25 minutes of good entertainment. Watching Matsuri struggle with a hill and a vending machine in the summer heat was good for a minute, too.

PaniPoni Dash! Episode 9, “There Are Eight Year Old Sages, and 100 Year Old Kids.”

Paniponi Dash! is ridiculous enough, but take Rebecca Miyamoto, and put her on a dangerous archeological expedition on a dangerous island, and it’s prime entertainment! Add Media, the highly skilled and powerful maid, and a little bit of Rebecca’s backstory and it’s all around summer fun.

Tamako Market Episode 6 “It’s Chilled Even My Spine” Japan associates summer with haunted houses, I wonder why? Anyway, Tamako wants to make an attraction for Usagiyama because customers aren’t coming. Thanks to a lot of misunderstandings by the adults, and Mistress Kanna’s master planning, the haunted house is a success!

Cardcaptor Sakura, Episode 16 “Sakura and the Rainbow of Memories”

Fujitaka has reserved a cabin in the mountains to escape the summer heat, and bought his family along. Yukito is also coming along as a guest. While taking a stroll, Sakura meets an old man at his summer home. Over the span of her stay, Sakura learns that the old man misses his granddaughter. Sakura, wanting to return the man’s kindness gives the old man a special memory.

This episode was infamous because of its content and its effect on Pioneer. It was weird watching this episode the first time. A whole lot of uhh, and uhm, and this was back in the fansub days.

What happened to Pioneer/Geneon? Paraphrasing from an old ANNcast episode, former Geneon USA head of marketing, Chad Kime said Cardcaptor Sakura’s first three volumes sold 15,000. Delaying volume 4 cut sales in half. Geneon delayed volume 4 due to its content in order to preserve the tv broadcast contract.
                  Last edited by Hrld; 07-31-2016, 05:25 AM.

Comment

I have to second two that have already been listed: Summer Wars, which I just re-watched earlier this week (dude, it's a summer tradition) and the Endless Eight arc from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. EE truly is a marathon for the viewers, even those of us who most love Haruhi and wish they would adapt more of the novels, but it really hits the summer time like few things out there, and manages to convey the impact on one Nagato Yuki like no other way possibly could. Summer Wars, asks the simple question to its viewers: Is this movie freaking brilliant, or is this movie freaking brilliant?

What else is new to nominate? Really, the entire Amagi Brilliant Park series, as the entire series is set against a summertime backdrop, in the race to save the park before summer ends. I'll have to rewatch it to se if any episodes highlight summer more than others. While this isn't as bad as trying to limit the swimsuit category, there are so many good summer episodes out there, I hate to think what I'm forgetting. :D
                    My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
                    1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
                    2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
                    3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

While I may extend nominations for Summer Stories, voting in the poll ends tonight. So please vote!

Comment

Originally posted by Hrld View Post
                        Bctaris forgot one summer episode, so I will nominate…

K-on!! episode 27, “Plan!”

Waiting in line for a passport has never been more entertaining. Also, an intersting display of self defense by Azunyan and Mugi. This episode takes place after episode 13 and during episode 14. Our summer portion takes place in the park where an impractical lessons on self defense and English take place. Also Azusa Nakano, unofficial spokswoman for Macchu Picchu.
                        It's because I haven't finished watching the series yet, so I haven't gotten to that episode. But does it make sense to combine that with eps 11-14, or to be left on its own?

Comment

Originally posted by bctaris View Post
                          It's because I haven't finished watching the series yet, so I haven't gotten to that episode. But does it make sense to combine that with eps 11-14, or to be left on its own?
                          Go ahead and combine the episodes! Make this a joint nomination.

Comment

Another show with plenty of summer episodes: Seitokai Yakuindomo. The show has a number of summer themed episodes through both seasons and both OVA series. I can definitely relate to those episodes where the heat is hitting the gang.
                            My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
                            1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
                            2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
                            3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
                              Lots of summertime stories to choose from as obviously, anime is trying to capitalize on opportunities for fanservice, which is something that's possible during the summer more so than any other time of year. Anyway, while I am thinking about which ones to nominate, I will go ahead and put these two in:

Free! Eternal Summer - As this show is about swimming, naturally takes place in the summer. While the first season does a great job in laying the foundation, the show's full potential is realized in this season as the characters overcome a lot of adversity and uncertainty.
                              Summer Wars - This movie is so great with the drama and everything.
                              And I would like to add one more nomination since this show does take place in the summer:

Steins;Gate - This is one of the best anime shows ever, and it just happens that it's a time travel show that ends up repeating the events of a short time period during the summer when something happens and the MC is trying so hard to change history.

Also, I would like to propose that the next Anime List Project to be a sports-themed one since today is the start of the Olympics.
                              MyAnimeList | Avatar: Nanako Yukishiro, Senryu Girl
                              Watching: Stellvia, Baki, Toonami Stuff
                              Simulcasts: FTL, TOA-I, TSL, SAO, KTF, CQK, KMF, DAL, TSH, PNL, More TBD
                              The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X