Widgets Magazine

And you thought there is never a girl online? Discussion Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Spring 2016] And you thought there is never a girl online? Discussion Thread

Widgets Magazine
    ネトゲの嫁は女の子じゃないと思った?

A show about a guy who spends lots of time playing online games looking for a waifu not realizing that there are more girls playing online games than he thinks, and a girl who can't tell the difference between online world and reality.

Airs: Thursday, April 7

Studio: Project No. 9

ANN Entry
    My Anime List
    Official Site
    Funimation

Hideki Nishimura confessed to a person he thought was a girl online, only for that person to turn out to be a boy. He keeps this "black history" secret and swears to never to trust a "girl" online again. However, one day a girl online confesses to him, and it turns out she's actually a beautiful girl named Ako Tamaki. Ako cannot tell the difference between the online world and reality, and she is a loner who has trouble communicating. Hideki and his friends from his guild decide to work together to "correct" her.

Notes
    As usual, please try to follow these three easy forum courtesy habits when replying:
    1) If you're the first person to post about an episode in any given week, please respond to the root post (this post) and indicate in the subject line which episode you're posting about.
    2) If someone has already posted about an episode before you, please respond to that post (or a relevant reply to that post). Keep in the right subthread.
    3) Don't use the "Reply to Thread" button because it causes your reply not to correctly inherit the subject line of the post you're replying to. Just click "Reply" to the post you want to reply to.

For more guidelines please refer to this thread.
    MyAnimeList | Avatar: Nanako Yukishiro, Senryu Girl
    Watching: Ingress, Ancient Magus' Bride, Pokemon Sun and Moon, Toonami Stuff
    Simulcasts: FTL, DRO, CQK, RSH, AOT, BSD, FRB, OPM, KYB, FGN, SKS, MLA, SMT, HBS, KOT, MIX, WNL, KMA, FIL, IDM, ISQ, SRG, STW
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Episode 1

Who ever said that there weren't girls online?

Hideki sure does love his games, and his party is a dysfunctional one just like the one in Konosuba where Ako keeps on using her magic totally wrong, while the other party members are chatting in the middle of the battlefield leading to Rusian having to fend for himself. And then they decide to meet IRL where Ako looks exactly like her in-game avatar, while the other two guys happen to be girls going to his school IRL. That was a decent way to begin this show with the shock value of learning who is controlling the players, especially the girl Hideki proposed to that happens to be controlled by a guy. I'll watch some more of this for the time being.
    Simulcasts: FTL, DRO, CQK, RSH, AOT, BSD, FRB, OPM, KYB, FGN, SKS, MLA, SMT, HBS, KOT, MIX, WNL, KMA, FIL, IDM, ISQ, SRG, STW
    The only thing better than anime is sports. Get hit hard and you got JACKED UP! Or else it's a C'mon Man!

Comment

Re: Episode 1

That was somewhat refreshing in a not-"not another stuck in/unexpectedly transported to an RPG world" show. The crosstalk between real life and in-game play was done particularly well; which didn't actually resort to too much internal monologue/self-awareness that's become far too common in the most recent shows. Will see how this pans out, but it's looking like something I'll enjoy in the long haul.

Comment

Originally posted by Sensuifu View Post
        That was somewhat refreshing in a not-"not another stuck in/unexpectedly transported to an RPG world" show. The crosstalk between real life and in-game play was done particularly well; which didn't actually resort to too much internal monologue/self-awareness that's become far too common in the most recent shows. Will see how this pans out, but it's looking like something I'll enjoy in the long haul.
        Basically, though I'm not sure it has enough to stoke my interest for the long term. We have a bunch of character archetypes and a situation…but I'm not sure there's enough here to make it compelling to see more of.
        Avatar: Craft Lawrence from Spice and Wolf.
        Scratchy for Tama is angry.
        Casually Reviewing: ???

Comment

Originally posted by Hitsugi Amachi View Post
          Basically, though I'm not sure it has enough to stoke my interest for the long term. We have a bunch of character archetypes and a situation…but I'm not sure there's enough here to make it compelling to see more of.
          While KonoSuba relied on self-awareness, it was pretty well executed. Also helped it was a comedy and seeing how this show fits within the same vein, I guess I won't be so critical as I am with the other serious shows. While this series doesn't seem it'll go the same route, there is that gap between RL and their online personas which could provide for some interesting comedy if not commentary (as we've seen a bit of already with their enlightening Ako with 'net-etiquette'.) KonoSuba had nothing really going for it either seeing how it was mostly situational comedy, so I'm guessing there won't be much difference with this series. If nothing else, this should provide some balance against the darker-themed Re:Zero, just like KonoSuba did for Grimgar last season.

Comment

While KonoSuba relied on self-awareness, it was pretty well executed. Also helped it was a comedy and seeing how this show fits within the same vein, I guess I won't be so critical as I am with the other serious shows. While this series doesn't seem it'll go the same route, there is that gap between RL and their online personas which could provide for some interesting comedy if not commentary (as we've seen a bit of already with their enlightening Ako with 'net-etiquette'.) KonoSuba had nothing really going for it either seeing how it was mostly situational comedy, so I'm guessing there won't be much difference with this series. If nothing else, this should provide some balance against the darker-themed Re:Zero, just like KonoSuba did for Grimgar last season.
            True, but the problem so far is that NetoGe (not sure what the abbreviated name for this thing is) has given us little beyond that "Rusian" had come to expect there are no women in the online world and lo and behold his entire party (guild) is filled with girls including one who loves him, one who may be tsundere towards him and one who's perhaps a mentor/helping figure. I have read the premise and so we're supposed to expect Ako to turn out to be more messed up (socially isolated and maladjusted) than she seems so far.

But beyond that, it's just another pale otaku pandering fantasy of finding a hot girlfriend unexpectedly (this is yet another Magical Girlfriend, version E or whatever). I'll give it another episode, but it has not established any reasons to care yet about these characters.

Comment

The internet. Where men are men, women are men, and underage females are FBI agents.

Okay, I loved this first episode. I'm a long time gamer, and a lot of times I've taken female avatars, although I've never pretended to be anything other than a guy (and with guild voce chat, there's no mistaking that I'm a guy, heh). But I've had people whisper propositions to me who just see me in game, and not in guild chat. So, the confession scene? ROFLMAO! I liked how they did the credits in a dialogue box; nice touch!

But, yes, girls (of all ages) do game, and some do as guys, just to avoid the harassment issues that can happen, or to avoid the inevitable swarming that happens. Some of the biggest drama that happens is when girls get hit on by people in spectacularly bad fashion. My own story on why I chose a female avatar sometimes? Well, if you've ever played a Tomb Raider game, or any of the other games out there with female leads, so have you. But a started playing World of Warcraft 10 years ago, and my first character was a guy, and I found that the male models were, 1) butt ugly, and 2) that I got a better field of vision playing a female character do to the smaller body model. There are guys who pretend to be girls online, and any number of other reasons that guys portray girls online, and vice versa for the ladies.

So, a nice harem comedy has started and I like how they've done this 1st episode. It rang very true.
              My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
              1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
              2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
              3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

But beyond that, it's just another pale otaku pandering fantasy of finding a hot girlfriend unexpectedly (this is yet another Magical Girlfriend, version E or whatever).
                Yeah, but when you boil it down, Pride & Prejudice is simply pandering to young women looking for a hot, rich husband, isn't it? Meaning this kind of targeting is nothing new, and has been going on forever for both sexes. I certainly can understand you not liking the genre (the whole "Romance" section in any bookstore does that to me), but to dismiss it because of that is still overbroad.
                My Avatar: The lovely Mikuru Asahina from The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Why do I stick with her in a world of constantly changing avatars? Because:
                1) Her friendly, playful attitude in that picture, (despite being forced unwillingly into cosplay), reflects my own friendly, playful personality;
                2) Mikuru-chan is an excellent combo of smoking hot and super sweet cuteness; and
                3) It makes it easiier for me to find my own posts in threads.

Comment

Oh hey, that was actually pretty okay. The title and how it played into the story was pretty funny.
                  My Top Anime | Manga
                  My Collection 1 | 2 | 3
                  My FP Reviews | Twitter
                  FPR Episodes | iTunes

Comment

Ako is the highlight of the show. Sweet, and slightly nuts.
                    Avatar: Shimarin from Laid Back Camo.

Comment

Originally posted by General Hentai View Post
                      But beyond that, it's just another pale otaku pandering fantasy of finding a hot girlfriend unexpectedly (this is yet another Magical Girlfriend, version E or whatever).
                      Yeah, but when you boil it down, Pride & Prejudice is simply pandering to young women looking for a hot, rich husband, isn't it? Meaning this kind of targeting is nothing new, and has been going on forever for both sexes. I certainly can understand you not liking the genre (the whole "Romance" section in any bookstore does that to me), but to dismiss it because of that is still overbroad.
                      I suspect Austen is a better writer than whoever did this light novel.

The problem is that if this first episode represents all of the cards they have to play, they haven't even put a pair of twos on the table. I suspect there is more, based upon the official plot synopsis, but unless they start doing something more with it, this is going nowhere worthwhile.

Comment

Originally posted by General Hentai View Post
                        The internet. Where men are men, women are men, and underage females are FBI agents.

Okay, I loved this first episode. I'm a long time gamer, and a lot of times I've taken female avatars, although I've never pretended to be anything other than a guy (and with guild voce chat, there's no mistaking that I'm a guy, heh). But I've had people whisper propositions to me who just see me in game, and not in guild chat. So, the confession scene? ROFLMAO! I liked how they did the credits in a dialogue box; nice touch!
                        Not much of a hardcore gamer nowadays, but back when I was, I did use female avatars. And yes, I've had people hit on me because not only was I using a female character, I also aliased as one. And this was in a FPS, which should give a clue that it's almost undeniably going to be a guy behind the character. Nevertheless, there were people who really believed I was a she. I guess it didn't help I had to join right after a real female player (who unsurprisingly was using the same skin), was a regular on the server. We all knew she was the real deal because (no offense to the ladies out there) she stood out from the rest (skill-wise) but most importantly, she used the in-game voice chat to communicate. She was indeed a real female playing as a female...

But I was a dick.

The inquiries and invites got so annoying to the point I just went with it, leading them on, and assuring them I was really a female. Then things got even more amusing..so I used a vocoder to mask my voice as a girl (before the tech was built-in) and they still wouldn't believe I was a guy despite the many, earlier attempts prior to all my shenanigans, that I really was a dude. And no it wasn't because I sucked at the game, but most of the players used the bulky guys for their characters, which I didn't like. So when I dialed down the vocoder back to 'normal', the rest was history...

But, yes, girls (of all ages) do game, and some do as guys, just to avoid the harassment issues that can happen, or to avoid the inevitable swarming that happens. Some of the biggest drama that happens is when girls get hit on by people in spectacularly bad fashion. My own story on why I chose a female avatar sometimes? Well, if you've ever played a Tomb Raider game, or any of the other games out there with female leads, so have you. But a started playing World of Warcraft 10 years ago, and my first character was a guy, and I found that the male models were, 1) butt ugly, and 2) that I got a better field of vision playing a female character do to the smaller body model. There are guys who pretend to be girls online, and any number of other reasons that guys portray girls online, and vice versa for the ladies.
                        The models were my main issue with the game I played as well. For some odd reason I also felt the bulky, male counterparts/skins were somewhat more 'visible' than the thinner, more agile skin I used. Despite the hitboxes being practically the same across avatars, I never felt that they really were and by having an agile, female model, gave me a slight advantage with the evasive moveset/animations. The bigger models couldn't tumble and somersault the way the thinner, female models could, thus my preference. That was my initial choice for that very reason, but then all the 'sexual harassment/don't touch me!' silliness started happening, despite revealing my real gender when I first joined. But I suppose those players really fantasized having more than one real female on the same server was a godsend. Make that two, because my brother whom I tag-teamed with, did the same

So, a nice harem comedy has started and I like how they've done this 1st episode. It rang very true.
                        It'll be interesting to see where this really goes, though I can also see where Hitsugi's point lies as there is the possibility not much will be done since everything seems to have been set-up/revealed. But according to some discussion elsewhere, this is

Spoiler ->supposedly not going to be your typical harem-esque relationship and will be more focused on the reciprocation between Anko and Hideki.

Not sure whether that's believable as I don't even know the source, but it will definitely be interesting to see develop if true. I'm thinking it could be seeing how he was burned in-game, only to face the reality behind it- so entrusting himself to '3D girls' (who happen to be the very same offenders that committed such deception), similar to the dude who victimized him, should be worthwhile to see.

Comment

I liked this. My one quibble with the eppie was the standard homosexual panic that anime is so fond of. So, MC proposed to a female avatar who turned out to be a dude IRL and the trauma was so great he solo played for a solid year? Oi vey. Setting that bit of shite aside, a fun, enjoyable bit of fluff.

Comment

Episode 2

What happens in the game stays in the game.

Ako sure doesn't understand that the real world is much different from the gaming world there calling everybody by their user names at school. There's a time and place for all that, but Ako just is clueless. That's pretty hilarious seeing Ako go wild like that. Seeing that everybody from the party goes to the same school that a club is created for playing and socializing over online games in the same room. Pretty solid episode this is.

Comment

Re: Episode 2

huh, Ako is quite the unfortunate soul. This is turning out more interesting than I thought, seeing how this could be more about transforming Ako than it has anything to do with the rest of the group or their net-gaming. Nice of Master to setup the club just for Ako and Hideki, but mainly for Ako help her distinguish between reality and fantasy. People like Ako have some kind of mental disorder in real life, so it'll be interesting to see this group's attempts/approach to get her to change (as unbelievable as that may be in reality). Also seems a bit like a parallel to Chuu2-koi, only with a net-gaming premise, so maybe we'll see some melodrama in the future as well.

Comment

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine

Channels

Collapse

Widgets Magazine
                              Widgets Magazine
                              Working...
                              X