X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Summer 2016] Sweetness and Lightning Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    甘々と稲妻

A show about a teacher who can't cook, his daughter, and a friend who cooks for them.

Airs: Monday, July 4

Studio: TMS Entertainment

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

Kouhei Inuzuka is a teacher who has been caring for his little daughter on his own since his wife's death. He's no good at cooking, so he and his daughter Tsumugi have been eating packaged meals from the convenience store. A series of events lead him one evening to a restaurant run by the mother of one of his students, Kotori. Her mother isn't there, but Kotori does her best to feed them both. It turns out Kotori is often alone since her parents are divorced and her mother is frequently not around. The three of them begin to meet and cook tasty food together.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Nanako Yukishiro, Senryu Girl
    Watching: Stellvia, Baki, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, TOA-I, TSL, SAO, KTF, CQK, KMF, DAL, TSH, PNL, More TBD
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Here's some food for thought.

This show is all about food, but while Kotori or anybody else in this show don't have any aspirations to become gourmet chefs like in Food Wars, all they need to do is make sure Tsumugi is well-fed. Ever since Tsumugi's mother died, Kouhei has been pretty incompetent as a chef seeing that he's so busy being a teacher. It's a good thing he ran into Kotori, who happens to be a student at the school he teaches because anything she cooks is way better than what Kouhei puts out. It's one of those laid-back shows where it's all about daily life. I'll give it another episode or two before deciding what to do about this show seeing that it has made a favorable impression, but not a convincing one at the moment.
    Last edited by Buckeye; 07-04-2016, 06:52 PM.
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

Oh no, out of mini-tomatoes! I like how even though dad is bad at the domestic chores, it's in a more understated way than you see in anime. Always tend to either be perfectly good or complete disaster zone. But the food he makes doesn't seem to be very good at all. He just stomachs his own stuff and buys packaged food for his Tsumugi (having given up on that due to adverse reactions).

Tsumugi is quite adorable as I'd expect, though with quite the crazy hair. Besides the age-appropriate voicing like we get with Bunny Drop and Barakamon (which I like: the girl in this also voiced Hina in the latter), it was also interesting to see in the ending credits there was a credit of "Ayumi-chan" for Tsumugi's drawings. So it seems like they might have gotten a girl Tsumugi's age to do them, which is neat too.

There's a sad background to this with the mother having passed away not too long ago. Did really get to me the moment Kouhei teared up when he saw Tsumugi so happy with a meal cooked for her. Going to be interesting to see Kotori's role going forward. Hopefully it continues to be quite heartwarming.

Comment

This was pretty good. I feel sorry for the poor little Tsugumi. She's a little girl with no mother and her teacher father is raising her alone. And being a working man he doesn't have time to learn how to cook so he got by with store bought food. But seeing how happy Tsugumi was after eating something better tasting he decides to try and cook better food for her. Inuzuka is juggling between his work and raising his child as an only parent which, of course, is difficult for him since he can't ignore his work or his child. Kotori was cute. She tried to act all cool so that the little girl doesn't get disappointed and tried to cook rice when she didn't know what to do.

I think I teared up a bit when Tsugumi ate that good tasting rice with her father after a long time. This is such a nice show. The comedy is also good enough here and it will be nice seeing Inuzuka trying to make his daughter happy. It seems like either he didn't tell Tsugumi about the death of her mother or that he said something like "she's gone to some faraway place and won't come back" and Tsugumi didn't get what he meant or Tsugumi doesn't understand what death is or something else (because Tsugumi said something like let's ask mom to make some good food). Would be pretty emotional if they show Tsugumi learning about the death of her mother. Definitely looking forward to more here.
        My ReviewsMy MAL ProfileMy Anime List

Comment

I'm not going to go so far as to compare it to the likes of Yotsubato!, Usagi Drop (the anime), or Barakamon, but this was still adorable. Hoping it stays at least as good.
          My Top Anime | Manga
          My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
          My FP Reviews | Twitter
          FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 2

That just isn't going to cut it.

Seeing that it is quite unusual for teachers to meet up with students outside of school that Kouhei decides to speak with Kotori's parents. Except that she got called up at the last minute to do something about her cooking show. So Kouhei and Kotori together make some pork soup for dinner, and while Kotori is a pretty good cook herself, she's afraid of knives for some reason, so Kouhei has to step in and cut the veggies and potatoes. That was another nice and laid-back episode here where together, Kouhei and Kotori have what it takes to give Tsumugi great food day after day. Kotori's family situation is troubling in a way with her parents divorcing and she's living with her mother, who is seemingly out of the house all the time, so that's something to be mindful of going forward.

So far, this show has done a nice job in doing what it set out to do, and while it's making a great case for inclusion, I will see how it stacks up agains the rest of the season before making the call.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

Well, it's definitely good Kouhei is thinking about what's proper here, particularly with the point of Kotori being in his class emphasized. He talks with a senior teacher for advice and is quite reluctant about what Kotori proposed. Kotori does have the force of cuteness on her side, though. Best part of that is when Tsumugi poses with Kotori's old apron, particularly the awkward forced expression that's adorable to the max.

It's nice to finally know a bit why Kotori has been so insistent about cooking together, though. I do wonder if there's a specific incident related to Kotori's fear of kitchen knives and if we'll find out about it.

The main trio are nice, though looking at the OP/ED, I'm curious to find out about the supporting cast. Curious to see more of Tsumugi with her kindergarten friends, and it looks like their moms may be around too. Also seems to be another high school girl. Kotori seems like a bit of loner right now, so I'd be happy to see some befriending.

Comment

So the story's central theme is made more clear, of course: food, and the preparing of it, and eating of it together with friends and family (in every expression of the word) as a key to happiness, community, and well being. I like that. It's nice to have that overiding theme, like so many great "food" movies, to both mitigate and redefine the more ready themes (the cute rambunctious little girl, the befuddled father, the dead spouse, the MIA parent, the loner teen girl with budding moe attributes) that I've experienced before. There's nothing like food to bring people together, and despite how important it is to Japanese culture, and how ever present in anime, a show dedicated to this expression of it is rare. (Lots more in manga, however.)

Two food-orientated shows this season. Fun. And coming off all the Wakako-zake live action, I'm primed for more fun with Japanese food culture. Not that I'm sure there's not a lot more to see on the human drama side of things here--all of which seems so far to be developing with patient realism. (Tsumugi's hair is still ridiculous, but what can you do?)

Some of the details are also fun. Like just the way Kouhei holds the knife or turns the vegetables he's cutting. Also loved his earlier line about losing the nerve to buy vegetables in the first place. (If you're not sure where or how to use them, it is intimidating indeed. )
                Avatar: Tsumugi, Sweetness & Lightning
                Moderation: General Anime; English Track; Movie; TV | TFP Forum Rules
                Please Support The Fandom Post

Comment

Originally posted by bctaris View Post
                  …the loner teen girl with budding moe attributes
                  This is something that occurred to me watching this episode: I'm not sure (yet) if the manga author was planning anything romantic, but what I think is drawing Kotori more to Kohei in just a "I want to connect with another human being," not necessarily romantic, way is that she's very lonely. Her mother is never around and the restaurant she grew up in has been practically abandoned, as the Father is nowhere in sight either (can't recall if he's even been mentioned, probably has but in such a casual, passing way that the information just slipped right past me). After learning about Kohei's loss…perhaps a sort of kindred feeling there.

(Tsumugi's hair is still ridiculous, but what can you do?)
                  Just go with the flow

Some of the details are also fun. Like just the way Kouhei holds the knife or turns the vegetables he's cutting. Also loved his earlier line about losing the nerve to buy vegetables in the first place. (If you're not sure where or how to use them, it is intimidating indeed. )
                  Just stick to vegetables that come in a bag, don't need to be cut and can just be steamed or boiled (Baby carrots, cauliflower, peas, broccoli, spinach the basics).
                  Avatar: Craft Lawrence from Spice and Wolf.
                  Scratchy for Tama is angry.
                  Casually Reviewing: ???

Comment

I feel like Kouhei when cooking. A good point of connection. This story could get old, but the execution is still keeping it very enjoyable to me. Hopefully it blossoms into a bit more.
                    My Top Anime | Manga
                    My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                    My FP Reviews | Twitter
                    FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

So Inuzuka is doing his best to cook food for Tsugumi. Even though the food is burnt or undercooked, Tsugumi still eats it happily. And Inuzuka comes over to Kotori's restaurant to meet with her mom but she was out. Lol Kotori so evil. She gets Tsugumi on her side so that Inuzuka can't refuse and she gets her way. And then she has Inuzuka do all the cutting and cooking and everything since she's afraid of knives. And Tsugumi is happy in the end since the food tasted good. It was pretty nice seeing Tsugumi happy after eating good food. Inuzuka is doing all this for Tsugumi and is going to come over to Kotori's restaurant more because Tsugumi has taken a liking to Kotori and the restaurant. Inuzuka will do whatever it takes to keep Tsugumi happy.

Comment

Episode 3

It's not stealing.

Kotori's mother appears through TV, and she's really going all out with the seifuku and greeting Kotori on the air like that. Tsumugi gets herself in a bit of trouble as she's accused of stealing clay when it was being loaned to her, and accidentally scratching Mikio. But just leave it to Kotori and Kouhei to cook up some Hamburg steak after a tough day, and all is good. They didn't get to eat that the last time around, but here she finally gets to taste what she wanted all this time. Great to see Tsumugi getting back on her feet after all that.

So with that, I think I'll go ahead and call this show a keeper as it has been great, lighthearted fun.

Comment

Re: Episode 3

Aww... Tsumugi's definitely not a bad girl. That she was so concerned about it in the first place proves it. It's nice Kotori pushed Kouhei to try and get Tsumugi to communicate that. That was what got her on the way to lifting up her spirits. The meal was being done to cheer her up, but just whipping up a good meal is not necessarily a magical fix-all in this show. It is complementary.

Comment

Little boys are the worst. I'm sure Mikio just has a crush on Tsumugi. The girls are all total sweethearts, and even though Tsumugi does react the way you'd expect a girl of her age to react after everything Mikio did, she still feels bad in the end until Kouhei can cheer her up, with the help of Kotori and of course the Hamburg steak that happened to start it all.

Kouhei's adventures in the world of cooking are still in the very preliminary stages, and continue to remind me a great deal of my own experiences. It does get boring, but overall the show is still very enjoyable. You can't say no to Tsumugi's face.

It was also amusing to see Kotori excited to see her mother on TV and then shocked and appalled when she immediately speaks directly to her in a sailor outfit.
                            My Top Anime | Manga
                            My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                            My FP Reviews | Twitter
                            FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

So this episode was basically showing that kids are honest and innocent. Tsugumi got all that clay from her friends but one brat calling her a thief stuck in her head and she felt bad about taking all that clay for herself. Even though there was absolutely nothing wrong with what happened, she still couldn't help but feel that she did something wrong by taking all that clay. She probably felt that it was selfish of her along with thinking that it could possibly be stealing since she got more than the rest of the kids. I felt a bit teary when she started crying after eating the food. Despite Inuzuka's cooking being burnt and probably not that good tasting, Tsugumi still eats it and says it's delicious – at least her father is trying and her meal isn't store bought and is homemade. Lol when Kotori's mom came on tv in a sailor uniform. And Kotori was mad not because her mom was dressing up like a child on television, but because she looked cuter than her in it. This was a pretty good episode. It didn't have a lot of comedy, but it sure made up for that with its Tsugumi ordeal which was done pretty nicely. I'm liking this show even more with each episode.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X