X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Summer 2016] Mob Psycho 100 Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    モブサイコ100

A show about a psychic boy who is trying to find his purpose in life seeing that he is doing everything he can to not use them in public.

Airs: Monday, July 11

Studio: Bones

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

Shigeo Kageyama (a.k.a. "Mob") is a 8th grader with psychic abilities. He could bend spoons and lift objects with his mind from a young age, but he slowly began to withhold from using his abilities in public due to the negative attention he kept receiving. Now, the only thing he wants is to become friends with a girl in his class, Tsubomi. With his psychic "mentor" (who has no psychic powers), he continues his daily life, attempting to realize his purpose in life.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Nanako Yukishiro, Senryu Girl
    Watching: Ingress, Ancient Magus' Bride, Pokemon Sun and Moon, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, DRO, CQK, RSH, AOT, BSD, FRB, OPM, KYB, FGN, SKS, MLA, SMT, HBS, KOT, MIX, WNL, KMA, FIL, IDM, ISQ, SRG, STW
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

There's light at the end of the tunnel.

So Mob's first assignment is to exorcises some ghosts inside a tunnel, which are that of a biker gang that perished when somebody slipped on a banana peel causing a pileup inside the tunnel. After defeating one of the ghosts it turns out that somebody was pulling the strings. Just leave it to Mob to take care of him, and all is well. That was pretty funny there, but the one thing that stands out, and at the very least not in an appealing way, is the animation as it's pretty bizarre and stylish. Anyway, I'll give it some more episodes before deciding what I want to so with this show.
    Simulcasts: FTL, DRO, CQK, RSH, AOT, BSD, FRB, OPM, KYB, FGN, SKS, MLA, SMT, HBS, KOT, MIX, WNL, KMA, FIL, IDM, ISQ, SRG, STW
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

It's Psychic One-Punch Man !

Mob is basically a psychic version of Saitama, which is cool because Saitama was pretty awesome and Mob appears to be in the same mode as ONE's signature character. Animation was pretty much what I expected from a ONE adaptation - excellent art style and well choreographed. Madhouse did a great job adapting One-Punch Man and so far BONES is not having any real issues adapting this show. Just needs to flesh out the plotlines and this show could be just as good as OPM.
      Currently Watching | MAL Profile
      Let's make anime great again!

Comment

Obviously this was never going to look anywhere as good as the version of One Punch Man we know since it never got a version by a brilliant illustrator, instead stuck in ONE's crude art style, but his comedic talent is still enough to keep it going, and they do some very creative things with the unique visuals and great animation.
        My Top Anime | Manga
        My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
        My FP Reviews | Twitter
        FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Nekoing Bones showing off here. This anime is basically Bones showing of their awezome skills. The visuals were gureito. Reigan is a funny sunovabitch. Acting like a psychic when his only attack is throwing table salt which doesn't even do anything. And he charges a hell lot of cash for little things. What a bastard. And if a spirit actually shows up, he calls in his student, Mob. And why Mob is the student of this loser is a mystery so far. Mob believes that Reigan is a top class psychic with unparalleled strength. Lol it would be pretty hilarious if Reigan actually turns out to be a psychic and he didn't even know it lol.

Mob is a nobody at school. He isn't good at studies, he panics at crucial moments, he isn't much social, he isn't good with girls or people in general, he isn't the least bit athletic, he's a total loser. But his psychic abilities make him useful and somewhat less of a nobody but no one knows about his abilities anyway. And he is probably going to blow up with his powers going out of control if that meter was anything to go by with.

Lol ONE sure likes butt chins. This episode had some random butt chin guy and OPM had a butt chin kid right in the start.

The ED was cool and the OP was so random lol. This was a pretty fun episode. The jokes were funny but it had a little issue which made the jokes less funny on impact. The artwork is... well.... okay I guess lol. The visuals, the explosions, those colors were pretty damn sugoi. Definitely a keeper. Last year was Madhouse on a roll, this year is Bones blowing away everything.
          My ReviewsMy MAL ProfileMy Anime List

Comment

Artwork reminded me a bit of the Beatles Yellow Submarine movie. My reaction to first episode: Not that impressed. I went back to watch the first episode of OPM just for comparison, and ended up watching the 2nd, and going to binge on more in a bit. I'll give this show a bit more time, but this ain't no OPM, at least after one episode.
            My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
            1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
            2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
            3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

Episode 2

He's not into clubs.

That was pretty funny seeing Mob going trap to do an exorcism job at an all-girls high school. Those disguises were lame, but thanks to Reigen, he was able to do what he needed to do. Then there's the Telepathy Club courting him to join seeing that they are a member short, and clubs just aren't his thing. And in the end, he joins the club, not that one but the club taking over the room in the Body Improvement Club. Things are just so psycho in this show.

So with that, I'll give it another episode or two before deciding what to do. While the show looks ugly, the humor has been pretty good. But I won't say one way or the other until I evaluate its position among the other borderline shows.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

After all that, Mob forsakes the nerdy losers who are more like him (except he actually has the gift they seek, or at least use as their pretense) to join the Body Improvement Club. Well considering that his club of choice does seem to be serious and welcoming, it was actually probably a better decision than to waste his time away with those four so they could keep their room. We'll see how it works out for him, considering his physical state compared to the rest of that club.
                My Top Anime | Manga
                My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                My FP Reviews | Twitter
                FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Re: Episode 2

So Mob is being forced to join the Telepathy Club because they need another member otherwise they'll be disbanded. Reigan believes that these kids just want their room to laze around in and it's not like they're gonna save the school from shutting down or anything.

And this week's mission is to enter an all girls school to meet the clients who want a spirit exorcised. Lol Reigan dressed as a girl. And he gets mistaken for some pervert and even makes the news lol. So Mob enters the school alone and because of his size, the girls have a hard time believing that this is the kid who will help them. And then we get some Bones goodness when Mob takes care of the perverted spirit. And while disappearing, the spirit asks if Mob is living his school life to its fullest or not.

And that makes Mob seriously ponder upon it. He doesn't have any hobby, any real purpose for doing anything, he isn't that interested in studies, he doesn't have any clear life goals, he isn't good at anything in particular, he was just joining the club because he felt that he should be in a club because that's what middle schoolers do. After thinking hard about it, he joins the body improvement club because that will help him get a better body and then help in confessing to Tsubomi successfully. (lol he just let the Telepathy Club disband because neko them, Mob's gotta improve his body, who's got time for some Telepathy Club losers) Asking Reigan if he was missing out on the true middle school experience didn't give any positive results as that guy just wanted to make money out of Mob. Lol when Mob started the conversation he thought that maybe he found out about him being a fake or if he thought his pay was too little.

If that flashback really was a flashback, then it appears that Mob was either her friend in childhood or they were in the same class in elementary school. And it appears that she is the kind of girl who gets bored with things easily including humans. She got bored of Mob's psychic powers of making things float. But then again, maybe Mob wasn't showing off his powers to her properly. But after getting bored of Mob, she went on to get interested in another boy doing something.

Mob has found something to do in middle school for the first time, apart from that part-time exorcism thingy.

The comedy felt a little down here for some reason. The visuals were still gureito but it felt less funny here. The episode had other stuff related to Mob which was nice and made up for the somewhat lack of funniness.

Comment

Episode 3

I knew it was coming, but seeing Mob throw weights all over the place with his mind and then get his full body pulled down by trying to lift one up with his own strength was still hilarious.

Some action more in the vein of what we expect from One Punch Man, and while obviously nowhere near that level of quality, heavily stylized to still be thoroughly engaging.
                    My Top Anime | Manga
                    My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                    My FP Reviews | Twitter
                    FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Re: Episode 3

This is no laughing matter.

While Mob's commitment to improve his body to become less dependent on his psychic powers is admirable, he's just not cut out for the Body Improvement club's rigorous training routines. So his next case is to put a stop to a cult called the LOL led by Dimple, and he tries to make him laugh and fails. Mob just doesn't feel anything, and that's a good thing in this case to put that evil spirit out of its funny misery. That was a pretty good episode there.

So with that, I'll give it one more episode. While there are a lot of good things about this show, I'm not exactly on-board with this show as that animation style gets me into this show a lot less that I should be. Anyway, I'll at least complete its trial period.

Comment

Re: Episode 3

So Mob is trying his best to have a better physique since psychic powers don't make girls like you. Lol when he showed off his psychic powers to the telepathy club. And they led to his desire to try and learn telepathy, but Reigan doesn't know how, obviously, so Mob is disappointed. Lol that woman was seriously guessing what could be troubling Mob and the kid was actually surprised when she guessed correctly after three wrong guesses dammit. She's fooling you, idiot! LOL was so creepy and funny. Dimple was luring in random people and using his hypnotic powers to make them laugh like retards all to become popular and start a new religion with him as the leader of the laughing retards. But Mob was the only one not laughing because the weak power in the mask didn't work on him and because Dimple was too weak for him and also because he was simply unamused. And then Mob let out a flurry of emotions as he was pissed at Dimple. That was him blowing up. And he became one hell of a badass. Badass Mob is amwazing.

Mob had psychic abilities but subconsciously kept things under control. When he grew up he consciously kept his powers locked within. He began to express his true self less and less until he became more or less emotionless. But when his emotions swell up enough, he blows up like this. Here he let out all his rage on Dimple and obliterated him. And to avoid stuff like this, Mob kept himself in check and ended up becoming emotionless. It's probably kinda like if he gets a really strong emotion, he could lose control over himself and end up doing stuff he would regret later on. Would be interesting to see Mob let out a different emotion. And Reigan probably saw something like this happen and took advantage of that to get Mob in with him in his exorcism business. Interesting stuff in this episode. The animation was outstanding as expected and badass Mob made things even more awesome.

Comment

Episode 4

Never use psychic powers against humans.

Here comes Teru, and he's another psychic user from a rival school, who beats Tenga and gang to a pulp with them. So his gang kidnaps Mob, and the Body Improvement Club come in to beat up everybody, but proves to be no match for Teru. But he still has to face Mob, whose MO is to never use psychic powers to harm humans unless the situation calls for it. That Teru sure is a badass there, but seeing that he had been using his psychic powers for all the wrong reasons that I'm thinking that by fighting Mob, he will realize the error of his ways.

So with that, I think that will be it for me with this show as I need to cut back somewhere, and while the content is nice, I'm just having a hard time putting up with the animation style this show has.

Comment

Re: Episode 4

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
                            and the Body Improvement Club come in to beat up everybody
                            Actually, they didn't. They were just planning on leaving once Kageyama was safe and with them. Kageyama did good in choosing them a few episodes ago. They're good guys, though like Kageyama, that makes them just as easy for Onigawara to fool and set them up for a fight. So far Kageyama has just battled spirits, but now there's a living person with psychic powers with a very different philosophy about using them. Definitely curious how this is going to go down.

Comment

Re: Episode 4

Mob has found himself a genuine rival, another kid around his age with impressive psychic powers, but as someone who believes himself to be the most gifted individual and abuses his powers, Mob is exactly the unassuming, well-meaning god of psychic abilities he needs to be put in his place.
                              My Top Anime | Manga
                              My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                              My FP Reviews | Twitter
                              FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...