Widgets Magazine

Currently Watching (Summer 2016 Edition)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Summer 2016] Currently Watching (Summer 2016 Edition)

Widgets Magazine
    The heat is on as the summer season has just begun. So with that, it's time to start another Currently Watching thread for Summer 2016.

The link to the Spring 2016 Edition
    Summer 2016 Anime Chart
    Summer 2016 Anime Lineup Thread

Note
    - Change the title of your post to reflect the contents.
    - Do not use the Reply to Thread button; instead, click quote on the post you wish to reply to, or on this post if you're starting a new subthread.
    - Edit down the quoted section to the relevant bits, nobody needs to read someone's epic list of watched stuff twice.
    - Be nice to one another.
    - Please discuss only what you are watching this season in this thread. Stuff watched during other seasons should be discussed in their respective threads.

Also, I'd like to add the following. The Currently Watching Thread is mainly meant for a general overview of how you're currently feeling about shows. It is not supposed to be a replacement for actual discussion threads. Try to keep heavier discussion (if possible) in the more specific discussion threads.

In addition, try to be careful of spoilers here. It's one thing if it's properly tagged and such. However, I don't want people to have to worry about someone randomly posting "Wow, X died in episode 17 of Y". Just a randomly made up example, but you get the idea.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Asirpa, Golden Kamuy
    Watching: Utawarerumono: The False Faces, Golden Wind
    Simulcasts: HZG, DKD, FRB, KGY, TOA-R, OGF, 8NT, ART, BNA, GLP. KKG, LSN, SKT, SBA, YFM, TOG, WLN, A3A, PCR, SHV
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Buckeye's Summer 2016 Anime Viewership Plan

It's time that I begin to plan out my season as far as watching anime goes. Like always, this list is tentative as not only will I obviously not get to everything on this list, but I'll also be watching stuff that wasn't on this list. So with that, here's what I'm looking to watch this season. One change I'm making for this season is that whenever I am rewatching something, I will always used the ^ symbol to denote it. That applies for the post-simulcast reviews and other stuff when in the past, it was just for the final report.

From the Beginning
    The Seven Deadly Sins
    Kuromukuro
    Ajin
    Magi: Adventures of Sinbad
    ^Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic
    ^Magi: The Kingdom of Magic
    ^Your Lie in April
    ^Free!
    ^Free! Eternal Summer
    Hakkenden
    Legend of the Legendary Heroes
    One Piece
    Future Card Buddyfight DDD

Continuing Shows
    Dragon Ball Z Kai (from episode 70)
    Fairy Tail (from episode 234)
    Hunter x Hunger (from episode 11)
    ^Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans (from episode 5)
    Naruto Shippuden (from episode 89)
    Pokemon XYZ (from episode 18)
    Rurouni Kenshin (from episode 63)

One note is that even though Kuromukuro is a show for this season, I'm only watching up to episode 13, which all aired the previous season as the rest of the series will not be available until October. So with that, here is the link to the post on the anime lineup page to assess the preseason chances that I will watch each show: LINK

So to begin the season, I am starting off with The Seven Deadly Sins as I'm prioritizing Netflix exclusive stuff during July.
    Simulcasts: HZG, DKD, FRB, KGY, TOA-R, OGF, 8NT, ART, BNA, GLP. KKG, LSN, SKT, SBA, YFM, TOG, WLN, A3A, PCR, SHV
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Post-Simulcast Report: July 1-15

It's now the latter half of July, which means time for my first post-simulcast report of the season. I decided to do things a little bit differently this time around as now, I will use the symbols ^ for rewatching and * for simulcasts. I will only list simulcasts under the Completed section as I will put simulcasts in this report, but only under the completed section, and no evaluation will be given to them until the end of the season in the simulcast report. And as always, OVAs connected to a TV series are only graded and not evaluated. So with that, here is everything I watched during the first half of July in regards to post simulcast stuff as well as completed simulcasts:

Completed

*ReLIFE: A-

Sound! Euphonium OVA: B+

Fuse: Memoirs of the Hunter Girl (movie): B
      This movie is pretty solid as it does a nice job in telling a story about what hunting is all about, and that not all hunters are equal when it comes to reasons they hunt, as well as not all prey are equal. It goes to show that despite having the same goals in life, the approaches and philosophies are way different. It does a good job in developing the lead girl's character even if the story had problems with the way it flowed.

The Seven Deadly Sins (1-24): A-
      The show didn't exactly get off to the best of starts there as it did a rather poor job in gaining my attention. But once the other Sins came in to set up the stage for the big battle, that's when it really got good. The show improved by quite a lot as progress was made, and that led to a great show to watch. What this show does particularly well is to blur the lines between obligation and morals as the Holy Knights are caught in this internal battle, and the way it was expressed is nicely done. Just about the only major flaws this show has are the slow beginning and the character designs that I just didn't find all that appealing.

Naruto Shippuden the Movie 1: B-
      Seeing that this movie apparently takes place after the Kazekage Rescue Mission arc that went ahead and watched the first movie on my temporary Netflix subscription, and it's the standard Naruto movie that I have come to expect out of it. The show is entertaining for the fights and stuff, but in the end it's just another Naruto movie with all the good and not-so-good things about them.

Ongoing

[AJN] Ajin (1-3)
      [FNF-B] Brotherhood: Final Fantasy XV (3)
      *[KMR] Kuromukuro (1-13)
      [MGI-S] Magi: Adventure of Sinbad (1-3)

Dropped
      Nothing

Comment

Buckeye's Summer 2016 Anime Viewership Plan: First Impressions

With the exception of Battery, which was the last show to start, I have watched at least two episodes of every show this season. So I'll go ahead and do my first impressions of the season. Like always, I group the shows into three general categories to determine its status on my watch list. Probable means I have committed myself to watching this show, and it would have to take an epic meltdown in the next episode or two for me to drop the show, Questionable means I am still deciding on that show and how it fares from now to the end of the trial period will be what convinces me to watch it or not, and Doubtful means I have either dropped the show or plan to do so unless it makes a miraculous turnaround. However, things are quite unusual this season with an entire series released on premiere day and that there are a couple of continuing shows that I'm thinking about putting aside for this season. Seeing that this season and I will put those shows in its special category rather than under the three usual lists as unlike in previous seasons.

Probable
        [REZ] Re:Zero - Continuing from spring, and it continues to be the one of the best shows of the year. It got really dark these past few episodes, and it's great stuff.
        [SOM-2] Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma: The Second Plate - Sequel to one of the best shows from last year, and this season continues to do everything that made this show so awesome.
        [HLA-2] The Heroic Legend of Arslan: Dust Storm Dance - This is a sequel, and it does a nice job in picking up where the first season left off. But furthermore, it adds a dimension of complexity where things aren't as they seemed like in the first season, and I'm liking the twists and turns from that.
        [FSN-I4] Fate/kaleid Liner Prisma Illya 3rei!! - This sequel gets straight to the story without those crazy stuff that the previous seasons had an awful lot of. The story that has been set up so far has really been something.
        [TLS-ZX] Tales of Zestiria the X - This show does an excellent job in setting its own identity seeing that anime adaptations of VGs tend to stink. Not this one as it does an excellent job in laying the foundation for big things to come. Plus, there's Ufotable going all out and delivering beautiful results from their animation efforts.
        [ORN] Orange - The story is well-written to draw a lot of emotional response from me about how different things turn out to be when living life without regrets seeing that the future version of these characters are so full of them.
        [AIZ] Sweetness and Lightning - This show is nicely established where it's all about appreciating family and friends, and the things that they do for a kid after going through some tough times. This show is doing a nice job in building up the main characters through cooking.
        [AMC] Amanchu! - It's everything I like about Aria brought over to this show by the same mangaka and director. The show has that same fun and laid-back atmosphere that Aria has all while the characters are an interesting bunch.
        [91D] 91 Days This show has done in excellent job in building a great story, and the execution has just been perfect. Out of all the new shows this season, I think this is the best. While revenge and mafia wars are what's front and center about this, there are also character relations involved where a simple act of revenge happens to be much more complex than on the surface.
        [PLN] Planetarian - This show does a nice job in bringing contrasting outlooks on life into one place all going to show that even in a depressing environment the show is set in, there's still a reason to live and dream. The robot girl really makes the show go.
        [SBR-S] Show by Rock! Short!! (short) - These are some amusing shorts with familiar characters featured. It's as good as I can expect out of a short, which isn't much, but good enough to meet the criteria for a short.
        [BNY] Bananya (short) - This is a cute way to spend a few minutes with cats and funny narration.

Questionable
        [SVP] Servamp - This show has been solid with quirky characters and the whole setup of boys taking on vampires as servants. The show has a great concept where instead of humans serving vampires it's the other way around, but so far the story hasn't been able to flow.
        [ALD] Alderamin on the Sky - This show is nicely animated by Madhouse and the story is so full of intrigue. But the show got off to a pretty slow start. However, once the setup is out of the way, it looks like things will really take off now that the main cast is in the military, and the show now comes to a critical juncture.
        [BRM-H] Handa-kun - This show is quite different from Barakamon as while the comedy is great, the approach to this show is much different in that it's all about crazy comedy rather than actually telling the story about Handa in his youth.
        [RWR] Rewrite - I had high hopes for this Key Visual adaptation, and so far it has been underwhelming. The characters are great while the concept is technically sound. But so far the pacing has just been off the mark. Hopefully that changes soon now that the setup is just about complete.
        [NWG] New Game! - This show is cute and fun to watch. These girls are an entertaining bunch to watch in their game making exploits.
        [KNB] This Art Club Has a Problem! - This show has some pretty nice humor, but things are pretty repetitive. That said, the characters and the jokes make this worth watching.
        [PSI] The Disastrous Life of Saiki K. - This show is pretty hilarious. Given the format, the show has plenty of issues, but this show has some pretty nice entertainment value. It manages to vary the jokes to keep things from getting stale.
        [MPH] Mob Psycho 100 - The humor is pretty amazing in this show, while a solid story is building. But the biggest issues I have with it is the animation quality as it looks pretty unsightly (although I do give Bones credit for going through with it to maintain ONE's style and atmosphere).
        [CBY] Cheer Boys!! - For a show I didn't think I wouldn't care for much, it has done a pretty nice job in building the men's cheerleading team. While it follows the same general formula as a sports show, it lays a solid foundation and manages to keep me engaged, something that a good number of fujoshi bait shows fail to do.
        [QCD] Qualidea Code - On a technical side, this show is great with the animation, the action, and the soundtrack. Storywise, this show has been lacking from the early going seeing that it has been cliche-ridden.
        [TBT] Taboo Tattoo - This show has done a solid job in setting up the story, while making it interesting with the characters that will be involved in this show. The action has been great, but as for the story, that remains to be seen.
        [BTY] Battery - It's your standard sports show, with the only difference being that the show is all about building a friendship between the pitcher and catcher. So far, the show has laid the foundation nicely, but it hasn't been able to differentiate itself.
        [R3S] Regalia: The Three Sacred Stars - The show has a solid foundation and interesting characters. But so far, it hasn't really done anything special to stand out. It has been mostly dull stuff, but the parts that aren't dull are pretty good.
        [HKM] First Love Monster - The show has some good jokes, but also some irritating ones as well. The MC is an interesting girl, while the concept of boys looking older than they really are is interesting. However, this show is dropping the ball when it comes to the story opting to do a lot of dumb things in its stead.
        [FKS] The High School Life of a Fudanshi (short) - The concept of boys getting involved with the fujoshi culture and making friends out of BL fans is a pretty interesting concept. That said, it's just about as much as I can expect out of something four minutes long each week.
        [OZM] Ozmafia!! (short) - Four minutes of pretty much stuff without much substance is what this short is all about. I can put up with this for its run length, but beyond that there just isn't anything going for it.

Doubtful
        [FKM] The Morose Mononokean - The show has been decently entertaining, but overall there's just nothing that stands out about this show. The characters so far are pretty bland, and the animation is pretty plain.
        [DAY] Days - This show just bored me and seeing that I generally don't have much interest in sports shows, its standard is higher than for a normal show, and it falls well short of that.
        [TTG] Time Travel Girl - For a kids show, this isn't bad. But at the same time, it's stuff that's all about education and not really something that interests me.
        [PDX] Puzzles and Dragons X - It's your standard kids show, and it's about what I expect out of them. It has all the generic tropes associated with such a show to market a game and the interest for me was just not there for this show.
        [BPJ] B-Project - This show just fails to appeal to me. While it's by the same person who did UtaPri, this show just doesn't have the same magic as it doesn't build characters from the ground-up to make the MC special like UtaPri does leading to a dull story overall.
        [TUT] Tsukiuta - See B-Project, except that there's not much of a female presence to keep me engaged.
        [AGV] Ange Vierge - The first episode certainly is one of the worst this season with the girls spending too much time in the bath and boring me with a lot of talk and nothing really to advance the story. It's just another one of those shows made to market a game, and so far it is failing to be of any substance.
        [HSH] Hitori no Shita - Just a boring show overall and I don't like the art style on top of that.
        [SRX] Scar-red Rider XechS - It's basically a Power Rangers imitation with otoge elements thrown in. The show is just dull and lifeless, and certainly not worthwhile.
        [HHA] Hybrid x Heart Magias Academy Ataraxia - When the story concept involves getting all erotic to save the world, you know that the show is going to be a train wreck. That's what happens here as it got so ecchi that TVQ pulled it off the air, and for everybody else lots of censorship.
        [MNG] Naria Girls - Is this even anime? Whatever it is, the animation is a big eye sore and it is possibly the laziest show ever created.

Other
        [RLF] ReLIFE - I have completed this show as the complete series was released at the start of the season, and it's a great show where character growth is on full display, and the impact of having adults reliving their high school life with the use of an age regression drug. Highly recommended show.
        [MSG-U96] Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn RE:0096 - I plan on holding this show off for a marathon seeing how comprehensive the story is and had it not been for the long recap previews, I would be totally lost.
        [TSX] Twin Star Exorcist - Seeing that it's four cours long that I decided to reevaluate its prospects every season and so far, the show has been good when it follows the manga and not so much when it does not.
        [KMR] Kuromukuro - The show started out on the wrong foot, but the show has been starting to get better now that answers are slowly coming about the MC and how he got hold of a mecha that is way ahead of his time. But for now, this show goes on hold because it's a Netflix exclusive, and they don't release shows until after the season.

So at the moment, I have nine standard-length shows locked in not including Twin Star Exorcists and Gundam Unicorn (which fall in the other category), while Kuromukuro goes on hold waiting until the episodes come out on Netflix. With Planetarian being only five episodes long that I will count it among the shorts seeing that with USAT pulled, I have plenty of room for that short, as well as all other shorts should I choose to stick with them. That leaves me with roughly nine more slots to be filled among the 14 standard-length shows in the middle list.
        Last edited by Buckeye; 08-23-2016, 01:14 PM.

Comment

Summer 2016 First Impressions

Well at least this one isn't a full month late, but still a few weeks. I tried to keep the grades to what they would've been at the time I should've posted this, with some of the ones that started later being basically the current state.

I've watched every episode of everything I haven't dropped and the first episode of everything I have unless otherwise noted. For those who read the regular discussion threads as well as the posts in these threads, note that I may be reusing some of my posts from those that I feel express my thoughts on a series well enough that there's no reason for me to make a point of saying something completely different.

New For Summer 2016:

01. Shokugeki no Souma: Ni no Sara (A-) There was little doubt that this would be the best of the season, the only sequel to a really great anime that retains all of the same companies and people involved. It's about what one would expect of a continuation of this series, although admittedly some of the faster pacing to try to get through more content with only one cour does hurt it a bit, dropping it below its predecessor for the time being. Still, it's easily the best new offering and one of the best anime to watch each week, as expected.
          02. ReLIFE (B+) The treat of the season, as soon as July began we got the entire series available on Crunchyroll, and although I had no expectations going in, I was pleasantly surprised enough to stay up later than I should've the day I got home from Anime Expo to watch it all. It's like if NHK was less harshly cynical and had a little bit of fantasy (or I guess science fiction) to offer a more optimistic possibility. That's not to say it's idealistic escapism by any means; it supplies the unpleasant realism regularly, and that often hits hard. The release format is something I'd like to see happen more often in the future, and this could certainly use a second season, so perhaps that could be the occasion? Here's hoping.
          03. D.Gray-man Hallow (B+) A decade after the first season, this sequel surprisingly picks up right where it left off, despite recasting all of the characters and changing the visual style a bit. I'd say it's about on the same level as the original, and with only 13 episodes to its predecessor's 103, it will be a much briefer watch. Because of how many years they've had to build up manga material and the single cour for this series, it's obviously not killing any time, which is one of the biggest fears for any long-running shounen action manga adaptation.
          04. Amaama to Inazuma (B) A new series about an adorable little girl and her father. When those girls act like real people of their age and not gross moe cliches, like in Yotsubato!, Usagi Drop, and Barakamon, it can yield great results, and thankfully, that's what we get here. As the two of those that are anime knew, those kids have to be voiced by actual age-appropriate actors for it to work at all, and this one doesn't fail in that regard either. The actual plot is mostly about the father learning to cook good meals for her, and while it's not nearly as exciting as a certain flashy cooking battle show that returned this season, it's an enjoyable experience in its own right, and is much easier for me to relate to. Do I think it will be on the level of any of the series I mentioned? No, but it still deserves to be pointed to as another example of how to portray that kind of character well.
          05. Arslan Senki (TV): Fuujin Ranbu (B) While this is every bit a standard second season, there are a few interesting notes surrounding it. One is that the series has already passed its source material. This is possible because it's adapted from a manga that is in turn adapted from a much older (but also ongoing) novel series. This of course means that it's just adapting the original novel series now, but when there are new characters that need designs, it has to stick with the style of Fullmetal Alchemist creator Hiromu Arakawa, even though she may have not drawn these characters in her manga yet, so I'm not sure how that process works. The other thing is that, despite returning less than a year after the first 25-episode episode season concluded, this season is only 8 episodes, which makes me wonder why they jumped back on it so quickly. And I suppose as a last note, the official subtitles also change the spelling of several major characters' names since the first season, but that doesn't really affect the series itself. As for the quality, it's probably at its best yet, and while that isn't saying a great deal (especially considering what one might hope from such a pedigree), it has reached a point of being very solid and worth watching.
          06. Orange (B) The adaptation of one of my favorite manga, the Orange anime doesn't have the strongest forces behind it, but it is directed by one of the directors of Steins;Gate, which is not only promising but also appropriate given some of the thematic overlap between the two. The scenes that directly adapt the manga are executed well, remind me of why I love the manga so much, and make me glad that those who haven't read it get to experience the story, but there are many more clearly added for no purpose but to pad time, usually in the form of wordless montages that contribute nothing. At least there are some interesting direction choices in them, although that doesn't always feel congruent with the core content. The aesthetic makes a good transition to anime, but the character art occasionally goes off-model.
          07. Tales of Zestiria the X (B) This is actually my first exposure to the Tales franchise, which is kind of mind-boggling. Because of that, I'm not nearly as invested as the target audience, but I can appreciate the production values that let ufotable bring their TYPE-MOON game to the series, the great FLOW opening that I got to hear them perform the full version of, and the surprisingly funny previews in that distinctly JRPG character dialogue format. Between that and the origin of the story being so obvious just from seeing it progress, it does make me want to play the game, but considering I won't even have time to play the JRPG I've been waiting a decade for (Final Fantasy XV), there's no chance that's going to happen.
          08. Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 3rei!! (B) I'm back for more. To be fair, 3rei!! is where everything is supposed to get far better, and I want to say I can see some early indications of that. It's also still running in the manga since before this property ever made it to animation, and with the rate this series has been adapting the manga, I could see it going for at least four cours, and I have no idea if there are any plans to end it or move onto another part. It's always interesting to see how this show will play with the Fate lore, even if there are inevitably moments that make me wonder what I'm doing with my life.
          09. Mob Psycho 100 (B-) From One Punch Man creator ONE, this is what happens when he doesn't have a brilliant illustrator to transform his crude sketches into masterpieces in each panel. Bones is taking an interesting approach, not cleaning it up whatsoever (which has to actually be harder) but doing some very creative visual work with how it's presented, and when it wants to be, the actual animation quality is plenty impressive. More importantly, ONE is successful because of his comedic talent, and that still shines enough to make up for however off-putting the artwork can certainly be.
          10. Love Live! Sunshine!! (B-) I was never the biggest fan of Love Live!, but as it went on I did enjoy it a good deal. With its insane success, a spinoff was a given. The only issue is that, with a fresh start but a need to stick to the same very specific format, it does feel like they're mostly just rehashing what worked in the original. To make each of the nine original girls as likable as possible, they pretty much used up every moe point they could think of, so with a new batch of nine, they don't have a lot of new traits to go around. That doesn't mean it's not enjoyable anyway, though, and thankfully they at least used some of that ocean of money they made to improve the dance animation drastically (the second season was already a big step up, but they're continuing to polish it).
          11. 91 Days (B-) The first original by Taku Kishimoto, my favorite anime writer not named Hayao Miyazaki and the writer of the anime versions of Boku Dake ga Inai Machi, Usagi Drop, and Haikyuu!! (both seasons). This inspires high hopes from me, and while it's unlikely to join the ranks of those listed, it does display his skill for writing character dialogue that sounds far realer than the standard for anime, which is as much as I can ask for. I think of the series as Baccano! minus Durarara!!, as it basically has everything in common with Baccano! that Baccano! doesn't have in common with Durarara!!, and it's appropriately animated by Shuka, the studio formed from the staff of the Baccano! and Durarara!! anime. As was the case with the Durarara!! sequels, the studio still doesn't seem to have the resources it needs to carry high-profile series on its own, but it is getting better, and there's much more character study than flashy action scenes anyway.

Dropped:

12. Servamp (C+) In many ways, it seems like an acceptable if generic supernatural series, but much of the first episode is too protracted to care about anything that goes on too much, and a lot of the appeal comes from the bishounen that aren't going to sell it for me.
          13. Taboo Tattoo (C+) The manga started in 2009, but it feels so much more like something that can't possibly be any newer than 1995-2002. I had almost forgotten how many shows just like this one used to come out, because it's a formula that I feel like I never see anymore. The visuals are pretty strong all around -- the artwork, the cinematography, and the action choreography -- but the storytelling is a bit flat in the way that was common for most of those shows.
          14. Kono Bijutsubu ni wa Mondai ga Aru! (C+) There were actually enough moments of good comedy and real emotion in the first episode that I checked back for the second, but I ended up finding it to offer more of the same without much variety. The motivations of the male lead for being an artist are amusing at first, but some of the implications as it goes on does start to enter some uncomfortable territory.
          15. Planetarian: Chiisana Hoshi no Yume (C+) With its short length and no word of an adaptation since its release in 2004, this was not one of the Key visual novels I expected to ever see an anime of, but it ended up getting a five-episode ONA this season, alongside the adaptation of the last main Key visual novel to not have an anime. This is surprisingly the better of the two, but not by much. The premise is not at all what you'd expect from Key, although once it gets to the interactions between the male and female lead, it feels a lot more familiar. Even then, though, the focus it takes given its backdrop feels very off, and I couldn't get into it at all.
          16. Amanchu! (C+) It couldn't be any more obvious that this was by the creator of Aria if it had the same characters. She throws in everything that is recognizably Aria, to the point that it's honestly a little annoying. I never really loved Aria until The Origination anyway, but it had a specific mastery of iyashikei from the very beginning that just doesn't flow in the same way for this. I can't connect with the characters or get lost in the world like I could at the beginning of Aria.
          17. New Game! (C+) Another world with only cute young girls who look younger. The fanservice involving some of these characters is the first issue I had, but while the workplace antics can be fun, I felt myself too bored too quickly, with the appeal of the characters and their quirks not working on me like they need to.
          18. Rewrite (C+) The final Key show I've been waiting on for five years, and it's the biggest disappointment yet. It even starts with a double-length premiere, which seems like a good idea since the anime series adapted from standard Key visual novels do take some time to acquire any substance, but it turns out that longer running time just made it more painful. I know it's supposed to be one of the best visual novels, but Little Busters! was supposed to be even better, and while it was certainly always much better than this, it still never became even particularly good. This is handled by a studio I have no confidence in, and the first episode feels like a bad ripoff of the Key formula (granted, it's the only one not written by Maeda at all, but again, the visual novel is supposed to still be one of their best), with some of its later events turning into a mess of abrupt fantasy action filled with ugly CG creatures. Meanwhile, KyoAni continues to adapt lousy source material (other than their upcoming film). Oh, what could be...
          19. Handa-kun (C+) This is purportedly the prequel to Barakamon, but if you're hoping for any shred of what made Barakamon good, or what made Handa a compelling character in it, that idea will leave you very disappointed. While it obviously features the same main character, the similarities end there, as it doesn't look into his passion for his art at all, instead attempting to satirize high school anime tropes without any greater wit than the series that employ them regularly. And Handa is arbitrarily at the center of it, even though he could just as easily be replaced by any other character.
          20. Fukigen na Mononokean (C+) When a series is largely about the unique eccentricities of its characters, there's not much hope for it to be too successful when those characters don't come across as particularly fun or entertaining. That was most of my reaction to the first episode, and that's enough to make me sure it's not going to grab me.
          21. Momokuri (C+) The series seems to be almost entirely about its female lead being a creepy stalker, which is presented as being ultra cute. That rubs me the wrong way, and there's really not much else to it. There are some moments of decent humor and even some cuteness that doesn't fall into that category, but the main point is still an issue.
          22. Bananya (C+) It's a cat in a banana. Instant classic.
          23. Saiki Kusuo no Ψ-nan (TV) (C+) This series has a very unusual format, being comprised of five short episodes throughout each week that are then compiled into full-length episodes for the weekend. This means it falls victim to a lot of the same problems as standard short-length shows, and this is one that seems to pride itself on rushing through everything as quickly as possible. A lot of the comedy does work out pretty well, but the execution makes it obnoxious to watch in either form, and it's pretty ugly.
          24. Cheer Danshi!! (C+) An anime about cheerleading is already something I wouldn't expect to get much out of, but having the cheerleaders all be male is very different. It seems to be trying to get into Free! territory, but it's not pretty, and it starts off slow, with none of the characters trying to start their "sport" yet. And man, cheerleading is weird.
          25. Days (TV) (C) A more conventional sports series, but not the kind that does the genre proud. The protagonist has none of the likable qualities essential to making that kind of story work, and everything about it is far more boring than it should be. Good animation is another element that good sports series tend to have, and another one missing from this one.
          26. Nejimaki Seirei Senki: Tenkyou no Alderamin (C) Following an extremely rare event of having absolutely nothing coming out of Madhouse, I really wanted to love their one work of the season, but as gorgeous as the first episode was, the plot and its characters were all a bit too generic and bland. I feel like it does have the potential to be well worth watching, and it's probably to that point already, but I don't have the time to watch a few more episodes and check.
          27. Battery (C) Another sports anime, this one even duller in all respects. The main character is uninterested in everything and is thoroughly uninteresting himself as a result. The setting will surely change, but there was no chance for anything to happen so far, so that's just as interesting as that protagonist. It does look pretty good visually, but that doesn't mean anything if the content isn't strong enough.
          28. Fudanshi Koukou Seikatsu (C-) A three-minute show with some homophobic jokes that guarantee its dropped status from the first few seconds. It seems like the protagonist could actually be a good example of being proud to like BL even as a straight male, but obviously there's not enough time to give that any real focus.
          29. Tsukiuta. The Animation (C-) A male idol show where the draw is the idea of hanging out with the boys instead of their actual performances. As you can imagine, I don't find a great deal of value in that.
          30. B-Project: Kodou*Ambitious (C-) Another male idol show! Takanori Nishikawa is a producer for this, and that's not terribly surprising. There are tons of dudes it throws at you to choose from, but again, if you're not in it to put yourself in place of the female protagonist lacking any distinguishing qualities, there's not much to get out of it.
          31. Qualidea Code (C-) With music by Taku Iwasaki, it has one thing going for it (and it is a depressingly good soundtrack), but otherwise it's an annoyingly arrogant main character surrounded by other poorly-written, wacky characters and a plot that lacks originality and doesn't feel like the stakes are in the right place.
          32. Masou Gakuen HxH (C-) By far the closest thing to porn you'll get this season. If you would like to masturbate, this is where you'll be looking. Shows that go this over-the-top do have some inherent entertainment value, but if that's not what you're looking for, it's definitely not the show to watch.
          33. Time Travel Shoujo: Mari Waka to 8-nin no Kagakusha-tachi (C-) An innocuous kids' show with some light educational value and very ugly production quality.
          34. Puzzle & Dragons Cross (D+) Exactly what you'd expect of a full-length anime series for kids adapted from a mobile puzzle game for kids.
          35. Regalia: The Three Sacred Stars (D+) Cute girls, mostly lolis, fighting in mecha with their relationships with each other characterized in part by yuri elements.
          36. Hitori no Shita: The Outcast (D+) Based on a Chinese web comic, this is an exceptionally low-quality production depicting a fairly standard action plot with zombies and some related horror themes.
          37. Berserk (2016) (D) The Berserk manga is my second favorite of all time, and an absolute A+. So how could a direct adaptation of it, the first to cover the material past the initial flashback arc that had been animated back in 1997 and then retreaded in the much weaker but still plenty watchable recent movie series, possibly end up this bad? It seems like a very diligent effort to fuck up Berserk as badly as possible, honestly. Coming from a studio that has done almost nothing, and certainly nothing decent, together with a studio that has literally done nothing at all, it looks like an independent developer's first attempt at trying to churn out a cheap cel-shaded video game at the beginning of the PS2 era, at best. It is utterly hideous at every moment, so much so that it's unfathomable to imagine how this could seem like the correct choice for a visual style at any point, especially considering it's adapting some of the most intricately detailed artwork in all of manga. It will occasionally switch to a drawn shot with no discernible pattern, these providing some comfort only in comparison, before getting right back to the blobs of polygons that somehow look rotoscoped. Scenes transition abruptly into one another and the direction is all over the place, failing to tell this amazing story with any semblance of coherence. It's such a disgusting insult to a property that deserves the best treatment it could possibly get, and instead received the exact opposite for some reason I can't even begin to guess at.
          38. Hatsukoi Monster (D) At first glance, this actually looks like it might be okay, if not remotely special. But the hilarious twist is that the hot dude that the main girl falls in love with is in fact an elementary school kid. That's stupid enough, but then it gets very creepy as she accepts that fact and they start dating anyway. From there it just devolves into painfully unfunny sex jokes that are accurate to what elementary school boys would be joking about.
          39. Ange Vierge (D) The pre-OP scene features some battle in a post-apocalyptic setting to predicate basically the entire rest of the episode being nothing but the whole female cast being naked and spouting boring exposition about whatever the plot is about with constant censorship that might as well have "BUY THE BLU-RAYS" printed all over it.
          40. Ozmafia!! (D-) Perhaps there is some value to people who have played the otome game, but for anyone else, these five-minute shorts are pure nonsense with the cute boys turned into little chibi editions and maybe some kind of plot? Sure doesn't seem like it to me.
          41. Scared Rider Xechs (D-) There's no way the otome game this is based on isn't at least close to as bad, but the adaptation is clearly it's own special level of terrible. Ugly designs that the artwork still can't stick to, even worse animation, some mess of a plot that tries to throw together a harem of unbearably dull, pointlessly angst-ridden bishounen without the protagonist around, awful music, and sentai elements, none of it making any sense at all. The best part is that the dumb Engrish title attempts to combine "scar" and "red" to read like an ultra-edgy rider, but the lack of involvement from anyone remotely versed in the English language results in the rider just being scared.
          42. Mahou Shoujo? Naria☆Girls (F) I am 100% serious when I say that this is the worst anime series of all time. The concept is proposed as the characters trying to make an animation of themselves as magical girls. The only "scenes" with any drawing involved are still frames that stay on the screen for a few seconds. The rest is My First MMD, the lazy character models randomly flailing about as their seiyuu ad-lib whatever comes to their mind which, incidentally, is nothing, and attempt to be funny in that way that Japanese teenage girls desperately trying to break out into some entertainment medium will do, occasionally going for some shameless sexual objectification of themselves to pander to the lowest common denominator which, incidentally is as far from funny as possible, and gets disgusting at times. Then it suddenly switches to My First Magical Girl Fanfic, with some still frames thrown in to make sure they don't have to figure out how to actually make MMD models move. It is offensively irredeemable in every aspect.

How fucking big are these seasons going to get? Well that explains why it took me so long to get through everything, at least. This season was huge for a summer season (that's supposed to be an off season), and also had a lot of really big-name titles, more than the previous several seasons put together. That said, there was a lot of disappointment in how many of those played out, but with so many, there were still plenty that formed most of the slate of keepers from the season. That list is roughly the same size as last season, with nothing that looks likely to shoot to the top of everything airing, which means Re:Zero will have to keep that role for another season. With so many adaptations of top-tier source material (Berserk, Orange, Rewrite), I thought at least one would be up there, but no such luck. The one thing it does have over last season is that there are already a few more series above the B- level, and while I did my best to stick with first impressions for this post, we are of course four weeks into the season, so I can see that there are also more series getting better over time, while last season had a much higher that were just getting worse and barely hanging on if at all.

Everything I'm Watching:

Here's everything, including everything listed above. This is here to show the overall ranking (and movement for end-of-season posts) of everything in relation to everything else.

01. Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu (A-)
          02. Shokugeki no Souma: Ni no Sara (A-)
          03. One Piece (A-)
          04. JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken: Diamond wa Kudakenai (A-)
          05. Dragon Ball Super (A-)
          06. Detective Conan (B+)
          07. ReLIFE (B+)
          08. D.Gray-man Hallow (B+)
          09. Amaama to Inazuma (B)
          10. Arslan Senki (TV): Fuujin Ranbu (B)
          11. Orange (B)
          12. Tales of Zestiria the X (B)
          13. Naruto: Shippuuden (B)
          14. Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 3rei!! (B)
          15. Mob Psycho 100 (B-)
          16. Love Live! Sunshine!! (B-)
          17. 91 Days (B-)

Dropped:

18. Servamp (C+)
          19. Taboo Tattoo (C+)
          20. Kono Bijutsubu ni wa Mondai ga Aru! (C+)
          21. Planetarian: Chiisana Hoshi no Yume (C+)
          22. Amanchu! (C+)
          23. New Game! (C+)
          24. Rewrite (C+)
          25. Handa-kun (C+)
          26. Fukigen na Mononokean (C+)
          27. Momokuri (C+)
          28. Bananya (C+)
          29. Saiki Kusuo no Ψ-nan (TV) (C+)
          30. Cheer Danshi!! (C+)
          31. Days (TV) (C)
          32. Nejimaki Seirei Senki: Tenkyou no Alderamin (C)
          33. Battery (C)
          34. Fudanshi Koukou Seikatsu (C-)
          35. Tsukiuta. The Animation (C-)
          36. B-Project: Kodou*Ambitious (C-)
          37. Qualidea Code (C-)
          38. Masou Gakuen HxH (C-)
          39. Time Travel Shoujo: Mari Waka to 8-nin no Kagakusha-tachi (C-)
          40. Puzzle & Dragons Cross (D+)
          41. Regalia: The Three Sacred Stars (D+)
          42. Hitori no Shita: The Outcast (D+)
          43. Berserk (2016) (D)
          44. Hatsukoi Monster (D)
          45. Ange Vierge (D)
          46. Ozmafia!! (D-)
          47. Scared Rider Xechs (D-)
          48. Mahou Shoujo? Naria☆Girls (F)

Weekly Schedule:

Sunday (5): Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu, Dragon Ball Super, Arslan Senki (TV): Fuujin Ranbu, Orange, Tales of Zestiria the X
          Monday (3): D.Gray-man Hallow, Amaama to Inazuma, Mob Psycho 100
          Tuesday (0):
          Wednesday (2): Detective Conan, Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 3rei!!
          Thursday (1): Naruto: Shippuuden
          Friday (2): JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken: Diamond wa Kudakenai, 91 Days
          Saturday (3): Shokugeki no Souma: Ni no Sara, One Piece, Love Live! Sunshine!!

The counts of both my continuing series and new additions are pretty much in line with the previous season, but the schedule is much less even. This should be a good schedule for me, but I actually end up watching everything from Friday to Monday together, which in this case is basically the entire week. So I guess it's a good thing that Tuesday has nothing, because I bet I'll be using most if not all of it to finish catching up each week. It's amazing I made it out of that enormous season with so few series, though!
          My Top Anime | Manga
          My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
          My FP Reviews | Twitter
          FPR Episodes | Apple

Comment

Summer 2016 Simulcast Rankings: July

Here is the first simulcast rankings for the season as it is the end of July. As always with the first month of simulcasts, all shows are evaluated and color-coded: black means it has secured its spot on my watchlist, red means I have dropped the show (though in the case of Regalia, I'm still actually deciding on that show as its broadcast has been suspended and when it resumes with episode 5, it will be in the fall season, so as far as summer shows go its out), and blue means I am still deciding. Also, dropped shows won't take any further part of this, so everything in red and some shows in blue won't be seen in the August and September rankings.

Home Run
            Food Wars! The Second Plate
            Re:Zero
            ReLIFE
            91 Days

Base Hit
            Orange
            Sweetness & Lightning
            Alderamin on the Sky
            The Heroic Legend of Arslan: Dust Storm Dance
            Tales of Zestiria the X
            Planetarian
            Fate/Kaleid Liner Prisma Illya 3rei!!
            Amanchu!
            Mob Psycho 100

Walk
            The Disastrous Life of Saiki K.
            New Game!
            Servamp
            This Art Club Has a Problem!
            Rewrite
            Taboo Tattoo
            Cheer Boys!!
            Handa-kun
            The Morose Mononokean
            Battery
            Twin Star Exorcists
            Bananya
            Qualidea Code
            Days

Flyout
            Show by Rock!! Short!!
            The High School Life of a Fudanshi
            Regalia: The Three Sacred Stars
            Ange Vierge
            First Love Monster
            B-Project
            Puzzles and Dragons X
            Time Travel Girl

Strikeout
            Ozmafia!!
            Hitori no Shita: The Outcast
            Tsukiuta
            Scar-red Riders Xechs
            Hybrid x Heart Magias Academy Ataraxia
            Naria Girls

Overall, it is shaping up to be a season with quantity, but not so much with quality as other than Food Wars and Re:Zero, there are no other shows that are potential masterpieces. ReLife and 91 Days have been great and worthy of its top tier status, but it's much closer to the second tier than it is to two shows, while of the shows in the second tier, only Orange is anywhere close to cracking the top tier.

This season is unusual as ReLife is finished thanks to the complete series being released on the premiere date and Planetarian is nearing its completion, Arslan is only eight episodes long, and I have decided to put Gundam Unicorn on hold for a marathon later, with the same holding true for Kuromukuro as the episodes won't be coming to Netflix until October. Anyway, I have 21 shows locked in with three of them being shorts and Planetarian and ReLife not counting towards the allotted number of standard-length shows, so in actuality I only have 16 shows locked, with two more slots to decide between seven shows, and I'm willing to add up to four more shows altogether seeing how deep this season is. As always, this is not a matter of simply picking the best as there's a subjective factor as well, and seeing that Mob Psycho isn't high subjectively is why it's still on the bubble, while some shows that are lower in the rankings are going to make it over some shows ahead of them.

Comment

Post-Simulcast Report: July 15-31

It's almost time for the third post-simulcast report of the season, but before it slips out of my mind, here is the second one covering the latter part of July. As I have stated before, I am changing things up by only listing simulcast shows that I have finished in this report while saving the review part for the simulcast report part at the end of the season, and using the ^ symbol to indicate that I am rewatching the show rather than using words like I have been doing all this time.

Completed

Naruto Shippuden Movie 2: Bonds (movie): B-
              It's another typical Naruto movie and my thoughts are just about the same as any other Naruto movie in that the show has great action and a solid plot, but execution is problematic in several areas that makes it enjoyable, but far from being as good as the canonical material in the main series.

Magi: Adventure of Sinbad: A-
              This show has been pretty enjoyable and it does an excellent job in portraying and developing Sinbad's character. The dungeon capturing adventures are brilliantly done to set the stage for great growth in Sinbad, while I like that the way Sinbad establishes partnerships with other countries is changed up to keep things fresh and up to date with Sinbad's evolution as a merchant. As for problems I had with this show, the biggest one is that there's plenty of comedy in odd places, and there are many instances where it fails. That said, the prequel does an excellent job in making Sinbad into the guy he is during the main Magi series and I'm hoping that there's a second season to see things through to the end when his kingdom is created.

Ajin (1-13): B+
              The drama in this show has been nicely done with the unpredictability that goes on. Not to mention, there's this whole war going on where it is unclear who is in the right. While the story has been well-written, this show is plagued by a couple of major problems with the CG animation and the unlikability of essentially the whole cast. I especially had issues with Kei's character as he's taking things too far with his actions, especially with one of the characters. In any case, I eagerly await the second season of this show.

^Magi: The Labyrinth of Magic (1-25): A-
              This show has a great story, great characters, and nice animation. In all, it does a nice job in developing the targeted character with the story. The pacing, however, is the one major problem this season has as it is slow and a bit disoriented with the Balbaad arc taking much longer than I wanted to leading to a rushed Sindria arc. In all, it is a great show and it does what it needs to do.

Expelled from Paradise (movie): B
              This movie has some pretty big names in it, and overall it was a nice movie that deals with the issues of being caught between a rock and a hard place, and in the case of the MC, between her duty for Deva and what's morally right. The show has a solid story concept, but one that could have been executed better seeing that too much time was spent on stuff that ended up being of little consequence to the film's overall picture. That said, the action and Gen Urobochi's mind games are nicely done, albeit it isn't as dark as he is known for writing about.

^Magi: The Kingdom of Magic (1-25): A-
              This season got off to a rough start as the worst part of the Magi series is in the first half of this season with the story going all over the place and covering seemingly irrelevant stuff leading to cohesion problems. But once the Magnostadt arc begins in the second half, that's when it hits its stride in a big way doing what it did so well with the first season. Everything really comes together with an epic battle that has many twists and turns, as well as the unity shown by almost everybody in fighting off a big threat.

Ongoing

^[OPM] One Punch Man (1-3)

Dropped

Nothing

Comment

Buckeye's Summer 2016 Anime Viewership Plan: Finalized Slate

After taking the tough task of narrowing down my watchlist to something much more manageable seeing that I only have time for so many shows, I finally pared it down to something that I'm satisfied with. It was quite a tough task as this season had more shows to check out than usual, and more shows that had a pretty solid argument for me to keep on watching.

Watching
                ReLife (completed)
                Planetarian (completed)
                Twin Star Exorcists
                Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma: The Second Plate
                Heroic Legend of Arslan: Dust Storm Dance
                Orange
                Sweetness and Lightning
                Tales of Zestiria the X
                Amanchu!
                91 Days
                New Game!
                Rewrite
                Qualidea Code
                Alderamin on the Sky
                Servamp
                Cheer Boys!!
                Handa-kun
                The Morose Mononokean
                Show by Rock! Short! (short)
                Bananya (short)
                The High School Life of a Fudanshi (short)
                Ozmafia! (short)

On Hold
                Kuromukuro
                Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn Re:0096
                Regalia: The Three Sacred Stars

Dropped
                Taboo Tattoo
                Battery
                Mob Psycho 100
                First Love Monster
                Time Travel Girl
                Days
                Momokuri
                Ange Vierge
                B-Project
                Tsukiuta
                Puzzles and Dragons X
                Sacred Rider Xechs
                Hybrid x Heart Magias Academy Ataraxia
                Naria Girls
                Hitori no Shita

In total, that's 20 standard-length shows and four shorts, plus two more shows that I already have finished for a whopping total of 26 shows. That's quite a list of shows that I dropped and even so, there's still more than I wanted to take on. And even so, I still plan on watching some of these shows once the season is over. So once again, I break down the process of how I selected my watchlist with the shows in bold when they clinched their spot. My usual limit is 18 standard-length shows, but I ended up pulling a lot of strings and added two more shows, and that's after opting not to count ReLife and Planetarian towards the limit as ReLife was marathoned at the beginning of the season, while Planetarian is only five episodes long.

First of all, there are the continuing shows and sequels, but seeing that I was getting jaded by Gundam Unicorn's overly complex storyline that I opted to hold off and marathon it at the end of the season or later, and Kuromukuro is also on hold simply because it isn't available until after the season. Then there is one other show that's on hold as Regalia had its broadcast suspended, so that means it will occupy a spot on the fall slate if I do opt to watch this. So automatically in are Re:Zero and while I was hesitant to continue Twin Star Exorcists, I decided to stick with it for at least this season, as well as the sequels to Food Wars, Arslan, and Prisma Illya.

As for the new stuff, several shows didn't take long to punch their tickets as Orange had arguably the best first episode of all the new stuff, Sweetness and Lightning does everything right given the atmosphere of the show, Zestiria is much more than eye candy, Amanchu does an excellent job feeding off of Aria's momentum, 91 Days has arguably the best story, and New Game turned into a very fun show. Then there's Saiki Kusuo as that show is just hilarious to watch. All of those shows were in after one or two episodes to bring the total up to 12 shows.

From here on, shows ended up taking their entire trial periods (or in some cases, extended where it got six episodes instead of the usual four) before I was convinced to watch them. Rewrite ended up getting in because it's a Key show even though it's hardly representative of the great visual novel it is based off of, so while it wasn't in any significant danger, it still had to earn its spot. Qualidea Code pretty much got in because I always made it a priority to have at least three Saturday shows and it only had to be better than First Love Monster to get in, and I was getting increasing jaded by the sexual jokes of Monster, and despite having a very weak plot, Qualidea Code drew me in with the technical aspects and the characters. Alderamin started off on the wrong foot, but by the time the characters get in the military, the show really takes off and becomes great. Servamp pretty much made it because of the quirky characters and the ever-changing atmosphere of the show. So at this point, 16 shows have earned their spots through the end of the regular trial period.

As for the final pieces, I opted to give several shows extended trial periods and as my rule of thumb, I can only drop up to two shows after the extended trial period. There were four slots remaining (which I ended up increasing from two) to select between Cheer Boys, Konobi, Handa-kun, Morose Mononokean, Taboo Tattoo, Battery, and Mob Psycho. One sports show and at least one Thursday show was going to be added, so having gone with Cheer Boys over Battery as the sports show of choice, that meant Konobi was in. I just was put off by the ugly artwork of Mob Psycho, so I ended up ditching that show. That left two spots to choose between Handa-kun, Mononokean, and Taboo Tattoo, and in the end I went with Handa-kun because it's really funny and I have a strong attachment to that show being a prequel of sorts to Barakamon, and Morose Mononokean as the shot gets much better once more characters get introduced. Taboo Tattoo ended up being the odd show out as it the out-of-place comedy just totally ruins this show. It looked like Mononokean was going to get axed seeing that Sundays were getting pretty crowded, but in the end it saved itself with a very strong episode 4 making that show the first ever that was in the doubtful list to make it to my watchlist.

As for shorts, I was definitely going to watch Show by Rock, while Bananya is just cute. Fudanshi is pretty funny for a few minutes. Ozmafia was the only on in serious danger seeing that there's just no substance to it, but in the end I decided to stick it out. Naria Girls is the only short I checked out that got dropped as it's just something I don't even know I can call an anime.

So there you have it, and here's a day-by-day breakdown, minus the shows already completed. The number on the left is the total number of shows, and the number on the right is the number of shows whose episodes are at least half-length:

Sunday (6/5): AHeroic Legend of Arslan: Dust Storm Dance, Tales of Zestiria the X, Morose Mononokean, Orange, Re:Zero, Saiki Kusuo
                Monday (5/2): Bananya, New Game!, Show by Rock! Short!, Sweetness and Lightning, Saiki Kusuo
                Tuesday (4/2): Cheer Boys!!, Servamp, The High School Life of a Fudanshi, Saiki Kusuo
                Wednesday (4/2): Twin Star Exorcists, Fate/Illya 3rei!, Ozmafia, Saiki Kusuo
                Thursday (2/1): This Art Club Has a Problem!, Saiki Kusuo
                Friday (4): Amanchu!, Alderamin on the Sky, 91 Days, Handa-kun
                Saturday (3): Food Wars! The Second Plate, Rewrite, Qualidea Code

In all, Fridays, Sundays, and Mondays are pretty packed, while the middle of the week is pretty light seeing that Tuesdays have way too many crappy shows, Wednesdays don't have much to begin with, while Thursdays are filled with shows that are not airing in America on that day or sequels to shows I haven't watched yet.
                Last edited by Buckeye; 08-17-2016, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Re: Post-Simulcast Report: August 1-15

Here is the next post-simulcast report, and same drill as usual.

Completed

Little Witch Academia (movie): B
                  This is a fun movie to watch for all of Akko's antics as Trigger is known for being crazy in their animations, and this does indeed go overboard in an entertaining way. The characters tend to get annoying, which is the biggest strike against this show, but it's in a fun way. The story is decent, and certainly accomplishes a lot in just a half an hour.

Little Witch Academia: The Enchanted Parade (movie): B+
                  It's more of the same as the first movie, but with a bigger cast and twice the runtime. This movie improves on the first in that the MC has a great sense of accomplishment after everything that has happened, all while there are some nasty things that went on to lead for a better overall product.

House of Five Leaves (1-12): B-
                  This show does a solid job in developing the main two characters with a solid overall plot. I like the chemistry that was built up between the main two characters, and the stories are very interesting. That said, the show was just confusing to follow with the show following an episodic structure for the most part, and I was having a hard time trying to make sense of everything that went on. Other than Yaichi, the characters are mostly forgettable and not as well-written as I would have liked for them to be.

^Free! (1-12): B+
                  This show does a great job in character development and utilizing the sport of swimming as an engine to develop the characters. The way the swimming team and friendships were built were done very nicely, all while KyoAni does an excellent job in animating the swimming action. The show got off to a rough start with the characters acting like jerks and the story didn't really build up until the second half as the first half was more about manservice than anything. That said, the way Rin's character was developed in this season is nicely done to set the stage for the second half when Rin's character growth is utilized.

Ongoing

[DBZ-K] Dragon Ball Z Kai (71-76)
                  [HTI] Hakkenden: Eight Dogs of the East (1-10)
                  [NAR-2] Naruto Shippuden (89-91)
                  ^[PNP] Ping Pong (1-2)
                  [PKM-XYZ] Pokemon XYZ (18-22)

Dropped

Nothing[/QUOTE]

Comment

Post-Simulcast Report: August 16-31

With August over, here is the next of my post-simulcast reviews covering the latter half of August. While I watched quite a lot of stuff, only two shows were completed as I opted to begin watching Eyeshield 21 with the start of the football season, while focusing on other long series, while a third show I completed is a simulcast and doesn't get reviewed until the end of the season. As the Olympics were going on that I was watching Free! and Ping Pong as swimming and table tennis are sports in the Olympics and I have been wanting to watch the dubs for those shows.

Completed

^Free! Eternal Summer (1-13): A-
                    The first season set a nice foundation, but it got sidetracked by manservice and other things that can be cringing at times. This season, it is all about character development as the first season was mostly spent on creating the team and developing Rin's character as someone who came home to Japan all broken and busted. This time, Rin is the one helping others out, and character development goes through the roof in this season, and everything about this season makes quite a big splash.

*The Heroic Legend of Arslan: Dust Storm Dance: B

^Ping Pong (3-11): A-
                    Once you get over the eye-grating animation of this sports show, you get a complete package of a show where it's all about using table tennis to show others that no matter how high and mighty they think they are, there will always be someone better, and that's what drives these players to getting better, as well as have more fun with the sport. That message was set out and everything was hitting on all cylinders. Add to it the Chinese dialogue and with several scenes showcased like you are reading a manga, and this show leaves a lasting impression, and a great one at that.

Ongoing

[DBZ-K] Dragon Ball Z Kai (77-81)
                    [E21] Eyeshield 21 (1-18)
                    [FTL] Fairy Tail (234-237)
                    [HTI] Hakkenden: Eight Dogs of the East (11-13)
                    [HXH] Hunter x Hunter 2011 (13-18)
                    [NAR-2] Naruto Shippuden (92-93)
                    [PKM-XYZ] Pokemon XYZ (23-24)

Dropped

Nothing

Comment

Summer 2016 Simulcast Rankings: August

Time for my next post-simulcast report, which comes way late. But nevertheless I finally sat down to determine where shows are rising and falling. With a few shows having ended that they will appear in the final one, just without any movement whatsoever as ReLife, Planetarian, and Arslan are all finished already. Like always, this is a reflection of only the episodes that air in this season, meaning that for Twin Star Exorcists only episodes from this season are considered and while everything before it will be factored into the final grade, it will have no such impact on this rating.

Home Run
                      ReLIFE
                      91 Days

Base Hit
                      Alderamin on the Sky
                      Orange

Sweetness & Lightning
                      New Game! (Promoted)
                      Tales of Zestiria the X

Planetarian
                      The Heroic Legend of Arslan: Dust Storm Dance
                      Amanchu!
                      The Disastrous Life of Saiki K. (Promoted)

Walk
                      The Morose Mononokean
                      Rewrite
                      Cheer Boys!!
                      Qualidea Code
                      Handa-kun
                      Servamp
                      Twin Star Exorcists
                      Bananya

Flyout
                      Show by Rock!! Short!!
                      The High School Life of a Fudanshi

Strikeout
                      Ozmafia!!

Pretty much, my first rankings were more about wanting to see where things go with the show by stacking them in the middle tier. While I was pretty close to adding this show into my watchlist, Taboo Tattoo had been getting worse from what I was hearing, so I made the decision on the day of episode 7 to drop it before watching it, thus keeping it in-line with my trial policy. Seeing how bad that show has gotten that I decided to put it as one of the three shows falling even though I have dropped it.

Rising

New Game! - While this show has always been fun to watch, these episodes take this show to the next level as more characters get their backgrounds out there, and chemistry builds between the employees. Not only is it fun and funny, but the show does a solid job with character development in these episodes.

Alderamin on the Sky - After a lackluster first couple of episodes, this show has really taken off in a big way as it goes to show that it is all about being soldiers in the military, which begins with the third episode, and from there the story just keeps on getting better and more intriguing. These episodes are things that can be related to the Vietnam War in a way. Not to mention, there is some nice backstory to keep things going.

The Morose Mononokean - This show is starting to get better with more characters being introduced and being very interesting in their own ways. The show got off to a rough start with bland and annoying characters and shoddy animation to make the show unappealing. But the introduction of the new characters has improved this show in that they help give the MC much more personality than before. While it still doesn't cover for the bad animation, it makes what had been a dull show more fun.

Falling

Taboo Tattoo - I stuck with this show through the extended trial period and while it doesn't appear in the rankings, I can say that this show's stock has been sliding like a rock. The first few episodes are solidly written and aside from the out-of-place comedy, I was satisfied overall. But this show's writing just starts to take a nosedive, and that led me to dropping this show as the last show out of my watchlist.

Servamp - The show tries to become more and more complex, and for the most part while the concept and intent were there, the execution could have been much better. While the show has been entertaining, the story comes across as being too patchwork with the way the vampires and their masters have been arriving.

Heroic Legend of Arslan: Dust Storm Dance - It's not so much that the episodes are bad as it is the way the show goes out after just eight episodes. It ends with what appears to be the final battle to determine who takes the throne once and for all, and the show just ends before that happens as if the show had been planned for a full cour, but MBS suddenly decided to cut it to only eight episodes so that it could air the Seven Deadly Sins special.

Comment

Post-Simulcast Report: September 1-15

Another half-month is in the books, and time for another post-simulcast review. This time, it's pretty short as I only completed two series and one of them is a rewatch of a simulcast and thus, won't be reviewed until the end of the season.

Completed

^*Planetarian (1-5): B

^Date A Live (1-12): B-
                        The show has a pretty silly concept with the MC approaching life like a dating sim in order to save the world much like with The World God Only Knows. But despite the setup, it's a very entertaining show where the girls all have interesting personalities, and the MC is a pretty decent guy. That said, this show uses cliches typical of harems leading to some stuff that has been done time and time again, and those are things that get really old really fast. In all, the show uses a great concept to inject life into a genre that generally has its fair share of problems to keep things original, and that's what makes this enjoyable more than what I should expect.

Ongoing

[AMB] The Ancient Magus' Bride (1)
                        [DAL-2] Date A Live II (1-2)
                        [DBZ-K] Dragon Ball Z Kai (82-83)
                        [E21] Eyeshield 21 (19-24)
                        [FTL] Fairy Tail (238-246)
                        [HXH] Hunter x Hunter 2011 (19-20)
                        [NAR-2] Naruto Shippuden (94-101)
                        [OPM] One Punch Man (4-8)
                        [PKM-XYZ] Pokemon XYZ (25-28)

Dropped

Nothing

Comment

Summer 2016 Simulcast Rankings: September

Now that the season has ended, time for my season-ending leader board. This is the last time I'll be using baseball terminology as with the next leaderboard, the first of the fall season, football terminology will be used for tier names.

Home Run
                          ReLIFE
                          91 Days

Base Hit
                          Alderamin on the Sky
                          Sweetness and Lightning
                          New Game!
                          Orange
                          Planetarian

Tales of Zestiria the X
                          Heroic Legend of Arslan 2
                          Amanchu!

Walk
                          Fukigen na Mononokean
                          Cheer Boys!!

Handa-kun
                          Servamp
                          Rewrite
                          Bananya
                          Twin Star Exorcists
                          Qualidea Code

Flyout
                          High School Life of a Fudanshi
                          Show by Rock!! Short!!

Strikeout
                          Ozmafia!!

Rising

Amanchu! - While this show has always been fun to watch, the plot felt like it was beating around the bush, and while I get that it is Kozue Amano's style with the way Aria is structured, I felt that the lack of upwards movement was holding this show back more show than it should. But the finale is where this show finally hits its stride and that's why this show is on the upswing to end this season. That made all of the character bonding over seemingly pointless things all the more worthwhile.

The Disastrous Life of Saiki K. - The humor of this show just continues to go through the roof as the latest episodes become even more engaging. The appearance of more supernatural characters here is what makes for a great improvement in the overall scheme of things, and for that it deserves its rise seeing that I put it too low at the start of the season.

This Art Club Has a Problem! - While the show has always been great for laughs, these last few episodes decide to add a nice story to it that brings up one of the characters that has been largely ignored, all while showing just how close the club members are. It still is the same old silliness and stuff, but it's of the type that also has the added dimension of bringing the characters closer together, and all of that is well done.

Falling

Rewrite - The ending was just terrible and poorly written seeing that it is all anime original stuff. The show was slowly building momentum once Kagari was introduced, but then everything just fell apart in the finale. A second season is coming, and this will adapt two of the routes from the visual novel, so let's hope that it doesn't end up a big mess that this adaptation ended up being.

Twin Star Exorcists - The show had been trending downwards as yet more anime-original content is thrown our way in these episodes, and that's the biggest problem this show has. It has been repetitive with essentially the same thing happening in every episode with no knowing the show's plot is moving forward or not.

Qualidea Code - The show's story has improved, but on the flipside, the animation quality has taken a nosedive. Then there's the ending and while it is laid out well, unfortunately it had to be rushed. This show would have benefitted with two cours, or at the very least one more episode as the content that happened in the finale should have been spread over two episodes, but above all the animation budget was just unacceptably low seeing that after doing a great job of the animation quality in the first few episodes, there was an awful lot of corner cutting that produces something that is well below A-1's high standards for animation.

Comment

Post-Simulcast Report: September 16-30

Time for my final post-simulcast report of the season. As may simulcasts finished up during these 15 days that I will list simulcasts with grades, but with no thoughts and reviews for them in this post. And as a reminder, I don't do evaluations for single episode OVAs that is a part of a TV series as is the case with one of the things listed here.

* indicates a simulcast
                            ^ indicates a show being rewatched

Completed

Brotherhood: Final Fantasy XV (5): B-
                            Given that the purpose of this show is to explain the backgrounds of the characters to get everybody ready to play the game, it does just that. The stories are nicely thought out and the stories do their job. Overall, it's just promotional material, but the background stories are well-told for the most part.

*Re:Zero: A+

*New Game!: B+

*Show by Rock!! Short!!: C-

*Sweetness and Lightning: B+

^Date A Live II (3-10, OVA): C+
                            This season is a step down from the first, and in particular the Berserk Arc for the first half of the season involving the Yamai twins that was just full of senseless fanservice and really poorly written storylines. But the season improves with the second half and the Diva Arc when a lot of development happens and the MC builds up his resolve. Still, the ending was pretty awkward and this is not exactly the best way to follow up a decent first season.

*Servamp: C+

*The High School Life of a Fudanshi: C

*Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 3rei!!: B

*Ozmafia!!: D

*This Art Club Has a Problem!: B

*Amanchu!: B-

*Handa-kun: C+

*Food Wars! Shokugeki no Soma: The Second Plate: A+

*Rewrite: C+

*Qualidea Code: C

*The Morose Mononokean: B-

*Orange: B+

*Bananya: C

Haven't You Heard? I'm Sakamoto (OVA): B (whole series), C+ (episode)

*Cheer Boys!: B-

Re: Petit: B-

*Alderamin on the Sky: B+

*91 Days: A-

Ongoing

[AMB] The Ancient Magus' Bride (1)
                            [DBZ-K] Dragon Ball Z Kai (84-85)
                            [E21] Eyeshield 21 (27-40)
                            [FTL] Fairy Tail (247-251)
                            [HXH] Hunter x Hunter (19-21)
                            ^[OPM] One Punch Man (9-10)
                            [NAR-2] Naruto Shippuden (102-112)
                            [PKM-XYZ] Pokemon XYZ (29-30)
                            ^[USO] Your Lie in April (1-12)

Dropped

Nothing

Comment

Summer 2016 Final Thoughts

First Impressions

Somehow I'm always busy right as a season is about to end, which of course means I have most of a brand-new season awaiting me when I return, and this post gets delayed another week or two. This one isn't nearly as bad as the previous one, but it's still about a week and a half late. At least I'm getting this one out while there are still shows from the next season that haven't quite started yet.

For those who read the regular discussion threads as well as the posts in these threads, note that I may be reusing some of my posts from those that I feel express my thoughts on a series well enough that there's no reason for me to make a point of saying something completely different.

New For Summer 2016:

The first number and icon is the number of spots and direction the series moved on the given ranking. The second is the number and direction of possible grades it moved. The former is obviously only relative to the other series around it, and the latter may show a movement of "00" even if my opinion of it did go up or down, if it wasn't enough to change the grade.

08▲ 03▲ 01. Mob Psycho 100 (A-) Unlike One Punch Man, Mob Psycho 100 takes quite a few episodes to get around to any kind of point, but that is the nature of the percentage counter theme that runs throughout the series as such a prevalent theme. Once we see what it can be, it just gets better and better, with the animation becoming more dynamic and exciting with each episode and, most importantly, the comedy taking over even at the most critical plot points, to brilliant effect. That is certainly ONE's most consistently great strength. Of course the animation is never as jaw-dropping as One Punch Man, to say nothing of the rough artwork serving as a sharp contrast to Murata's impeccable craftsmanship, but for the man's lesser work, it's still a fine specimen.
                              01▼ 00► 02. Shokugeki no Souma: Ni no Sara (A-) Only having one cour to work with this time was going to hurt the series no matter what, especially taking place early in a big tournament arc that was clearly going to take up most of it. The pacing is probably a little too rushed for most of it, and what that accomplishes is leaving a mere three episodes for another arc to be crammed in at the end. This makes that arc not only even more rushed but also an underwhelming followup to the huge event that spanned the majority of the season. On the other hand, it does have a conclusive end, unlike the first season, while making it obvious that there is a lot more story to tell, and was firing on all cylinders from the beginning, a common benefit of later seasons. And at the end of the day, it's more Shokugeki no Souma; of course it's going to be great.
                              01▼ 00► 03. ReLIFE (B+)
                              07▲ 02▲ 04. 91 Days (B+) While the character art occasionally dropped to seriously distracting lows in earlier episodes of the series and a sudden recap episode made it clear that the production was not going as intended, the back half is full of nonstop drama that is admittedly very captivating. With nobody being safe from death and the protagonist losing all traces of humanity as his hollow plan for revenge takes him to darker places than he ever could've imagined, the cliffhangers that end each episode of this original story were successful in keeping up the suspense up through its finale that leaves no room for continuation. Kishimoto's best adaptations are in a league far beyond what this ever had a chance of reaching, but it's still a solid work.
                              02▼ 01▼ 05. D.Gray-man Hallow (B) It should go without saying that this sequel doesn't spend any time on filler, but even with that factor, there's only so much a single cour of D.Gray-man can accomplish. Some real progress was made, but without any word of another series in the future, it feels like a bit of a waste. Will we be waiting another decade to see another cour play out?
                              00► 01▼ 06. Orange (B-) Sadly, this anime adaptation is not a worthy alternative to reading the original manga, still one of the best. Uniquely giving the anime a style reminiscent of indie films deserves some credit just for injecting more creativity than a one-to-one transfer would allow, but it's clearly at odds with the original story at times, and largely takes the form of dull padding to ensure that the cour is filled out (the reverse of many other series). And perhaps most egregious is when the art gets wonky, it's gets really wonky, and kills any emotional connection that would've formed. It does tell the full, wonderful story and isn't a disastrous adaptation, but ultimately it offers no real reason not to just stick to the manga.
                              02▼ 01▼ 07. Arslan Senki (TV): Fuujin Ranbu (B-) The question of why this series would have another series less than a year after the first ended but with less than a third of its number of episodes is more prominent now than when it began. This season ends as inconclusively as possible, with all parties heading toward the biggest plot point yet, and there's no telling if we'll get any more. Hopefully we do, because the end of the first season would've been preferable to leave off on over this one.
                              04▼ 01▼ 08. Amaama to Inazuma (B-) While always cute and offering realistic depictions of young children, parenting, and learning the basics of cooking, it does get boring after a while, particularly as that last component is the driving force and doesn't necessarily make for the most compelling entertainment. The dynamic between the leads is cute but never nearly as fun as Yotsuba to! or Barakamon or as touching as Usagi Drop, and the visuals are far from impressive.
                              01▲ 00► 09. Love Live! Sunshine!! (B-) The lengths this series goes to ape its predecessor is frankly baffling at times, even if connections to the original would theoretically make its many super-fans giddy. Even though the formulas are expertly polished to ensure optimal audience affection, the series really hasn't done anything to establish its own identity after a full season. It's very obvious that there will be another season, but a minor surprise that it wasn't announced right as this one ended, leaving the story in a very incomplete state.
                              03▼ 01▼ 10. Tales of Zestiria the X (B-) As unimaginably gorgeous as this is, its position as a glorified commercial becomes especially relevant when it suddenly interrupts its plots to shift to a completely different story to promote the next Tales game in the weeks around its initial Japanese release. This kills a lot of momentum and at its best the series is still a little shallow, but it's always enjoyable enough to watch (in large part due to its technical merits, yes) that I'm all for checking out its upcoming second season.
                              03▼ 01▼ 11. Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 3rei!! (B-) Hey, I never even thought about dropping this season! This is where everything gets real, and it really never lets up even with two more episodes than any prior season. The most frustrating part is actually the very end, as it cuts off right as we're about to hear a potentially very interesting and important backstory and announces not a fifth season but a movie for some reason, the first time I was actually looking forward to another season in Summer 2017 to follow the established pattern. Now I have no idea when I'll see the next piece, and with so much of the 3rei!! manga published, I have no idea why they would upset the paradigm at this point.

This is an interesting season to look at. There are a few shows that got much better and a few that stayed about the same, but the majority of the series actually went down, which is unfortunate to see. On the bright side, this is the first season in a while that didn't inspire any drops after the initial round, but with the hope generally being that most of what survives will improve, finishing the season with more than half of my slate in B- territory doesn't give this season a great image. The previous one wasn't great, but this one was probably a little worse. One thing I noticed is that I can't remember the last time every new show I stuck with in a season ended in that season. So Summer 2016 is effectively pretty easily forgotten.

Everything that Ended:

01. Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu (A-) The only thing on this list that continued from a previous season, it was the one big hope that something airing for these six months would stand out as an all-time great. At the end of the day, I can't say it delivered in full, although it certainly keeps a spot in my very long Top Anime list at this point. A major factor is definitely the fact that, even though it skipped theme songs and any other time sinks to focus on new content as much as possible, it was only ever going to tell part of a much longer, ongoing story. The plot points it wraps up (quite well) are several layers into that story, so there are much bigger things to eventually accomplish that could push prospective future seasons up to much more favorable rankings. Looking back at how the series began, it's amazing that something so good spawned from a premise that can feel like a plague on the current anime landscape, but it also reminds us that we haven't gotten a blip of acknowledgment around that ever since, which seems like something that should be addressed eventually. So I think I'll remember Re:Zero more as the best we had for its time, but maybe no more extreme superlative than that, at least until there's more to it than this first series.
                              02. Mob Psycho 100 (A-)
                              03. Shokugeki no Souma: Ni no Sara (A-)
                              04. ReLIFE (B+)
                              05. 91 Days (B+)
                              06. D.Gray-man Hallow (B)
                              07. Orange (B-)
                              08. Arslan Senki (TV): Fuujin Ranbu (B-)
                              09. Amaama to Inazuma (B-)
                              10. Love Live! Sunshine!! (B-)
                              11. Tales of Zestiria the X (B-)
                              12. Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 3rei!! (B-)

Everything I'm Watching:

Here's everything, including everything listed above. This is here to show the overall ranking (and movement for end-of-season posts) of everything in relation to everything else.

As with the first section, the movement indicators show the movement in the ranking and the change in grade, respectively.

00► 00► 01. Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu (A-)
                              11▲ 02▲ 02. Naruto: Shippuuden (A-)
                              00► 00► 03. One Piece (A-)
                              00► 00► 04. JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken: Diamond wa Kudakenai (A-)
                              10▲ 03▲ 05. Mob Psycho 100 (A-)
                              04▼ 00► 06. Shokugeki no Souma: Ni no Sara (A-)
                              01▼ 00► 07. Detective Conan (B+)
                              03▼ 01▼ 08. Dragon Ball Super (B+)
                              02▼ 00► 09. ReLIFE (B+)
                              07▲ 02▲ 10. 91 Days (B+)
                              03▼ 01▼ 11. D.Gray-man Hallow (B)
                              01▼ 01▼ 12. Orange (B-)
                              03▼ 01▼ 13. Arslan Senki (TV): Fuujin Ranbu (B-)
                              05▼ 01▼ 14. Amaama to Inazuma (B-)
                              01▲ 00► 15. Love Live! Sunshine!! (B-)
                              02▼ 01▼ 16. Tales of Zestiria the X (B-)
                              03▼ 01▼ 17. Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 3rei!! (B-)

Weekly Schedule:

Sunday (5): Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu, Dragon Ball Super, Orange, Arslan Senki (TV): Fuujin Ranbu, Tales of Zestiria the X
                              Monday (3): Mob Psycho 100, D.Gray-man Hallow, Amaama to Inazuma
                              Tuesday (0):
                              Wednesday (2): Detective Conan, Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 3rei!!
                              Thursday (1): Naruto: Shippuuden
                              Friday (2): JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken: Diamond wa Kudakenai, 91 Days
                              Saturday (3): One Piece, Shokugeki no Souma: Ni no Sara, Love Live! Sunshine!!

This marks the end of a period with less top-tier anime airing on TV than any other time in the past five and a half years, I would argue. We now return to sequels of masterpieces that I don't have to worry too much about the quality of, but as previously mentioned, not all the shows for that season have even started yet!
                              My Top Anime | Manga
                              My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                              My FP Reviews | Twitter
                              FPR Episodes | Apple

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...