X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Spring 2016] Three Leaves, Three Colors (Sansha Sanyou) Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    三者三葉

A show about three girls with three very different personalities becoming friends and doing all sorts of crazy things

Airs: Sunday, April 10

Studio: Dogakobo

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Funimation

Futaba Odagiri is the new transfer student with a super energetic personality; Teru Hayama is the class president with a surprisingly mean personality contrary to her innocent looks; and Youko Nishikawa is from a formerly rich, now extremely poor family who still holds on to her princess attitude. These three unlikely students with clashing personalities become good friends and survive the day-to-day teenage life in a very funny story.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Lecia Ivyred, The Rising of the Shield Hero
    Watching: Kyo Kara Maoh, Pokemon Sun and Moon, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, DRO, CQK, RSH, AOT, BSD, FRB, OPM, KYB, FGN, SKS, MLA, SMT, HBS, KOT, MIX, WNL, KMA, FIL, IDM, ISQ, SRG, STW
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Three's a crowd when it comes to bread.

Yoko, Futaba, and Hayama meet together under a tree by chance where they instantly become friends, and the way it happened is pretty funny with Futaba running with a bunch of bread while Hayama was chasing the cat. This episode focuses on Yoko, whose family used to be rich, but with their family business going bankrupt that everybody is poor and Yoko is resorting to dieting on bread crusts. Yoko sure had it rough seeing that she's living off bread crusts and food past its expiration date, but her outlook certainly can go nowhere but up with Futaba and Hayama around. That was a solid start to this show, and certainly Yoko's situation is something to watch for going forward with this.
    Simulcasts: FTL, DRO, CQK, RSH, AOT, BSD, FRB, OPM, KYB, FGN, SKS, MLA, SMT, HBS, KOT, MIX, WNL, KMA, FIL, IDM, ISQ, SRG, STW
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

An adorable start with some highly detailed, beautiful animation. Looks like the top-runner for best SoL show this season. Definite keeper, especially for a frugal ojou-sama :D

Comment

*Points to current avatar*

Pretty clear that I like this show so far. Funny, cute and sweet altogether.
        Avatar: Craft Lawrence from Spice and Wolf.
        Scratchy for Tama is angry.
        Casually Reviewing: ???

Comment

Originally posted by Hitsugi Amachi View Post
          *Points to current avatar*

Pretty clear that I like this show so far. Funny, cute and sweet altogether.
          Yeah, an excellent pick too. Among the top OPs/EDs this season as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Sensuifu View Post
            An adorable start with some highly detailed, beautiful animation.
            Dogakobo really seems to excel at those cute little bits of animation. Their cute girls shows are a bit more hit or miss for me lately, but they prove to be very memorable to me when they do hit, and feels like this one is one of those.

I could tell from the "desu wa's" that Youko was an ojousama. Though then we see her thriftiness and living situation, and I figured out that twist before the hapless former servant before. Very heartwarming to see how she takes to making friends. I also like how the megane iinchou has a surprisingly devious side.

Also may be in the running for most adorable on both the OP and ED.
            Last edited by EmperorBrandon; 04-10-2016, 06:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by EmperorBrandon View Post
              I could tell from the "desu wa's" that Youko was an ojousama.
              You, too, are quite a linguist.

The overall funniness of the Sansha San'yō 4-koma manga is partly produced by Nishikawa Yōko's speaking about plebeian stuff in the upper-class sociolect. Probably a similar thing will be done also in the anime version. The English subtitles may not convey the stylistic/sociolectal feel of the Japanese lines spoken by Yōko, but if you bear Yōko's speaking in an upper-class sociolect in mind when you watch the Sansha San'yō anime, maybe it will increase fun of watching the anime version.

I don't know whether the anime version will have an equivalent scene, but the Sansha San'yō 4-koma manga has

Spoiler ->a scene where Futaba jokingly imitates Yōko's upper-class sociolect.

YamaG's 'gentleman's gentleman' dialect, too, is funny.

Comment

Animation detail was striking, indeed--while I'm hit or miss on this theme of late in anime (+ Wakaba Girl; - Shomin Sample) that makes it more fun to hang around, if they can keep it up.

Voice cast was also interesting. I thought I'd heard Futaba before, but Mai Kanazawa is pretty much new here, with a very distinctive voice (hadn't really heard that kind of tone/casting since seemingly one-off Yui Nakajima, Kanaka in Aiura). But Youko is pretty new, as well, with Yuu Wakui's previous experience only being Aikatsu. I always like hearing new talent, especially different from the norm. Kanazawa's voice for Futaba is certainly unique in a way I like, but I could see some finding it unusual.
                Avatar: Tsumugi, Sweetness & Lightning
                Moderation: General Anime; English Track; Movie; TV | TFP Forum Rules
                Please Support The Fandom Post

Comment

Originally posted by bctaris View Post
                  Voice cast was also interesting. I thought I'd heard Futaba before, but Mai Kanazawa is pretty much new here, with a very distinctive voice (hadn't really heard that kind of tone/casting since seemingly one-off Yui Nakajima, Kanaka in Aiura). But Youko is pretty new, as well, with Yuu Wakui's previous experience only being Aikatsu. I always like hearing new talent, especially different from the norm. Kanazawa's voice for Futaba is certainly unique in a way I like, but I could see some finding it unusual.
                  Ah, I hadn't even looked at the voice cast yet. I've heard Wakui in Aikatsu, and it's funny because she voices a long purple haired girl there too, but she gets to do a rather different personality with this one.

Comment

These girls would get along with the Pan de Peace! girls.

But yeah, unsurprisingly, another cute girl show in which I find nothing to care about.
                    My Top Anime | Manga
                    My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                    My FP Reviews | Twitter
                    FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Another cute SoL about FRIENDSHIP. The animation is top notch. This is from the same studio and mangaka as Engaged to the Unidentified, correct? They have a unique way of animating head movements.
                      Avatar: Shimarin from Laid Back Camo.

Comment

Episode 2

If it don't taste good, then it is good.

After the first episode focused on Yoko, this one focuses on Teru as it introduces her longtime rival Nishiyama and her older sister Kou. Teru loves animals, and Nishiyama ends up adopting a cat that she found. And then there is Kou, who is all about nutrition when she cooks as she ends up putting in so many gross things into whatever she cooks. Not to mention, Kou is super lucky when it comes to raffles seeing that she won the grand prize. That was pretty funny the way the girls around Teru's life are introduced. Next episode figures to be about Futaba.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

I also like how the megane iinchou has a surprisingly devious side.
                          And now the focus is on that adorable "demon". It's all for her resume , and she actually rubs in it on her rival rather than taking the high route. Like how they've twisted around that character type with Teru. As much as she spars with Nishiyama, Teru's animal lover self can at least appreciate the intense moe with Nishiyama's cat situation. Was sweet where they went with that.

I was expecting Teru's sister would be a kind of "angel" to balance her out, though also not surprising that she's more frightening in a way. Out of concern for her others' "health" she whips up some strange concoctions of foods that should never be mixed together. Poor Futaba, but the visual gag with her being "floored" was hilarious. There's a bit of a heartwarming backstory to that too, with Teru having fit the sickly stereotype in the past and her oneechan was looking out for her. As with a lot of things with these sisters, though, the results are twisted around. Even knowing the dangers, Youko can't just let food go to waste...

Comment

I was expecting Teru's sister would be a kind of "angel" to balance her out, though also not surprising that she's more frightening in a way. Out of concern for her others' "health" she whips up some strange concoctions of foods that should never be mixed together. Poor Futaba, but the visual gag with her being "floored" was hilarious.
                            Teru's oneechan is truly an angel; and I guess it shows too seeing how she's lucky winning all those raffles. I wouldn't mind trying out her weird food combinations though. You never know if it's actually good until you've tried it

There's a bit of a heartwarming backstory to that too, with Teru having fit the sickly stereotype in the past and her oneechan was looking out for her. As with a lot of things with these sisters, though, the results are twisted around. Even knowing the dangers, Youko can't just let food go to waste...
                            Love Youko. So considerate and respectful for the meal she's been given, even if it isn't exactly palatable. But on the bright side, I think I'd rather stomach that than what she's been eating all this time. Bread crumbs with mayo? yuck.

Comment

Even knowing the dangers, Youko can't just let food go to waste...
                              Yoko is, as always, adorable. But she really needs to improve her diet a bit, even if Kou's riceballs are not the way to do it.
                              Avatar: Craft Lawrence from Spice and Wolf.
                              Scratchy for Tama is angry.
                              Casually Reviewing: ???

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X