X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: TFP's Anime List Project #28: The One With the Swimsuits

Originally posted by kijakusai View Post
    Originally posted by bctaris View Post
    (If you have a topic suggestion, please feel free to post that here, as well.)
    A topic suggestion in relation to the season/upcoming date. How about tanabata? (Wikipedia has an English article about tanabata.)
    I'm not sure whether anime have many tanabata-related scenes/episodes to the level where they can form a List, however.
    (Methinks Haruhi had a tanabata-related episode, if I remember correctly, though.)
    Indeed, thanks, kijakusai! That's the biggest summer-time national festival, right? You're right that I can't think of too many shows off-hand that feature it directly, but I've seen it enough to recognize it. There are often enough "summer vacation" themed episodes that feature some festival or another, however--often with fireworks--but I don't know if these are always referring to tanbata or not.
    Avatar: Tsumugi, Sweetness & Lightning
    Moderation: General Anime; English Track; Movie; TV | TFP Forum Rules
    Please Support The Fandom Post

Comment

Sorry, loyal FaPo ALPro cadets!

Small site hiccup this morning means the forum had to be rebooted from last save point and some posts from the morning of the 28th may have been lost. If any posts and/or nominations (or votes!) were made here please re-post them, if possible. Apologies for the hassle.
      Last edited by bctaris; 06-28-2016, 01:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kijakusai View Post
        (If you have a topic suggestion, please feel free to post that here, as well.)
        A topic suggestion in relation to the season/upcoming date. How about tanabata? (Wikipedia has an English article about tanabata.)
        I'm not sure whether anime have many tanabata-related scenes/episodes to the level where they can form a List, however.
        (Methinks Haruhi had a tanabata-related episode, if I remember correctly, though.)
        Indeed, thanks, kijakusai! That's the biggest summer-time national festival, right? You're right that I can't think of too many shows off-hand that feature it directly, but I've seen it enough to recognize it. There are often enough "summer vacation" themed episodes that feature some festival or another, however--often with fireworks--but I don't know if these are always referring to tanbata or not.
        That's perfect for the next one as July 4 is coming meaning fireworks celebrations in the USA, and shortly afterwards it's Tanabata in Japan. Of the shows I watched this season, there's a Tanabata episode in one show, and it is the one you would least expect to see it in.
        MyAnimeList | Avatar: Nanako Yukishiro, Senryu Girl
        Watching: Stellvia, Baki, Toonami Stuff
        Simulcasts: FTL, TOA-I, TSL, SAO, KTF, CQK, KMF, DAL, TSH, PNL, More TBD
        The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Originally posted by Jun Kuga View Post

Full Metal Panic? Fumoffu Episode 3 - Summer Illusion of Steel
          Hijinx at the beach with Kaname & Sousuke, and a kidnapping that wasn't really a kidnapping?
          Originally posted by Jimmie M View Post
          Hyperdimension Neptunia TV, "The Paradise (Island) Forbidden...on which people will DO THINGS to other people and forget wardrobe malfunction because there might even be tonguing and it'll be like "Oh no, Neptune is so embarrassed~~"! The title kinda says it all, doesn't it? Actually, the CPUs & Nepgear investigate the island called R-18 and yes, fun on the beach is involved.
          I second these. Also putting forward:

-Baka to Test to Shoukanjuu Ni! Episode 1 - "Me, Everyone, and Swimming in the Ocean!"
          -School Rumble Episode 12 - "Save Me at the Beach! Save Me, I'm Naked! Just Save Me For Real!"
          -Kaichou wa Maid-sama! Episode 16 - "Maid Latte at the Beach House"
          -Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 2wei Herz! Episode 2 - "Tricolore Birthday"
          ~My Anime Collection~

Comment

Originally posted by Jun Kuga View Post
            Oooh, Beach Episodes??

Aria the Animation Episode 5 - To That Island Which Shouldn't Exist...
            In an entire show about messing around on the water, it should come as no surprise that there's an episode where they mess around on the beach. In a truly wonderful way that would easily get a "No sappy lines allowed" remark from Aika.
            Aria is in my top 5 series list, so I'm compelled to nth this

I'm going with spooky episodes, one serious and one not:

Another episode 8 - "Hair stand"

The classmates leave their city to escape from the curse stalking them, convinced that they will be safe . . . ..

Re-Kan! episode 4 - "Summer Means the Beach"

Even the waves 'ship Narumi and Hibiki

Comment

K-on! season 1, episode 4, Training Camp

The beach episode to define beach episodes. Mio’s drive to make Houkago Tea Time better is the catalyst for this trip. But add in that Mugi has a decadent beach house, and there’s no motivation to practice makes for a freaking fun episode. Can be summed up with Barnacles! Moe Moe Kyun! Hontou? DEATH BY MOE! Why this episode and not episode 10? Moe Moe Kyun broke the internet for months.

Lucky Star, episode 6, Fixtures of Summer

K-on! episode 4 was heartwarming, but Lucky Star’s beach episode is full on slapstick. Initial D references to show how crazy cousin Yui is. Konata in her 6th grade swimsuit to show she’s pandering and underdeveloped. Add super awkward conversations in the bath and pranks on Tsukasa to an overall fun Lucky Star episode!

By the way, for the purposes of this topic, "beach" refers to any recreational shoreline beside any body or course of water, including artificial ones, but not regular swimming pools. So think outside the bikini-box.
              ...Okay!

Girls Und Panzer OVA 2, Survival War!

Compared to the first ova episode, this episode is much better. Yeah, there’s a lot of the girls in their bikinis and swimsuits. Oooh, Yuzu fills that white bikini so well. Momo, that black bikini seems a bit wrong. (COUGH) Oh, sorry, where was I? But there’s surprisingly some character development in this episode. Yukari setting up the zeltbahn and cries “but I wanted to feel like I was reliving World War II!” and Miho stopping Yukari from her MRE extravaganza is too funny. Also, team rabbit likes Monty Python.

Azumanga Daioh, Episode 22, Entrance Exams Study Camp!

The third beach house episode. My list could have been all three Azumanga Daioh beach episodes and both K-on! episodes, but let’s split it up for more variety. If you’re listening to this episode with headphones, listen carefully to the sound effects when Yukari pulls into the driveway. You have this whimsical ominous background music and the sound of DRAGGING PLASTIC while the car moves in. There’s also karmic payback for Ms. Kurosawa and finally Osaka, Yukari, KNIFE.

Kamichu! Episode 7, Lovers of the Sun

A fun day at the beach turns into a discovery of how things used to be. Yurie, Mitsue, and Matsuri discover Hamakaze, an old beach house that did brisk business long ago. Yurie, using her powers helped, just for one night, turned back the clock. A wonderful episode that helped Yurie get closer to her parents, and a whole town to relive their younger years.

Comment

Now I want to re-watch Aria, K-On! and Kamichu!

This is going to be a hard poll to vote for just 5.

Comment

Sorry, loyal FaPo ALPro cadets!

Small site hiccup this morning means the forum had to be rebooted from last save point and some posts from the morning of the 28th may have been lost. If any posts and/or nominations (or votes!) were made here please re-post them, if possible. Apologies for the hassle.
                  I see. I re-post the messages.

Indeed, thanks, kijakusai!
                  It's a pleasure.

...often with fireworks...
                  Yeah, I was going to also suggest fireworks as a topic.

Comment

That's the biggest summer-time national festival, right?
                    Yes, that is one of the best-known summer festivals. ^_^

Beveridge-san and his family did tanabata, and he wrote about it.
                    http://www.fandompost.com/oldforums/...-Gone-Japanese
                    http://www.fandompost.com/2012/08/27...gone-japanese/

Comment

Surely to be lost today, but trying anyway: the poll for last topic ends tomorrow afternoon, and nominations for beach episodes are open through today (but probably tomorrow as well)!

Comment

Non Non Biyori, ep. 5: I Pretended I Forgot My Swimsuit (A simple but memorable one for the totality of it, per NNB, where the journey home from the beach after a long day is as much part of it. Also a classic swimsuit reveal...and a fifth grader?)
                        Encouragement of Climb, ep. 11 (I said any beach...)
                        Oreshura, ep. 12 (The best intentional cliche of what a beach episode is, in a cake-and-eat-it-too fashion, but not lacking in the ironic self-referential commentary the show shined at.)

Seconding MUC ep. 4 and the YUA Special.

I'm sure many classics from yesteryear I'm spacing out (heck, Beautiful Dreamer is largely an entire beach-themed movie) but hard to remember.

Comment

Hello

This post is for all the lurkers who check the anime list project threads out, but haven't participated. Here's your chance. There are many beach, lake, or river episodes that haven't been nominated yet. Don't be nervous, and don't worry about a thing. Nobody gets shouted down or mocked for nominations, so don't fear shame.

All you need is the ability to post replies to any thread, that's it. So go ahead, go through your memories, watch a few episodes if you have to, and post!

Comment

I guess time to finalize my nominations. There's so much good stuff mentioned already (may just change my mind as far as votes go), though.

K-On!, ep. 10 "Training Camp Again!": The earlier one was already nominated, and they're both great (it's so hard to pick one...) but ultimately I feel this one sticks in my memory more. Builds on the previous one quite nicely with Azusa (tan!) being introduced to the antics, plus some fun with Yui-Ritsu bonding and Mugi's image
                            My Teen Romantic Comedy SNAFU, ep. 8 "One Day, They Will Learn the Truth": For some more river swimsuit representation, though the arc it's a part of is memorable to me (as with Oregairu as a whole) in the social issues it tackles.

And I'll second these:
                            Angelic Layer, ep. 21
                            Non Non Biyori, ep. 5: Heh, I like Nattsun getting unintentionally guilted (hasn't been long since I came across the stories from this episode again with the manga)
                            Last edited by EmperorBrandon; 07-03-2016, 05:41 PM.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                            Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                            Widgets Magazine
                            Working...
                            X