X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Summer 2016] The Morose Mononokean Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    不機嫌なモノノケ庵

A show about a morose guy who guides youkai that wander in this world into the next.

Airs: Sunday, July 3

Studio: Pierrot Plus

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

Ashiya has spent the first seven days of high school stuck in the infirmary because of a youkai attaching itself to him. He ends up asking the owner of a small tea room called the "Mononokean" for help. This is a tale involving the very morose owner of Mononokean guiding the youkai that happened to wander into this world go to the next world.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Main, Ascendance of a Bookworm
    Watching: Gundam 00, Dorohedoro, Medaka Box, Golden Wind
    Simulcasts: HZG, DKD, FRB, KGY, TOA-R, OGF, 8NT, ART, BNA, GLP. KKG, LSN, SKT, SBA, YFM, TOG, WLN, A3A, PCR, SHV
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Get off my back.

It all starts with Hanae stepping on what he thought was a plushie a kid dropped. But it turns out that this fuzzball is a yokai that has been starved for attention and it latches on to Hanae's back, causing him to collapse in front of the school. Luckily he manages to find the exorcist Abeno to take care of the problem and grows quite attached to it before saying farewell. But it comes at a cost and as such he is working for Abeno, who is also in the same class as him. Not to mention, with a girl's name in Hanae that he's being made fun of. That was a pretty nice start to this show as I certainly like what I am seeing so far. It will be interesting to see how the chemistry develops between Hanae and Abeno seeing that those two don't exactly see eye-to-eye with each other at the moment.
    Simulcasts: HZG, DKD, FRB, KGY, TOA-R, OGF, 8NT, ART, BNA, GLP. KKG, LSN, SKT, SBA, YFM, TOG, WLN, A3A, PCR, SHV
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

Another show that isn't grabbing, especially the characters who kind of have to do for this kind of show.
      My Top Anime | Manga
      My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
      My FP Reviews | Twitter
      FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 2

Following like ants.

Ashiya's first job working for Abeno deals with a bunch of shrubby yokai seeing that even though Abeno told Ashiya not to get involved, he just couldn't let things be with a girl's leg pinned down. Seeing that there are so many of them and that Abeno can open the gate only twice a day that they need to get everybody at once by drawing out the leader. It turns out that the leader is infected with a parasite, and while Abeno has the medicine, it's going to be painful. But in the end, the medicine was taken and everybody is back. That was decent enough even though it is pretty much a repeat of the first episode. Hopefully the other characters show up soon because this show won't make it if it continues down the yokai-of-the-week approach. I'll give it another episode or two before making a decision.

Comment

Episode 3

Never stop laughing.

Zenko is introduced here as Hanae has been given the assignment of fixing a problem with her father as he can't stop laughing, and to do that he has to cry. The sad story fails, but he manages to get Zenko to cry when they talk about taking over for their parents seeing that Zenko is not quite sure what she wants to do. By seeing Zenko's sad face, the mask comes off, and while Hanae completed the task, he gets chewed out by Abeno and now they take a trip to the underworld. The first half was pretty boring, but the second half was nice to watch seeing that Zenko is cute when she was crying.

So with that, I guess I'll give it one more episode seeing that a bunch of new characters are being introduced, but this show is on the outside looking in as it hasn't done anything to stand out while Sundays are pretty crowded already.

Comment

Episode 4

Welcome to the yokai world.

Hanae decides to make a visit to the yokai world to see that fuzzball again, so together with Abeno they travel to the Underworld. He was supposed to follow Abeno's instructions, but after spotting that fuzzball apparently bleeding that he couldn't help it. But he ends up getting himself into quite a lot of trouble as that fuzzball is a thief and not the same yokai he met, and he is accused of stealing a fruit and transforming into a human to hide. There's a reason why he was supposed to follow Abeno's rules, and look at where it got him. The first half was pretty boring as all that happened is that Hanae manned up to make the trip. But the second half is the best part of this series so far. And Shizuku is really cute.

So with that, the trial period has ended, but with a strong second half to this episode that I think that this show will get at least one more episode on the extended trial plan to see through this incident through to the end. So while it still is on the chopping block, I'm not ready to cut it just yet.

Comment

Episode 5

He's still on the job.

That capybara yokai sure does have serious anger management issues there as he went way too far in pursuing the thief (and the wrong one at that) by injuring that innocent fuzzball, but Abeno was there to know about it. So Abeno takes Ashiya to the Legislator to allow him to keep his job as his assistant despite being a human, and after a heartfelt plea by Ashiya wanting to devote his life to helping yokai out, the Legislator amended the law, and now he is in it for the long run. That was a decent way to settle things.

So with that, it remains on the bubble for now as it got an extended trial period, but it still remains on the chopping block. Inconsistency is where this show runs into problems, but even so I have been enjoying it.

Comment

Episode 6

What's lost has been found.

It's back to the real world where Ashiya has a job to find a ring that belongs to an old lady by the request of some eel yokai named Manjiro. As it turns out, Manjiro is the spirit of her husband who had passed away some time ago and the ring was lost. That was some pretty awkward exchanges there when Ashiya was trying to give the ring back, but her mood shifted just like that. That eel yokai sure is weird. Next time, the fox yokai from the opening makes his appearance.

So with that, the extended trial period for this show is over, and watching the next episode means adding it to my watchlist. I have a decision to make, and with the way things are unfolding, I am looking at selecting at most two of three between this show, Handa-kun, and Taboo Tattoo, and if I had to make a decision at the moment, this show would be the last show in. So far, I have been enjoying the show, but I am put off by the mediocre animation and the bad pacing where the episodes tend to have a slow and lethargic first half before getting to the good parts of this show. Anyway, I'll have to wait and see how it stacks up before making a decision.

Comment

Episode 7

He can run, but he can't hide.

Here comes the fox yokai Yahiko and he just wants to play hide and seek. By leaving a mark on Zenko's arm that no ordinary person can see, Ashiya and Abeno end up playing. Yahiko hides himself pretty well since he can transform, but Abeno can figure out where he is. Yahiko disguises himself as Abeno, but forget about one crucial fact about him by calling Ashiya his servant instead of employee. But the ending there is just full of intrigue as Abeno began working at the age of 7 and apparently, he killed his master Aoi. It will be interesting to see what the deal with all that is. Yahiko is such a cute kid, but he's also scary when he's upset.

So having watched beyond the extended trial period, this show has made it as the final show on my watchlist. It looked like it was quickly headed to the drop zone after a lackluster beginning, but the show has gotten much better with these past few episodes as the new characters are the main reason why I wanted to stick around.

Comment

Episode 8

Out of the shell.

And in the end, Abeno killing Aoi to become the Master was just a rumor as quite frankly, he saw the title of Master being more of a burden than anything. So the game has ended and Zenko's curse mark has been lifted. Meanwhile, Ashiya stumbles upon another yokai that he met at the same spot he met Fuzzy in the form of a bird named Jomatsu, and he's searching for his lover, the princess Anmo. She happens to be cooped up in an egg, and after a heated exchange between Ashiya and Jomatsu, she comes out. And in the end, the love Jomatsu he was talking about was not romantic, but one for flying together. That was pretty silly how all of that went down between those birds, and I wonder just who it was that killed Aoi seeing that whoever it is has some sort of nasty history with Abeno.

Comment

Episode 9

There are some things science can't explain.

The next job involves exorcising a hedgehog yokai from a rich girl's room, and her mother is not exactly pleased that her daughter is spending her money on something as frivolous as that which goes against the laws of science. Things were going well until the mother had to butt in and demand an explanation from Ashiya, which of course he has no answer to, and that meant the girl was all alone with her curiosity getting the best of her opening that door. That yokai cause an earthquake at the house, but in the end Ashiya and the fuzzball were able to make peace with it. That mother really gets on my nerves as she's way too demanding to the point where all this happens when it could have gone much more smoothly. Next up is Yahiko as Zenko sees something wrong with him.

Comment

Episode 10

Stuck in the mud.

It turns out that Yahiko grew large, but he was not the character of focus in this episode as he was fed potatoes that smelled really bad, and that was all traced to a smoky mud pit caused by Nobou, a scarecrow yokai who had been stuck there and unable to get out. As it turns out, he caused this mess himself as he saw his scarecrow friend burn to a crisp and did nothing about it, and the tears from crying over his friend is what created this wasteland. But thanks to Abeno and Ashiya, he finally got over it and out so that he can be exorcised. While I was hoping that it would be about Yahiko, it ends up being about that scarecrow, and it's all good.

Comment

Episode 11

Now you see them, now you don't.

Ashiya is back to being a normal human who can't see yokai after his ability to see them was given up to help a seal yokai get her eye sight back, and he realizes just how much that fuzzball means to him. And on top of that seeing that his loss of supernatural sight was supposed to be temporary, he's about to get fired as soon as Abeno finds a replacement, leaving him scrambling for a job to pay off his massive debt. This was supposed to be relief in a sense, but everything is falling apart for Ashiya. That was quite a huge mood shift from the previous episodes, and now Abeno is speaking with the Legislator about something important. Let's see how Ashiya makes it through this as a lot will depend on this conversation Abeno is having.

Comment

Episode 12

Not seeing is believing.

While Abeno made the decision to fire Ashiya because he can't see yokai anymore, the yokais are rallying and throwing their support for him. That was nice to see everybody getting together letting Abeno know that they won't let things stand the way they are. So Abeno sees Tomori to learn the reason why Ashiya's vision hasn't come back, and it's because he subconsciously still thinks about the request. Zenko sure was pretty helpful there in getting Ashiya to feel better about himself seeing that her father was about to make Ashiya do something he doesn't want any part of. One more episode left as Ashiya attempts to get his vision back.

Comment

Episode 13 (Finale)

All it takes is a scare.

Ashiya has his yokai vision back at last, and to make it happen he just had to get scared a bit. That's exactly what happens when Ashiya ordered Yahiko to get him to feel the same way he did back when he first met the fuzzball, and he went around pulling pranks with that skull. So with that, everything is back to normal and Ashiya is back on the job. That was great to see all the yokai he helped gathered around at the temple to greet Ashiya as everybody had him in their minds. It ends with Ashiya playing with the fuzzball on the roof, and that was a cute moment there. That was a predictable way to end this, but nevertheless it couldn't have ended any other way as the yokai mean so much to Ashiya that even when he can't see them, they are on his mind.

Overall, this show ended up being a pretty fun show once all of the setup and stuff at the beginning is out of the way. The beginning is very bland that had me nearly convinced that this show wasn't going to be worthwhile. But once the new characters get introduced, that's when the show gets more interesting and entertaining. So to sum things up, the great things about this show are the interesting characters (especially Zenko and Yahiko), the humor, and the psychological development that both humans and yokai undergo in order to form friendships across worlds, while the not-so-great things are the animation quality and the way the story flows as there would often be long breaks where nothing happens (as an example, the first half of episode 4 was spent mostly on that conversation about how to behave in the yokai world and that way too long than it should have been). In all, it was very satisfying, but it took awhile for me to get into this show.

MAL Rating: *******---

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X