X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Summer 2016] Ozmafia!! Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    オズマフィア

A series of shorts based off an otome game about pretty and quirky boys fighting mafia wars all over the streets.

Airs: Tuesday, July 5

Studio: Creators in Pack

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

Having transferred into Oz Academy, Scarlet finds himself already in trouble. The three boys who save him in his time of need are named Caramia, Kyrie, and Axel.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Nanako Yukishiro, Senryu Girl
    Watching: Stellvia, Baki, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, TOA-I, TSL, SAO, KTF, CQK, KMF, DAL, TSH, PNL, More TBD
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

And so it begins with Scarlet already in the doghouse in a way. His sense of direction is quite bad that he ends up getting attacked by Caesar on his way to beginning his new life at Oz Academy. But he somehow finds his way to the academy where he is introduced to everybody, and Caesar happens to be a security officer. Seeing that it's just four minutes each week that I guess I can put up with this seeing that there's practically no substance to this short, but nevertheless it is what I could have expected for something with the runtime this show has.
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

This show feels more (even compared to the standard short) like something that would be a video extra than a TV series.

Comment

Re: Episode 1

What even was this? Is it attempting to tell a story at all? Does this function only as an extra to those who have played the game? Is it supposed to make anyone remotely interested in the game? I really can't imagine what the idea here was.
        My Top Anime | Manga
        My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
        My FP Reviews | Twitter
        FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 2

Scarlet may have been good enough to get into Oz Academy, but getting through his classes is another thing entirely as he flunked his exams. And Caramia even gave him special treatment with some super basic math questions that he couldn't get. So to help this helpless failure, Kyrie has organized a Remedial Club, which has only one person in it. This show just continues to be stupid, but being only four minutes long makes it bearable, so I'll keep on watching for the time being.

Comment

Episode 3

It might be a good idea to think things through before flat-out saying that a clubroom should be at someone's home, because Caramia is pretty adamant about moving the Remedial Club to Bercy's place. At the very least, Bercy was able to find some solution to this even if it only means providing a desk.

Comment

Episode 4

Even the cafeteria isn't normal at this school as long as Heidi is running the place. That lunchlady sure doesn't mess around when it comes to guys not eating their veggies. Caesar went against all that, and look at what is happening to him. Axel sure doesn't eat well seeing that he's eats that extravagant pancake dish everyday for lunch with a firecracker attached. Nothing is ever right at this school.

So with that, the trial period is over, and seeing that this show is only four minutes long that I think I'll stay with this show to the end, but I haven't decided for sure seeing that it is just four minutes of something with little substance in it.

Comment

Episode 5

This is exactly why you don't accept any items from strangers who come out of the blue. Scarlet just didn't get the message, and thankfully Kyrie was there to blow up that love letter and present in the air before it could blow up Scarlet. As it turns out, that girl is an assassin from Grimm Academy, which has a long-established hostile relationship with Oz Academy. Things have taken quite a turn here now that the enemy has shown itself and a mafia war is brewing.

So with that, I decided that I'm able to put up with this as it's only four minutes long, so I'll keep watching this short to the end.

Comment

Episode 6

And now, the enemy attacks with Scarlet, as useless as he is, deployed onto the battlefield with a rifle. Normally, it wouldn't be happening, but Kyrie's reason is to teach him the ugly side of the world and as such, this is a field trip of sorts. Not quite the right mindset to have in a situation. Thankfully, a teacher from the rival school was there to clean up the mess after the crow attack really made things ugly.

Comment

Episode 7

I guess that with the place being called Oz Academy that they would do something like this with Caramia transforming into the Cowardly Lion, while the other boys take the form of Dorothy's traveling companions. Scarlet isn't exactly aware that he's capable of doing that. But it's all about the donuts here as the teacher from Grimm Academy offered those as a token of apology. Of course coming so casually from the enemy that there is quite the reason for concern there like in that otoge segment in the end.

Comment

Episode 8

Whoa! Scarlet sure is getting played in a big way there as Kyrie has been using him to embezzle club funds to buy all sorts of fancy stuff for the "gardening" club. Scarlet is just there so that the club can get some money, but he wants it to stop as the student council president Pachet appears. Kyrie is not exactly pleased about it, but what he is doing is stealing.

Comment

Episode 9

Scarlet goes on a field trip, and this time it's a real field trip and not something only Kyrie calls a field trip when he was deployed to a war zone. The class is given some free time to explore, but that's not exactly what Scarlet gets as those boys from a butler cafe are quite persistent in getting him to join in their craziness. Luckily for him, So-sama was there to tell those boys that their line of work will be exposed if they keep harassing Scarlet, so all is well in the end. At least until the next time Scarlet runs into another crazy person.

Comment

Episode 10

And Scarlet comes across yet another weirdo at Oz Academy. This time, it's a girl named Ande who speaks in the third person and is going around selling matches. Not to mention, she's quite crafty when it comes to getting others to buy them as she knows about Scarlet's secret that he was ordered not to tell, and is threatening to expose it if he refuses to buy. Once again, Scarlet manages to get out of this mess due to the timely arrival of someone who just won't put up with the crap those others are giving him as this time, it's the student council president who is letting Ande know that it's against school rules to sell stuff on school grounds. Another crisis has been averted, and another weirdo has been neutralized.

Comment

Episode 11

For once, Scarlet isn't getting pushed around like crazy as this time, he's just studying hard like what a good student is supposed to do. Caramia sure does make a much better tutor for Scarlet than Kyrie, and the results show. Caesar acted pretty friendly there for a change. Anyway, that was one of the better episodes as it focuses on Scarlet finally taking the next step in his development after having to put up with a lot of eccentric personalities.

Comment

Episode 12 (Finale)

And so it ends with Kyrie telling his story about how the sunset is the same color as from many years ago. Or so everybody else thought as it was just a made-up story. Caramia totally fell for it and Kyrie uses his squirt gun on him as punishment. That was an exceptionally creative story there using a scarecrow in his place as there are some Wizard of Oz references. But of course, that's just Kyrie being the manipulative guy that he is.

Overall, this show was just lacking in substance, and while that's typical for a short, this one was especially grating. But above all, it's mostly about Scarlet being so hapless and helpless, and that got really irritating for me, and for just about every episode this went on. About the only good things about this show are the last two episodes, the otoge segment at the end of each episode, and the serious characters who are actually doing what they are supposed to do rather than making Scarlet's life miserable. In any case, this was mostly done to advertise the Ozmafia otoge, and it fails as far as everything else goes.

MAL Rating: ****------

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X