X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Summer 2016] First Love Monster Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    初恋モンスター

A romantic comedy about a girl who falls in love a boy who saved her from being bulldozed by a truck. But that boy is not exactly what he looks as he's actually in elementary school leading to a lot of quirkiness.

Airs: Saturday, July 2

Studio: Deen

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Funimation

Nikaido Kaho is a daughter of a rich family and her whole life everyone's been nice to her. When moving to her new high school dormitory, she almost gets hit by a truck but is saved by a boy. It's love at first sight for Kaho but when asking him his name, he tells her she's weird. Kaho is shocked since it's the first time anyone's ever said mean things to her. Soon enough, she finds out that the boy who saved her lives in the same dormitory and so she bravely confesses her love. The boy says his name is Kanade and agrees to go out with her. Unfortunately, the following day Kaho finds out that her first boyfriend is a 5th grader.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Latina, If It's For My Daughter, I'd Even Defeat a Demon Lord
    Watching: Princess Principal, Darling in the FranXX, Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, KYB, FRB, MIX, FIL, MTI, DUN, ALS, COP, DRS, IDD, FSN-LE, VLS, MMZ, GIV, HES, HDB, AKO, NHG, RST, SND, PKC
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Her boyfriend is a fifth grader?

That was a pretty decent start there, and the humor was pretty solid there. That is such an interesting couple there with a shy girl and a teen-looking elementary school kid, as well as all of his teen-looking friends. Certainly, the concept is really something having Kaho living with a bunch of bishonen who are actually younger than they look, and the results are that this could be a fun show or not. I'll give it another episode or two before deciding on this show. I kinda like it, but I'll see where this goes seeing that while they hit on some jokes, they missed on others like the whole wiener talk.
    Last edited by Buckeye; 07-02-2016, 05:00 PM.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Latina, If It's For My Daughter, I'd Even Defeat a Demon Lord
    Watching: Princess Principal, Darling in the FranXX, Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, KYB, FRB, MIX, FIL, MTI, DUN, ALS, COP, DRS, IDD, FSN-LE, VLS, MMZ, GIV, HES, HDB, AKO, NHG, RST, SND, PKC
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

Dang, those thighs... Kept looking at Kaho and wondering if this really was a reverse harem show as I thought it was going to be (and is). She quirkier than the usual lead of that kind of show too. But I guess she has to be, given how strange the premise of this is. So much that they're self-aware of it. Kaho is kept up all night thinking about all sorts of strange scenarios we might see in another anime and of course she never hits on it.

There's somehow more than one of these primary school bishounen, which makes it seem even more weirder than something like Recorder and Randoseru when you see them lined up next to the rest of the class. And they all act their age. I wonder if we'll have problems with misunderstanding authorities here, but it doesn't seem like it. The teachers just seem to treat them as ordinary rowdy kids.

Comment

She makes great faces, so it has that going for it. You know having one guy tall for his age makes it amusing, but after they revealed multiple of them, I can't help but wonder if this show is making fun of anime with those girls who are super developed at 10,

In any case, aside from "I'm tall" shock value & the faces, this was kind on the weak side for me. Maybe it gets better later? For now I might just let others test the waters.
        "So be it you have control of the world, but I will rule the universe! The power of Sword and Axe!"
        Avatar: Tatyana of Romancing SaGa 3

Comment

Very weird, creepy premise, and then it devolves into wiener jokes. Nope!
          My Top Anime | Manga
          My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
          My FP Reviews | Twitter
          FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Episode 2

House of virgins.

The rest of the main cast is introduced with Kanade's father and Chiaki's boyfriend Arashi. Arashi is quite the otaku there and a huge fan of Renren. In all of this craziness, Kaho is starting to really lose it, and Atsushi really pushes her towards the edge there. But Kanade comes in to deliver a forehead flick to let her know that Kanade really loves her. That was pretty funny, though the virgin and wiener jokes still continue to irritate me. I'll give it another episode or two before deciding on this show, but at the moment it's either one of the last shows in or first ones out.

Comment

Episode 3

Let them eat cake on a stick.

Seeing Kaho fantasizing like that is pretty funny there. So Kaho and Kanade have their first date, and seeing that he is an elementary school kid that they couldn't do anything extravagant, so they connect with each other in the park through a sand done tunnel, and then the boys play dodgeball in front of a dagashi shop, and then Kaho and Kanade eat cake on a stick before they kiss each other. Too bad Shinohara was watching that was quite a punch in the gut for him that he broke his phone over it. And Kaz's English is really something. It's a better episode seeing that they did away with the wiener jokes, but still it has issues.

So with that, I'll give it one more episode before deciding on this show. It's on the cusp, but given how crowded the season is getting for me that I need to cut back somewhere, and so far it's on the outside looking in.

Comment

Episode 4

She sees Paris, she sees France. She smells some guy's underpants.

Here comes Mafuyu, who is called in to tutor Kanade as his grades are just abysmal. But she's a yandere as this high school girl doesn't want others to know that she's been keeping underpants of the guy she's in love with, and she turns into a monster as Kaho found out. While the whole part about Mafuyu going crazy is funny, all of those manservice jokes just fall flat.

So with that, I think I had enough of this show. While the concept is good, all of those sexual jokes are getting repetitive and stale, and I need to make room somewhere with my slate already overflowing.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                Widgets Magazine
                Working...
                X