X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Summer 2016] Rewrite Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    リライト

A Key Visual production about a guy who can rewrite his body to make himself stronger, faster, or whatever.

Airs: Saturday, July 2

Studio: 8-Bit

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

Kazamatsuri, a modern, well-developed city renowned for its burgeoning greenery and rich Japanese culture, is home to Kotarou Tennouji, a high schooler least privy to the place's shared values. Content to fill his pockets with frivolity, the proud and nosey boy whiles away his time pestering the self-proclaimed delinquent Haruhiko, and indulging in his amorous feelings toward the oddball Kotori.

Equipped with the superhuman ability to permanently rewrite any part of his body to multiply his strength or speed, Kotarou is naturally drawn to the supernatural. One special meeting with the lone member and president of the Occult Research Club, the "Witch" Akane Senri, leads to Kotarou reviving the Occult Club by recruiting Kotori and three other members: the clumsy transfer student Chihaya, the strict class representative Lucia, and the unassuming Shizuru. As Kotarou unveils hidden secrets of each member of the Occult Club through their shared adventures, he will inevitably encounter a fate that only he might be able to rewrite.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Nene Yoshiro, Toilet-bound Hanako-kun
    Watching: Luck & Logic, Soul Link, Happiness, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FGO, MHA, MJN, CHF, HIQ, TOA-R, ISQ, YUC, YKN, IIV, EIZ, SET, IBG, SML, OBD, JSH, RKO, SRW, PMM, INS
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

It is written.

That was a nice way to start this show off with a double length episode, and it needed that seeing that there are lots of characters to introduce. Even so, it still went too fast. Anyway, the characters are already making a nice impression as I have come to expect for a Key adaptation here. But then there's this mysterious girl that keeps on biting him while he is asleep, and is now telling him to go somewhere through a series of instructions as he gets attacked by a monster, all while the girl is attached to that can of Key coffee. There's a lot that needs to be sorted out here, and Kotarou is in the middle of some supernatural mess. Now that introductions are out of the way (save for that mysterious cutie who keeps on pestering Kotarou) that the stage is set for big things to go down.
    Last edited by Buckeye; 07-03-2016, 09:47 AM.
    Simulcasts: FGO, MHA, MJN, CHF, HIQ, TOA-R, ISQ, YUC, YKN, IIV, EIZ, SET, IBG, SML, OBD, JSH, RKO, SRW, PMM, INS
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

So that's what a Saitou Chiwa Key heroine sounds like. Interesting.

Suddenly see random fujoshi in the foreground at one point. But then it makes sense as they were just about to get some more shipping material to react to. Haha... Those uniforms are so danged cute. Cute on the mains, and cute on random background characters.

Makoto Mk.2... er, Chihaya has a different uniform... though it seems she is a classmate too. She's just waiting on hers. Wonder if we'll ever see her in it.

Suzuki gets his name confused with the other incredibly common Japanese family names. Wonder how many Kotarou will go through.

Curious to see what's up with our cute vampire/spirit/??? girl stalking Kotarou at night. She wasn't caring much about the monster, but once she loses her Key coffee, that's when she has to get serious...

Comment

Koutaro is a fun guy. He was messing with the Yoshino, pissed him off, and then was like "why u mad bro?" lol. Why wouldn't he be mad?

So Koutaro is a mysterious guy. He has this ability to change his body strength according his needs which allows him to jump around from building to building or gives him super strength etc. The newspaper girl's notes on him made him even more mysterious. Lol mysterious loli enters his room and starts eating him. Kotori was cute. Ohtori's voice acting didn't feel up to the mark here. Ohtori and Kotori are related through the occult club. And Kotori is probably related to the witch. She did know that there was supposed to be a light switch over there with the weird sound switches. And that ribbon loli was weird, eating Koutaro and all.

They've gotten the introductions good I guess. Lol it started off with creation of the world to dinosaurs to humans first coming to the making of this harem. The visuals were nice too. The ribbon loli is a bit interesting. The supernatural part where Koutaro was running away from the loli and then ending up in some weird place with the chibis was interesting. Gonna give it some more episodes. At least.
        Last edited by Yamada2; 07-03-2016, 08:59 AM.
        My ReviewsMy MAL ProfileMy Anime List

Comment

Ah, wasn't expecting an hour-long premiere. I thought that might be a good thing, since Key shows (visual novel adaptations, anyway) take a while to get anywhere, but it turns out this wasn't going anywhere I wanted, at least in this hour. It really kills me that these huge-name visual novels keep having such poor adaptations. And meanwhile, KyoAni's Key adaptation team is busy with adaptations of lousy source material. Blah. At least KyoAni is finally going back to adapting something truly great, albeit not with their top staff and only as a movie.

Anyway, I'm sure it had some potential, but I don't have the time to keep it around just for that hope like I did with Little Busters!, and I think I even liked that more in the beginning.
          My Top Anime | Manga
          My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
          My FP Reviews | Twitter
          FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

I really, really, really wanted to like this. I wanted to like this so bad! I love Key! But oh my gosh, it was SO long. I kinda want to know where it's going, but I also still feel so tired from watching it that I don't want to watch any more.

Comment

Episode 2

See you in my dreams.

So that girl at the end is the occult club president Akane, and he wants Kotarou to join and revive a club that is in need of members. He is able to recruit several girls that he met in the first episode, including the class rep Lucia, who has a pretty mean uppercut that would give Kyou a great fight after feeding her that spicy parfait. And another girl appears, albeit only in his dreams in Tomoko. That was very funny seeing Kotarou act all perverted and everything. I should have expected this seeing that Key shows end to be funny to lighten up the mood before the serious stuff hits like a ton of bricks.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

So Senri Akane is the witch-senpai and Koutaro asks her to use her witch powers to save him from the ribbon loli who eats him at night. Akane doesn't believe that there's such a loli and that there's some weird gigantic monster and that there's little palm sized girls with wings. Despite being in the Occult Research Club, she doesn't really believe in superpowers and other supernatural stuff. Then why the hell is it the Occult Research Club when you don't even believe in that stuff and don't want to research it either? Anyway, Koutaro takes on a mission to show proof of supernatural mumbo-jumbo and he's doing it all for the boobs. Would be pretty cool if he ends up winning and then does obscene stuff to her as part of the deal lol. And too help Kotarou in his mission to get his hands on some nice oppai, he gathers his harem. And now with the harem assembled, he will now embark on his mission. He should simply just show Akane his own rewrite power and get those boobs. That would be pretty effective. He has gathered all the misfits he knows in one place except for Yoshino. Poor guy must be feeling lonely. Lol Koutaro's prank on him backfired and he had to eat it all up to prevent the class rep from getting engulfed in flames even though she wasn't feeling the spiciness at all.

Comment

Episode 3

A hunting for UMAs they go.

That was a pretty silly episode there with all of the UMA talk and that hunt there where they run into an UMA hunter, and Kotarou gets his ass kicked by Lucia once again for not putting aluminum and steel cans in their proper recycling basket. This episode was mostly about Shizuru as the eyepatch covers a yellow eye, which is something she doesn't want to show to just anybody, and she frequently dines out at a food cart that Kotarou ends up at after getting attacked by a wolf and saved by an antique shop owner. While I would like to get on with the stuff about that mysterious girl, it just wouldn't be a Key show without those lighthearted moments at the beginning.

Comment

Re: Episode 3

Koutaro is such a ginormous bastard lol. He purposely said "Chihaya" in front of Sakuya even though it pisses him off. And then he starts to tease the poor Yoshino. Nekoing leave that guy alone lol. And then he started to call Lucia Earth Rep after her little speech lol. That bastard. Fun guy.

Things were pretty confusing here. Some supernatural stuff ha happens whenever the ribbon loli appears. Some people show up, some's true selves are revealed (I think that was Sakuya who saved Koutaro), Koutaro even takes evasive action and gets hurt – but in the end, it all turns back to normal as if nothing happened at all. Only Koutaro remembers the events but he has no proof that said event even occurred. That's the weird part – why is everything turning back to normal? Koutaro even got himself a cut and that went back to normal. That's the part which needs answering. The old guys probably weren't computer gamers and could be one of those who know about the supernatural stuff going on. Eyepatch loli was also with those people so she could have also experienced that stuff. Akane could also have experienced that stuff. But the two could have been subjected to the effects of things being rewritten after they happen. These things are interesting but really confusing right now.

Comment

Re: Episode 3

I'm still iffy on this show. I like a lot of the humour but the whole thing is feeling a bit aimless right now. And I know that complaining about the harem aspects of a harem show is the dictionary definition of pointless, but I'm not super digging the dynamics of this particular harem. I'll continue to give it a while longer but making no promises to hang in until the bitter end.

Comment

Episode 4

If only she could return to those days.

Now, this is what Key shows are known for as all of those girls may appear to be normal and cheerful on the outside, but deep down inside they are hurting. In this episode, the focus is on Shizuru as she is a poor girl who once lived with a happy family, but then their house exploded one day. A piece of shrapnel gouged Shizuru's eye and it would be replaced by a golden one, leading her to being bullied at school. But worst of all, her parents would end up fighting, and all Shizuru wants is to return to the old days. With her power going out of control, they sort of do, but her parents don't remember her. That was just a sad story there, but nevertheless Kotarou is there to help her out and with that mp3 player, she has a better outlook on life.

So with that, I am going to lock this show into my watchlist.

Comment

Re: Episode 4

So Koutaro finds out that the dude he teases so much, is actually well known around town and has many followers. Koutaro is lucky Yoshino hasn't had his wolves sent after him. Lol when Koutaro found out that the intimidating one was a year junior to him. The dude who bumped into Koutaro said something interesting. Either he was one of Yoshino's boys and Yoshino has told some pretty messed up stuff about Koutaro, or that person knows something about Koutaro which is probably related to his big secret.

The ribbon loli returns lol. And right in the middle of class to start eating Koutaro. And Shizuru captures him before he can go to Akane for help. We get Shizuru's sad story told here and the rest will probably follow in pure typical harem VN adaptation style. Shizuru had an encounter with the supernatural which changed stuff for her. Her house was destroyed, her parents almost died, she lost an eye which surprisingly healed on its own and ended up a different color. A memory erasure power manifested in her and it went out to control when her parents got too much money after sending her to some special institutions. Her ability is more of a resetting power since it was also used on her eye and on Koutaro's scratch. But why was she denying that any supernatural thing could have happened to him? She did go to that institution which deals with supernatural stuff like what happens to Koutaro. And that old antique man is part of that group and isn't just an old guy into computer games. Maybe Shizuru resets things related to the supernatural after they happen on a large scale. Or there could be someone with similar abilities doing it. Or the supernatural stuff is programmed to be reset after happening or something.

And now we'll get the class rep's past. She probably has some problem with her touching anything. Touching something probably damages it beyond repair in some way which is why she is wearing gloves and didn't want to destroy those flowers because she would touch them while trying to get the ball.

And I think things are starting to make a little bit more sense here. But things in this episode felt off and somewhat fast. They were presented without any prior foreshadowing or hints or whatever.

Comment

Re: Episode 4

So this show is turning into "We started a club to find supernatural things, but it turns out that we didn't have to go far because all the members have supernatural powers."
                            Avatar: Shimarin from Laid Back Camo.

Comment

Episode 5

And the glass breaks.

After Shizuru was the main focus last time, it's onto Lucia as she has a secret herself as well. As it turns out, her real name is Haruka Asahi, and she's a child from an orphanage who can shatter glass when her persona is awaken. Kotarou has it all figured out and rewrote his body to accept Lucia and withstand her curse. There was no hint that she would have that personality within her seeing that she has always been acting all tough and almighty. Then there's that ending there with Shizuru and Lucia belonging to Guardian, an organization dedicated to saving the world as there's something that could trigger the end of it. That should be an interesting thing to keep an eye out for moving forward.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X