X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Summer 2016] 91 Days Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    91 デイズ

A show set in the Prohibition Era in the USA about a man wanting revenge against the mafia after a dispute resulted in his family getting murdered.

Airs: Friday, July 8

Studio: Shuka

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

During the Prohibition era, in the Lawless district the law has no power, the mafia rule the streets, and the illegally made liquor flows freely. At one time Avilio lived in this district, but after a mafia dispute ended in the murder of his family, he went into hiding. Later, Avilio receives a letter from a mysterious person that ignites his passion for revenge and leads him to return to Lawless. There, he infiltrates the Vanetti family and gets close to Nero.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Asirpa, Golden Kamuy
    Watching: Utawarerumono: The False Faces, Golden Wind
    Simulcasts: HZG, DKD, FRB, KGY, TOA-R, OGF, 8NT, ART, BNA, GLP. KKG, LSN, SKT, SBA, YFM, TOG, WLN, A3A, PCR, SHV
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Thirsty for revenge.

That was quite a dark way to set things up here. Seven years ago, Avilio, whose real name is Angelo, saw his family murdered right in front of his eyes and he somehow managed to escape. Now known as Avilio, he's after Nero, who happens to be a lot closer than he though he was. That mafia fight at the tavern that illegally serves booze was really something using the flammability of alcohol to their advantage. But now that Avilio has found the one responsible for killing his family that it will be interesting to see what happens next.
    Simulcasts: HZG, DKD, FRB, KGY, TOA-R, OGF, 8NT, ART, BNA, GLP. KKG, LSN, SKT, SBA, YFM, TOG, WLN, A3A, PCR, SHV
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

So basically... Baccano! - Durarara!! = 91 Days.

Works for me. Kishimoto is by far my favorite writer (other than... you know... Miyazaki), so I'm really hoping he can make his first original something special.
      My Top Anime | Manga
      My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
      My FP Reviews | Twitter
      FPR Episodes | Apple

Comment

Re: Episode 1

So Angelo's family was killed by Vincentte since Angelo's dad had something of the Mafia boss with him. Because of these Mafia wars, Angelo's family was killed. And Angelo wants revenge. He ran away and returned after 7 years with a different name to his friend, Corteo. And he plans on taking out those who killed his family. We have the Vanettis and the Orcos. And then there is alcohol. The Orcos do alcohol business and the Vanettis were playing around and stole some Orco booze. And some Orco mad man came to get his booze back right when Angelo was selling Corteo's stuff. And it turns out that Nero Vanetti was the one fooling around which called out the Orco guy. And this Nero dude is probably the guy who was there when Angelo's family was killed. Which means that this guy is Angelo's enemy and they both just ran away together from that Orco guy.

This has been an interesting set up so far. Angelo needs to find that Vincentte guy or at least someone else who was present there. And he wants to kill that Vincentte guy. And Nero here might be his guide.
        My ReviewsMy MAL ProfileMy Anime List

Comment

Episode 2

Revenge knows company.

So that's one down, two more Vanettis to go as Avilio uses Vanno's lust for revenge against the Orco family for murdering Tronco to get close to him, and then to strike at the right moment when Vanno's guard is down. Quite a dirty trick that was, but this is war after all. Vanno asked Avilio to go after Fango, but he got away, and at Tronco's grave, Vanno killed his killer there, but Avilio was waiting right there as killing Vanno was his objective this whole time. That was some great drama there, and it goes to show that Avilio will do anything and everything in order to avenge his family.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

First of all, damn, that OP! That neko is amwazing! Best OP this season.

So, there are three Mafia families here, Galsssia, Orco, and Vanetti. Galsssia is the most influential of the three and the other two listen to them. The Vincentte killed Angelo's family and also took overafter killing the previous don. The Vanettis don't have good relations with the Orcos since they have this fight over alcohol with the Vanettis stealing all the good Orco booze. So the ones who gave Angelo information about those who killed his family are probably the Orcos because they're the ones who will benefit from Nero and Vincentte being killed. Angelo also ended up pissing off Ronaldo and if the guy feels like it, he can have Angelo killed through the Galsssia gang. And he's pissing off the Orcos too by going after Fango, but at the same time he's getting close to the Vanettis to make for a perfect revenge. This guy sure is messing with everyone lol. I cannot see a happy ending for this fellow. And it would be pretty cool if Angelo ends up pissing off everyone and they all join against him and he ends up dying without getting his revenge properly. Would be like he went out for mindless revenge but ended up getting himself killed. Another situation could be where he pisses off everyone but puts them all against each other or against the Vanettis only and then things turn into an all out war among the Mafia groups. That would be cool too.

Angelo was a bit hasty in killing Vanno. Although there's no denying the situation was perfect. It was just after his attempt at killing Fango and Vanno had Serpente caught and then killed him. The story was also pretty convincing too. But a better idea woo have been to kill Vanno and Serpente in Fango's apartment. Then Nero wouldn't have been able to go there as the apartment was probably in Orco territory. Killing Vanno in front of Tronco's grave wasn't the best idea. Nero is suspecting Angelo and rightly so – Angelo hasn't gained that level of trust yet and Serpente's body isn't at the scene either which makes Angelo even more suspicious. He should get rid of Nero as soon as possible but that's not possible right now since Nero has his guard up and will continue to be wary of Angelo until Angelo does something extravagant like saving Nero's life by putting himself in danger or something along those lines. Corteo's alcohol can't make up for this level of suspicion alone.

Things are getting pretty cool. Angelo's plan of getting close to the Vanettis has seemingly faced a setback here as Nero is suspecting him. His plan is pretty ruthless though and it would be cool if he ends up pulling it off perfectly.

Comment

I'm liking it more. The story of how Avilio infiltrates the family that killed his father so he can take them down. Step one complete, just after winning over his trust. Clearly Nero will be the main antagonist, and it will be interesting to see how their relationship develops.
              My Top Anime | Manga
              My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
              My FP Reviews | Twitter
              FPR Episodes | Apple

Comment

So, "Avilo" has been promised help and information by a source who apparently knows everything and now…his first step towards taking revenge results in himself being placed in the worst situation possible?

The first episode was promising. The second episode continues on that promise. Sure, there is a lot to note on how derivative this show is (there are The Godfather homages and citations running all over the place, down to the show's title logo), but as pastiches and homages go, this has been well done so far.
                Avatar: Craft Lawrence from Spice and Wolf.
                Scratchy for Tama is angry.
                Casually Reviewing: ???

Comment

Not that this would make me a great clairavoyant or anything, but I'd be willing to bet that we find out that Nero and/or Vanna weren't involved in the killings of Angelo's family after all and he is being manipulated by somebody. We know for a fact that Vincette was there because we saw his face in episode 1 and the older version of him we saw in episode 2 had the scar from where Angelo's father was able to cut him. But we never did see the faces of the other two. As Yamada2 points out above, Angelo's plan seems kind of dumb. Surely there would have been a way to kill off Vanno without putting himself in so much suspicion, but maybe there is an element to his master plan that isn't clear to us yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Paranoia Gent View Post
                    Not that this would make me a great clairavoyant or anything, but I'd be willing to bet that we find out that Nero and/or Vanna weren't involved in the killings of Angelo's family after all and he is being manipulated by somebody. We know for a fact that Vincette was there because we saw his face in episode 1 and the older version of him we saw in episode 2 had the scar from where Angelo's father was able to cut him. But we never did see the faces of the other two. As Yamada2 points out above, Angelo's plan seems kind of dumb. Surely there would have been a way to kill off Vanno without putting himself in so much suspicion, but maybe there is an element to his master plan that isn't clear to us yet.
                    We can't be sure about Vanno being involved or not, but Nero was definitely there. The one who chases out Angelo was Nero if I'm not mistaken. Vincette asks Nero for something to wipe off the blood from Tesla's attack on that night. Nero was there, but not sure about Vanno. But in any case, the possibility that Angelo's revenge is being used by someone is there.

Comment

Episode 3

Over his dead body.

Last time, Serpente was killed by Vanno, who was then killed by Avilio. Only Avilio knows the truth about what really happened, and the fact that Serpente's corpse was sold off to Scusa only adds fuel to the fire between the Vanettis and the Orcos, which reaches its boiling point during a hostage exchange situation where the Orcos end up getting Avilio instead of Serpente. And thus, the gauntlet is thrown down between those two families that loathe each other, which is exactly what Avilio was hoping for to get his revenge on that family. Avilio sure did use the situation to his advantage in a big way, and that was nicely constructed.

So with that, this show has clinched its spot seeing that it's one of the best shows this season with drama that is put together really nicely, and certainly it is hitting the mark on its execution. I can't wait to see what happens next now that the Orcos have been provoked in a big way.

Comment

Re: Episode 3

So Nero wants to see ded Serpente for himself in order to believe Angelo's story because Serpente's dead body wasn't at the crime scene. Angelo had Corteo get Cerotto to tell what happened to Serpente's body by saying that everyone is suspecting him because he was there when everything with dango took place. And Cerotto had the body sold to Scusa who's a government dude who plans on selling the body to the Vanettis because an Orco guy was killed by a Vanetti guy and it would be really troublesome if word gets out.

And Nero and Angelo reach the body but Fango gets there too. But Fango doesn't know about Serpente's death so Angelo becomes a fake Serpente to try and get the hostage Fango had. And with Nero there, it became as if he was involved in Serpente's killing and the attempt on Fango. So his own family would be after him for messing with the Orcos and the Orcos themselves would be out for his head. So he goes into hiding. Angelo joins him because Fango might come to blow his head off since he tried to kill him twice. And with the body being in Scusa's custody, a new party has been involved now.

So the mafia wars continue and the Orcos and Vanettis are almost going to try and kill each other now thanks to Angelo's revenge. Way to go, Angelo. You're starting a war now.

Comment

Re: Episode 3

Avilio's work manages to get him on a road trip with Nero himself. Now this should be interesting. The series is clearly about the two of them, so I feel like the real meat of it is going to begin now.
                          My Top Anime | Manga
                          My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                          My FP Reviews | Twitter
                          FPR Episodes | Apple

Comment

Episode 4

Let's go camping.

With everything that has happened, Avilio and Nero are out of town and they end up spending the night camping. While Nero entertains the kids there, Avilio is playing some dirty tricks on Nero. But while they are away from the chaos back in town, a hitman is out to get them in the form of a giant Mexican menace, and he was quite a tough man seeing that he took some gunshot wounds and a stab in the back, and even so he was still standing after all that. That was relatively chill compared to the previous episodes there seeing that Nero kicked that guy in the junk during the pursuit. Those two are developing quite an intiment relationship there, though it remains to be seen where things will lead to seeing that Nero is unaware that he is standing right next to the guy he failed to kill seven years ago.

Comment

Re: Episode 4

Hah, Nero was thinking what I was thinking. Can't let your pancake get too soggy. Ah, and with the amount of money doled out for the food, I'm reminded about inflation.

Avilio manages to already hit pretty deep with the question on Nero's first job. Definitely playing further into the "fated" angle on those two.

The initial confrontation with "Big Mexico" was surprisingly amusing. He gets his chance to be more seriously menacing later, but of course, he's dealt with.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X