X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Summer 2016] Heroic Legend of Arslan: Dust Storm Dance Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    アルスラーン戦記 風塵乱舞

Arslan's quest to claim the throne that was seized by his cousin continues as he leads his newly formed army back to the capital. But he will soon find out that things aren't exactly what he thought they were and that an even bigger threat is waiting for him and his party.

Airs: Sunday, July 3

Studio: Liden Films

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Funimation

Season 1 Thread

After managing to get past the battles concerning the royal successor for Sindhura, Arslan and company made their triumphal return to Pars to find Hilmes the brave general with the silver mask standing in their way. And by the time they somehow get Hilmes to stand down and they can be on their way to the capital once again, an even larger threat was fast approaching the land of Pars.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Violet Evergarden of KyoAni's Violet Evergarden
    Watching: Kyo Kara Maoh, Pokemon Sun and Moon, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, FRB, KYB, FGN, MIX, FIL
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Here comes a new enemy.

The Turan army has invaded Pars, but Arslan and his newly formed army arrive just in time to defeat the enemy and force them to retreat. Meanwhile, Hilmes is after a sacred sword that is the proof of the king, and Gieve is there to steal it away. But through the fight, it ends up with another army that was sent by Bodin. Meanwhile back at the capital, the streets are deserted as Estelle finds out, and Andragoras breaks free of his shackles to take back the throne.

Things pick up right where the first season left off, though I wasn't expecting it to begin with the invasion of a foreign army right off the bat seeing that the quest to defeat Hilmes is still going on. Nevertheless, it's great to see Arslan and company again, and Narsus continues to amaze me with his battle strategy that always works like a charm. But now there is a big question lingering regarding Arslan's family seeing that Andragoras might not really be his father. There's a whole lot of intrigue going on, and I look forward to seeing what the deal is.
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

So Turan attacks Peshawar while Arslan was about to attack Ecbatana which forces them to return back to where they set off from. It was expected that more neighbors would take advantage of Lusitania's attack and here Turan just ruined Arslan's plans to take back Ecbatana.

Elsewhere, Gieve, Hermes, and Bodin are vying for some legendary sword which will help in their accession to the throne. Three parties fighting for one object – two of them battle it out and the third makes away with the prize.

And Andragoras is one hell of a monster. He breaks free just when Guiscard arrives to question him about Hermes. Guiscard is taken hostage and Andragoras sits on the throne. And now we're about to get some stuff about Arslan. Arslan is Tahamine's child and not Andragoras' which means that Arslan isn't of royal blood. Which means that Hermes is more deserving than Arslan between the two. But that probably wouldn't stop Arslan from trying to take the throne himself.

Also, the new outfits shown in the OP and ED are quite good (save for Arslan's shorts), especially Farangis and Alfreed's.
      My ReviewsMy MAL ProfileMy Anime List

Comment

Episode 2

Deceive and conquer.

The battle is on at Peshawar between Arslan's army and the Turan army. Gieve comes back and rejoins the army with the news about the sacred sword falling into enemy hands as well as to help out Arslan at a critical time. Narsus tricked the Turan army into attacking themselves and after suffering heavy losses, the army retreats. In comes Andragoras and he effectively sends Arslan into exile by assigning him to gather a large army before returning.

Once again, Narsus comes through with his genius battle tactics, and it's great to have Gieve back in the party after he left. Certainly, Narsus never fails to amaze me at the way he comes up with such strategies. But it looks like Turan is not done yet seeing that Ilterish is out for revenge, and then there's Andragoras that is up to no good there with the way he is treating Arslan ever since he broke out of prison. That was great, and I wonder what Arslan will do next now that his father is telling him to hit the road.

Comment

Re: Episode 1

Hermes is Hilmes now. Wonder why that is.
          My Top Anime | Manga
          My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
          My FP Reviews | Twitter
          FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Re: Episode 2

Well damn. Andragoras isn't letting Arslan act like a king so easily. I guess he'll be the big force to somehow overcome for now, which is interesting to think about since nobody on Arslan's team is going to want to stand up to him.
            My Top Anime | Manga
            My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
            My FP Reviews | Twitter
            FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Re: Episode 2

Turan comes back for more and Narsus's plan defeats them. Gieve gives his report that Bodin's men took away the legendary sword which is a problem since neither potential heirs have it.

Andoragoras returns to Peshawar and exiles Arslan for leading an army despite the king still being alive. The reason given on the surface is pretty stupid since obviously the king is imprisoned and can't lead an army so the crown prince becomes the de facto army commander. And it is Andoragoras's fault since he didn't listen to his army generals when he was warned and ended up getting caught. If he had listened back then he wouldn't have been caught and he would be leading the army instead. But that isn't the real reason anyway. Looking at things one way, Andoragoras fears that Arslan might overthrow him and take the throne since by the looks of it, he and his men were working to put Arslan on the throne. This is probably what Daryun, Narsus, etc. would be believing. But looking at things in another way, he is telling Arslan to come back and defeat me and conquer this land. Things might end with a battle between Arslan and Andoragoras. Daryun will probably be kicked out for siding with the exiled kid and Narsus was disliked by Andoragoras anyway. The other guys, Kubard and the other generals, will have to make the decision whether to side with their king or their crown prince who has just been exiled. Now Arslan will have to start anew while Andoragoras takes away the army Arslan made.

Comment

Episode 3

He's not doing this alone.

As Hilmes prepares to take the throne from Andragoras, his backstory is explained as he sends his love interest Irina to some place safe. Hilmes fell in love with Irina not long after his face was burned leaving him blind in one eye, and as it turns out Irina is blind. He promised to become king, but when Andragoras seized the throne, that's when he transformed into the cold-hearted bastard he is thanks to someone telling him to fulfill his destiny. Back in the present, now only did Andragoras effectively banish Arslan by ordering him to gather 50k soldiers, but he won't let his retainers join him. But they escape the castle to join him.

That was some pretty interesting insight on Hilmes and it makes me wonder if he is the lesser of two evils between him and Andragoras seeing that Andragoras is making such unreasonable demands. It seems to me that Hilmes has a gentle side and his coldhearted side only came out because of his anger towards Andragoras and now that Andragoras is turning on Arslan that it will be interesting to see what happens when the cousins meet again. But in the meantime, Arslan is now on a journey.

Comment

Re: Episode 3

So Hilmes escaped to the kingdom of Maryam after being saved. The king saved him for his own purposes. There Hilmes meets the princess of Maryam, Irina, a blind girl. He falls in love with her and stuff. But Lusitania invades and the selfish a-hole of a king surrenders and even sells off his freakin daughter. How big of a selfish scumbag is that king? Good thing Hilmes killed him.

The purpose of mentioning Maryam, a kingdom which no longer exists, is that Bodin is planning on restoring that place. He wants to distance himself from Innocentus and Hilmes. Or he wants to give Pars another pain in the ass in the form of a fourth enemy. And Maryam was across the sea which means that Arslan will be facing them since his destination is a port city.

As expected, everyone is believing that the story about Arslan not being of royal blood is true and he's being kicked out to prevent someone not of royal blood from ascending the throne. Andoragoras sure is harsh for not letting Narsus or Daryun accompany Arslan. And he even hates Narsus. He has Kishward swear loyalty to him again and probably does the same with Kubard and the other generals. Gieve, Farangis, Alfreed and Elam have no obligation to follow Andoragoras since they're not soldiers who have sworn loyalty to the king, and Jaswant isn't even a citizen of Pars so he's free to do whatever. The problem lies with Narsus and Daryun since they were explicitly ordered by the king to not accompany Arslan. But Andoragoras probably expected them to run off to Arslan anyway. But if Andoragoras really is planning on having Arslan take Pars for himself with his own army, then there won't be any trouble for Daryun and Narsus.

And now we'll get a change in outfits as they go to meet Narsus's distant relative who will also probably be a strategist like Narsus or a leader type figure because he doesn't look like a fighter based on the opening sequence at least.

Comment

Re: Episode 3

As we learn more to depict Hilmes as less of a villain, Andragoras does everything in his power to solidify himself as one. I imagine this little exile will be a great learning experience for Arslan, who will have to face the facts regarding who his real enemies are. Fortunately, he has gained plenty of great allies up to now, so he's not left on his own, although it won't be easy to get Hilmes to come around whenever that may happen. There are only a few episodes in this season, after all, and there's no telling if or when we'll get more.
                    My Top Anime | Manga
                    My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                    My FP Reviews | Twitter
                    FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 4

Off to sea.

Arslan begins his quest to gather up 50k soldiers under the king's orders, and his first stop is the port city of Gilan, where Alfarid meets an old acquaintance of her's. Then they meet with Shagad, and learn that the city is so prosperous because of slaves, and that pirates are attacking the city. A pirate ship is attacking a cargo ship, so Daryun and company spring into action to take down that ship and send the pirates away.

And so, a new adventure begins, and that was a solid way to begin it there. Shagad seems to be a guy they can trust, but there's something that just isn't right about that guy seeing that he sees slaves as being essential to everything. It looks like Graze will be joining Arslan's army based on the ending, so I'm expecting to see that happen. Anyway, things are about to get interesting.

Comment

Re: Episode 4

I like how nobody can believe that Narsus could possibly have an actual friend. If he wasn't so willing to use slaves for his own gain, he'd be a pretty good guy. We'll see how that goes. I guess Graze will be the simpler and more agreeable of them for the immediate future.
                        My Top Anime | Manga
                        My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                        My FP Reviews | Twitter
                        FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Re: Episode 4

So they go to to Gilan to get an army. There they meet Shagad who is an old friend of Narsus. But this guy looks like he might become a bit hostile. Arslan's announcement that he'll abolish slavery hasn't been well received in this city because the merchants are heavily dependant on slaves to have their merchandise moved and all that. No slaves would be problematic for them as there won't be many people available to do all the hard work. And Shagad has slaves himself despite having promised to end slavery with Narsus. He did say that he'll do whatever he can to help Arslan, but he looks way too suspicious.

And that viceroy lol. What a guy. Daryun, Gieve, Farangis help save a merchant ship from pirates to help make them famous so that people will trust them more and it will eventually help them in gaining followers and an army. The viceroy is useless right now because of pirates which really is a questionable excuse. Shagad might turn against Arslan. So Arslan will have to get followers some other way. Also, the Zot clan guy with that Maryam princess is Alfreed's aniki.

Comment

Episode 5

Getting back what was stolen.

Needing to find a way to recruit 50k soldiers, Arslan begins by reaching out to Graze and to try and do something about Gilan. They figure out that Pelgius had been embezzling tax money from the citizens using the chaos of war to his advantage, and to get proof Farangis is sent out to seduce the viceroy while Gieve finds the evidence. Then they try and figure out how the pirates know when to strike, and as it turns out Shagad is in cahoots with them. Narsus comes up with the strategy to utilize the currents and send bombs floating towards the pirate ships, while Daryun and Graze take care of the rest.

I knew that something was up about Shagad, and he is quite the sneaky bastard there feeding info to the pirates and taking advantage of a bad situation like that. That as just brilliant for Farangis to bring that viceroy to justice using her sex appeal, while Graze has already made a strong impression. Anything is possible when Narsus is the one coming up with the strategy, and it was golden once again. Next time, Etoile is in big trouble as she's facing execution.

Comment

Re: Episode 5

Arslan gains the help of an honest looking Graze who offers to fund his army and also offers to ask other merchants. Arslan uses his help to infiltrate the palace to find proof of the viceroy eating tax money. And he gets that proof and kicks out that fat guy putting the city under his rule temporarily. And he gives back the excess money to the citizens to show that they're different from that fatty which will be beneficial if they want to get the public's help at some point.

And Shagad couldn't have become more suspicious even if he wanted to when Narsus was talking about someone leaking information to the pirates. He should have shut up instead of continuing to blabber in support of the information leaker. His blabbering did show how many merchants possibly think in this city. There are the good oddballs like Graze, but then there are people like Shagad.

Narsus anticipated a reaction from the pirates after their insulting defeat in Graze's ship at Daryun's hands. And since the conditions were pretty good too he had mobilized the local army and other merchants to get ready for whenever they attack. And the plan went perfectly as the pirates were defeated and then subsequently captured.

And someone either attempted to kill the fat king or killed the fat king. And that "someone" is most likely Guiscard doing it to take the throne. And Etoile has been accused of it. And is that blind princess being sacrificed or something? Or is she being used to lure in Hilmes?

I'm really liking the power struggle here. Two kings from different countries vying for power, then we have two brothers within Lusitania fighting (it's mostly Guiscard doing the fighting, but anyway), then we have Andoragoras and Arslan, and Hilmes and Andoragoras. They're all aiming for the throne to rule Pars. That's pretty coolly done.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X