Widgets Magazine

Currently Watching (Spring 2016 Edition)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Post-Simulcast Report: June 16-30

Time for another post-simulcast report, the last of the season. I watched a good number of OVAs and specials attached to TV series, and as per my policy, those don't get reviewed separately from the main series in general. I make a few exceptions, and Eizou Hakusho is one seeing that it's six standard-length episodes and not at all part of the story (one or both things along wouldn't be an exception, but together they are). For the next post-simulcast report that will come in the summer season thread, I have some changes in mind, but I'm not quite sure if I want to implement them at the moment.

Completed

Seraph of the Endless (1-9): B

Psycho Pass 2 (rewatching, 5-11): B-
    This season is just lacking compared to the first as the animation quality takes a dip, the new characters are dry, and the story leaves plenty to be desired. That said, the drama and intensity are still as great as the first season, while the concepts that went into this show are amazing.

Yu Yu Hakusho (104-112): A
    This just an amazing and addictive show. This show does just about everything right with great action, strong character development, and a well-written story. Not to mention, the characters are likable and are so complex that it's hard to think that the characters would end up being who they really are. But above all, the pacing in just right (well, maybe the Demon World Tournament arc went too quickly, but the point of the tournament was all about relationships and not on the action unlike the Dark Tournament arc) seeing that fights are not drawn out and that the purpose of all the action is to build characters. In all, the show is what a long Shonen Jump action series is all about.

Yu Yu Hakusho: Eizou Hakusho (1-6): C
    Pretty much just a recap episode of all the fights. At least the omake segments at the end of the episodes are funny, while the soundtrack is nice. But other than that, there's not much to these OVA episodes seeing that these episodes didn't get any remastering on the video quality.

Dimension W (rewatching, 1-12): B
    The show is great on a technical level with awesome animation, a great soundtrack, and amazing action. But it is lacking in story as it got needlessly complicated and often beats around the bush leading to a story that just had issues. The story is great in concept and drama that leads to a nice ending, but getting there was where this show whiffs.

Fate/kaleid Liner Prisma Illya 2wei! Herz Specials (1-5): C

Konosuba (OVA): B+

Ongoing

[FTL] Fairy Tail (227-233)
    [HXH] Hunter x Hunter (9-10)
    [MSG-IBO] Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans (1-4)
    [NAR-2] Naruto Shippuden (87-88)
    [PKM-XYZ] Pokemon XYZ (16-17)

Dropped

Japan Animator Expo (14, watched only Sex and Violence with Machspeed)
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Violet Evergarden of KyoAni's Violet Evergarden
    Watching: Kyo Kara Maoh, Pokemon Sun and Moon, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, FRB, KYB, FGN, MIX, FIL
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Spring 2016 Simulcast Reviews

With another season in the books, now it is time that I assign grades to shows that I finished watching this past season, as well as sharing my thoughts about them. In the interest of time, it is essentially a copy and paste job from my final thoughts from the show threads edited to remove potential spoilers. Once again, the shows in the Completed section are arranged in the order I watched the final episode of, while the shows in Ongoing are in alphabetical order.

Completed

Super Lovers: B
      This show was something I didn't have any expectations for given that it's not exactly my cup of tea, but it ended up being enjoyable. The comedy got me into this show, and especially the parts where Ren is finding out that things in urban Japan are much different than in rural Canada. But above all, it does a great job in establishing and developing relationships with the number of episodes it had to work with. On the flipside, this show has some issues with the biggest one being that progression is inconsistent, and that Haru can be tough to deal with. In all, a solid show and I look forward to season 2.

The Asterisk War: B-
      This show is great for its action, animation, and characters as those things were what got me invested in this show. The action is some of the best-animated stuff that I have seen in awhile. However, this show's story is its biggest problem as the focus wavers too much with so many sidetracks and stuff. This show stumbles at the start with a cliche-ridden beginning and with stuff just happening without any good explanation. But the story improves in the second half as character development is more prominent and it is filled with action, which is when this show is at its best. That said, its lack of focus causes lots of things to be left unsettled and unfulfilling.

Kuma Miko: Girl Meets Bear: C+
      This show is enjoyable for the comedy, the characters, and the interactions between them. The jokes really hit the spot for the most part, and that made for a fun show to watch. That said, it has some major deficiencies in that Machi's cluelessness is overplayed too much and I was hoping that there would be more growth to Machi's character than what I actually got. And the animation also left something to be desired as well. But that said, it was a fun time to be had, at least until the last two episodes that were a big letdown.

Bakuon!!: B-
      This is an enjoyable show for its atmosphere and amusement of seeing the girls riding their motorcycles. The characters are a fun bunch, and the references and other things going on make for something nice to watch. That said, this show has some pretty massive flaws with the biggest ones being the way the story flows and that the show lacks originality as it essentially a carbon copy of K-On! with the only thing different is the instead of playing music, the girls are riding motorcycles. Still, I liked everything that went into this show and while it wasn't always done in the best way possible, never was it unwatchable.

Joker Game: B-
      This show is something that would have worked better with some sort of storyline rather than the spy-of-the-week episodic approach seeing that with the way this show is written, it's hard to connect with any of the characters except for maybe Yuuki. That said, the individual episodes are nicely constructed and well-animated. The mystery and drama aspects were well done. But simply put, the episodic approach just didn't make for any kind of advancement in a story that could certainly have used some.

Anne Happy: B-
      This show is funny and the characters are a fun bunch to watch. While the jokes have the tendency to get repetitive and overdone at times, the concept is pretty good. The show is pretty stupid, but at the same time that's what made this show fun. That said, there were times where the humor just doesn't work very effectively, but the times where it does it really stands out and then some. Lastly, there was some decent development all to make for a very satisfying show to watch.

And You Thought There is Never a Girl Online?: B-
      This show ends up turning out to be much better than I was expecting considering Project No. 9's poor track record and a story concept that can best be described as being gimmicky on the surface. What I like about this show is that it has a nice story, intriguing characters, and solid development all while the humor works for the most part. However, this show has some pretty big issues with the biggest one being the poor animation quality, while the other major one is that Ako's delusional behavior was overdone and while progress was made on her character, it didn't go as far as I hoped. But that said, it was a fun time to be had.

Space Patrol Luluco: B+
      For a short, this show really is amazing. The story is nicely constructed, the characters are amazing, the humor is incredible, and most of all the parodies of other Trigger shows are downright hilarious. This show is all about the crazy things that happen around a girl who just wants a normal life, and this show really does justice in every way imaginable. About the only thing that I saw was problematic with this show is that things are simply too overdone. In any case, it's one of the best shorts out there seeing that more often than not they are lacking in substance, which is not the case with this.

Kiznaiver: B
      It took awhile to get in the groove as there was just too much to keep track of at the beginning all while things don't click right off the bat, which is typical of shows directed by Mari Okada as things don't usually get good until midway through. The whole idea of pain sharing was just overused to the point where I didn't think that there would be much of a story. But once the show starts becoming more serious with the situations regarding Maki and Noriko, that's when the show starts to hit its stride as the characters see their friendships develop in a quite a standout and emotional way. The animation is great, the characters are interesting, and the end result of the story is great to make up for a chaotic start where things were all over the place, but the story had all sorts of issues with execution.

High School Fleet: B-
      This show is highly engaging for the characters, the action, and the atmosphere. The story concept is great, and the whole idea of girls on battleships certainly made for an interesting show. Individually, the episodes are nice to watch, but putting all of the things together, this show is really lacking. In particular, the biggest problem is that the show got pretty repetitive with the only things really changing are the ship and the method of approach, while there's a gaping hole that was left in the story that was critical to the show, but never got fully explained. In any case, it's a decent show for girls and action, but the story could have been much better than this.

Flying Witch: B+
      This show is just a great way to kick back as it sets itself to be a relaxing show, and it does just that. It's nothing that stands out given its slice of life nature, but given its objective of being a slice of life with supernatural elements, it does a great job in staying true to form. The characters are a fun bunch, and the atmosphere made for a nice show. Just about the only major strike against this show is the fragmented plot as it's just a bunch of stuff happening, some with the supernatural involved and some without it. Things don't always tie in together as nicely as I would have liked it to. That said, it's a show about relaxation, and it accomplishes that goal and the fun atmosphere is what made this show go.

My Hero Academia: A
      This show has a lot going for it from the animation, the great characters, and the storyline. A whole lot of effort was put into this show, and the end result is a great story that does a nice job in developing the MC, all while doing an excellent job in managing the presence of a large list of characters. Every episode is great from start to finish as it will always kept me engaged whether it be through the laughs, the action, the story, or the development of Izuku's character from zero to hero. Just about the only blemish in this show is that the story took awhile at the beginning to establish itself. This show is amazing, and I am definitely looking forward to season 2 of this.

Pan de Peace!: C
      This show is a cute way to spend three minutes a week as the characters are cute and a fun bunch, all while those bread jokes and other stuff can be amusing. At the same time, it has the typical problems that shorts tend to have in that the limited screen time means limited functionality. The biggest problem with this show is that Noa got way too much focus at the cost of the other girls, and while imbalance will happen, not to this extent that the other girls become an afterthought.

Rainbow Days: B-
      This is a show that ended up being much better than I was expecting. The premise appeared to be something down the lines of a heavy duty fujoshi show, but that was thankfully not the case at all with this show as the focus was squarely on building friendships and romantic relationships without any of the characters doing anything seriously irksome. The show has some pretty nice comedy and strong character development given its format, and that is more than I could ask for. This show has some issues with the mediocre animation quality, being too straight of a show, and that the main couple's romance had too much needless melodrama. But in the end, I really enjoyed this show more than expected.

Usakame: D-
      This is just another short with the only thing going for it is that it is happening in the Teekyu universe. The jokes are sometimes funny and the girls are intriguing. But at the very least, Teekyu stood out with the fast talk, while with this show things flow at a pace that's faster than normal, but nowhere near the insane pace of Teekyu. In any case, there's that, and the watercolor animation that didn't really look aesthetically pleasing that makes this spinoff a step down from Teekyu.

Wagamama High Spec: D
      This show is pretty much just another short and it was mildly amusing while the girls are a good bunch of characters. But the episodes are just way too short to do anything really meaningful, while this show comes off as being an advertisement for the Wagahigh and Kakotama smartphone games, which cuts into its already limited run time there at the end. This show is two minutes of silliness every week and it's acceptable for its length, but the humor is hit or miss, and it is mostly miss.

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress: B+
      This show got off to a great start putting on display everything that made Attack on Titan so amazing with great action, an intense atmosphere, the complicated characters, the complexity of the situation, and great drama. Everything was going well until a certain someone shows up that I felt was a forced introduction in order to uphold the spirit of Attack on Titan. From there, the storywriting was just a total mess. Things would have been great if just stayed the course and the journey continued as normal seeing that there wasn't much of a leadup to that person's arrival. Anyway, I just like the drama and the intense atmosphere this show has that made me want to keep on watching this to see what happens next even if things weren't done in the smoothest of ways, and the action is what made this show so great and intriguing in the first place.

Assassination Classroom Second Season: A
      This season takes a huge leap forward from the first as things were starting to get stale in the middle of the first season. It started by picking up where the first season left off, and then this show really gets awesome towards the end. The story in this season is simply an amazing work of art while the ending is really emotional and something that goes to show how much the characters have grown during the year. While the first season was more comedy focused, this one is more story-driven, and the end result is something great. Just about the only blemish this season has is that there was one thing that led to some discord in the way the story was written.

Shonen Maid: B-
      This show is a nice way to kick back and relax as this show is all about comedy and building relationships, and it does a solid job in both regards. The characters are a fun bunch in this show, while the comedy does a great job in connecting everything together. In the end, it's a solid feel-good show, a type that differs substantially from Flying Witch. This show has a few major issues in that the jokes tend to get repetitive and stale, the show had the tendency to get really dull at times, and the show's overall plot could have been better seeing that stories are told in half-episode stretches. But in the end, it was nice and heartwarming to watch seeing that the characters are what make the show more than anything.

Haven't You Heard? I'm Sakamoto: B
      This show is pretty hilarious as I was laughing really hard with this show. Everything that Sakamoto does is simply amazing, and this show really delivers when it comes to the jokes and stuff. That said, this show has one really major issue in that the overall structure is essentially the same for almost every episode with some delinquents trying to attack Sakamoto only for their plan to fail spectacularly with Sakamoto thwarting those plots in style. At least they changed up things here and there, but in the end, things were getting pretty repetitive. That said, watching Sakamoto acting cool is pretty amusing to make for a pleasant show.

Ongoing

Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn Re:0096: B+
      This is a traditional Gundam show in the original universe and the story is nicely written for the most part. The action is great as to be expected out of a traditional Gundam show, while there's a lot of intrigue going on that leads to development on both sides of the conflict. As for problems this show has, it's very confusing to follow (though to be fair, that has been the case for just about every Gundam show that I have watched), and that the editing from the OVA to TV broadcast could have been done better. At the very least, the long recaps at the start are helpful in getting me to understand everything that just went on.

Re:Zero -Starting Life in a Different World-: A
      This is one of the best shows of the season as everything is clicking on all cylinders. The characters are great, the animation is wonderful, and the atmosphere is intriguing. But above all, the story is masterfully written and it helps that it got a double-length episode at the beginning. The show has numerous cliffhangers and mysteries that has me eagerly awaiting the next episode. Just about the only issue I have is that the MC can get annoying at times.

Twin Star Exorcists: C
      The manga is supposed to be awesome, but unfortunately, this show doesn't faithfully adapt the manga leading to a rather disappointing viewing experience. What I particularly hate is the anime-only mascot character that's very annoying, and that there are just way too many inappropriate sidetracks. That said, when this show follows the manga the results are incredible. The action is great, and the comedy is alright, but some of the characters are really annoying at the moment. Given that this show has 50 episodes to work with that I'm hoping for better things moving forward in this series.
      The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Spring 2016 Final Thoughts

First Impressions

Hey, it's that post I should've had up a month ago! Apparently this is what happens when I go to Anime Expo... I'll keep them brief and simple.

For those who read the regular discussion threads as well as the posts in these threads, note that I may be reusing some of my posts from those that I feel express my thoughts on a series well enough that there's no reason for me to make a point of saying something completely different.

New For Spring 2016:

The first number and icon is the number of spots and direction the series moved on the given ranking. The second is the number and direction of possible grades it moved. The former is obviously only relative to the other series around it, and the latter may show a movement of "00" even if my opinion of it did go up or down, if it wasn't enough to change the grade.

02▲ 01▲ 01. Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu (A-) It's appropriate for the fifth anniversary season of Steins;Gate that the best series by far is a two-cour White Fox series with an utterly captivating time leap plot. Continuing on with no eyecatches, previews, or recaps, and rarely any OP or ED, every episode is packed with intrigue from beginning to end, developing its characters who could seem like stereotypes at first to the point of being intricately detailed and compelling. Some episodes are dedicated entirely to backstories that can instantly turn characters into the best in the series, while others are downright horrifying and don't allow a moment of relaxation. The most exciting thing is that it's still going and only getting better and better.
        01▼ 00► 02. JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken: Diamond wa Kudakenai (A-) A cour and a third into the fourth part, it feels like we still don't know much about the big picture of the story, instead continuing to explore the town and all of the unique characters within it. It's an interesting change from the previous part's world tour style, and on the bright side, having most of the enemies so far stick around and transition into allies makes the early confrontations feel more significant than the Stand of the Week format that defined much of Stardust Crusaders. There's still a lot to go, so I'm still pretty confident that this part will eventually live up to the promise that it's one of the best of the series. David Production has certainly not been slacking on their end.
        02▲ 01▲ 03. Boku no Hero Academia (B+) My initial reaction that this wasn't living up to the hype has thankfully been changed as the season went on. Each episode has a near-perfect structure to optimize a well-directed climax that always succeeds in being emotional and inspiring regardless of how built on cliches it may be. As we get to learn more about the characters, the heart of the show gets to shine a bit more, which is essential to it having that impact when it needs to. The ending demands a sequel, but thankfully that was confirmed as soon as it ended, so all is well.
        00► 01▲ 04. Ushio to Tora (TV) 2nd Season (B+) The final cour of the series is as action-packed as one would expect, continuing to speed along the plot at a pace I'm very comfortable with. The aesthetic isn't beautiful, but the resources are utilized well for making it look nice, and the villain feels truly frightening thanks to creative voice filters and camera angles. It's no masterpiece, but it's a solid and succinct example of slightly old-school shounen.
        03▲ 00► 05. Bungou Stray Dogs (B-) While it spends most of the series seeming unsure of what kind of story it's trying to tell, the pieces put in place in the last few episodes build up hope for the second season to be a more focused, worthwhile endeavor. This season isn't a total waste either, as some of the time spent with the idiosyncratic cast is entertaining at the very least. And hey, the music is still good and it's pretty, albeit the lesser of the two Bones shows this season.
        05▲ 00► 06. Kiznaiver (B-) It's impossible not to love Trigger when they deliver creative, high quality visual storytelling, and this series is one of the best examples we've gotten of that since Imaishi's crew officially became Trigger. And while Mari Okada's character writing is occasionally successful in its attempted poignancy (the interpersonal relationships within this group sharing some similarities to her finest work by far, AnoHana), it also gets a bit too melodramatic at times, and more importantly abuses its characters too often. The story inevitably ends up being about empathy, which is a simple but rich subject, but some of the writing doesn't do the potential of the premise justice. Oh, and the opening is pretty fantastic.
        01▼ 00► 07. Joker Game (B-) Joker Game is similar to Kiznaiver in that it's gorgeous and has a great concept at its core, although both factors are executed about as differently from Kiznaiver as one could imagine. Where it doesn't pull it all together is also in the writing, but instead of pushing the character drama too far, it offers virtually none. In its cast that is far too big to fully explore in twelve episodes, we get almost no character building, each episode telling an interesting story but featuring no emotional connection with the person we follow through it. With Taku Kishimoto writing it, there could've been a great deal of depth for these characters, but instead we get next to nothing to cling onto.
        01▼ 00► 08. Sakamoto desu ga? (B-) As it turns out, this show is really just the same joke over and over again. It's such a good joke that the show is still worth watching despite it, but it certainly gets old after a while. The weak artwork and animation also hurt the execution across the board, but that one critical component of the comic timing still manages to work out most of the time, with a signature musical cue that accentuates almost every occurrence of that one joke.
        01▲ 00► 09. Super Lovers (B-) After the first few episodes, I was wondering where this series was going, and now that it's over it's still kind of a mystery. It jumps around all the time, working its main BL plot into most events in one way or another, but not really in a way that feels like real romantic development. By the time the second season rolls around, I may have decided that it's not worth watching any more, but for the moment I'm still curious enough to see if it ever settles into a discernible, coherent story.
        08▼ 03▼ 10. Koutetsujou no Kabaneri (B-) The bizarre but beautiful Attack on Titan clone by the adaptive team of Attack on Titan speeds straight downhill, aping all of the superficial qualities of Attack on Titan without seeming to understand any of the complexity that makes it great. Even with the same level of animation, direction, and music, it's so hollow that it only just barely remains watchable, and ends up being the worst of Araki's major series. Yes, not only significantly worse than Guilty Crown (which this team shares even more in common with than Attack on Titan), but a little bit worse than Highschool of the Dead. At least those had higher overall entertainment value.

Dropped:

01▲ 01▼ 11. Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn RE:0096 (C+) As good as the material it's chopping up still is, it's done so unnaturally that it's impossible to watch any of it without seeing how obvious it was that it belongs in a very different format and order of events. The OVA had very clear progression to major events, while this will casually show them shuffled around arbitrarily and invalidate the impact.
        03▼ 01▼ 12. Netoge no Yome wa Onnanoko ja Nai to Omotta? (C+) After so many episodes of more and more intense nerd pandering, I had to give up. Yes, everyone on the internet is a cute girl who wants to be your waifu in the game and real life and spend all her time playing online games and carrying out ecchi anime tropes with you at the center of it all. Of course.

I think it's safe to say that Spring 2016 is one of the weakest seasons in recent memory, although part of that is due to the fact that there has often been something really great spanning across several seasons, and the most recent of those ended last season without anything of the same caliber to replace it from this one. If Re:Zero continues on the track it's been on, it could retroactively prove that statement wrong (Steins;Gate certainly wasn't the second best anime ever from the beginning, but Spring 2011 was such an amazing season that it didn't even have to be good), and I strongly hope it does, but for now it's not quite amazing enough to hold up the season on its own. So without that, having only ten watchable shows in a spring season, and most of them only just barely, is pretty bad. Granted, I know several others got much better after the first episode that was below my threshold (most notably Tanaka-kun, but also a few others to a lesser extent), but I can't go back and marathon each one after the fact without hearing praise on the level of Shirobako or something.

Everything that Ended:

01. Ansatsu Kyoushitsu (TV) 2nd Season (A-) When the series first began at the beginning of last year, I had no idea what to make of it, where it was going, when or how it would end, or how good it could possibly be. But as this final cour played out, it weaved everything that had been set up as so absurd and comical together so brilliantly that now I can't imagine how anything could've been done differently. It manages to be fascinating, exhilarating, and emotionally satisfying while still starring a wacky yellow tentacle monster and a class of middle school kids who are supposed to assassinate him. And while that tentacle monster and the backstory he receives make the series, the fact that every single member of this full middle school class is an at least sufficiently developed character (some much more, naturally) is a remarkably impressive feat.
        02. Boku no Hero Academia (B+)
        03. Ushio to Tora (TV) 2nd Season (B+)
        04. Bungou Stray Dogs (B-)
        05. Kiznaiver (B-)
        06. Joker Game (B-)
        07. Sakamoto desu ga? (B-)
        08. Super Lovers (B-)
        09. Koutetsujou no Kabaneri (B-)

Dropped:

10. Netoge no Yome wa Onnanoko ja Nai to Omotta? (C+)

Everything I'm Watching:

Here's everything, including everything listed above. This is here to show the overall ranking (and movement for end-of-season posts) of everything in relation to everything else.

As with the first section, the movement indicators show the movement in the ranking and the change in grade, respectively.

06▲ 01▲ 01. Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu (A-)
        06▲ 01▲ 02. Ansatsu Kyoushitsu (TV) 2nd Season (A-)
        01▼ 00► 03. One Piece (A-)
        03▼ 00► 04. JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken: Diamond wa Kudakenai (A-)
        01▼ 00► 05. Dragon Ball Super (A-)
        04▲ 01▲ 06. Boku no Hero Academia (B+)
        01▼ 00► 07. Detective Conan (B+)
        01▲ 01▲ 08. Ushio to Tora (TV) 2nd Season (B+)
        06▼ 02▼ 09. Naruto: Shippuuden (B)
        03▲ 00► 10. Bungou Stray Dogs (B-)
        05▲ 00► 11. Kiznaiver (B-)
        01▼ 00► 12. Joker Game (B-)
        01▼ 00► 13. Sakamoto desu ga? (B-)
        01▲ 00► 14. Super Lovers (B-)
        10▼ 03▼ 15. Koutetsujou no Kabaneri (B-)

Dropped:

01▲ 01▼ 16. Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn RE:0096 (C+)
        03▼ 01▼ 17. Netoge no Yome wa Onnanoko ja Nai to Omotta? (C+)

Weekly Schedule:

Sunday (3): Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu, Dragon Ball Super, Boku no Hero Academia
        Monday (0):
        Tuesday (1): Joker Game
        Wednesday (3): Detective Conan, Bungou Stray Dogs, Super Lovers
        Thursday (3): Ansatsu Kyoushitsu (TV) 2nd Season, Naruto: Shippuuden, Koutetsujou no Kabaneri
        Friday (3): JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken: Diamond wa Kudakenai, Ushio to Tora (TV) 2nd Season, Sakamoto desu ga?
        Saturday (2): One Piece, Kiznaiver

Fifteen series is a new record low for me, but on the other hand... look at when I could finally post this. Clearly a low quantity is not the worst thing that can happen to me at this point. I think the bigger issue is that the average grade across them is probably at its lowest in... maybe years? It seems like there's always been some top-tier show running for at least the past half-decade. As I said, Re:Zero could prove to be that one for this season, but until it does there's a certain emptiness that I haven't experienced in a very long time.
        My Top Anime | Manga
        My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
        My FP Reviews | Twitter
        FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Spring 2016 Thoughts and Reviews

I have been lacking the motivation to do these reviews over the past two months with a lot of things on my mind. But I managed to finally take the time to review everything from the spring season. Just to make things quicker, I decided to do away with reviews for the Dropped category opting to only list them and the number of episodes I got through before stopping and just focus on the completed and the ongoing stuff (and in this particular segment, just the ongoing shows) seeing that this stuff is generally only for simulcasts and I have already said something about those shows in my first impressions. As always, seeing that I don't want this post to get excessively long that all completed shows have links to the post where their reviews are located, while I write up reviews for all continuing shows and give a brief word about the shows I dropped. Shows in Completed are shown in the order I watched the final episode for, shows in Ongoing are in listed with simulcasts first in alphabetical order, and then post-simulcasts in alphabetical order, and shows in dropped are in order starting with the shows I'm most likely to revisit at some point in the future to least. As for my reviews in the Ongoing section, grades refer only to the episodes I watched and not the series as a whole, and I will not review shows that I am in the middle of rewatching, OVAs that are part of a series, or for ongoing shows that I have watched less than 5 episodes of. So with that, onto the reviews.

* indicates a simulcast
          ^ indicates show being rewatched

Completed

Parasyte: A-
          Fairy Tail Zero: B+

Ojisan and Marshmallow (special): B-
          Black Butler: B+
          ^Fullmetal Alchemist: A
          Ranma 1/2: B+

Black Butler II: C+
          Bubblegum Crisis: B-
          Black Butler II Specials: B
          A Letter to Momo: B+

Black Butler: Book of Circus: A-
          Saber Marionette R: F
          Junkers Come Here: B
          Simoun: B
          True Tears: B+
          Alien Nine: B
          Stratos 4: C

Future Card Buddyfight 100: B-
          Sekirei: C

*Super Lovers: B
          Sekirei: Pure Engagement: B
          *The Asterisk War: B-
          ^Durarara!! x2: A-
          Seraph of the Endless: B
          *Kuma Miko: Girl Meets Bear: C+
          ^Psycho Pass 2: B-
          *Bakuon!!
          *Joker Game: B-
          *Anne Happy: B-
          *And You Thought There is Never a Girl Online?: B-
          *Space Patrol Luluco: B+

Yu Yu Hakusho: A
          *Kiznaiver
          *High School Fleet: B-
          *Flying Witch: B+
          *My Hero Academia: A
          *Pan de Peace!: C
          *Rainbow Days: B-
          *Usakame: D-
          *Wagamama High Spec: D

Yu Yu Hakusho: Eizou Hakusho: C
          ^Dimension W: B
          Fate/kaleid Liner Prisma Illya 2wei! Herz Specials: C
          Konosuba (OVA): B+

*Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress: B+
          *Assassination Classroom Second Season: A
          *Shonen Maid: B-
          *Haven't You Heard? I'm Sakamoto: B

Ongoing

*Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn Re:0096 (1-12): B+
          *Re:Zero -Starting Life in a Different World-: A
          *Twin Star Exorcists (1-12): C

Dragon Ball Z Kai (62-70): A-
          These episodes cover the Android Saga, and they provide some really nice buildup towards the Cell Saga. I really like that the Androids were humanized after initially starting out as just puppets.

Fairy Tail (204-233, 273-275): A-
          The first set of episodes covers the Eclipse Celestial Spirits arc, while episodes 273-275 are the remaining episodes of the Fairy Tail Zero story that I already reviewed. One thing that Fairy Tail does well with the fillers is that they find a way to fit it in the main story, and just like with the Infinity Clock arc it does just that to further Lucy's relationships with her Celestial Spirit pals. I like that this arc had so many twists and turns along the way with the characters unknowingly doing something that they shouldn't have done. Then after the arc was some pretty funny stuff before getting into the start of the Tartaros arc.

Hunter x Hunter (1-10): A-
          This show is supposed to be a masterpiece, and while I'm pretty sure I'll see this show that way in the end, it's not quite that way at the start. Still, it gets off to a very strong start introducing the characters and the whole concept of what being a hunter is all about.

^Mobile Suit Gundam: Iron-Blooded Orphans (1-4): B+

Naruto Shippuden (83-88): A-
          These episodes finish up the battle against two of the Akatsuki agents, and these are great episodes that show just how much Shikamaru and Naruto have evolved as characters, and in particular Shikamaru in figuring out the answer to a rhetorical question.

Pokemon XYZ (7-17): B-
          The show continues to be the same as usual in that I enjoy the adventures and the development Ash is going through. These episodes are more about Serena's road to the Master Class and I always enjoy seeing those, and it is nicely done given the show's format.

^Seraph of the End (1-12): B-

Dropped

Bungo Stray Dogs (6)
          Tanaka-kun is Always Listless (4)
          Three Leaves, Three Colors (4)
          Big Order (3)
          Hundred (3)
          Seisen Cerberus (3)
          Endride (3)
          Crane Game Girls (4)

Comment

Widgets Magazine
          Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
          Widgets Magazine
          Working...
          X