X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Summer 2016] Taboo Tattoo Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    タブー・タトゥー

A show about a type of tattoo that is actually a type of secret weapon, and the fighters who have them.

Airs: Monday, July 4

Studio: J.C. Staff

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

Justice Akazuka (nickname Seigi) is a young man who is good at martial arts. Seigi rescues a homeless old man on the street one day from some thugs, and the man gives Seigi an object that imprints a tattoo on his palm. However, it is not an ordinary tattoo, but a special weapon that gives Seigi supernatural powers such as warping space-time. Seigi then meets a female American agent named Easy, whose duty is to recover the tattoos. Seigi decides to help her and gets wrapped up in a cross-national conspiracy.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Nanako Yukishiro, Senryu Girl
    Watching: Ingress, Ancient Magus' Bride, Pokemon Sun and Moon, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, DRO, CQK, RSH, AOT, BSD, FRB, OPM, KYB, FGN, SKS, MLA, SMT, HBS, KOT, MIX, WNL, KMA, FIL, IDM, ISQ, SRG, STW
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

That's gonna leave a mark.

So it begins with the MC Seigi administering justice like his name implies, and he gets a tattoo that happens to be a secret weapon that is a huge threat, and he is being stalked by Izzy, who is older than she looks. Even among these tattoo weapons, his is special in that it is a triggerless void tattoo. While this show didn't exactly set things up properly with all sorts of action and things happening just like that, it does have a lot of intrigue. From the look of things, Seigi is going to have a harem of tattoo fighters coming to him, but without any romance involved. Anyway, that was a decent enough start with nice animation, sound, and action, but so far the characters are generic. Izzy made some funny moments there, which is surprising given the atmosphere. Anyway, I'll give it another episode or two, if only because those other girls figure to be interesting characters in this.
    Simulcasts: FTL, DRO, CQK, RSH, AOT, BSD, FRB, OPM, KYB, FGN, SKS, MLA, SMT, HBS, KOT, MIX, WNL, KMA, FIL, IDM, ISQ, SRG, STW
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

This didn't feel much interesting. Kinda boring overall. The comedy didn't work well at all because of the somewhat serious atmosphere it has because of the artwork.. The artwork was good but it didn't work with the kind of comedy it tried to do. The story itself doesn't have any intriguing bits. Probably gonna be about people with tattoos fighting while the bishoujo, Tom and the MC try to get their tattoos or whatever. Doesn't really have much to look forward to.
      My ReviewsMy MAL ProfileMy Anime List

Comment

Re: Taboo Tattoo Discussion Thread

This feels like the kind of action anime that was a lot more prominent 10-15 years ago. The visuals are pretty strong all around -- the artwork, the cinematography, and the action choreography -- but the storytelling is a bit flat in the way that was common for most of those shows. Not one I'll be sticking with, but honestly very close.
        My Top Anime | Manga
        My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
        My FP Reviews | Twitter
        FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 2

Beware of blood.

It's just like ReLife with Izzy going back to school thanks to her tattoo halting the aging process in her body, but here she is doing this to keep surveillance on Seigi. And she sort of tells Seigi the truth about his void tattoo except the part about it being triggerless as instead, he is told that blood is the trigger. Tom's house really is something with a huge underground training facility. But all of this has drawn suspicion on Touka, and something has taken over her to become violent. The comedy continues to feel out of place here (though less so in this episode), but nevertheless the drama certainly is building up in a big way now that the kingdom has been seized by Arya and she's up to no good, all while there's something up about Touka.

So with that, I'll give it another episode or two before deciding on this show. It's in the middle ground area, so I'll wait and see before deciding which direction I want to go.

Comment

Episode 3

He's strong, but not strong enough.

Thanks to Tom, he was able to get Il out of Touko's body, but now she's involved in this war, while Seigi totally loses it when he unleashed his void tattoo. Seeing that he relies on throws to win that he undergoes some heavy duty training to get stronger. In the meantime, it looks like Il isn't all that bad of a girl seeing that she took care of that injured cat, but now she's after Lisa, who is one of Izzy's close allies. It will be interesting to see what all of these kingdom people are all about, but in the meantime Seigi has a lot of training to do so that he doesn't become too reliant on that tattoo.

So with that, I'll give it one more episode before making a decision on this show.

Comment

Episode 4

No wall is going to stop them.

Il targets Lisa, and she's quite deadly in combat as she showed there in kidnapping Lisa, who the Kingdom wants to operate on. Luckily, Izzy came across her cell phone that had recorded the talk during the fight and know that she is about to be shipped off to the Kingdom. That was just brutal, and things have gotten so bad that Tom went as far as to keep Seigi locked away. But of course, handcuffs aren't going to stop him, and that trap door just needs to be swallowed by the void, and Seigi is off to battle again. Things are now all fired up now that the enemy has drawn blood, and we shall see how Seigi handles his battle against Il and Lurker.

At this time, I'm not sure which way I will go with this show as I have come to the end of the trial period. It currently is one of the bubble shows that I'm having a hard time trying to sort through for this season.

Comment

Episode 5

The choice is his.

That fight ended pretty quickly with Seigi using his void power to cause the ground to collapse to beat Il without hurting anybody. But all of that funny stuff that happened afterward was both silly and out of place. That Rin Tohsaka look-alike sure didn't waste any time getting to Seigi wanting a piece of his affection and allegiance, and she totally overwhelmed Touko with that table tennis match. So pretty much, Seigi has to pick a side in order to end the fighting, but before that, B.B. has taken him hostage and more fireworks are about to go off. I figured that a Seigi would start to build a harem here, and now it looks like Arya and Il want in.

So I decided that since I had enough room to give this show an extended trial period that I did so, and after the next episode, I will decided whether or not to stick with it. The action has been great, the story has lots of intrigue, but the one big flaw about this show is the humor that just feels out of place, and in this episode that was on full display.

Comment

Re: Episode 5

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
                  The choice is his.

That fight ended pretty quickly with Seigi using his void power to cause the ground to collapse to beat Il without hurting anybody. But all of that funny stuff that happened afterward was both silly and out of place. That Rin Tohsaka look-alike sure didn't waste any time getting to Seigi wanting a piece of his affection and allegiance, and she totally overwhelmed Touko with that table tennis match. So pretty much, Seigi has to pick a side in order to end the fighting, but before that, B.B. has taken him hostage and more fireworks are about to go off. I figured that a Seigi would start to build a harem here, and now it looks like Arya and Il want in.

So I decided that since I had enough room to give this show an extended trial period that I did so, and after the next episode, I will decided whether or not to stick with it. The action has been great, the story has lots of intrigue, but the one big flaw about this show is the humor that just feels out of place, and in this episode that was on full display.
                  Agreed. An absolute bloodbath in the first-half, with slapstick and silly humor in the 2nd half. The girl feeling up Touko is the same girl who did a coup d'état, killing her parents, and ordering the slaughter of people throughout. Is she this misdirection, with us not seeing her side yet, or does she want to stop fighting around the world the way Hitler did?

There are shows that can mix violence and humor together and have them mesh well. So far, this isn't one of them, and I doubt it ever will. This show has felt "off" for me from the get go, and it's just increased.
                  My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
                  1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
                  2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
                  3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

Episode 6

Rewrite the world, or don't.

The truth is finally revealed about not-Rin's plan as she intends to rewrite the world using the four ruins with two of them in their homeland in India, one in Japan, and one in the Grand Canyon, and having entered the ruins in Japan, that means only the one in America stands in the way of fulfilling her objective. In the meantime, BB knows about Seigi since he's a comrade of Wiseman, the guy who gave Seigi his tattoo, and he's on a mission to stop Arya's plan starting with the lab where subjects are being used to for experiments of some sort of tattoo canceling mechanism. That was a much better episode where at the very least things were pretty focused and not all over the place.

So with that, the extended trial period has ended and at the moment, it's one of three shows in the running for the last spot or two. Coming into this week it's at the bottom, and at this time I'm evaluating to see what I want to do.

Comment

Episodes 7-12

The trainwreck finally comes to an end...with the promise of more train-wreckery to come (one believes, and fervently hopes, in the manga and /or light novels only, not in another season of this crap).

To all who dropped this series: Congratulations! You chose wisely.

There is an ultimate, perfect description for this series, which I wish I'd thought of first, due to it's eloquent, sincere and truthful accuracy of this series, courtesy of SirDoug on the the CR forums:

What a garbage ending to a trash series. I've seen skid marks in my underwear make more sense and tell a better story.
                      That...that was such beautiful sentence.

This series has inappropriate humor at the worst times. This whole show is confusing, stupid, racist and just blah all over.

What happens? BB shows how awesome he is, Seigi becomes a big fan. Childhood friend Touko insists he take her with him on any missions, despite having no combat abilities. Naturally, after learning Princess Arya has discovered the ruins in Japan, she goes along. The result: Disaster, with more flags flying than you can count. Col. Sanders runs into the vice-captain of Brahman, and loses an arm, both legs and his eyes. Izzy loses an arm, Seigi gets pwned. BB comes along to save them, gets Cal to admit that she's in love with him (seriously, we've seen this woman and her maid army kill and mutilate people and we've got a girly confession moment right out of a middle-school rom-com...F***ing stupid!) and then gets eaten by Seigi's source. Oh, and Touko, who runs back in thinking it's over? She gets eaten by loli girl Il, who Arya transformed into a massive sabertooth cat beast. Totally useless character.

Seigi, with the help of Wiseman, is able to access BB's memories, and we see that he defected from the US to the Kingdom, and tried to find out what was going on with the tattoos, with the help of a Sealed who is the King's gay lover. Turns out the king and Queen aren't Arya's parents; she's the result of cruel and murderous scientific experiments to be able to utilize the tattoos, and she has dozens, perhaps hundreds of clone sisters. Yep, Arya wants to become god and rewrite humanity and the world through the power of the tattoos. She wants to kill everyone to save the planet.

And then we have a time skip, with Seigi getting all powerful and cool, and a grand showdown over possession of the American ruins in the Grand Canyon, where after multiple bad things happening, Seigi and Izzy emerge victorious. We then get an after credits montage for what apparently happens in the future, either for a future series, but more likely advertising the source material.

Now, there's a problem with what I've stated in the past few descriptive paragraphs: It might sound like it makes sense. Trust me, these episodes don't make any sense whatsoever. This series is one of the worst I've ever seen. There are a few fun moments here and there (after the time skip we're introduced to a new team member, who before he heads off on the Grand Canyon mission proposes to his cosplay girlfriend and then proceeds to trigger about every possible death flag out there; if the whole series had gone that route, we might have had success, but this show just doesn't know when to use its humor or how to use it, save for this one instance and character), and some of the action scenes aren't bad, but I hated the graphics for the most part, the plot was a sewer of stupidity and there was absolutely no connection with MC Seigi. Horrible MC.

Avoid this anime like the plague...unless you're a masochist, though even there, be careful, as this still might be too much for you.
                      Grade: F
                      My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
                      1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
                      2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
                      3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                      Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                      Widgets Magazine
                      Working...
                      X