X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Summer 2016] ReLIFE Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    リライフ

A show about a struggling jobless man reliving his high school life made possible with an experimental drug.

Airs: Friday, July 1

Studio: TMS Entertainment

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

The story follows Kaizaki Arata, a 27-year-old jobless man, who fails at every job interview he had after quitting his last company. His life changes after he met Yoake Ryou of the ReLife Research Institute, who offered him a drug that can change his appearance to 17-years-old and to become a subject in an experiment for one year. Thus, he begins his life as a high school student once more.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Nanako Yukishiro, Senryu Girl
    Watching: Ingress, Ancient Magus' Bride, Pokemon Sun and Moon, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, DRO, CQK, RSH, AOT, BSD, FRB, OPM, KYB, FGN, SKS, MLA, SMT, HBS, KOT, MIX, WNL, KMA, FIL, IDM, ISQ, SRG, STW
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Back to school.

I figured that if I went back to high school that I would have trouble with exams and stuff seeing that it's on material that I have forgotten a long time ago seeing that when going through college I would be focusing on a certain subject that the other stuff that I learned would slip out of my mind. Arata got the chance to relive his high school life seeing that other than that he doesn't have a life. That was pretty funny seeing him struggling to fit in as while he looks like a teen, he sure does act like the fish out of water that he is forgetting his pencil box and instead, bringing in a pack of cigarettes. And the teacher is actually three years younger than him, so there could be a potential romantic relationship down the line. So far, it's off to a solid start seeing Arata fumbling around to readjust to life in high school.
    Simulcasts: FTL, DRO, CQK, RSH, AOT, BSD, FRB, OPM, KYB, FGN, SKS, MLA, SMT, HBS, KOT, MIX, WNL, KMA, FIL, IDM, ISQ, SRG, STW
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Episode 2

One year friends.

For some reason yet to be explained, Crunchyroll is putting up all of the episodes for this show today as they already have the first eight up there. Anyway, I watched the next episode and will finish the rest later.

Arata is already standing out having brought a pack of cigarettes, fail miserably on all of his exams, and now he lends 1000 yen to the class rep Hishiro, who has trouble making friends herself. He has come the the person who has experienced those social problems before, and they are a great match for each other. BUt this friendship will only last for a year seeing that 17-year-old Arata doesn't actually exist. This show continues to be pretty good, and I'll keep on watching seeing that more episodes are out.

Comment

Episode 3

Can't hide his age.

It's onto gym class as Arata shows that he has the body of a 27 year old despite the fact that he looks 17. He hurts himself trying to throw that ball, and then falls down during the sprint. At least he's a decent runner, but in the end he's just too old. Things are all nice between him and Hishiro, but not so much with Kariu. That girl sure has an inferiority complex that has been such a problem that Ryo sees her as his immediate concern. This show continues to be enjoyable here.

So with that, I'll continue to watch this show and I plan to watch the rest at a later time seeing that CR was so gracious to release the whole series today.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
          For some reason yet to be explained, Crunchyroll is putting up all of the episodes for this show today as they already have the first eight up there.
          No, it was announced already. Still, it is a rather interesting experiment, since it looks like as far as Japanese TV goes, it's airing normally. Seems they're putting all episodes online for streaming from the start there too, though.

Comment

Episode 4

Poor Hishiro. We know the truth behind those creepy smiles of hers. And it's kind of adorable how she thinks things are going well when she flashes them at people. But with all Kariu's been through trying to keep up with others and get her place next to her crush, those smiling daggers get twisted despite Hishiro's intentions.
            Last edited by EmperorBrandon; 07-01-2016, 01:00 PM.

Comment

Episode 5

I was dreading the misunderstandings would go on longer, but glad that it seems things were wrapped up heartwarmingly already (even if the "rivalry" will be ongoing) this episode with Hishiro and Kariu. And it probably would have gone on longer if Kaizaki had stuck with his original plan of trying to shield Hishiro. Really needed to have everything out there, so glad he changed course as Hishiro was one who could take it and get across her real feelings when confronted. And we finally get what some of what happened with Kaizaki's original job. Do wonder how that will continue to play into things.

Looks like next episode might have some focus on Onoya, who I'm curious about. I think I'll call it a break here though since it is a nice point to do it. I'm not really up for a complete binge viewing in one day even if this one has caught my interest enough to dig into several episodes.

Comment

Re: Episode 4

They've fallen, but can they get up?

Kariu's jealousy sure knows no bounds there. She's a rival to Hishiro in academics seeing that she wants to win the silver hairpin, and to Honoka in volleyball. And things get really dicey there when Kariu steals Hishiro's bag, but Arata happens to be there to stop her and then they take quite a big fall together. That was really creepy there with the way Hishiro is smiling even though she means well.

Comment

Re: Episode 5

Let's do this fair and square.

As it turns out, Kariu was trying to get the better of her rival by backstabbing rather than trying to make herself better. And as such, that was what stealing Hishiro's bag was all about. But thanks to Arata, the two were able to make up and become friends now that Kariu realizes that besting her rival that way just wasn't going to get her any satisfaction whatsoever. That was quite a nice way for the two to make up there, and Arata definitely came through to help out Kariu seeing that her way of thinking is not exactly conventional.

Comment

Episode 6

It's love at first sight.

No wonder Onoya was just as bad as Kaizaki was on the exams as she's also an experimental subject. And unlike with the other students, this is one romantic relationship that can happen. It's no wonder why she and Oga came to the apartment seeing that Kaizaki himself hasn't given it to anybody, and that was quite a hilarious scene there seeing Kaizaki scramble trying to hide the fact that he really 28. Now that he knows that Yoake and Onoya are subjects, it will be interesting to see who else at the school is older than they look.

Comment

Episode 7

And then he became a test subject.

This episode tells the story about how Yoake and Onoya discovered Kaizaki and made him a test subject. Onoya knew that they had acquired the perfect guy for the experiment seeing that he had nothing left to turn to after all of the chaos in his life. That was some pretty valuable insight on Yoake and that something was up with test subject 001 that made them look for subject 002 that Kaizaki is. It seems to me that it could be Hishiro, but nevertheless Yoake chose well seeing that this NEET needs a life even if it meant going back to high school.

Comment

Episode 8

Not on the same page, or court.

The focus is on Honoka as she's a stud volleyball player, but she might not be able to play in the tournament as her grades are pretty bad. They are a far cry from Kaizaki's, but still she needs to improve them if she wants to play volleyball. And while that's happening, her teammates are talking trash about her, which Kariu doesn't take very well. So she studies and passes, but Honoka is beat from studying and now Kariu sprains her ankle in an accident that Honoka blames herself for, putting her availability for the tournament in jeopardy. That sure was a nasty fall that Kariu took there, and just when things were looking up, this happens.

Comment

Episode 9

Time to get revenge.

With Honoka and Kariu becoming more distant since the injury, Hishiro turns to Kaizaki for advice where, in a way, they exchange their pasts seeing that not everything Kaizaki said was the truth. As it turns out, the reason why Hishiro is who she is today is that she tried to stop a bully, but in the end the victim ended up transferring out of her school. Something similar happened with Kaizaki, but of course it was as a 27-year-old person in the workplace. So the two decide to get revenge, and doing so by getting Honoka to talk and Kariu to listen in. Everybody sure is going through tough times here, and it will be interesting to see how this plan works out.

Comment

Re: Episode 5

Originally posted by EmperorBrandon View Post
                            I was dreading the misunderstandings would go on longer, but glad that it seems things were wrapped up heartwarmingly already (even if the "rivalry" will be ongoing) this episode with Hishiro and Kariu. And it probably would have gone on longer if Kaizaki had stuck with his original plan of trying to shield Hishiro. Really needed to have everything out there, so glad he changed course as Hishiro was one who could take it and get across her real feelings when confronted. And we finally get what some of what happened with Kaizaki's original job. Do wonder how that will continue to play into things.
                            Liked how the issue was resolved, even if it was mainly due to Arata's 'words of wisdom'. Glad they stuck to Hishiro being dense about the whole misunderstanding, with Kariu finally seeing the bigger picture of her. Had the two started quarreling, especially if Hishiro broke out into drama, would've seemed uncharacteristic and a bit lame considering her monotonic disposition.

Looks like next episode might have some focus on Onoya, who I'm curious about. I think I'll call it a break here though since it is a nice point to do it. I'm not really up for a complete binge viewing in one day even if this one has caught my interest enough to dig into several episodes.
                            Pretty interested in Onoya myself. Looks like she's in the same boat as Arata, so it'll be interesting to know what her story is. She and Amatsu-sensei have been the cutest so far.

btw, like how they're using different ED songs for each episode. Surprised to hear Puffy since it's been a long while since I listened to anything from them.

Comment

Episode 10

Another arc of drama with Kariu's stubbornness. And Hishiro's role proves to be so heartwarming yet again. She gets a push from Kaizaki again, though I do like in the earlier episode it was affecting her to the point of really wanting to do something, she just didn't know what (trying Google at first seemed so like her). But not just that: Tamarai has her own support to back her up. Good to see them all finally back together, with Hishiro's infamous smiling to end it all on a good note.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X