X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Spring 2016] Flying Witch Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    ふらいんぐうぃっち

A show about a girl who is a professional witch moving north to train and gain experience learning the ways of the witch all while spending some quality time living with her cousins seeing that she hasn't seen them for six years.

Airs: Saturday, April 9

Studio: J.C. Staff

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Crunchyroll

Aomori, Japan. In a land blessed by nature’s bountiful beauty, bizarre things begin to take place. Makoto Kowata, 15 years old, is a professional witch. She left Yokohama with Chito, her black cat, to live in the house of her relatives in Aomori. This is where she begins to train as a witch. Even though Makoto’s powers are still limited to just flying through the sky, she and her second cousins Kei and Chinatsu surely make the most out of each and every day.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    Last edited by Buckeye; 04-09-2016, 10:07 PM.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Nene Yoshiro, Toilet-bound Hanako-kun
    Watching: Luck & Logic, Soul Link, Happiness, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FGO, MHA, MJN, CHF, HIQ, TOA-R, ISQ, YUC, YKN, IIV, EIZ, SET, IBG, SML, OBD, JSH, RKO, SRW, PMM, INS
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

When vegetables scream, that's a rare item.

It all begins with Makoto and her black cat moving to Hirosaki to live with her cousins Chinatu and Kei after spending six years in Yokohama, and while she is a professional witch, just about the only thing she can do at the moment is fly. She starts life at school being in the same class as Nao, who is a close friend of Kei's. Then she spots a rare plant, one with a deadly scream, but is quite valuable for its medicinal usage.

That was pretty nice and laid-back, and certainly it makes for a relaxing show. Given the setup of the show things could get crazy, but that was certainly not necessary. The chemistry between the characters is nicely established, all while the witchcraft aspect was put aside for most of this episode to establish these connections. But that moment with that screaming daikon certainly came out of nowhere to scare the heck out of me. That mandrake sure does make the 12th Man at Centurylink Field feel like a library. I'm enjoying this so far, and for now I'll keep watching before deciding what to follow based on how it stacks up against the other shows this season.
    Simulcasts: FGO, MHA, MJN, CHF, HIQ, TOA-R, ISQ, YUC, YKN, IIV, EIZ, SET, IBG, SML, OBD, JSH, RKO, SRW, PMM, INS
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

Another nice SoL show. I looked up mandrakes to see if they look that freaky, and they do indeed look that freaky (along with loads of superstition attached to them).
      Avatar: Shimarin from Laid Back Camo.

Comment

It was a while before Nao asked the question that was on my mind. Makoto seems to hold nothing back about her being a witch and being able to fly on a broom with the people she meets this time, and her reason for turning down going to school by broom had nothing to do with keeping a secret. But Nao was quite amusingly shocked so it seemed like the "common people" do not know. So apparently they are sort of kept secret. It's just in Makoto's silly sweet personality to act like that. Chinatsu and Nao reacting to that was nice for the most part. And it looks like there are more potentially interesting characters to come.

Wrong Japanese title again.
        Originally posted by Buckeye View Post
        坂本ですが?
        Should be this:
        ふらいんぐうぃっち
        Last edited by EmperorBrandon; 04-09-2016, 09:41 PM.

Comment

Nothing inherently wrong with the premise, but I find the execution just a tad too dull to get into. It's possible I give it another episode, but I'm thinking probably not. I imagine it's a normal enough reaction for this show to bring up thoughts of Kiki, but that doesn't really affect my enjoyment of this show for better or worse. It's one of those simple slice of life shows with a supernatural premise that would usually result in a very different tone but is ultimately only there to add some unique amusement to what would otherwise be normal life (and is still remarkably close despite that fantastical element). Could work, but not quite feeling it.
          My Top Anime | Manga
          My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
          My FP Reviews | Twitter
          FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

I like to go on about any good slice of life show succeeding because of off-kilter characters, so this fits that bill. The drawn out and even plain weird ending bit with the mandrake (and the precurosr conversation at the opening ceremony where Makoto surprises even herself by realizing the witch thing is actually supposed to be a private thing) maybe epitomizes how unpredictable this could be. I did like Chinatsu's reaction, running back and forth delighted that Makoto's a witch, when they got home. Along with Nao, she's the best written character so far.
            Avatar: Tsumugi, Sweetness & Lightning
            TFP Forum Rules

Comment

This was nice. The atmosphere was quite nice and serene. I really liked the character interactions here. Chinatsu was first suspicious of Makoto but then befriended her on their trip to the nearby shops. Lol her wtf face when Makoto sat on a broom and started flying. The comedy was quite nice here too. Lol Makoto took out a radish with a loud scream, arms and legs and gave it to Nao as a gift.

My only complaint is Kei's voice acting which felt a bit off. The rest was done quite nicely. I'll continue with this since it looks like it'll be a nice little slice of life show.
              My ReviewsMy MAL ProfileMy Anime List

Comment

Episode 2

"You're so sweet". Absolutely the truth. Not just mom bias for Chinatsu. Mom is pretty and seems rather sweet herself. Sweet as she is, though, Chinatsu has been taught well to beware suspicious-looking strangers. Haha, so that's a "Harbinger of Spring", and of course also seemingly a nice guy despite the fact I'm not surprised at all Chinatsu is so scared at his appearance. The reactions there were so absolutely hilarious to me.

Makoto is so thrilled at not getting her directions mixed up that she has to go write it in her diary, only to screw up right when she goes to do that. Love it. And speaking of Makoto's quirkiness... I just knew that was a dream with the drenched Nao rather early on. Love how Makoto has to pass the message on her good luck right away, much to Nao's confusion. But then Nao buys into it in a very cute way, all the way up to the post-credits scene.

This series is looking up so far. So much iyashikei goodness.
                Last edited by EmperorBrandon; 04-17-2016, 05:38 AM.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

She's getting super lucky.

Something strange has come for Makoto, and it turns out to be the harbinger of spring. Then while Makoto was dozing off in class, she sees Nao as being super lucky, and she goes out picking some sort of Brussels sprout from off the road to deep fry. That was pretty amusing seeing Chinatsu freaking out at the bizarre appearance of the harbinger, while that whole bakke picking part goes to show just how resourceful Makoto is. That's another nice and relaxing episode there, and certainly everybody is getting along quite well even if there are some quirks that need to be sorted out.

Comment

Definitely the slowest of this season's SoL shows, this show is nonetheless endearing. Chinastu is best.

Comment

Chinastu is too cute. I'm digging this slice-of-life plus witch fusion. Very charming. I wonder if bakke is akin to brussel sprouts. Not a fan of brussel sprouts, although if I absolutely had to have them, tempura style sounds like it would be the least noxious method.

Comment

Episode 3

There's a wrong way to catch a bird.

Makoto decides to create a vegetable garden at the hose, but weeds need to be pulled and the soil needs to fertilize before that can happen. While that's going on, there's a pheasant that Makoto wants to catch, but can't all while her uncle scares it away. Then her big sister drops in from Africa to pay a visit to Makoto and she teaches her a spell to attract a crow. But when Makoto tries, she uses her hair instead of an ordinary human's hair that draws an entire flock. That was pretty funny to see Makoto's reaction when shes her sister and Kenny in the house, as well as having a crow land on her head. Anyway, this show continues to do what it sets out to do very nicely, and it's starting to grow on me.

So with that, I'm pretty sure it will be in, but I'm not quite ready to say it is at the moment.

Comment

Re: Episode 3

This series continues to not only be soothing, but ultimately charming. I just can't take my eyes off all of the little mannerisms shown by Makoto, Chinatsu, and everybody else too. Even the cats and pheasant get in on the act!

...and twintail Makoto is good too.
                          Proudly Part of the Eli-chan Fanclub
                          Eardrums be damned, she's so cute!

Find me in the Blogs, on Youtube and occasionally Twitch.

Comment

Originally posted by Jun Kuga View Post
                            This series continues to not only be soothing, but ultimately charming. I just can't take my eyes off all of the little mannerisms shown by Makoto, Chinatsu, and everybody else too. Even the cats and pheasant get in on the act!

...and twintail Makoto is good too.
                            Yep, pure iyashikei goodness. A really nice way to relax on the weekend.
                            Avatar: Craft Lawrence from Spice and Wolf.
                            Scratchy for Tama is angry.
                            Casually Reviewing: ???

Comment

Huh, Flying Witch is one of CR's top favorite shows.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X