X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Summer 2016] Qualidea Code Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    クオリディア・コード

A show about children waking up with superpowers after spending decades in a cold sleep to fight humanity's greatest threat from three different places around Tokyo Bay.

Airs: Saturday, July 9

Studio: A-1 Pictures

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

The story takes place in a world where people continue their war against the "unknown"—the enemy of humanity. Children who have been evacuated to a cold sleep facility during the invasion by the "unknown" several decades ago wake up from their slumber and learn that their bodies developed some supernatural forces. In order to protect the country from the "unknown" emerging from the Tokyo bay gate, the boys and girls wage battles in the defense the cities of Tokyo, Kanagawa, and Chiba.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Asirpa, Golden Kamuy
    Watching: Utawarerumono: The False Faces, Golden Wind
    Simulcasts: HZG, DKD, FRB, KGY, TOA-R, OGF, 8NT, ART, BNA, GLP. KKG, LSN, SKT, SBA, YFM, TOG, WLN, A3A, PCR, SHV
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

While they were sleeping, TEOTWAWKI happened.

So it begins with the world being destroyed, and children going to sleep and waking up many years later having gained special powers during their slumber. In the present, Ichiya and Canaria represent Tokyo, and have been acting all delinquent drawing ire from the other two cities. Battle breaks out, and Canaria's song helps out everybody. But Maihime goes overboard with her trump card destroying the enemy, but also destroying the bridge in the process forcing everybody to flee, with Ichiya getting the blame for it.

That was a pretty solid start there, and certainly the characters made a nice impression off the bat, while the story has plenty of intrigue. Of the shows this season, I think this one is the best on a technical level as the animation is sharp, the action scenes are great, and the soundtrack by Taku Iwasaki is amazing. But going forward, the next episode will be critical to see if it is sound storywise as it did a nice job in setting things up, but it could easily fall apart quickly.
    Simulcasts: HZG, DKD, FRB, KGY, TOA-R, OGF, 8NT, ART, BNA, GLP. KKG, LSN, SKT, SBA, YFM, TOG, WLN, A3A, PCR, SHV
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

So, we have a MC that is so full of himself that he's annoying, and the rest of the cast is a bunch of wakadoodles. I'm not sure if it s lesson on how not to do characters, or the wacky characters makes the show watchable. Hime is awesome though. Also, Canaria's singing gives me Macross vibes.
      Avatar: Shimarin from Laid Back Camo.

Comment

Great Iwasaki score, but otherwise very obnoxious all around. Blech.
        My Top Anime | Manga
        My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
        My FP Reviews | Twitter
        FPR Episodes | Apple

Comment

Okay so Icchan is extremely arrogant and needs to come back to earth. Probably one of the most arrogant asses I've seen.
          Anyway, so they're are three main schools, Kanagawa, Chiba, and Tokyo. And each has a head and a second-in-command. And that arrogant little neko is the Tokyo head.
          The fight with the creatures with undecided names was pretty okay. The whole episode was barely ok. Nothing really appealed to me except that ClariS ED (because ClariS). There was that one slightly interesting part in the end where that bird disappears. Anywho, I'll give it another episode maybe, but I don't think I'll be fully sold here.
          My ReviewsMy MAL ProfileMy Anime List

Comment

At first, I was a bit hesitant about the series due to the MC being full of himself, but the more I thought about the cast in general was kind of problematic. Which is probably the point here. Also, Hime, I can't say no to Hime.

Actually one thing that sparked my interest was reading a blog post about the source material. The anime is actually based on not just one light novel series, but multiple series meant to be part of a shared universe.

So yeah the reason why the other two schools felt like they also had a pair of Main characters is no accident. Of course no my expectations are much higher because my interest in Hime & Asuha, those two better get plenty of focus.

Comment

Episode 2

Listen to the ocean.

Everybody is off to the ocean and putting on swimsuits by Gutoku's orders to defeat an enemy that hid itself underwater. While Ichiya just keeps on dropping in rank, he did come through there in the end using his senses to know where exactly to shoot to defeat the enemy. From that attack, the place is on high alert seeing that the higher-ups realize that the enemy now knows about the layout of the place and where to go in order to avoid being detected.

Well, after a decent enough first episode that was carried by the action, this one is silly stuff, fanservice, and a bunch of kids acting all high and mighty here, and not really advancing the story here. Ichiya continues to be a jerk, but at least he knows what he's doing when it comes to fighting, while Hotaru and Hima continue to be great. This one has much less action than the first, and the story was just a mess in this episode. Anyway, I'll give it another episode or two before making a decision on this show seeing that the technical aspects are great, but the more important story-driven aspects are lacking.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

I actually liked this episode a good bit more than the first. With that one we just felt kind of thrown into the action without getting to know the characters much. And it felt like what we did get to know wasn't the better side of them either. Well, the guys really still are jerks, but I guess maybe down a notch this time?

Heh, I love when they just got to lunch at the restaurant, and we can see Hotaru immediately rushing forward and replenishing her Hime reserves off-screen. The withdrawal was getting to be pretty severe. :D And Asuha's really kind of cute despite her attitude. Well, that attitude kind of has an appeal to me too, for whatever reason.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

To make up for the lackluster first episode they decided to put their females in bikinis but it didn't work out well. After helping out in the reconstruction of the damaged bridge, they go underwater to take out an unidentified unknown which was spotted by two gays.

The only thing I'm liking here (apart from that ED) is the comedy. Their constant fighting is quite hilarious. Their insults, especially the ones the two boys shoot at each other is quite funny. Lol Icchan forgets Aoi's name even though he said that he'll remember her name because her power is useful. And the Chiba boy calls him trash and other similar adjectives just because of that. Then their fighting when the two boys and Hotaru were in the tunnel was hilarious. Hotaru is fun with her outward serious self and then running low on Himenimium and then proceeding to tickle Hime after meeting her after probably a couple of hours. The kinpatsu is annoying but she has a good body but she's still not fun to watch like the rest.

The world itself is pretty much okay. The part about the birds vanishing after flying a bit too far has been told. They have eradicated unknowns within a specific area out of which who knows how many unknowns are. The same can't be said underwater where different somewhat evolved for water unknowns are lurking. That was the only slightly interesting bit which has been solved and now there's nothing more to look forward to in the story. One thing worth mentioning here is that Icchan isn't the only main male character here as the other dude also gets an equal amount of focus in the OP and in the episodes themselves. Would be cool if this doesn't have typical harem hijinks and focuses on character interactions of the whole group. It would also benefit from doing something good with its story. Most of the world building is probably done already so I'm not sure what more they can do here. Anyway, giving it maybe two more episodes, but I don't have much hopes.

Comment

Episode 3

One man can't take down a fortress.

A threat unlike anything else has emerged in the form of a fortress in the sea. Ichiya goes off to try and defeat it on his own, but he totally underestimated the situation as there were lots of small fries in the way, while that Leviathan-class Unknown is even bigger than it looks. Canaria gives it her all with the song, but she used too much of it and is gravely injured from that and the enemy's blast.

I can see why they decided to have that swimsuit episode last week seeing that from the look of things, it will be serious from hereon out, and they wanted to get that in so that they don't have to find a place for it later in the show without interrupting the mood. Anyway, that was some pretty serious stuff there at the end, and it's no wonder why everybody was having issues with Ichiya. His brash and reckless behavior got everybody in a lot of trouble, and more so with Canaria than the others. Hopefully this is a humbling experience for him that will change his arrogant attitude. But before that, there's Canaria to worry about.

So with that, I think I'll put this show on my season watchlist seeing that Saturdays just have too many crappy shows this season. I won't lock its spot in just yet, but from the look of things, I'm leaning towards keeping it.

Comment

Re: Episode 3

Ichiya so tsun. Just admit it that you were worried about your subordinate dammit! And because of him visiting the injured, a super strong enemy showed up and he couldn't make it back in time which started to eat at him so he went out before dawn to take it out alone despite this supposed to be a team effort. And Canaria comes to his rescue to back him up, but probably overworks herself. And the most arrogant person in the whole world ends up having to ask for help from others for Canaria's sake, which is quite something.

That last bit was interesting since Ichiya has been saying nothing but he's only what they all need, but now he knows that he can't do anything and needs help. He isn't asking for help just from his own subordinates, but probably from the other two factions too. And that has made me want to give it another episode.

Comment

Episode 4

Finish what you started.

With Canaria badly injured, Ichiya decides that he will continue fighting and this time, he coordinates the attack on that gigantic Unknown. He puts the plan into action, and just when it looked like it will end with the monster retreating, Canaria comes out of the hospital to support her comrades and help destroy the monster, with Maihime delivering the final blow. Ichiya gets a demotion in rank as punishment, and then something from out of nowhere hits Canaria.

That was a pretty good fight there, and it turns out experiencing this has made Ichiya more humble realizing that fighting Unknowns is a team effort. But my goodness, that cliffhanger ending, that came as a total blindside. At least Ichiya is less of an egomaniac and more of a team player because moving forward he'll need to be that way. And so, I have decided to keep this show for the season.

Comment

Re: Episode 4

I don't think I had noticed that panda hood girl before. I'm quite curious to see more of what she's like.

It's nice to see Ichiya and company are finally getting the value of being cooperative over being angsty rivals, and seeing those efforts pay off. But dang, that post-credits sequence... I really felt like Canaria was going to be a shocking early casualty with the previous episode, but then they lulled me into a false sense of security with this episode. Seemed like she was going to recover just fine (and we're past the dreaded episode 3 of an anime series which often is the one to claim lives). But then we got the commander panicking and I just knew again that things weren't going to be ending well. I do enjoy the cast of characters a little bit, but was feeling like putting this on the backburner due to the story. But with this brutal cliffhanger I'm at least going to have to check 5 as soon as possible because I'm quite curious to see what aftermath we're getting.

Comment

Well that was some ending. Everything was fine and good and then WHAM!
                            Avatar: Shimarin from Laid Back Camo.

Comment

So as expected, Ichiya changes for the better. He loses his arrogance and goes for teamwork rather than doing stuff on his own. He has accepted the fact that he can't do everything on his own and can only accomplish stuff with the help of his friends. Nothing interesting here. The amusing part though was where that Chiba guy was calling Ichiya small fry, pathetic and similar stuff and Ichiya was putting him off by agreeing with him. And then everyone's reaction to Ichiya talking somewhat normally was also hilarious.

The ending was kinda unexpected though. I did not see Canaria being blown away or whatever by something. And more despair for Ichiya.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X