X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Summer 2016] This Art Club Has a Problem! Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    この美術部には問題がある!

A comedy about a middle school art club whose members aren't exactly doing what an art club is supposed to be doing.

Airs: Thursday, July 7

Studio: Feel

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

Kono Bijutsubu ni wa Mondai ga Aru! focuses on an art club in a certain middle school, and its members: Subaru Uchimaki, who is a genius at drawing faces, but only wants to draw the perfect 2D wife; Colette, a rich troublemaker who never stops making mischief; and the club president, who sleeps through sessions and collects sleeping aids. Mizuki Usami is the only person in the club who wants to do art club-like activities, and constantly struggles to do so.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Asirpa, Golden Kamuy
    Watching: Utawarerumono: The False Faces, Golden Wind
    Simulcasts: HZG, DKD, FRB, KGY, TOA-R, OGF, 8NT, ART, BNA, GLP. KKG, LSN, SKT, SBA, YFM, TOG, WLN, A3A, PCR, SHV
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Houston, we have an art club problem.

Uchimaki is talented when it comes to art, there's no question about that. The problem is that his masterpieces are all 2D waifus, and that's when things run amok with Usami. Not to mention, the club president does nothing but snooze to add to the problems the club has. That was pretty funny seeing Usami throw a tantrum seeing Uchimaki painting his waifus, especially the one where she had to pose while wearing shorts under her skirt only for the panty part of the girl. But in spite of that, Usami would rather have him around than not. That's a good start to this as it begins with comedy, and then the second half is all about appreciating each other even if they are at odds over what they should do as a club.
    Simulcasts: HZG, DKD, FRB, KGY, TOA-R, OGF, 8NT, ART, BNA, GLP. KKG, LSN, SKT, SBA, YFM, TOG, WLN, A3A, PCR, SHV
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

Hah, I caught the girl peeking out from the locker at around 7:39 and from that point I kept looking at the locker to see if she would reappear, but never did see her again. Funny little cameo of a character we'll undoubtedly be introduced to later (I assume she's the "Cole" mentioned this episode).

And dang, Ozawa is so perfect at doing the adorably frustrated thing. And Usami's got a lot to be adorably frustrated about here. Not just with Uchimaki (even though that's the bulk of it this episode), but the president, and likely with more to come. After she was all over the place last year, feels like there's been a dearth of noteworthy roles for Ozawa this year, so was pleased to hear her here.

Comment

I saw the girl peering out the locker too. Going by the promo art, I guess she likes Usami. I really hope this anime doesn't become Usami trying to get through Subaru's thick exterior all the time. Hopefully, the added characters will add more liveliness to the series.
        Avatar: Shimarin from Laid Back Camo.

Comment

This was pretty cute, but I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the cast. I was surprised they didn't show up in the second half of this episode; it was a little too dependent on the one joke. I liked it, though. Seems like my thing.

Comment

Not bad. I found some moments legitimately funny, and it actually manages some real emotion within that. It seems like the kind of thing that could be a lot more vapid with very short vignettes, but this lets it become more. I'll stick around to see where it goes.
            My Top Anime | Manga
            My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
            My FP Reviews | Twitter
            FPR Episodes | Apple

Comment

Originally posted by _PS_ View Post
              This was pretty cute, but I'm looking forward to seeing the rest of the cast. I was surprised they didn't show up in the second half of this episode; it was a little too dependent on the one joke. I liked it, though. Seems like my thing.
              That was exactly it: while it was cute, I was getting tired of the one joke (you can add one-half of a joke if you include the Club President). I definitely want to see what the rest of the cast have to offer.
              Avatar: Craft Lawrence from Spice and Wolf.
              Scratchy for Tama is angry.
              Casually Reviewing: ???

Comment

Not bad. Thought for a minute I was watching a documentary about Japanese herbivores. Definitely need to save this show for future documentaries on the extinction of Japan.

Yep, I saw Locker-chan as well, and also kept expecting her to burst out at some appropriate moment. So I guess the show will mostly be on whether herbivore boy ever gets turned from the Dark side. Hell, just wait till they're of legal age, taz him, cuff, and toss him in a love hotel with her for a weekend, that'll fix that...or if it doesn't put him down at that point.
                My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
                1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
                2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
                3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

Originally posted by General Hentai View Post
                  Not bad. Thought for a minute I was watching a documentary about Japanese herbivores. Definitely need to save this show for future documentaries on the extinction of Japan.

Yep, I saw Locker-chan as well, and also kept expecting her to burst out at some appropriate moment. So I guess the show will mostly be on whether herbivore boy ever gets turned from the Dark side. Hell, just wait till they're of legal age, taz him, cuff, and toss him in a love hotel with her for a weekend, that'll fix that...or if it doesn't put him down at that point.
                  And you still have to wonder what the girls see in these guys. Kind of wonder why Subaru points out Mizuki's panties if he doesn't care for real girls..and see no reason he needs to if he's already replicating them in his drawings.

Also saw Colette peeping through the locker...which was kind of funny as she apparently 'doesn't show up' according to Mizuki. What exactly does she do in there?

Comment

Originally posted by Sensuifu View Post
                    Also saw Colette peeping through the locker...which was kind of funny as she apparently 'doesn't show up' according to Mizuki. What exactly does she do in there?
                    We might not want to know…

Avatar: Craft Lawrence from Spice and Wolf.
                    Scratchy for Tama is angry.
                    Casually Reviewing: ???

Comment

Well,. if this were Seitkai Yukindomo, we'd know, lol.
                      My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
                      1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
                      2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and

Comment

Originally posted by General Hentai View Post
                        Well,. if this were Seitkai Yukindomo, we'd know, lol.
                        Seitokai Yukindomo

I still can't get the edit button to work, sigh.

Comment

This was amusing. The only one serious about actual art is Usami. Uchimaki is good at drawing and stuff but he's interested in creating his perfect waifu despite having, like, 18 already. Usami has a crush on him but can't bring herself to tell him that and can't also bring herself to stop him from leaving after drawing his perfect waifu. Lol Uchimaki told Usami to sit in a cute pose but ended up drawing a completely different girl with only the pantsu being the same as hers and even that wasn't visible from her pose. Apple man was kinda weird lol.

The comedy is so far good here. The visuals are also good since this is coming from Feel. Usami is super kawaii at times which is also a plus. Now to see the rest of the problematic gang of the art club.
                          My ReviewsMy MAL ProfileMy Anime List

Comment

Episode 2

It's 2D or bust.

So in this three-parter, it red paint being spilled over ruining Usami's painting that she was entering into a competition and the president covers up by making it look like a murder scene, and in the end one of Uchimaki's waifus was entered to win 2nd prize. Then a child is lost, and by drawing a picture of her mother, Uchimaki got her back to her mother. Then Uchimaki apparently has a relationship going on with a 3D girl, but that relationship never had a chance seeing that he's only in love with 2D girls, and that scene where Uchimaki had his sights set on a cute elementary school girl is pretty funny when it turns out that he was only looking at the strap. That another funny episode there.

With that, I'm leaning towards keeping this show, but I'll see where things stack up first seeing that I'm having a hard time trying to figure out which borderline shows I want to cut.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

Usami's friends are great. I love Sayaka trolling with a made-up horoscope (of course some of it would end up happening: love how Usami was looking forward to the kiss so much at that point).

Hah, I love the visual of the little drop of paint landing on Usami's face when she was getting angry over finding out about what happened to her painting. I do really love the expressions in this show.

One of Uchimaki's drawings was a Saika cameo! But really, Saika is the best waifu in Oregairu. This director and studio seem to like referencing other titles they worked on. They got to go all out with Outbreak Company, though looking forward to seeing if it continues here to a lesser degree.

I was wondering about what exactly was the turning point for Usami in getting to like Uchimaki as it's not surprising her initial impression was not favorable. I almost expected Uchimaki to draw some popular magical girl character, but that would just make them more suspicious. Actually puts his skills to rather heartwarming use there. His memory is pretty good.

Girl who had a sweet crush on Uchimaki unwittingly ends up thinking of him as a predator. I wonder if we'll see much of those sisters going forward.
                              Last edited by EmperorBrandon; 07-14-2016, 10:52 PM. Reason: I meant "love" not "lose"...

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X