X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Summer 2016] Time Travel Girl Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    タイムトラベル少女~マリ・ワカと8人の科学者たち~

A show about a girl traveling through time to meet famous scientist from the past who made breakthrough inventions and huge discoveries to advance science.

Airs: Saturday, July 2

Studio: WAO World

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Funimation

Mari Hayase is on a mission to go back in time and meet eight of the most prominent scientists and inventors in history. With the help of her two friends Waka Mizuki and Jun Mizuki she'll find herself up close and personal with famous figures like Benjamin Franklin, Alexander Graham Bell, Thomas Edison, and so many more.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Asirpa, Golden Kamuy
    Watching: Utawarerumono: The False Faces, Golden Wind
    Simulcasts: HZG, DKD, FRB, KGY, TOA-R, OGF, 8NT, ART, BNA, GLP. KKG, LSN, SKT, SBA, YFM, TOG, WLN, A3A, PCR, SHV
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Why does the compass needle always point north?

I came in expecting it to be another kids show given its time slot, and for the most part it is kid-friendly. So Mari's father is such a big name scientist, but he secretly invented a time-traveling device that Mari stumbled upon, and now she's in the past to meet these famous scientists in the book. First up is William Gilbert, and after seeing Shun save Futa from that nasty injury that it is only fitting that she sees an expert doctor. Pretty amusing to see Mari dressing up in clothes appropriate for the time, as well as trying to do CPR herself. Anyway, I enjoyed the first episode enough to keep going for now seeing that there's something about her father as he has been away for too long.
    Simulcasts: HZG, DKD, FRB, KGY, TOA-R, OGF, 8NT, ART, BNA, GLP. KKG, LSN, SKT, SBA, YFM, TOG, WLN, A3A, PCR, SHV
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

Hah, I was wondering if them conveniently speaking Japanese in London of 1600 would ever be addressed. Then it actually did come up, rather amusingly. I guess the time travel pendant of hers may double as a universal communication device or something.

I was also curious about the blushing maid which was unexplained at first too. But ah, that's why. Mari's school uniform is scandalous by the standards of the time.

Comment

....and Ms. Frizzle is nowhere in sight. Huh, even the art is somewhat a throwback to the early 2000s

Originally posted by EmperorBrandon View Post
        Hah, I was wondering if them conveniently speaking Japanese in London of 1600 would ever be addressed. Then it actually did come up, rather amusingly. I guess the time travel pendant of hers may double as a universal communication device or something.
        and it seemed Mari still didn't get the clue after the fact.

I was also curious about the blushing maid which was unexplained at first too. But ah, that's why. Mari's school uniform is scandalous by the standards of the time.
        heh, knew exactly what the maid's issue was at that scene. Wasn't expecting they'd do anything about it, but nice they actually made it semi-believable...really though, would fitting a girl Mari's size in a corset be that difficult?

Comment

For an educational kids' show, it could be worse. Certainly doesn't break away from expectations enough to inspire me to watch it anyway, though.
          My Top Anime | Manga
          My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
          My FP Reviews | Twitter
          FPR Episodes | Apple

Comment

So Mari is an idiot. Lol her answer to that first question. That was pretty hilarious lol. Her father is a scientist and can time travel through whatever invention he made. It activates when that compass thingy and that book come close enough I think. It also has something to do with the scientist on that page as it sends the compass thingy bearer to that scientist. And she gets sent to William Gilbert, whoever that guy is. Well, if this show is gonna be serious about the scientists and whatever they did, this could be interesting. If anything, at least I'll find out who Gilbert was. I seriously have no clue who that guy is, maybe because I don't care about the scientist and only care about what that guy did.

Anyway, there are some people, probably in the government, who are after Mari's dad. They're probably after his research and want to use it for evil purposes or whatever. Maybe this is just to add some tension and not restrict this show to just a highschool science lesson or whatever.

This was a bit above okay level. The artwork could have used a bit more attention though.
            My ReviewsMy MAL ProfileMy Anime List

Comment

Episode 2

The world is like a magnet.

It sure was tough living in England back in the day when everything the church said was law, and even if the truth is out there, the church got in the way of everything. But thanks to Mari, Gilbert was able to prove that the planet is like a magnet to explain why the compass always points north, and that came from the way Mari was baking her spherical cake for Futa. That was educational there, and especially in the omake segment where Mari thinks that there's a magnet hidden beneath the surface, which is impossible as there's no way it can withstand the high heat beneath the surface. And just like that, Mari is back to the present.

So with that, chances are this show won't make the final cut, but I'm willing to go another episode or two of this.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

I don't know...despite this being for younger children, having crude production aspects, and the subject matter isn't exactly engaging as narratives go, there's a nostalgic charm to it that is keeping my interest right now. Not sure if that was the intent, though it obviously could be considering it looks like something taken from the late 90s/early 2000s. Some of it is cute at times, mainly with Mari acting and having the intelligence of it's supposed target audience, but it's not obnoxiously cute where I feel my brain capacity drop to a level where I'd clap my feet and arms like a pacified toddler watching Bananya.

Comment

Ah, so now Mari gets to see some of the adversity scientists have faced, particularly in the past when it clashed with religious doctrine. Wasn't expecting something like that, so it was interesting that it came up. Apart from his science, Bruno did have some theological views that the Church found heretical (and not just Rome in particular: the Protestant churches thought him as such too). Not that it really makes anything better, of course. And Mari ends up being transported back on a rather somber note, though she had gotten the science lesson already. That maid looking after her was rather sweet.

They looked him up on Wikipedia, and I ended up doing the same, because I was curious looking at the dates that Gilbert only seemed to live a few years past the point Mari met him. Yikes... bubonic plague.

It's like a homework assignment from dad. Heh, I love how they don't even hide that aspect of the show. I'm definitely hoping to see Waka join Mari's adventures now. And we get Benjamin Franklin next! Looking forward to seeing how he's portrayed.

Comment

So according to this show, a moe moe girl making cake is the reason behind the world now knowing why a compass always points north. And now we'll get to know how this same moe moe girl helped humans use electricity.

Anyway, at one point this felt like I was watching some high school science lecture. And I'm not even that much into physics and shit. However, I did like that touch about the plight of scientists back in the days when the church was so stubborn and didn't want to accept the scientific discoveries since they'd be proven wrong and in the process they tried to eliminate scientists speaking the truth and proving the church's science wrong. Guess they're not going for a fictional history and are keeping to facts as much as possible save for the presence of a Japanese moe girl in those time periods in different countries.

The stuff about the time travel logic should get some more detail especially after they showed that Mari spent two days in 1600 while only three or so hours passed in present times.

I'm really not sold on its presentation mainly because I'm not interested in studying physics while watching animes. I do, however, appreciate the stuff like Mari's clothes being considered obscene in that period while being perfectly normal in most societies nowadays and the stuff about the troubles scientists went through to achieve what we consider general knowledge nowadays. But the latter stuff is just secondary as its main purpose is kinda to be an educational show with seriously educational stuff and I'm personally not all that into it. I'll give it another episode to see if the secondary stuff gets me good enough to continue or not.

Comment

Episode 3

So according to this show, a cute moe moe girl made that kite for Ben Franklin and that very walking piece of moe played a role in the abolishing of slavery. Moe girls making the world a better place.

So we have Ben Franklin here. I seriously doubt he was a handsome lolicon lol. He constantly tried to convince the church that this lightning is electricity and putting up a lightning rod would save lives. But the church was against putting up a metal rod. The part about Mari worrying about the slave kid was interesting. Franklin couldn't understand why she was so worried about someone considered to be below them in society.

The presentation here was a bit better. It didn't feel like a science lecture here which is nice. If the rest of the episodes are like this presentation-wise, it'd be better. They should keep the educational part while not coming off as a boring lecture.

Comment

Episode 4

Weakest episode so far. I really preferred their style where Mari goes into the past and we see how the scientist accomplished what they did and then those stuff about the past which are not seen in the present etc. Here Mari didn't see Volta make that cell he was known for and on top of that we get some crappie development that Mari's dad is some time traveling hero who changes the past to make things right. (kinda reminds me of that cartoon, Time Squad, which did the same thing lol). Really not liking this development. Mari did experience a war first hand as Austrian soldiers were forcefully taking things away from citizens for the war and one of Volta's students was shot in front of her. That was interesting. But the part about Eiji being a time traveling hero was kinda unnecessary I think. They should just stick to having Mari learn things by going into the past and showing the scientists accomplish their feat. Also, Volta was one hell of a magician, making a moe moe girl appear out of nowhere. Would be pretty hilarious if they show something like some history books mentioning stuff like this which happened because of Mari.

Comment

Episode 5

So this time Waka goes to meet the scientist in the past along with Mari. And they meet Faraday, the electromagnetism guy. Faraday wasn't educated which is something quite surprising since I had assumed that most scientists discovering stuff related to physics or whatever would at least know what maths is. Faraday completed the electromagnetism experiment which Sir Davy and his friend failed at. And his thesis got accepted which pissed off Davy because he took it as this illiterate bastard taking credit for something he did. Faraday is trying out stuff even though he isn't as literate as most scientists out there. His lack of acquaintance with maths isn't stopping him. But Davy saying those things to him will probably dishearten him a bit after which he'll find his resolve next week based on the next episode title.

The people after Hayase's experiment don't know what exactly he was doing. They think that he's just transporting stuff from here to there whereas the man is actually doing time travel. The apple came back rotten because it spent some days out in some unknown time period in some unknown land. And now those guys are paying a visit to the Hayase residence.

Lol when Mari told Faraday that she made the kite for Franklin's experiment. A moe girl played such an important role. We also got that bit about the girls' short leg revealing skirts being looked at with disgust. Mrs Davy considered the two girls immoral or whatever for such short skirts. And only one person can be transported at once without the system overloading so one of them was sent back. Now Waka is alone in 19th century London with some illiterate dude who looks hot and plays with electricity and magnets lol.

What I want from this show is more focus on the scientists and their troubles rather than Hayase's troubles with whatever person. The latter part really isn't getting me good while the former is pretty neatly done.

Comment

Episode 7

I might be forgetting, but have we've ever seen Mari's mom get upset/angry over her bad grades? I find it kind of refreshing she isn't running down her throat about it, rather, she's taking a more understanding approach in encouraging Mari to keep on truckin'. Even Shun has words of encouragement, which helps motivate Mari to strive until she sees results. Interestingly enough, it seems to have paid off, because Mari ends up as the General Director of Science and Technology in the future... :D that is, according to the book, which is curiously all written in English (implying it was written by someone else).

Funny how Waka hopes to have something develop between her brother and Mari, not to mention Mari's mom also hinting to the same intent. Loved that little retort from Mari when her Dad complains about her being like her mom. :D

Comment

Re: Episode 7

So Shun has discovered how to work this time traveling machine and he sends Mari into the past and then sends her seven or so years ahead. And here we have Mr. Eiji messing.around with important historical people and then having to make up for his mistakes. Don't nekoing mess with them in the first place dammit!

The book wasn't written by Eiji – it came from the future during one of his experiments. And in that book it is written that Professor Shun does something sugoi in the field of time travel and Mari also does something cool related to whatever Shun does. So the book could have been sent by Shun during the time travel experiments by Eiji. And it could be here so that Mari learns stuff and then go on to make those big contributions similar to how Eiji is travelling through time to help those scientists do their scientific job.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X