Widgets Magazine

Currently Watching (Spring 2016 Edition)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Spring 2016] Currently Watching (Spring 2016 Edition)

Widgets Magazine
    With the spring season in full bloom, it's time to start another Currently Watching thread for Spring 2016.

The link to the Winter 2016 Edition
    Spring 2016 Anime Chart
    Spring 2016 Anime Lineup Thread

Note
    - Change the title of your post to reflect the contents.
    - Do not use the Reply to Thread button; instead, click quote on the post you wish to reply to, or on this post if you're starting a new subthread.
    - Edit down the quoted section to the relevant bits, nobody needs to read someone's epic list of watched stuff twice.
    - Be nice to one another.
    - Please discuss only what you are watching this season in this thread. Stuff watched during other seasons should be discussed in their respective threads.

Also, I'd like to add the following. The Currently Watching Thread is mainly meant for a general overview of how you're currently feeling about shows. It is not supposed to be a replacement for actual discussion threads. Try to keep heavier discussion (if possible) in the more specific discussion threads.

In addition, try to be careful of spoilers here. It's one thing if it's properly tagged and such. However, I don't want people to have to worry about someone randomly posting "Wow, X died in episode 17 of Y". Just a randomly made up example, but you get the idea.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Lecia Ivyred, The Rising of the Shield Hero
    Watching: Kyo Kara Maoh, Pokemon Sun and Moon, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, DRO, CQK, RSH, AOT, BSD, FRB, OPM, KYB, FGN, SKS, MLA, SMT, HBS, KOT, MIX, WNL, KMA, FIL, IDM, ISQ, SRG, STW
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Buckeye's Spring 2016 Anime Viewership Plan

Time for me to do my usual viewership plan at the beginning of the season. Now that my usual winter catchup binge is over that it's time for me to resume watching all of those long series once again, as well as start a few shows. Like always, the list is tentative as not only will I not be able to get to everything on this list, but on the flipside there will be stuff that I will watch that's not on this list as well.

From the Beginning
    • Black Butler
    • Hunter x Hunter
    • Flame of Recca
    • Sekirei
    • Mushishi: Next Passage
    • Natsume's Book of Friends

Continuing Shows
    • Dragon Ball Z (from episode 62)
    • Durarara!! x2 (from episode 25)
    • Fairy Tail (from episode 203 and the last three episodes of Zero)
    • Fullmetal Alchemist (from episode 11)
    • Future Card Buddyfight 100 (from episode 39)
    • Naruto Shippuden (from episode 83)
    • Parasyte (from epiode 21)
    • Pokemon XYZ (from episode 6)
    • Ranma 1/2 (from episode 147)
    • Rurouni Kenshin (from episode 63)
    • Yu Yu Hakusho (from episode 26)

And like always, I will watch simulcasts from this season, and here is the link to the post on the anime lineup page to assess the preseason chances that I will watch each show (though Kuromukuro and Onigiri have been ruled OUT due to the shows streaming on Netflix and The Anime Network, respectively, and I'm not going to get a subscription just to watch those two shows, while Adventures of Sinbad could be OUT if it is a Netflix exclusive as rumors are pointing at): LINK

So to begin the season, I will wrap up Parasyte that's just finished its Toonami broadcast.
    Last edited by Buckeye; 04-19-2016, 11:40 AM.
    Simulcasts: FTL, DRO, CQK, RSH, AOT, BSD, FRB, OPM, KYB, FGN, SKS, MLA, SMT, HBS, KOT, MIX, WNL, KMA, FIL, IDM, ISQ, SRG, STW
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Buckeye's Spring 2016 Anime Viewership Plan

Before I get into first impressions, I am giving my usual informal selection process to give off an idea of what I'm thinking when deciding which shows make the cut on my watch list. Like always, I limit my list to 18 shows with standard-length episodes plus shorts up to 30 minutes of cumulative run time. In right off the bat are Assassination Classroom season 2, Rainbow Days, and Asterisk War, which are all continuing shows and in the case of Asterisk War, the second half of a split cour. My Hero Academia, Joker Game, Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress, and Re:Zero didn't take long to lock their spots in, and that leaves me with 11 shows to choose from.

This season has seen an unusually large number of shows skipped as there are several sequels to shows I have yet to watch (Jojo's, Terra Formars, Ushio and Tora, Rin-ne, Concrete Revolutio, and Sailor Moon Crystal) and simulcasts are becoming exclusive in more places than ever. Kuromukuro and Adventures of Sinbad (based on rumors and speculations at this point) are Netflix titles, and thus isn't available to watch legally during its broadcast period, while Onigiri is an Anime Network exclusive and not worth getting a subscription for, thus I skipped those. Since my family has an Amazon Prime subscription that Kabaneri doesn't meet the same fate as stuff on Netflix. As for shows that I pretty much am writing off barring a miraculous turnaround in the next episode or two are Cerberus, Hundred, Ace Attorney, and Endride, while Mayoiga and Tanaka-kun are on the cusp of reaching that level.

So that means to fill out the rest of my slate for standard length shows, there is Sansha Sanyou, Kumamiko, Bakuon, Twin Star Exorcist, Bungo Stray Dogs, Super Lovers, Anne Happy, Netoge, Shounen Maid, I'm Sakamoto, Kiznaiver, Haifuri, Flying Witch, and Gundam UC RE:0096, while I have no comment on Big Order right now as that show won't begin airing until Friday. So that means in all likelihood 15 shows are in the running for 11 slots. Of these shows, Bakuon, Sakamoto, Kiznaiver, and Flying Witch have a strong grip on their spots, but they have not clinched their spots.

As for shorts, I have Space Patrol Luluco (8 minutes), Pan de Peace (3), and Usakame (4) are all locked into their spots, while I am still deciding if I want to keep Crane Game Girls (4) and Wagamama High Spec (4). As I said before, Onigiri is automatically DQ'd as I'm not getting an Anime Network subscription just to watch this. So far, 15 minutes are accounted for with those three and if I decide to add both Crane Game and Wagamama, then it will still fit well under the limit.

Comment

Post-Simulcast Report: April 1-15

Here is the first post-simulcast report of the Spring 2016 season. Seeing that I am now focusing on making a dent on long series now that my winter binge has wrapped up that the Completed section should be shorter. In any case, here is everything that I watched from the first half of April.

Completed

Parasyte (21-24): A-
        This show is simply captivating seeing the emotional trauma the MC goes through. While it presents itself as a horror show, something that generally is not my personal taste, the horror aspect is mostly downplayed as the focus is on building relationships, between Shinichi and Migi, as well as between other parasytes both good and evil. For the majority of the show it accomplishes that and then some. But the ending was a big letdown as the transition to the final episode could have been handled better all while things just happened without much buildup or resolution. In any case, the thought-provoking aspect of this show is why it is such an awesome show.

Fairy Tail Zero (8-10): B+
        Alright, this is just the Zero prequel to show how Fairy Tail got started, and I watched the broadcast dub of this seeing that it isn't part of the main story. Anyway, the story is nicely constructed to show just how much willpower Mavis has in getting Fairy Tail started. It didn't exactly resolve every issue, but it does a great job in accomplishing its objective at the right pace.

Ongoing

[KSJ] Black Butler (1-10)
        [DBZ-K] Dragon Ball Z Kai (62-63)
        [FMA] Fullmetal Alchemist (rewatching, 11-44)
        [FCB-2] Future Card Buddyfight 100 (39-40)
        [PKM-XYZ] Pokemon XYZ (7-8)
        [RAN] Ranma 1/2 (147-155)
        [YYH] Yu Yu Hakusho (25-34)

Dropped

Nothing

Comment

Re: Currently Watching (Spring 2016 Edition)

Finally all caught up with everything, so let's go!

I've watched every episode of everything I haven't dropped and the first episode of everything I have unless otherwise noted. For those who read the regular discussion threads as well as the posts in these threads, note that I may be reusing some of my posts from those that I feel express my thoughts on a series well enough that there's no reason for me to make a point of saying something completely different.

New For Spring 2016:

01. JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken: Diamond wa Kudakenai (A-) It was obvious that the new JoJo was going to be the best show of the season, but it's still such a joy to see just how amazing this season has been from the start. Everything that's great about JoJo has been perfected by this point to avoid any of the missteps in prior parts, and the new protagonist is already a great character. Even the last part's protagonist, who appears as his main ally so far, is instantly more likable than he ever was when he was actually the main character, thanks to his growth throughout that ordeal and in his entry into adulthood in the time since.
          02. Koutetsujou no Kabaneri (A-) I really can't abbreviate my thoughts on this series (which is still only one episode so far due to earthquake coverage) to any state I would be content with, so I'll just link my review/history lesson of the first episode, which was well over twice as long as any review I've written in the past few years. As you can see by my higher grade here, I was right on the line as soon as I saw the episode, and since then I've decided that it deserves to be bumped up. I'm very interested to see how it progresses from here.
          03. Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu (B+) The studio behind Steins;Gate and many of the same staffers, including one of its writers leading the writing for this, bring similar time leap themes to what could otherwise be another one of the forgettable "transported to another world" series we see every season, instead delivering legitimately strong writing and thoroughly solid animation throughout. That's not to say it's not also that same kind of show we've gotten more than enough of and does have many of the trappings associated with it, but at least it includes something new and plays with those tropes in some of the same ways as KonoSuba, albeit less harshly. At any rate, with a good start (including a double-length premiere and a tendency to forego its OP and ED as well as never having previews or dedicated recap segments to allow for maximum time for content) and two cours confirmed, it has a lot of potential.
          04. Ushio to Tora (TV) 2nd Season (B) The final cour of the series picks up with major developments that cause perpetual tension for the characters and shed light on big revelations that change a lot. It seems unlikely to ever be a top-tier shounen action series, but the fact that we're getting the full story told for such an old series with this kind of pacing is still greatly appreciated.
          05. Boku no Hero Academia (B) One of the most hyped shows of the season, it certainly isn't blowing me away so far, but is definitely an entertaining hero story that will obviously grow to be something bigger as it goes on. It has great crossover potential as it's essentially a love letter to American comics, with a very strong artwork style and quality animation from a studio that generally delivers in that category. It's probably been getting slightly better in its first few episodes, so as it gets past the setup pieces and into its real story, I hope it can live up to the hype a bit more.
          06. Joker Game (B-) From Production I.G and Taku Kishimoto (writer of BokuMachi, the Haikyuu!! series, and Usagi Drop), I was hoping this would be something a bit more impressive, but for the time being it's merely interesting and very pretty, employing an aesthetic that is distinctly I.G and more often associated with their feature films. It tells a story of an agency of Japanese spies on the eve of World War II, seeming to be going for a format of moving the spotlight around the massive cast of main characters. It's a good concept and results in varied content, but also feels a bit incongruous and may not work out as well as would be ideal due to the number of characters to cover, the single cour they have at this point, and the need for something that feels like an ending. If they can work something better out, there's a lot of intrigue and intensity involved in the storytelling that isn't like many anime we see.
          07. Sakamoto desu ga? (B-) The title character being impossibly perfect and ridiculously fabulous while doing so seems to be the single joke this series is built on, which could be an unsustainable plan but is pretty damn hilarious at first. The production values are lousy, but at least the timing is on point. The question going forward is whether it will branch out beyond that one gag or just count on its necessary surplus of panache to carry it forward, and for whichever option it chooses, how well that will work. And I suppose the quality could just drop to a level that makes it unwatchable, but the material is keeping the balance on the positive side for now.
          08. Bungou Stray Dogs (B-) Another series from Bones, this one more notably has music from Taku Iwasaki (Rurouni Kenshin - Tsuiokuhen, Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann, and the Noragami series), which means the music is the best part of the series followed by the animation. It's otherwise not a bad show, but is generally unremarkable, highly predictable, and prone to spending a bit too much of its time on comedy that is largely not that funny, at least in the early stretch. Dazai is definitely the highlight of the cast of eccentrics on pretty much every level, so it's fortunate that he's usually around. Today's episode marked a much more serious turn for the plot, which may remedy many of its issues, but some of the foundations for emotional impact weren't where they needed to be.
          09. And you thought there is never a girl online? (B-) Despite having every indication of being trash, this turned out to be surprisingly very funny. The concept behind the title and how it's explored in the series related to the real world in ways that I couldn't help but laugh at, and even if it's all basically an excuse to assemble something of a harem, everything that goes into it is enjoyable enough for it to not bother me, and I'm not an MMO guy, or even a gamer really. It has every possibility of devolving into the gross pandering that I assumed it would be entirely, but at least it started as something a little different.
          10. Super Lovers (B-) I have no idea why the manga has such high ratings, but in three episodes this feels like as basic a BL show as you can get. More than I'm invested in what it's given us so far I think I'm just curious to see where it will go, because so far I haven't really been able to guess that, and that's the case now more than ever. Also, a lot of it (maybe the rest from here?) takes place in Canada, which is unusual.
          11. Kiznaiver (B-) If I stick with it, it will be only the second Trigger show for which that is true. It's an original with an interesting concept, great visuals, and inevitable absurdity while also being grounded enough for it to have a coherent narrative. What they've done with that so far hasn't been anything to really get excited about, and is occasionally a bit too dull and repetitive for something that teases so much creativity, so it remains one of the biggest question marks.
          12. Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn RE:0096 (B-) It's amazing how much the best Gundam anime can be damaged just by chopping it up for TV broadcast and throwing in some uninspired theme songs, new footage, and previews. I'll keep watching it for now just to see any new footage, but if it becomes too much of a slog I'll drop it.

Dropped:

13. Sousei no Onmyouji (C+) Clearly a lesser shounen series to work with in general, but the style the anime goes with is also something I'm not a fan of. I watched two episodes because it would've been the lowest B- after the first, but the developments that the second episode introduces for the plot going forward indicated a step in the wrong direction to me, so I don't see it being worth watching on the level I need things to be anymore.
          14. Flying Witch (C+) With a premise reminiscent of Kiki's Delivery Service but the execution of a simple iyashikei slice of life show, it has its good and bad. I like great iyashikei a lot, but this was a little too dull for my liking, especially as it seemed like the supernatural element it's predicated on wasn't integrated into the storytelling as well as it could've been.
          15. Tanaka-kun wa Itsumo Kedaruge (C+) Speaking of dull, this was like the mirror to Sakamoto, focused on its title character embodying one characteristic, but that characteristic being pure lethargy is unsurprisingly much less entertaining than it being over-the-top style. The humor surrounding that fact is admittedly amusing enough, but the very joke that's being told is something that just fundamentally doesn't work for keeping me engaged with a series.
          16. Big Order (TV) (C+) It couldn't be more obvious that this is by the creator of Mirai Nikki, to the point that its official site is just a page on Mirai Nikki's domain. The characterizations and storytelling are extremely similar, but everything that went wrong with Mirai Nikki is packed into its first episode with limited room for all the good things about it. It's a story about the main character getting to gradually rule everything in the world based on no merit of his own and he rapes his power into the first cute girl we're introduced to. Of course. Would you expect anything less?
          17. Kuma Miko (C) There are times I watch a show with talk (and images, albeit with censorship) of a bear having sex with a middle school girl and wonder if I made the right life choices. Especially when I actually find some other things (mainly Engrish) funny enough to laugh at in the same episode. Well, this is the first time that has happened specifically, but damn it's weird to be able to say that.
          18. Shounen Maid (C) This ended up being a lot more sincere than I expected, which was nice in a way but also didn't compel me to really care about any of the characters. It seems like the real appeal is meant to be dressing up a shota in a maid outfit and having him be cute and clean stuff, which is not something that appeals to me, even if the things it does to get there aren't as bad as that would suggest.
          19. High School Fleet (C) Another "cute girls doing military things" show. That has never appealed to me, and this is no exception. It's an Aniplex show, but not by a studio that produces great animation, so it doesn't look especially pretty either. Definitely one of the most easily dropped Aniplex series in a while.
          20. Uchuu Patrol Luluco (C) About what I'd expect of Imaishi directing a short, his sense of frenetic insanity packed into a time frame that allows for nothing more. That makes it easily better than the countless examples without directors who are so good at being so silly in such rapid bursts, but absolutely vapid and offering nothing beyond his standard novelty. Great ED, though; good to see him bringing on TeddyLoid again.
          21. Anne Happy♪ (C) Not as dull as many shows of its kind thanks to the unique and occasionally darkly humorous twist, but ultimately that doesn't shake up the formula enough for it to make up for the rest. My favorite moments were probably some of Botan's self-loathing, so if it had a bit more irreverence or cynicism I might find it amusing enough to stick through, but not as is.
          22. Mayoiga (C) This is just a perpetual onslaught of surreal weirdness. It always feels unintentionally funny, but so much so that it seems like it can't possibly be taking itself seriously, which makes it even worse. I guess the train wreck analogy works well here, because I was intensely curious to see it play out but the experience was almost entirely painful.
          23. Three Leaves, Three Colors (C) Probably the most straightforward cute girl show this season, there's almost nothing to set it apart. Its three characters have their simple character traits that set them apart from each other and spawn most of the gags, but there's not much else to it. It's not good, but it's not offensive or upsetting.
          24. Gyakuten Saiban: Sono "Shinjitsu", Igi Ari! (C-) This is not how you adapt a game into a TV series. It's the cheapest product possible, clearly meant to capture some easy nostalgia from familiarity of those who apparently can't discern any lack of quality or to sell the games to people who are convinced by a commercial the length of full episodes every week, again regardless of quality. This could've been very fun and creative if they cared, but they so did not.
          25. Seisen Cerberus: Ryuukoku no Fatalités (C-) Not surprising this is based on a mobile game. It was a sloppy, tepid fantasy story with little emotional resonance and unbelievably lousy production values. With some care in the right places this formula could turn into something worthwhile, but this one is too lacking in its initial offering to warrant any further attention.
          26. Hundred (C-) I'm used to shows being so completely comprised of tropes that they just blend together, but this is so exactly Infinite Stratos that it almost makes Infinite Stratos seem to be somewhat unique as a result. That's a feat that can be accomplished only be such an impressive lack of originality.
          27. Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou (D+) I really can't imagine who this appeals to. Certainly not anime fans, but it doesn't seem like the kind of thing that work for kids either. At any rate it does in fact exist, so there must've been someone in mind. It's a bizarre concept, especially to predicate a series on, and the artwork and animation are basically as minimal as you can get and still call it an animated series.
          28. Bakuon!! (D+) If there's anything I cared about in the first episode of this series, it's that it really looked like a Yowamushi Pedal character made a cameo at the beginning. But the series itself is a cute girl show with motorcycles as its gimmick, an obnoxiously stupid protagonist, some weird sexuality from the perspective of... a motorcycle, and generally ugly production values.
          29. Shounen Ashibe: Go! Go! Goma-chan (D) It's as much a kids' show as you can get. It's easy to write it off as such, but so many kids' shows are far better than they need to be to appeal to just kids, so it's not as if this couldn't be any better just because of its intended demographic. I guess it might just be for such young kids that anything outside of the direct focus they're going for could distract and confuse too much, but there's always opportunity to make something better than this.
          30. Endride (D) I don't know if it's a testament to how common they're becoming or just how soulless the show is, but I'm starting to be able to immediately tell when a series is associated with specifically a smartphone game of all things. This one isn't even an existing game that's just being adapted now, instead being launched at about the same time, but it's at least as bad as anything else of its kind.
          31. Pan de Peace! (D) Three minutes of cute girls being cute about bread for no apparent reason other than its use as a random moe quirk with meaningless yuri to try to pander a bit more. Some of its elements could work under different circumstances, but this is just a bad show on every level beyond anything that I can make excuses for.
          32. Wagamama High Spec (D-) A few seconds of shameless ecchi, an OP, and a non-animated informational segment. Apparently based on an eroge, the protagonist of which made no appearance in that first episode. I think the "post-OP" bit that would be akin to a preview in full series might've actually been longer than the episode proper, or maybe it just felt that way. I certainly don't feel inspired to go check.
          33. Usakame (D-) Since Fall 2012, the Teekyuu anime has had seven seasons and two spinoff series, both of which have been adapted into their own anime series. What a fascinating franchise. I hate it all, this anime adaptation of the second of those two spinoff series worst of all (so far), but damn it's fascinating.
          34. Onigiri (D-) I wasted a trial to the Anime Network to watch this three-minute commercial for some online game that looks so bad, the only consolation I can think of is that it can't possibly be as bad as this "adaptation" that must only exist to get people to learn that the game exists. On that level it worked on me, but only by way of purely negative association.
          35. Bishoujo Yuugi Unit Crane Game Girls (F) Just as JK Meshi! finished up, its creators began a new series. And it's actually even worse. That's amazing. Can they keep that trend up? I can hardly wait to find out.

After the last two seasons, this one is of course a bit underwhelming in comparison, but that was inevitable. I knew JoJo would guarantee at least one great series, and I hoped Kabaneri would live up to some part of its pedigree, so it's good to have those, along with Re:Zero, which I had no expectations for but have consistently been impressed by. Other than those, there are a couple other solid but not amazing (thus far) shounen action series, but seven of the twelve series I didn't drop are B- and most have been slipping downward, so it's not a season with a ton of quality and I may end up dropping some more series by the time they're done. It is a higher number of new shows I'm keeping than the past couple of seasons, but as I'll cover at the end, I have so few shows still running from previous seasons that I'll still be watching less than ever this season. With so much having just ended, this season had to be pretty huge, so to see so few that stand out in any way is a bit disappointing even if I'm thankful for the few that there are.

Everything I'm Watching:

Here's everything, including everything listed above. This is here to show the overall ranking (and movement for end-of-season posts) of everything in relation to everything else.

01. JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken: Diamond wa Kudakenai (A-)
          02. One Piece (A-)
          03. Naruto: Shippûden (A-)
          04. Dragon Ball Super (A-)
          05. Koutetsujou no Kabaneri (A-)
          06. Detective Conan (B+)
          07. Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu (B+)
          08. Ansatsu Kyoushitsu (TV) 2nd Season (B+)
          09. Ushio to Tora (TV) 2nd Season (B)
          10. Boku no Hero Academia (B)
          11. Joker Game (B-)
          12. Sakamoto desu ga? (B-)
          13. Bungou Stray Dogs (B-)
          14. And you thought there is never a girl online? (B-)
          15. Super Lovers (B-)
          16. Kiznaiver (B-)
          17. Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn RE:0096 (B-)

Dropped:

18. Sousei no Onmyouji (C+)
          19. Flying Witch (C+)
          20. Tanaka-kun wa Itsumo Kedaruge (C+)
          21. Big Order (TV) (C+)
          22. Kuma Miko (C)
          23. Shounen Maid (C)
          24. High School Fleet (C)
          25. Uchuu Patrol Luluco (C)
          26. Anne Happy♪ (C)
          27. Mayoiga (C)
          28. Three Leaves, Three Colors (C)
          29. Gyakuten Saiban: Sono "Shinjitsu", Igi Ari! (C-)
          30. Seisen Cerberus: Ryuukoku no Fatalités (C-)
          31. Hundred (C-)
          32. Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou (D+)
          33. Bakuon!! (D+)
          34. Shounen Ashibe: Go! Go! Goma-chan (D)
          35. Endride (D)
          36. Pan de Peace! (D)
          37. Wagamama High Spec (D-)
          38. Usakame (D-)
          39. Onigiri (D-)
          40. Bishoujo Yuugi Unit Crane Game Girls (F)

Weekly Schedule:

Sunday (3): Dragon Ball Super, Re:Zero kara Hajimeru Isekai Seikatsu, Boku no Hero Academia
          Monday (0):
          Tuesday (1): Joker Game
          Wednesday (3): Detective Conan, Bungou Stray Dogs, Super Lovers
          Thursday (4): Naruto: Shippûden, Koutetsujou no Kabaneri, Ansatsu Kyoushitsu (TV) 2nd Season, And you thought there is never a girl online?
          Friday (3): JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken: Diamond wa Kudakenai, Ushio to Tora (TV) 2nd Season, Sakamoto desu ga?
          Saturday (3): One Piece, Kiznaiver, Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn RE:0096

Well under 20 series! With the way things are headed, it may be even less before too long. Considering it took me most of this month to even catch up on the first episodes of these new shows with so few continuing, I am perfectly okay with that, especially since Summer 2016 already seems to have way more required viewing, which is really weird. Despite so few of the same series airing, the count per day is remarkably similar to last season, with the lower number accounted for by nothing on Monday. Only one show between Monday and Tuesday actually works out really well for me, since I'll generally be catching up on everything from Friday to Sunday on those two days, and the other days are again very balanced. The only two days I'm pretty much guaranteed to be caught up have the two series I'm currently reviewing, one on each, so that also works out pretty well. As mentioned above, the season is weak compared to the last couple, so that immediately following the end of the latest Gintama season makes this my weakest overall lineup in quite a while. At least this season did bring JoJo to keep the outlook from being too depressing. We'll see how this season plays out, and I almost fear how packed the next looks to be...
          My Top Anime | Manga
          My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
          My FP Reviews | Twitter
          FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Buckeye's Spring 2016 Anime Viewership Plan: First Impressions

Time for first impressions now that I have seen at least two episodes of every show this season that has a realistic shot of making the cut. This season has seen an unusually large number of shows that I have skipped as there are several sequels to shows I haven't watched yet, and on top of that simulcasts are getting more and more fragmented with new steaming services entering the exclusive simulcast business. So this season, I have added a fourth category. So like always, I have tiers that determine how likely I am to keep the show using injury report terminology. Probable means I heavily leaning towards watching that show if I haven't decided to do so already, Questionable means I am still deciding on the show, and Doubtful means I either I have dropped the show or for shows I have yet to drop, it will need a miraculous turnaround in the next episode or two for me to watch. And new to this season, Out means I am skipping completely. For the sake of keeping this list short, I am listing a show as out if:
            1. I did not watch a single episode of the show.
            2. It's a show that begins this season (i.e. no continuing shows)
            3. Streaming rights of the show have been picked up (i.e. it has to be announced for streaming somewhere)

So with that, here are my first impressions.

PROBABLE
            [ASC-2] Assassination Classroom Second Season - Continuing from winter. This seasson figures to be pretty serious as it rounds the home stretch.
            [RWD] Rainbow Days - Continuing from winter. This show continues to be fun to watch these boys getting into their relationships.
            [ASW] The Asterisk War - Continuing from fall. This season is much better than the first as it's more focused and action oriented.
            [BKO] Bakuon!! - Cute girls and motorcycles make for a fun show. It helps that it feels just like K-On! with the kind of atmosphere this show evokes.
            [IMS] Haven't You Heard? I'm Sakamoto - This show is really funny, and Sakamoto looking very cool in the face of danger makes for a laughfest.
            [JKG] Joker Game - This whole story about espionage is nicely told and so full of intrigue. The characters are interesting seeing as they have thrown away their identities for the sake of their cause.
            [KIF] Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress - It's pretty much a copycat of Attack on Titan this is the same production team behind this show, but it's a copy executed to perfection with great animation, a well-constructed story, and spectacular action.
            [MHA] My Hero Academia - This is the most hyped-up show of the season, and it has delivered. The show has great characters and a nice story for the MC about wanting to become a hero against all odds.
            [REZ] Re:Zero - Just an amazing show all-around using its gimmick effectively to tell a well-constructed story. It also helps that the first episode is double in length to set the stage for big things to go down.
            [PDP] Pan de Peace! (short) - Three minutes of cuteness and bread sure does hit the spot.
            [UPL] Space Patrol Luluco (short) - This show is Trigger doing all sorts of crazy things that they are known for, and these shorts are very amusing.
            [TEQ-U] Usakame (short) - It's still part of Teekyu even if it is a big change with the watercolor animation and the slower pace.

QUESTIONABLE
            [FLW] Flying Witch - Very relaxing show this is, and it makes for a nice show to watch.
            [KNV] Kiznaiver - This show has a pretty interesting concept of kids being on a system where they feel each other's pain when it happens. This could very well lead to some really serious stuff happening later on.
            [MSG-U96] Mobile Suit Gundam: Unicorn Re:0096 - This is the TV broadcast version of the OVA series, and having not seen the OVA, I can tell that the way the cuts are handled isn't the smoothest possible. That said, this incarnation has been great so far, but Gundam shows are known for being overly complicated, and this one is in the same boat.
            [KMM] Kuma Miko: Girl Meets Bear - Very cute and funny show this is. I just love how Machi does silly stuff in this show.
            [AHP] Anne Happy - This is such a stupid show, but nevertheless it uses its stupidity very well to make me laugh. The characters are cute as well, so it's all good even if the show itself isn't.
            [NGO] And you thought there is Never a girl online? - This show has been a pleasant surprise as the characters are growing on me, all while Ako's inability to differentiate game from reality is amusing. The big test will be how much Ako grows out of the state that ultimately determines how good or bad the show is.
            [SHM] Shounen Maid - This show is all about the characters, and they are a cute and lovable bunch. The story has some nice humor as well even if it isn't the most creative.
            [HSF] High School Fleet - This is a show that could go a number of directions seeing that it's about a crew of girls navigating through treacherous waters as they are being targeted by hostiles. It hasn't been the best of shows, but there's the intrigue of not knowing where the show is headed that makes it worth watching.
            [SUL] Super Lovers - This BL show is nicely done as there's a nice mixture of comedy and seriousness in this show. While not my cup of tea, I'm enjoying this show a lot more than I thought I would.
            [BSD] Bungo Stray Dogs - This show is a nice action-oriented show with some comedy mixed in. The characters are really something, all while the action is great, but the comedy is a different story as I find it to be poorly used.
            [TSX] Twin Star Exorcists - This show has great action and interesting characters, but the way the show tells the story leaves something to be desired.
            [BOR] Big Order - It's by the same guy who did Future Diary, and this show hasn't had the best story to start, but there is lots of intrigue in it. The characters are the weakest part of Future Diary, and in this show they are somewhat of an improvement.
            [3S3] Three Leaves, Three Colors - It's cute, funny, fun, and intriguing. But of the cute girls doing cute things shows this season, I'm enjoying this one the least. Not to mention, of the other shows of this type, this one doesn't offer much that hasn't been covered already in the genre.
            [WHS] Wagamama High Spec (short) - This show is what I have come to expect out of a short. The girls are cute and they are doing weird things, which is enough for a show with the run length it has.
            [CGG] Crane Game Girls (short) - It's by the same team that did JK Meshi, and while it is an improvement in that it actually does what it sets out to do full-heartedly, the animation is just an eye sore.

DOUBTFUL
            [TKI] Tanaka-kun is Always Listless - The show's gimmick is amusing the first time around, but the jokes and stuff are growing increasingly stale. The show makes the best of the situation by introducing characters, but the appeal just isn't there for me.
            [MYG] Mayoiga: The Lost Village - This show has an intriguing mystery and horror aspect, but for the most part I have been facepalming at all the stupidity with the characters. It's one thing for the characters to be broken, but it's another for them to be acting the way they have been.
            [HUN] Hundred - It's a show that is horribly lacking in creativity, and the story is just stuff thrown together.
            [CER] Seisen Cerberus - Just a boring show to watch as not much happens. There's the big evil established at the beginning, but the show doesn't really cut it.
            [GYS] Ace Attorney - This feels more like an advertisement for the game than anything. There's so much stupidity and poorly-executed stories going on.
            [ENR] Endride - Boring overall, and the characters are a bland bunch.

OUT
            Concrete Revolutio season 2 - Sequel, and I haven't watched the previous season.
            Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable - Sequel, and I haven't watched the previous season.
            Kuromukuro - Netflix exclusive, and thus it can't be watched until after the season.
            Magi: Adventures of Sinbad - Netflix exclusive, and thus it can't be watched until after the season.
            Mysterious Joker season 3 - Sequel, and I haven't watched the previous season.
            Rin-ne season 2 - Sequel, and I haven't watched the previous season.
            Sailor Moon Crystal III - Sequel, and I haven't watched the previous season.
            Shonen Ashibe GO! GO! Goma-chan - Not interested in this show at all.
            Terra Formars Revenge - Sequel, and I haven't watched the previous season.
            Ushio and Tora season 2 - Sequel, and I haven't watched the previous season.
            Kagewane II (short) - Sequel, and I haven't watched the previous season.
            Onigiri (short) - The Anime Network exclusive, and I won't subscribe just for this short.
            Tonkatsu DJ Agetaro (short) - Not interested in this show at all.

So far, nine shows have locked their spots that is full length, while there are 13 shows in the Questionable tier in the running for the remaining nine spots. Seeing that I am skipping an awful lot of stuff this season that cutting down to size has been easy, but the final cuts are always difficult.

Comment

Spring 2016 Simulcast Rankings: April

A month's worth of simulcasts has aired, so that means it is time for my first of three simulcast rankings. Like always with the first month of rankings, I rank everything and I indicate whether the show is in (black), out (red), or I'm still making a decision on it (blue). Some shows still haven't aired through its trial period (four episodes), while I decided that up to two more shows may be dropped after its extended trial period (six episodes). As this is the spring and the start of baseball season, all of my tier names are converted to baseball terminology. So that means Home Run, Base Hit, Walk, Flyout, and Strikeout replace Touchdown, Field Goal, First Down, Punt, and Fumble, respectively, as tier names. Like always, these rankings are based only on the episodes that air this season, so for shows continuing on from the previous season, it's ranking will not be influenced by what happened in the previous season.

Home Run
              Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress
              Re:Zero
              My Hero Academia
              Assassination Classroom Second Season

Base Hit
              Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn RE:0096
              Haven't You Heard? I'm Sakamoto
              Joker Game
              Kiznaiver
              Super Lovers

Walk
              Bungo Stray Dogs
              And you though there is Never a girl online?
              Flying Witch
              Kumamiko
              The Asterisk War
              High School Fleet
              Bakuon!!
              Space Patrol Luluco
              Shounen Maid
              Rainbow Days
              Tanaka-kun is Always Listless
              Twin Star Exorcists
              Anne Happy
              Three Colors, Three Leaves

Flyout
              Pan de Peace!
              Mayoiga
              Big Order
              Hundred
              Wagamama High Spec

Strikeout
              Usakame
              Seisen Cerberus
              Ace Attorney
              Endride
              Crane Game Girls

This season has a relatively short drop list as I skipped a lot more shows this season than usual with numerous sequels to shows I haven't watched, and with two other shows being snapped up by Netflix meaning no legal streams during its broadcast. So in all, 12 standard length shows and one half length show (Rainbow Days) along with four shorts (Luluco, Pan de Peace, Wagahigh, and Usakame) have clinched their spots, leaving five or six more slots to decide between eight shows.

Anyway, this season is shaping up to be a mediocre one. While there are four shows that are top shelf material, most of the shows have been around average as the middle tier is quite crowded. It generally is crowded during the first month seeing that I would like to see if it rises or tanks once I see more of the show, but this season it's even more crowded than usual. As for the continuing shows, AssClass finally cracks the top tier again with some pretty serious stuff going on in this month's episodes, while Rainbow Days stays entertaining, and Asterisk War is getting much better now that there's more action and an intriguing scheme in the works going on. Kabaneri is the best show of the season at this point, and while it is essentially copying Attack on Titan, its production values are just off the charts, and it certainly helps that Wit got a much larger budget than usual for this show thanks to Fuji's exclusive deal with Amazon that is believed to be the biggest deal ever for an anime title. My Hero Academia was the most hyped show of the season, and so far it has been justified, while Re:Zero is just brilliantly written.

So with that, this is the first monthly ranking of the season, and the next two will not include any dropped shows.

Comment

Re: Currently Watching (Spring 2016 Edition)

I have a number of thoughts on a few currently airing series that don't have discussion threads, so figured I'd just make a post here. Though if anyone else wants to discuss one of the following series, let me know and I can start a thread going forward (likely to be continuing on these).

Sailor Moon Crystal (Death Busters Arc) (27-31)
                Even with some signs of hope with the staff shakeup and a nostalgic interest in this story arc (as it's where I jumped in with the original anime series at the start of my anime fandom), I'm still rather surprised just how much this actually does feel like a step up from what came before with this version of the series. Grabbed my attention early from how the OP had a bit of Chibiusa/Hotaru focus, and they get to that in the show rather early too. There's a kind with that pair there that's long interested me in anime (going back to other shows besides Sailor Moon). Haruka and Michiru's relationship tends to get the most attention (and they get the first ED of it), though it's interesting how it feels like it's been more about their approaches to Usagi and Mamoru thus far than each other. That gets me to thinking there's bi and transgender themes to this season on top of the yuri. Was interesting to see how Minako used her disguise pen at one point.

12-sai.: Chicchana Mune no Tokimeki (1-4)
                I always talk about how I'm happy to get some shoujo series that aren't magical girl or toy-related, as they tend to be less of them these days (we can go by some seasons without), but this rather interestingly seems to be an even rarer breed of shoujo anime. Haven't really come across many that are specifically about the various coming-of-age issues for a girl. Only other one I can think of that I've watched is Mizuiro Jidai, a show from the mid 90's that I happened to check out not too long ago. The lead girl Hanabi is sweet and cute as I would expect of this kind of series, but I think even more of my interest was with her very moe best friend Yui. There's some heartwarming moments of support with those two (particularly Hanabi being there for Yui, who is coming of age without a female presence at home) that go beyond just their budding feelings for boys. Even on that regard, it's nice that it doesn't start out with any love triangle, and both have their own particular pairing. Yui's relationship with Hiyama is cute in how they're both awkward with each other but they're able to move things forward recognizing how they are.

Kuromukuro (1-4)
                This is one that has been a rather pleasant surprise. I do tend to expect interesting things of P.A. Works, but they sometimes stumble (see Glasslip) and frankly it's very rare that I'm into something of the mecha genre. But despite the fact that we're thrust into some action at the start as is common of the genre, it feels like it developed it's characters well up to the point (in episode 4) where we get to have more of a breather with no enemies immediately at hand. Female lead Yukina is rather likeable in how she reacts to the crazy situations she's thrust into. It's a shame this came up a bit too late for the "fish out of water" pool, as the feudal-era samurai awakening in the present thing we get here ended up being handled better than I expected at first. There's some good comedy with his reactions to technology, clothing, etc. we can expect in anime (and love Yukina's adorable little samurai enthusiast sister interacting with him), but they also touch well enough on a more serious psychological side to his situation. I guess I'll see when we get back to the mecha action if it continues to hold interest, though there's still a number of things that intrigue me. Hasn't been much to the character of the cool blonde schoolmate Sophie yet, so curious to see what role she will play as it goes forward.

Ragnastrike Angels (1-5)
                This takes the "short" of TV shorts to its extreme of 30 seconds per episode, and it's basically just a glorified commercial for the upcoming game which I'll likely never be able to play, but what's there has been reasonably appealing to me regardless. It's rather slice-of-life and quirky in character starting at the second episode (going past the first which is more like a PV for the game and wonder if it will even relate much to the rest of the anime). Ayano's on the level of this season's Tanaka in her laxness and would rather stay snug under her kotatsu (Wakaba Girl's Wakaba was right about the dangers ) than go out and save the world. But it still hews to that slice of life, quirky nature in ways that are somewhat charming as she's finally dragged out, gigantified, and prepared for battle. It's obviously not staying slice-of-life with an actual threat to face upcoming, but I'd be happy if it continues to be quirky in a way I like at least with the action component. I guess having the voice of Kumiko (such a nice voice for a laid-back character) here and Kurehito Misaki's character designs helps things too.

Comment

Post-Simulcast Report: April 16-30

I'm due another simulcast report, but I was so sidetracked that I forgot to post the one for the latter half of April. So here it is, and I still have to do my end-of-season post for the winter. I do plan on getting to that soon, but for now it's one thing at a time. As usual, stuff watched after its broadcast, as well as OVA, specials, and movies are here.

Completed

Ojisan and Marshmallow (special): B-
                  Pretty funny three minutes this is as this episode pretty much feeds off of what the TV shorts did right.

Black Butler (11-24, OVA): B+
                  For the first two-thirds of this series, the series does an excellent job in character development, drama, comedy, and action to set a great foundation. However, once the show gets into filler material midway through, things start to fall apart as many anime-exclusive characters show up and so many things happen that are not well-connected. The way the story is constructed once it reaches filler territory is just a letdown, albeit it's still decent stuff. In all, it's a great show when it follows the manga.

Fullmetal Alchemist (rewatched, 45-51): A
                  This is an excellent show and you know it from the start that a tremendous story is being built. The characters are great, the comedy is used very effectively, the story is smartly constructed, and the production values are just off the charts with the drama going on about the philosopher's stone. However, the show starts to lose its way a bit once it stops following the manga midway through and embarks on something that doesn't exactly get resolved in the best of ways. Still, Seiji Mizushima and company do an excellent job in directing this masterpiece manga when it is followed, while the filler in the second half is nicely constructed and somewhat along the lines of what Hiromu Arakawa intended to happen that gets realized in Brotherhood.

Ranma 1/2 (156-161): B+
                  After 20 years, I finally finished the first anime series I ever watched seeing that I stopped watching new episodes after four seasons in. But I did get to the end now that Viz has given it the BD treatment. It's a show I totally fell in love with in my early days of anime fandom, and for good reason as the characters are great, the comedy is outrageously funny, and the crazy martial arts action is just amazing. However, this show starts to lose its way opting to go episodic without really building relationships, and the result is a mixed bag. That said, the beginning is the most critical part seeing that I got hooked on this show, and that was very nicely done to propel this to a special place in my heart as an anime fan.

Ongoing

[DBZ-K] Dragon Ball Z Kai (64-67)
                  [FTL] Fairy Tail (204-215)
                  [FCB-2] Future Card Buddyfight 100 (41-42)
                  [HXH] Hunter x Hunter (1-3)
                  [YYH] Yu Yu Hakusho (35-55)

Dropped

Nothing
                  Last edited by Buckeye; 05-16-2016, 01:17 PM.

Comment

Post-Simulcast Report: May 1-15

And here's the post-simulcast report for the first half of May.

Completed

Black Butler II (1-12): C+
                    This season is all completely filler, and it's pretty bad as I absolutely hate those characters exclusive to this season. The action and comedy are still nice to watch in this season, while the story concept is decent, and the animation and music are still incredible. This season doesn't leave things hanging like the first season did, which is a great things seeing that this season was definitely created out of the need to milk this cash cow of a franchise rather than to say true to its roots, which is what Book of Circus would end up doing. But of course, this season gets away from what it does best, and the result is a pretty painful season to watch.

Bubblegum Crisis (1-8): B-
                    Seeing that this show was about to expire on Hulu that I decided now would be the ideal time to watch this show. I did watch Tokyo 2040 and I noticed quite a big difference aside from the animation in that the story's structure is episodic with each episode (except for the first three) standing out on its own. Anyway, this show was nice to watch for the intensifying drama where things blow up into a great crisis. However, I just felt too much disconnect with the show as a whole seeing that there are lots of one-shot characters to keep straight, all while things just happen without much explanation or clarification.

Black Butler II Specials (1-6): B
                    These are very amusing to watch and for being specials, they are nicely done. This is how a special OVA that's mostly unrelated to the main TV series should be done. The Ciel in Wonderland episodes are hilarious, the otome game parody and behind the scenes episodes are pretty amusing, while the inside stories of the Trancy family and the life of the Grim Reapers is good. Pretty much, these are enjoyable for the comedy and the backstories that would feel out-of-place in the main series.

A Letter to Momo (movie): B+
                    This is a nice movie about getting over a tough hand life has dealt. This type of movie has been done time and time again, but nevertheless the story is pretty solid while character growth is tremendous. The movie starts out pretty badly with the characters being so irritating grating, but I did warm up to them as the way the story progresses is great towards the climax.

Ongoing

[FTL] Fairy Tail (216-218)
                    [FCB-2] Future Card Buddyfight 100 (43-44)
                    [PKM-XYZ] Pokemon XYZ (9-12)
                    [NAR-2] Naruto Shippuden (83-86)
                    [SIM] Simoun (1-3)
                    [YYH] Yu Yu Hakusho (56-66)

Dropped

Nothing

Comment

Buckeye's Spring 2016 Anime Viewership Plan: Finalized Slate

So after making some tough decisions in regards to my finalized watchlist, here it is. These are the shows I will be watching this season in the order they secured their spots:

Watching
                      Rainbow Days
                      The Asterisk War
                      My Hero Academia
                      Joker Game
                      Bakuon!!
                      Kiznaiver
                      Kuma Miko: Girl Meets Bear
                      Super Lovers
                      Shonen Maid
                      Flying Witch
                      Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn Re:0096
                      High School Fleet
                      And you thought there is Never a girl online?
                      Anne Happy
                      Twin Star Exorcists
                      Space Patrol Luluco (short)
                      Pan de Peace! (short)
                      Usakame (short)
                      Wagamama High Spec (short)

Dropped/On Hold
                      Bungo Stray Dogs
                      Tanaka-kun is Always Listless
                      Three Leaves, Three Colors
                      Big Order
                      Hundred
                      Seisen Cerberus
                      Endride
                      Crane Game Girls (short)

The droplist this season is shorter than usual as I skipped quite a lot of shows this season, with most of them being sequels to shows I didn't watch (Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, Terra Formars, Ushio and Tora, Sailor Moon Crystal, Rin-ne, and Concrete Revolutio), as well as there being two shows that I would have checked out, but they are Netflix exclusives meaning that it's not streaming until after the season (Kuromukuro and Magi: Adventures of Sinbad), and one show that's not worth signing up for The Anime Network (Onigiri). It turns out I needed every one of those slots seeing that as usual, it's never an easy task to prune down my watchlist to size.

So as usual, I explain how the process of getting my watchlist down went. First of all, the continuing shows and sequels to shows I have watched are automatically in with AssClass, Rainbow Days, and Asterisk War. My Hero Academia, Re:Zero, Joker Game, and Kabaneri were all in after just one episode as they all made a strong impression out of the gates. In the case of Joker Game, being the only Tuesday show was the primary reason why it was in so quickly, while My Hero Academia was a lock from the start even before it aired, something that rarely happens.

Next set of shows added took a few episodes, but overall they were never in any realistic danger of being dropped. Bakuon made it as it's essentially K-On! with motorcycles instead of music, while Kiznaiver has a story full of intrigue, and Sakamoto is very funny. At this point, ten shows were in, and I had room for eight slots as I had some serious reservations about each of the remaining shows on the list, but it was deciding between eight shows out of about 11 shows meaning that a good number of these shows were in, but I had to make sure before they clinched their spot. Seeing that Sundays were pretty crowded that I decided that only one or the other between Sansha Sanyou and Kuma Miko would make it, and Kuma Miko's comedy won me over, while I felt that Sansha Sanyou's humor was just too dry and of the cute girls doing cute things show, I was enjoying that show the least. Thus Kuma Miko got in. Then I had to decide that one Wednesday show must go between Twin Star Exorcists, Bungo Stray Dogs, and Super Lovers, and seeing that Super Lovers is more of the complete package between those three that I locked it in. As for which of the other two stays, that came down to the wire. Shonen Maid got better and more enjoyable as more characters get introduced, so that show didn't take long to get its spot. Flying Witch is fun, but it didn't really get me hooked until the third episode.

As for the final spots, I decided that Gundam Unicorn would be more of a side show, so that show got in without taken a spot (or more specifically, it would take a spot while Rainbow Days would be grouped with the shorts). While High School Fleet isn't exactly something that blew me away, its drama and intrigue was enough to keep me interested. Netoge was surprisingly good given the low expectations for something made by Project No. 9, and the chemistry between characters won me over. And at this point, I had two more spots between three shows in Anne Happy, Bungo Stray Dogs, and Twin Star Exorcists that were all given extended trial periods. Anne Happy is funny while the characters are great, so that show was in. As for the last spot between Exorcists and Bungo, I was simply more interested in Twin Star Exorcists while Bungo Stary Dogs is something I think I prefer to marathon just before the second cour begins, so Exorcists got the final spot. However, given the show's length spanning four cours that I think that I will only lock it in through the end of the season seeing that at this point, it's going to be awhile before the show gets into the better parts of the manga, so I'll decide on this series once those parts play out.

And then there are the shorts, and in right off the bat are Luluco and Pan de Peace, while Usakame, being a spinoff of Teekyu, didn't take long to get in. Since Luluco is the only USAT show that I could potentially watch with Manaria Friends being pulled and Kagewani being a sequel to something that I didn't watch that pretty much all Luluco had to do was not stink, and it's certainly one of the better shorts out there. Then I had a decision to make regarding Wagamama High Spec and Crane Game Girls seeing that I could only take on one of those series if I am to count Rainbow Days among the shorts. Wagahigh had interesting characters, while I just hate the animation style Crane Game Girls has, so Wagamama High Spec is the last short in.

So with that, here's a breakdown of my weekly schedule:

Sunday (5): My Hero Academia, Pan de Peace!, Rainbow Days, Kuma Miko, Re:Zero
                      Monday (3): Bakuon!!, Usakame, Wagamama High Spec
                      Tuesday (1): Joker Game
                      Wednesday (2): Twin Star Exorcists, Super Lovers
                      Thursday (4): Anne Happy, And you thought there is Never a girl online?, Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress, Assassination Classroom season 2
                      Friday (3): Space Patrol Luluco, Shonen Maid, Haven't You Heard? I'm Sakamoto
                      Saturday (5): Asterisk War, Kiznaiver, High School Fleet, Flying Witch, Gundam Unicorn Re:0096

Overall, the slate is heavy on Thursday, Saturdays, and Sundays with at least four shows that day, while Mondays and Tuesdays are light with only one standard-length show, and Wednesdays have two shows. Fridays are surprisingly light for me as many of the shows that day are sequels to stuff I have yet to watch, while Mayoiga and Big Order are stinkers, and I can't watch Adventures of Sinbad that's exclusively on Netflix, leaving only the two TBS shows that are actually Thursday shows in Japan and the short Luluco. But once again, I'm able to get at least one show for every day of the week that I always strive for when creating my watchlist.

Comment

Spring 2016 Simulcast Rankings: May

It's the end of May, which means it's time for the second of three seasonal rankings. Like always, I rank the shows and indicate whether the show is getting better (green) or worse (red) based on the episodes watched throughout the month of May. Once again, rankings are based only on episodes that have aired during this season only (i.e. what happened in the winter season for AssClass and Rainbow Days as well as the first season of Asterisk War does not factor into the leaderboard, but it will affect the final grade).

Home Run
                        My Hero Academia

Base Hit
                        Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn RE:0096
                        Kiznaiver
                        The Asterisk War (Promoted)
                        Flying Witch (Promoted)
                        Super Lovers

Space Patrol Luluco (Promoted)

Walk
                        Joker Game (Demoted)
                        And you thought there is never a girl online?
                        Shonen Maid
                        Bakuon!!
                        Kumamiko: Girls Meets Bear
                        Rainbow Days
                        High School Fleet
                        Anne Happy
                        Twin Star Exorcists

Flyout
                        Pan de Peace!
                        Wagamama High Spec

Strikeout
                        Usakame

Rising

The Asterisk War - This show has been getting better ever since it's generic and cliche-ridden start had lead to a lot of problems. These episodes do what this show does best, which is the action. And character growth has been put on display here seeing that there are just so many characters to keep track of.

Flying Witch - After a slow start where I was having a hard time figuring out what this show is trying to accomplish, this show has settled in doing what it had set out to do, and that is a relaxing slice-of-life atmosphere with supernatural stuff. These episodes accomplish that very nicely, all while there is some nice humor and cute moments. This feel-good show does exactly just that, and then some with these nicely crafted episodes.

Space Patrol Luluco - This has become one of the best short series out there, and a big reason why is because of the parodies of Trigger shows that take up the bulk of this month's episodes. They are funny and nicely done to make this short worth watching.

Falling

Joker Game - This show has gotten stale with the whole spy-of-the-week type of thing. But above all, this show is becoming increasingly fragmented and I am having a really tough time connecting with the characters seeing that in a show like this, everybody takes on different identities. This is growing into a show where the whole is less than the sum of its parts.

Haven't You Heard? I'm Sakamoto - Pretty much, this show recycles the same things over again, and while it makes a nice attempt to change things up, the end result is repetitiveness in that Sakamoto is always doing things in style.

High School Fleet - While the individual episodes are nice, I feel like its getting away from what it set itself out to do in that there's some sort of conspiracy going on, but the majority of the focus is on the action that I feel is getting a lot more focus than it needs.

Comment

Post-Simulcast Report: May 15-31

Next post-simulcast report is here in regards to shows watched during the latter half of May 2016. It took awhile to get done as I have lots of reviews to write after watching so much stuff in advance of the Hulu purge. Anyway, here are my final thoughts for everything that I did finish.

Completed

Black Butler: Book of Circus (1-10): A-
                          This season gets back to the manga, and what a difference it makes as the anime-exclusive stuff was mostly terrible. It gets back to doing what it had been doing best and with a long story arc, the emotional impact is simply stunning thanks to a well-constructed story. Just about the only thing this season does wrong is that it leaves off with a few things unsettled and given that it was only ten episodes that it could have used an extra two episodes to close the case completely.

Saber Marionette R (1-3): F
                          Back when it came out, I was told to avoid this show like a plague, and now that I had a chance to watch this without having to waste money on the DVD, I whole-heartedly agree. This show just totally gets away from what the Saber Marionette series had done so well as it just doesn't work when the mood is so dark from start to finish. To summarize this train wreck, the story is rushed, the animation quality takes a nosedive, the fight scenes were lacking in sizzle, and the characters just are not interesting at all.

Junkers Come Here (movie): B
                          Here is one of Junichi Sato's early works, and he does a nice job in character development here as it was nicely done to set the stage for a great climactic scene at the end. While the story and overall presentation is great, this show is dragged down a bit by a slow start as I didn't really get engaged with this movie until midway through, and an animation style that I wasn't exactly impressed with even for its time.

Simoun (4-26): B
                          This show got off to a slow start by introducing so many characters and terminology that I had a hard time trying to keep things straight. But after a rough start where the amount of info dumping would turn away many viewers, the show settles in and becomes focused with the conflict at hand, all while backing off on the yuri vibes a bit after overdoing it in the beginning. From there, the show was all about relationships, the impact of war, and a soul-searching journey leading to a show that hits its stride towards the end.

True Tears (1-13): B+
                          This show is a romantic drama, and it is nicely done sending a message about why falling in love is a process and not something that just happens in an instant. The character growth is really nice, and the animation is nicely done by P.A. Works. On the flip side, however, this show stumbles in a few ways as the character can been challenge to put up with and the story becomes too complex that things aren't flowing well in places. But in all, it's a show that came out to send a message about the dangers of unnatural love.

Alien Nine (rewatched, 1-4): B
                          This OVA series has a solid story foundation that's all about three girls with completely different backgrounds being in charged of defeating alien invaders, and for MC she goes through an awful lot of trauma. This is one of the first titles ever that mixed in moe with mature themes, and it comes off pretty nicely. The story is solidly written given that it is just a four episode OVA and the characters get some solid development to make for a nice show.

Stratos 4 (1-13): C
                          This show took awhile to get going as the beginning was just about destroying meteors leading to an awfully stale plot. It got decent towards the end when a big revelation about the main characters sets things into motion, but by that time it was too little, too late for this show. Among the good points about this show are the decent character development and the comet-busting action was nice. But the biggest problem for this show is the messy construction of the story as it just didn't flow making it hard to watch at times.

Ongoing

[DBZ-K] Dragon Ball Z Kai (68-70)
                          [FTL-2] Fairy Tail (219-226)
                          [FCB-2] Future Card Buddyfight 100 (45-48)
                          [HXH] Hunter x Hunter (4-6)
                          [YYH] Yu Yu Hakusho (67-86)

Dropped

Nothing

Comment

Post-Simulcast Report: June 1-15

Time for another post-simulcast report, this time for the first half of June.

Completed

Future Card Buddyfight 100 (48-50): B-
                            Compared to the first season, this one has a better story overall, and the way the plot progressed is nicely done given the fact that this is a kids show designed to market the card game. The story was a lot more focused this time around than in the first season that made for quite a nice story, all the Buddyfighting action had a lot of nice drama to it. Even so, the show still puts its priorities into showcasing the new cards more so than anything leading to some issues with the flow of the story seeing that there's a duel in just about every episode once again.

Sekirei (1-12, OVA): C
                            The show got off to a fairly generic start for a heavily ecchi show. The plot was all over the place all while there was just too much focus on fanservice and not enough on the story. Things really don't get going for this show until the end when the situation becomes really serious and it sets the stage for big things to go down in the second half.

Sekirei: Pure Engagement (1-13): B
                            This season is a huge improvement over the first as the story is better constructed and the stories of Kazehana, Homura, and Uzume are all far more interesting than of the other Sekireis and nicely constructed. Still, the show is ecchi overload, but this season is far more focused and the impact from everything that happened just leaves much more of an impact than with the first season. Of course, with the fights in full force in this season that the action is nicely done given what the show's nature is.

Durarara!! x2 (rewatching, 25-36): A-
                            Overall, this season follows the first season very nicely in continuing the chaos. The first and third cours do an excellent job in character development, drama buildup, and several other things to set the stage for a really intense and nicely done climax. However, the second cour was weak in that it opts to do character-of-the-week leading to a fragmented story. That said, it builds upon the first season extremely well as a whole.

Ongoing

[HXH] Hunter x Hunter (7-8)
                            [PKM-XYZ] Pokemon XYZ (13-15)
                            [PSP-2] Psycho-Pass 2 (rewatching, 1-4)
                            [SER] Seraph of the End (rewatching, 3-12)
                            [YYH] Yu Yu Hakusho (87-103)

Dropped

Nothing

Comment

Spring 2016 Simulcast Rankings: June

With another season of simulcast in the books, it is time for me to wrap things up with the final leaderboard of the season. As usual, I mark which shows are trending upward in green, and downwards in red, as well as indicate change of tiers. The rankings are all based on episodes airing during this season only.

Home Run
                              My Hero Academia

Base Hit
                              Flying Witch
                              Mobile Suit Gundam Unicorn Re:0096
                              Kiznaiver
                              Space Patrol Luluco
                              Super Lovers
                              The Asterisk War
                              Rainbow Days (Promoted)
                              Shonen Maid (Promoted)

Walk
                              And you thought there is never a girl online?
                              High School Fleet
                              Joker Game
                              Bakuon!!
                              Kumamiko: Girl Meets Bear
                              Twin Star Exorcists

Flyout
                              Pan de Peace!

Strikeout
                              Wagamama High Spec
                              Usakame

Rising

Assassination Classroom Second Season - This show had been on the borderline between the top tier and the bottom for this season, but after a perfect ending that there's no question it belongs in that tier, and at the very least this season does. While the season as a whole doesn't beat Re:Zero or My Hero Academia as a whole when all 25 episodes are factored in, from the episodes in this cour (14-25), it is the head of the class.

High School Fleet - For ten episodes, the formula has pretty much been the same splitting time between battling other ships whose crew has been brainwashed, and living life on the ship as if it were a funhouse. It wasn't always that way, but it sure did feel like it. That changes in the final two episodes when things become serious and it's all about the MC earning her stripes as a captain. Then the final scene just leads to some really big-time feels all to boost this show's stock.

Rainbow Days - This show has been holding steady in the middle tier, but this show makes the leap into the next tier up with a nice way to develop the main couple at the end. There was a lot of drama that went into this, but the end result is a very satisfying romance story that works as half-length episodes.

Falling

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress - After a strong start that puts its place at the head of the season, things drop off considerably in the final episodes due mostly to a very badly written character entering the scene. He suddenly appears and ends up being a simple one-dimensional menace and while there's supposed to be a hit of sympathy in this guy, it failed to mesh in with the character. That said, the production values are still impressive, which is why it slides only to the head of the second tier and not anything lower than that.

Kumammiko: Girl Meets Bear - The first ten episodes were fun stuff, but the final two episodes ruin things. There was hope to be character growth in the final two episodes when Machi gets an opportunity of a lifetime, but it ends in a unfittingly depressing manner. It would have been better to stay the same way through to the end rather than pull something like that off.

The Asterisk War - This has more to do with the fact that the ending is more of a teaser for things to come and an advertisement for the light novel series than it is a proper ending. That said, it wasn't bad stuff, but it was trying to take on too much to end things and tease about a potential third season that may or may not happen.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X