X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Summer 2016] Amanchu! Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    あまんちゅ!

From the same guy who did the Aria series comes another adventure involving girls in the water. This time, these girls take on scuba diving.

Airs: Friday, July 8

Studio: J.C. Staff

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

Hikari Kohinata is a cheerful 15-year-old girl who lives near the ocean and she spends much of her time diving as a result. On her first day of high school, she meets a teacher who also likes scuba diving. There's also a 16-year-old classmate, Futaba, who gets dragged along in Hikari's maelstrom as soon as they meet at school. Most of the manga so far details the relationship between the two girls, which quickly seems to move into romantic two girl friendship-territory.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Rikka "Lily" Isurugi, Black Fox
    Watching: Gate, Mitsuboshi Colors, Snow White with the Red Hair, Ghost Hound, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, KYB, FRB, MIX, FIL, MTI, DUN, ALS, COP, DRS, IDD, FSN-LE, VLS, MMZ, GIV, HES, HDB, AKO, NHG, RST, SND, PKC
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Fun is infinite like the ocean.

So it begins with Futaba going to a new school and is in the same class as the scuba diving enthusiast Hikari. Futaba is such a shy girl, but she made a friend right off the bat seeing how energetic and friendly Hikari is. Pretty much, this is all introductions to Hikari, nicknamed Pikari, and Futaba, nicknamed Teko.

This show is exactly what I remember about Aria with the girls, the cats, the funny faces, the water, and above all the laid-back atmosphere. Junichi Sato and Kozue Amano sure did a great job in bringing all of the great elements of Aria into this show. Definitely a keeper for the season seeing that Aria turned out to be great, and so far it looks like this show should be every bit as fun.
    Last edited by Buckeye; 07-08-2016, 12:29 PM.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Rikka "Lily" Isurugi, Black Fox
    Watching: Gate, Mitsuboshi Colors, Snow White with the Red Hair, Ghost Hound, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, KYB, FRB, MIX, FIL, MTI, DUN, ALS, COP, DRS, IDD, FSN-LE, VLS, MMZ, GIV, HES, HDB, AKO, NHG, RST, SND, PKC
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

That seemed like a pretty yuriffic OP. Actually a yuriffic first episode on top of that. I could tell Hikari was admiring Futaba's long beautiful hair at first sight of her, and of course when they finally get to talking in class near the end, it's one of the things she brings up. And gets Futaba blushing a lot.

Hah, Amano Kozue's chibi faces are the best. Pikari's weird face is so perfectly fitting of her personality. Teko's is more standard-looking but just as adorably fitting of her.

No trying to rope Teko into diving just yet, but of course looks like we're going to get right to that next episode. Very much looking forward to more of this.
      Last edited by EmperorBrandon; 07-09-2016, 11:49 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Hikari is nuts That was pretty cute and pleasant, though this is more outright oddball comedy than anything else.
        Avatar: Craft Lawrence from Spice and Wolf.
        Scratchy for Tama is angry.
        Casually Reviewing: ???

Comment

Re: Amanchu! Discussion Thread

Just started reading the (Japanese) manga recently (only halfway through volume 1 so far) and at the rate they're going so far in the anime they have plenty of story left to animate. And that despite skipping some stuff (in the manga Hikari races her teacher [which she doesn't know is her teacher yet] to school).

Anyway, loved it so far, looking forward to next week.
          No Blu-Ray, No Buy. Seriously, it's 2016.
          My Backlog

Comment

Yeah, Hikari is overly hyperactive...should be interesting to see Futaba counterbalance her zaniness. Though I think the animation used a bit too much SD...almost feels as though they wanted to cut through scenes as efficiently as possible. Aria had plenty, sure, but it didn't feel too overused; here it seemed like almost every frame Hikari was nothing but her in SD. Maybe budget balancing due to animating her eyes?

Almost thought that was Alicia on the poster in the preview...has a similar feel to what I've seen of her in the past...

Comment

Originally posted by Sensuifu View Post
              Yeah, Hikari is overly hyperactive...should be interesting to see Futaba counterbalance her zaniness. Though I think the animation used a bit too much SD...almost feels as though they wanted to cut through scenes as efficiently as possible. Aria had plenty, sure, but it didn't feel too overused; here it seemed like almost every frame Hikari was nothing but her in SD. Maybe budget balancing due to animating her eyes?

Almost thought that was Alicia on the poster in the preview...has a similar feel to what I've seen of her in the past...
              Alicia is not the only familiar face that made an appearance in this episode

As for the SD and Hikari, I think it's deliberate and…this isn't Aria. Here, it's entirely about Hikari nuttiness, not an occasional thing. We'd need a manga reader to confirm whether Hikari shows up in SD face form as much in the manga.

The impression I get is that this is much more Amano deliberately going for humor. It's definitely not iyashikei.

Comment

Hikari's SD faces are certainly...weird and a little creepy. Futaba's SD faces are really adorable. It's SatoJun, so it's a must watch.
                Avatar: Shimarin from Laid Back Camo.

Comment

Originally posted by Library-chan View Post
                  Hikari's SD faces are certainly...weird and a little creepy. Futaba's SD faces are really adorable. It's SatoJun, so it's a must watch.
                  Hikari's faces remind of the face you'd see on some puppets. In fact, I think with some editing you could turn this into a horror anime with Hikari being the smile of death.

Still the series is good for the most part, off to a nice start.
                  "So be it you have control of the world, but I will rule the universe! The power of Sword and Axe!"
                  Avatar: Tatyana of Romancing SaGa 3

Comment

I never really loved Aria until the Origination, but I'm not feeling this one nearly enough to stick with it.
                    My Top Anime | Manga
                    My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                    My FP Reviews | Twitter
                    FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Originally posted by Hitsugi Amachi View Post
                      The impression I get is that this is much more Amano deliberately going for humor. It's definitely not iyashikei.
                      I don't know, but the humor is a bit flat right now and Jim Henson's Hikari is somewhat too forceful in trying to elicit some giggles. Aria isn't a comedy, but I sure as hell got more laughs from its subtleties. Even when it was being deliberate with its SD scenes, they just felt natural, no pun intended. I think this will take a bit longer for me to really feel it, and perhaps there's something deeper behind Hikari's character yet to be revealed, so maybe the muppet faces won't be as frequent...can't imagine how they'll muppetize their appearances while scuba diving.

Comment

I don't know, but the humor is a bit flat right now and Jim Henson's Hikari is somewhat too forceful in trying to elicit some giggles. Aria isn't a comedy, but I sure as hell got more laughs from its subtleties. Even when it was being deliberate with its SD scenes, they just felt natural, no pun intended. I think this will take a bit longer for me to really feel it, and perhaps there's something deeper behind Hikari's character yet to be revealed, so maybe the muppet faces won't be as frequent...can't imagine how they'll muppetize their appearances while scuba diving.
                        I'm not disagreeing with you about Hikari. It is much too forced at the moment. I'm more interested in Futaba and her story so far. If we'll get any more depth about it.

Comment

I'm not disagreeing with you about Hikari. It is much too forced at the moment. I'm more interested in Futaba and her story so far. If we'll get any more depth about it.
                          I liked Aria, but was never much head over heels about it. But I think nothing is in fact forced for Amanchu. This is--at least through Junuchi Satou, who has always embraced oddball humor more than anything else--a story of pure whimsy and joy. The teacher's speech--even her anxiousness of how cool it was--sums this up.

It's nothing new, the story of the wallflower from the city (Futaba) being opened up by the wild country girl (Hikari, er, I mean, Pikari). You've last seen it with Non Non Biyori. And that describes a guide to this as well: simplicity. Looking for deliberate iyashikei ignores the more appropriately passive moments of it, notably the entire beginning sequence that aptly described both main characters, Hikari lying on the sea floor enjoying nothing more than the moment, Futaba perched on the rocks above her ignorant of the moment surrounding her. (The rock tossing was very funny; but it was funny, too, for having Futaba shown as the one dusturbing Hikari's world, not quite the other way around.)

(My difference with Aria was that there the iyashikei could feel more forced upon me at times, as if the passing circumstance alone could not make it clear. The more obvious humor here I think can better showcase it, and it promises, perhaps, an evolution of Amano's style.)

The shifting character animation speaks to the ephemeral whimsy and fun, as I'd long since come expect from Satou. (His time with Amano's works is but one example; rewatch something like Princess Tutu to see how deliberate it all can be, even in something so dramatic.) But likewise I'd expect nothing deep about Hikari, not really anyway--it's not her story about growth, it's Futaba's. Hikari's a classic trickster and guide.

Just give in.
                          Last edited by bctaris; 07-09-2016, 09:32 PM.
                          Avatar: Tsumugi, Sweetness & Lightning
                          Moderation: General Anime; English Track; Movie; TV | TFP Forum Rules
                          Please Support The Fandom Post

Comment

Originally posted by bctaris View Post
                            It's nothing new, the story of the wallflower from the city (Futaba) being opened up by the wild country girl (Hikari, er, I mean, Pikari). You've last seen it with Non Non Biyori. And that describes a guide to this as well: simplicity. Looking for deliberate iyashikei ignores the more appropriately passive moments of it, notably the entire beginning sequence that aptly described both main characters, Hikari lying on the sea floor enjoying nothing more than the moment, Futaba perched on the rocks above her ignorant of the moment surrounding her. (The rock tossing was very funny; but it was funny, too, for having Futaba shown as the one dusturbing Hikari's world, not quite the other way around.)
                            I admit, I did laugh at the rock toss; that was good. I'm not necessarily watching this as iyashikei, but did have some preconceptions that it could be incorporating some similarities to a show like Aria- the easygoing tone, music, and general languid setting certainly gives off a familiar vibe. I know I probably shouldn't compare the two as they're supposedly different overall (considering the initial impressions of the characters alone), but it's hard not to when there is some recognizable likeness between them. Any instances where they take a step back to ogle the peaceful serenity surrounding them, can give that feeling (as noted when Futaba is suddenly told to appreciate what's in front of her since she's made the effort in the first place).

Still, I'll continue to watch this. I have a feeling there will be some significance of a Hikari backstory as much as we expect the real focus of Futaba trying to fit in her new setting. Like Aria, much of it was about Akari's growth, but then there were entire arcs that shifted focus to the other characters, so I'm kind of expecting the same will be done here. How they'll execute within the allotted episode count, I'm curious, but I'm also looking forward to both characters having some depth to their charm/situation. Moreso for Futaba, but certainly appreciated if equally done for Hikari.

Comment

Originally posted by bctaris View Post
                              Just give in.
                              I will never give in!

But I am going to keep watching

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X