Amanchu! Discussion Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Episode 11

Futaba and Pikari find an extremely tiny kitten who was about to get snatched up by a crow. And they pick up the neko, feed her, and then try to find her a place. Futaba finds herself relating to the neko's situation. The neko is all alone in this unknown world with no one by her side, just like she had been all this time until she met her middle school friends. She doesn't want the neko to stay like that so she's trying hard to get her a place. And the principal takes her in because he was finding a wife for Aria. They just had to name the cat Aria.

Now Futaba will be taking the diver test which will determine whether she'll be allowed to dive or not. It'll be her first time diving and even if she feels scared she'll have Pikari by her side so it'll all go well.
    My ReviewsMy MAL ProfileMy Anime List

Comment

Episode 12 (Finale)

All for fun and fun for all!

And so it ends with Futaba going scuba diving in the ocean for the last leg of her training, and at that moment, her anxiety turned into excitement. With that mindset, she passes the exam and is now a licensed scuba diver. It wasn't easy as she had dropped one of her flippers, but she knew what she needed to do all while getting to experience the thrills of the deep sea. That was quite a way to end this show as it puts a cap on Futaba's character transformation from a nobody who was so unsure of herself into a somebody with a purpose in life. That talk there at the end between Hikari and Futaba pretty much puts a nice wrap on things.

Overall, this show is Kozue Amano doing what she does best in telling a story that's mostly focused on bonds between characters, all while doing so in a laid-back atmosphere. The character development is nicely done as it does a great job in advancing Futaba's character through all of the little pleasures in life that culminate with the scuba diving adventure at the end. While the show was slow-moving, there was never a dull moment. The animation is also something this show does very well with another great job by J.C. Staff. That said, this show has some big problems. First of all, it overdid it with the chibi faces and while it's something that defines Amano, I felt that there were a lot more than what was actually necessary. Second of all, the pacing of the story as there should have been some more scuba diving action, but it ended up spending a good amount of time with sidetracks and other stuff and while they develop bonds, they really don't add much to the overall story. And lastly, there could have been more depth to the characters. But in any case, since I enjoyed Aria that I knew I was going to enjoy this show, and I was greatly satisfied with it.

MAL Rating: ********--
      Last edited by Buckeye; 09-23-2016, 11:09 AM.
      MyAnimeList | Avatar: Violet Evergarden of KyoAni's Violet Evergarden
      Watching: Kyo Kara Maoh, Pokemon Sun and Moon, Toonami Stuff
      Simulcasts: FTL, FRB, KYB, FGN, MIX, FIL
      The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 12 (Finale)

It was fun when they got to the floor and Teko got to doing the tests. Sensei uses the chance to show off her elite mask clearing skills. :D

And Pikari really gets to show off her moe side here, letting it out how she's been told off before for pushing ahead and deciding things for others, and how she worried about that. But Teko ended up being the perfect pair for her, and Pikari gets to confessing her love in the end.

Comment

Ooohhh. Love confession by Pikari at the end there.
          Avatar: Shimarin from Laid Back Camo.

Comment

Futaba's first ocean dive goes quite well. She initially got scared because she saw a never ending sea beneath her. She couldn't see where that abyss ended and it scared her. But when she looked at it as a new world with many mysteries, it didn't feel so scary. And then things go pretty smoothly and she passes. The music during the underwater time was pretty good and made things feel better.

The show was about Futaba getting over her fear of trying new things as she goes for something she didn't think she would do before coming to this school. She goes for something new and despite having second thoughts at first, she ends up doing it and experiences something new which she enjoys. And she has Pikari to thank for that because simply looking at Pikari going headfirst into almost everything without being afraid was enough to make her want to give things another try. The anime showed this quite nicely. It felt like it had a less peaceful environment as compared to Aria or last season's Flying Witch, but it was still a great watch nevertheless. The cats didn't come off as amusing or cute though, but that's a minor issue. Overall a very good show.
            My ReviewsMy MAL ProfileMy Anime List

Comment

Episode 13

Friends let friends go scuba diving.

Crunchyroll just got this OVA episode, and while Futaba was talking up about Akane and Chizuru, they never appeared outside flashbacks. Well, this episode changes that as those two friends from her old school have made the trip to visit her and take in the town. Not to mention, experience scuba diving and get exposed to Hikari's wacko self. Chizuru has quite a tough time dealing with the change in pressure there, but Hikari is there to save the day. I was wanting to see those two meet up with Futaba again, and that's what happens here. Too bad Ai and Makoto miss out on all the fun.
              MyAnimeList | Avatar: Violet Evergarden of KyoAni's Violet Evergarden
              Watching: Kyo Kara Maoh, Pokemon Sun and Moon, Toonami Stuff
              Simulcasts: FTL, FRB, KYB, FGN, MIX, FIL
              The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 13

Hah, I love how this pops up just right when I resume an Aria marathon. Such appropriately coincidental timing! Especially since this probably does exactly what I would want an OVA to do and gets to showing Futaba's Aria-cameo friends getting to come visit and how they interact with Pikari. Looking back in the comments of this discussion thread, I see it noted how we didn't get a "kinshi" out of Chizuru... oh, but there is one here as she's arriving with Akane. They have the appropriate chibi expressions too!

It's interesting the focus we get of Chizuru's reaction to how much things have changed with Futaba. We now have her a bit in Futaba's place where she began, with Chizuru feeling uncomfortable how much the Futaba she knew has changed and (hehe) how very close Hikari has gotten to her. Even as Hikari's being friendly and helpful as usual at first, Chizuru is not warm to her approach. I love how the nickname gets to bugging her to where she comes out and asks about it. Can't remember if we ever got the actual origin of "Teko" before, but this was a fun way to finally bring it out if not. Also neat how this ties in with the last time they made their cameo in episode 9 with the subject of the digital photo frame gift. Interesting how the happy resolution to Futaba angsting over how to preserve the memories of her old friends is actually something that gets Chizuru to feel it's part of the opposite not knowing the background behind it. Akane, on the other hand, is rather warm and receptive of what she gets to see from Futaba's new experience from the start. She gets to noticing what's up with Chizuru's feelings and talking with her over. Her personality and the way she takes this if fitting with who she takes after (or I guess technically, who takes after her).

Though in the end, as they get to go diving, Chizuru finally gets to recognizing Hikari's goodness, when Hikari sweeps over to help immediately after noticing the painful difficulties Chizuru is going through. And in the end, Chizuru gets to move on to having a nice experience of the dive and symbolically the world Futaba has gotten to be a part of now. Definitely a rather sweet end to their visit, and Hikari is happy to invite them back. Haha, it will be amusing if by next time they come back, Akane and Chizuru have found and made friends with a quirky kouhai at school with a "dekkai...desu" vocal tic.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                Widgets Magazine
                Working...
                X